My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

Postby Grieffon » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:37 pm

Apparently some people got their hands on the entire outline of the S4 premier, so you all may want to avoid anything that say S4 spoiler. 3 days left, better not spoil it.

Postby Hiroko » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:59 pm

I don't know if this has been linked before, but...I am both extremely amused and disturbed by this animation at the same time.

Friendship is Manly (NSFW)
Reason for being NSFW:    Expect super manly men in underwear making mundane things look sensual, basically.   
The Sentimental One

Postby Blood Lord » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:25 pm

My feelings were the same when I saw it on YouTube.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Saint Soul » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:16 pm

Toys R Us has the dreaded G3 toys. Man are they ugly.
"Small muscles, big brain, the heart of a lion."
—Anthony DiNozzo on Timothy McGee
User formaly known as Soulchild

Postby Blood Lord » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:54 pm

I don't know about you guys, but I'm extremely entertained by Rainbow Dash Presents. They just released a new episode in it going off the story "Bittersweet", which is something about Pinkie getting diabetes and dying.

Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:47 am

Freakin spatulas...
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist

Postby Grieffon » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:32 pm

Postby Saint Soul » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:28 pm

After the visit to the stable im going to the doctors office tomorrow.

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:24 am

I'M SO NERVICITED~
An Optimist

Postby Saint Soul » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:26 am

my nets lagging.....

Postby TheLivingCouch » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:21 am

And so another season premiere and I couldn't be more pleased with it.

Alicorn fight and Luna's banishment, the dethroning of Discord, and and season long OVERARCHING PLOT! Not to mention they actually went and wrote the Elements of Harmony out of the show. Very bold move on their part.   

I honestly could not have asked for more.

Postby Grieffon » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:47 am

480p is up

That were two of the bestepisodes so far. The animation has gotten better, it answers some question and open many more. Every character was great.

Complaints:
   Zecora's Deus Ex Machina potion
Discord's Chekhov's Gun seeds (totally unnecessary)
The mane 5 sending Twilight home scene doesn't feel right.
Alicorn magic is dark magic?   

But there's that EPIC SCENE. AND OVERARCHING STORY.

Postby Biostar » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:03 pm

I liked this premiere a lot

Even though it's not a new intro they at least incorporated recent canon into it (Discord in Fluttershy's cottage, Luna with Celestia). Getting rid of the MacGuffins was a good idea since it makes new threats have legitimate danger. I can't wait to see what they do with a season long arc.

I'm satisfied how they handled reformed Discord. Just the right balance. His plan B means he knew of the Tree of Harmony and probably the Elements. His defeat by arrogance doesn't seem straightfoward anymore.   

Postby J-Dude » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:07 pm

Woohoo!

Whoa, what a premiere!

Hot damn, it is GOOD to be back!

That kicked the PANTS off of the Crystal Empire opener.

So wow, this one was seriously solid... for the most part.

We get Discord back... even if he basically just cameo'ed for this.

We get to see both the birth and defeat of Nightmare Moon, AND the imprisonment of Discord.

And hey, the Tree of Harmony didn't hurt any mythos, so that's good.

Jesus, the Celestia vs Nightmare fight was BADASS! Just Nightmare's death beam OWNING everything in sight was awesome.

Yish... if only Twilight would exercise that power more. She seriously needed more scenes of her being awesome than scenes of her almost getting eaten, getting gassed by plants...

Still, we got to see some lore, and to boot, we got some SERIOUS series development!

I mean... okay, so putting the Elements back for good makes the Equestria Girls movie sorta... MEAN less. I mean, the whole movie was spent trying to get the Element of Magic back, and now we're getting rid of the Elements for good anyway? Way to undermine the plot of that feature, guys...

Still, I like it. That's bold as ALL hell, closing the lid on the "mane 6 zaps villain with the Elements and wins with almost no effort" trope that's permeated the series, allowing for conflicts to resolve in less predictable ways.

And on top of THAT, the Tree coughs up a lock-box with six keyholes... Hmm! Mystery and speculation! A season-length plot extension! The potential for episodes to be spent finding/earning keys or looking into leads where keys can be FOUND. How fun, how refreshing! What a break from the usual slice-of-life nature of the show!

Oh, and Twilight gets a new crown, lol.

That being said... there's one BIG point of contention in all of this, and that's Zecora's potion.

I mean fuck, could we just call that stuff the plot-device potion?

Why does she have this? And specifically to be used by an alicorn? Now you're close to insulting my intelligence guys, that's convenience at it's finest.

I mean, she just HAS this stuff. Did she make it for Twilight before bugging out? How did she know how to make it?

Also, thanks DHX, was it necessary to have the potion turn WHITE of all colors? Fucking WHITE? It couldn't be blue or something? Now the fucking semen jokes are never gonna end! Princess Twilight "Cum-Guzzler" Sparkle!   
Harry intentionally used the occlumantic link to see Voldemort's thoughts. He was flicking lit matches at Lucius Malfoy.
"Your pain bores me," said Darth Nonose. "Go fetch Severus. I have some death for him."
Wazit_Blade: "Gah! J-Dude just invaded the thread!"

Postby Grieffon » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:18 pm

J-Dude wrote:Woohoo!
   Also, thanks DHX, was it necessary to have the potion turn WHITE of all colors? Fucking WHITE? It couldn't be blue or something? Now the fucking semen jokes are never gonna end! Princess Twilight "Cum-Guzzler" Sparkle!   

It already happened. (a bit NSFW, but not explicit)

Postby Biostar » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:24 pm

Oh typical internet. There was a few things in these episodes that could be used.

Postby punzil504 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:25 pm

J-Dude wrote:
   I mean... okay, so putting the Elements back for good makes the Equestria Girls movie sorta... MEAN less. I mean, the whole movie was spent trying to get the Element of Magic back, and now we're getting rid of the Elements for good anyway? Way to undermine the plot of that feature, guys...

Still, I like it. That's bold as ALL hell, closing the lid on the "mane 6 zaps villain with the Elements and wins with almost no effort" trope that's permeated the series, allowing for conflicts to resolve in less predictable ways.   

Sunset Shimmer stole the Element of Magic... MacGuffin or not, Twilight needed to get it back from her. If she hadn't Sunset Shimmer would have come back as a demon with her zombie student army. What kind of hero waits for their enemy to get even more powerful before facing off against them without her most powerful weapon?

Or if Sunset Shimmer settled for conquering Earth with the Element of Magic and never returned to conquer Equestria, the Tree of Harmony would have been SOL.

Plus, like Discord said, friendship lessons were learned in the meantime.   
Still preoccupied with 1985

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:44 pm

Just finished the episode so I guess I'll share my sometimes random and weird thoughts on it.

First off though if you look good enough, during the new intro you can see Discord creeping around in Fluttershy's cottage through the window... I wonder what he could be doing in there. Dude that's not how you get a young ladies attention, in fact that's the opposite of how you do it...

Anyways:

The opening scene is just what I wanted.
   Twilight completely failing at flying, that's exactly what I wanted to see. Also, I always pictured the fight between Luna and Celestia to be A LOT more over the top, they'd be in outer space throwing meteors and magic blasts at each other and doing a bunch of Gurren Lagann shit, it was a lot more insanely epic in my head. Buuut I can understand that they might not have had the budget for them to have a fight scene that destroyed part of a small galaxy so I'm not complaining. I also like how they explained (sort of) why Discord didn't help (unless you count him telling Twilight to nut up in that one scene) is because he just doesn't care. God of Chaos dude, he loves this stuff. I still kind of want to see him riding around on a bike while shooting off a gun shouting, "GOD OF CHAOS!" Also, I guess Twilight has decided that its time for Spike to start learning how to do the epic adventure thing because I noticed in this episode it was the second time she took her adopted son (or brother) into a dangerous situation. Well, I guess he's got to learn this stuff at some point, and I like Spike (as some of my more recent pony related art may have shown) so I'm up for Spike getting more involved in the adventures.   

Oh and one more thing that bugs me that I really wished they had done.
Why didn't they call the    Tree of Harmony    Yggdrasil (the Tree of Life). The damn thing even looks like how some artists have depicted Yggdrasil. I took one look at that thing and said out loud, "Holy shit is that Yggdrasil?" Especially in a show that derives some of its world building from Norse and Greek Mythology (as well as a few others) that would have been so cool. But that's just me.    But then again, whatever they might have planned for that box might not be able to be done if they used Yggdrasil. But I still say it would have been cool and could have given to some pretty interesting possibilities. But I don't want to complain, because now our main characters can't use their super weapons anymore, this should make things interesting enough.   

But, yeah, just like the other two part epic episodes this had a lot of stuff in it I've been wanting to see from the series from day one. I hope we get more adventures like this and don't have to wait until the season final.

Edit:
Grieffon wrote:Complaints:
   Zecora's Deus Ex Machina potion
Discord's Chekhov's Gun seeds (totally unnecessary)
The mane 5 sending Twilight home scene doesn't feel right.
Alicorn magic is dark magic?   

But there's that EPIC SCENE. AND OVERARCHING STORY.

I agree with the first part, and it could have been something as Discord just booping the memories into Twilight, God of Chaos can get away with that maybe.
Discords a sore looser I guess.
It didn't feel right to me either.
If Alicorn magic is dark magic, then that would be awesome in my opinion. Lets see some darkness.   

And yes, yes there was indeed.
Bark

Postby Grieffon » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:41 pm

Postby Grieffon » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:54 pm

HD version is up.

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:26 pm

By golly that was a hoot of a season opening. Best right up there with season 2's. And just wow... Way to dispell all that worrying and drama about Twi. She's still the same character, but on top of that she has/had a whole plethora of new issues (personal and professional) to overcome now. I like how they're still finding ways to give her room to grow as a character, and that's exactly what the fandom was afraid that wouldn't happen. Good job Studio B for not disappointing.

Also,    Discord's involvement overall with the reverse psychology, Pinkie Pie-like hijinks and deeper fleshing out as an even more competent villain prior to being defeated was much more interesting than his second appearance last season. I'm kind of glad now that he's been reformed. Otherwise we most likely wouldn't have had such an opportunity for this season's opener. Or at least it would have had to be reworked quite a lot without him being able to give some background to the threat after the fact or "Discorderly" emotional support.   
An Optimist

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:48 pm

Aaaaaand the thread is more lively than usual :D

I haven't watched it yet but, as far as I can tell, the premiere had good reception from a lot of people. It didn't disappoint.

No 720p res of the episodes yet?
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby Grieffon » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:28 pm

The one I put up was 1080p. Also, "didn't disappoint" is an understatement.

Say thanks to the animator who worked on the episode for us. It is definitely improving and better than ever. Also slap them in the face for us, for making that potion white of all colors.

Postby Holly Jolly Harumii » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:51 pm

well, the date caught me by surprise - i've been anxiously awaiting this premiere
and so the bronies awake more lively than ever after such a long break, wonderful

so on to my thoughts about the premiere:

i'm quite curious about why the seeds suddenly sprouted now - hopefully the box has the answer to this

the box! oh the possibilities! 6 holes mean maybe 6 episodes, each centered around one of the mane 6 and thus the group acquiring a new key for the box? delightful overarching plot...

i was sort of upset that at the beginning of the premiere we see Twilight stumbling about and worrying about her new wings yet at the end, she somehow managed to master the final swoop that she had no time to practice due to plot... pretty strange

and of course, bravo to Studio B for giving up the Elements of Harmony which had become a sorta "easy way out" of any bad situation - "oh a bad guy? just gotta zap them and that should do it" - perhaps the contents of the box will be some new item(s) to protect Equestria? who knows   

overall, this premiere has given a lot of promise for season 4~

PreviousNext

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)