My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

Postby BeeAre » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:48 pm

Dibullba wrote:Shouldn't that be spoiler tagged Grieffon?

I do not believe something that is an episode synopsis should be spoiler-tagged. The context by its nature potentially contains spoilers. :/
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
Puff Most Epic.
Ladies and Gentlemen, The:
BR

Postby Dibullba » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:44 pm

Fair enough. I have just been avoiding all things that reveal anything about S4. Prior two seasons, I was always on top of seeing spoiler thing. So for S4, I decided to see how the opposite would affect my view on it. The anticipation of not knowing what to expect.

Postby Grieffon » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:16 am

Yeah sorry you two. I thought it really wasn't spoiler because they are just synopsis as BR said, but I should have made that spoilered just to be safe.

Postby Saint Soul » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:54 am

Dibullba wrote:Shouldn't that be spoiler tagged Grieffon?

i see nothing worth spoiler tagging.
"Small muscles, big brain, the heart of a lion."
—Anthony DiNozzo on Timothy McGee
User formaly known as Soulchild

Postby J-Dude » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:32 am

Holy shit, a MONTH away, after all this time!

So DAMN, this opener sounds freaking AMAZING!

Celestia and Luna vanished! The Everfree encroaching on Equestria! Secrets of the Elements revealed!

I mean, it's got the potential to be the best, most tense two-parter of the series. Yes, including the pilot episodes.

Why?

Because for the first time SINCE the pilot, Twilight and co are TOTALLY on their own! For NON bullshit reasons this time!

For me, it goes, S2 opener, S1 opener, S3 opener.

Nightmare Moon was cool, and Twilight WAS on her own, but Nightmare could have beaten them anytime she wanted, but didn't because the story would be over.

Discord is the best handily, even if Luna and Celestia were technically present, and SHOULD have helped the girls oversee this undertaking and warn them of the kind of tricks Discord was likely employing, even if they stood no chance against him magically. Though the argument can be made that if she HAD, Discord would have just teleported her to Appleoosa or something so she wouldn't interfere.

Crystal Empire was just... dumb. Celestia and Luna charge Twilight with saving the empire, and foregoing the interests of the crystal ponies almost altogether, turn it into a TEST, in which she's not supposed to receive help from anyone, including the very friends she's SUPPOSED to be learning to bond with, aid, and rely on. An entire race of people... with their fates put in the hooves of a pony that COULD help them a lot better, but the Princess decided to give their most dire enemy a fucking HANDICAP, just to make things fucking interesting I 'spose!

Maybe it would have worked if Celestia was like, "Pff, this Sombra joker caught us off guard before, but we've got his number this time. I'm gonna give you this one to test yourself, and Luna and I will be at the empire WITH you to keep things from going pear-shaped in case you fail," and then Sombra throws them a wicked curveball that takes them out of the game. Fuck, that STILL would have had a lot of problems, but it would have demonstrated a SEMBLANCE of sense and common decency!

Forest for the trees though: Twilight is forced basically to assume acting leadership, unless Cadance happens to be there to help, and she's up against a villain whose nature and motivation we haven't the FAINTEST clue about.

Finally it feels like there's real weight to the proceedings again, and this time Celestia isn't even around for MORAL support. If not for her friends, she's got nobody to look up to and is forced to seek answers from within. And we're involving the Elements in this too?!

Jesus, this two-parter is gonna be so PACKED, I have half a hope and suspicion that things WON'T be solved by the end! Maybe they'll only save Luna, stall the advance of the forest and our new villain becomes a recurring foe that they'll have to hunt down every few episodes to try and free Celestia.

Not likely, but hey, I can dream!

My only issue with this is the Elements... It'd be cool to figure out an origin for them and discover what they really ARE, but... I have to ask if that's something that really NEEDS a concrete explanation at all, or if it's even a good idea.

There's every chance the explanation could be lame, or worse, contradict fundamental aspects of the series. This could seriously put a post-hoc axe into the spine of this series. People thought Twilight turning into a princess would be the death of things? What the fuck are we supposed to do if we get the My Little Pony version of the infamous "midichlorians" reveal? It could color the entire SERIES in a way that would serve as the TRUE betrayal of everything we know and love.

Now, DHX has done enough to show me they're not just a gaggle of shit-slinging howler monkeys, and that they DO try and get right what they can NOT afford to get wrong. I'm just saying, it's a tall order to explain the Elements without seriously demystifying them or flying in the face of everything that came before.   
Harry intentionally used the occlumantic link to see Voldemort's thoughts. He was flicking lit matches at Lucius Malfoy.
"Your pain bores me," said Darth Nonose. "Go fetch Severus. I have some death for him."
Wazit_Blade: "Gah! J-Dude just invaded the thread!"

Postby Mad-Mutt » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:49 pm

:eek:
:eek:
Oh dear God... this is adorable...
Bark

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:25 am

Oh hey there J-Dude. Been wondering where you been.

So yeah, politics are weird...
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist

Postby Dibullba » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:22 am

I love these videos

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:28 pm

Interview with Craig McCracken

Anyone read this article?

I understand why EqG would be the final straw for Laust to kick the bucket but...

I'm one of the rare few who liked the Equestira Girls and it's potentiality. Would love to see a lore-friendly EqG though.

*hides in a bombshelter
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby Grivous » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:23 pm

Awesome interview. I really liked the new Craig McCracken's show, Wander Over Yonder. It's funny and even cute. Wander is a great character and really funny. And I hope Craig and even Faust can give the best of them on this show.
But I dislike EqG, really.
It's, like, ... if you take off the high school thingy, teenagers storyline, and even Twilight having a "crush" on Flash Sentry... That would be closest as good.
I liked the idea of Twilight becoming a human and going to the human world... but it turns out so... wasted. It could be a really better story than "winning the crown for being the princess of teenagers festival".

BTW: It is released!

Turnabout Storm - Episode Finale!

It's 2h34min of video! It's crazy but so good!

Grivous.
Grivous

Postby Mad-Mutt » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:44 pm

Kusang old buddy, I respect your opinion as a fellow artist and an animator, but I don't care that much for EqG. I don't hate it, I'm just indifferent to it. Which may be worse since it failed to inspire any kind of emotion in me. I don't even remember its an actual thing until someone brings it up so its also very forgettable in my eyes. It had hardly any of the wit or inspiration the show had and not even Twilight doing a henshin was enough to make interesting.

I do however agree that it had some potential, but it was potential it failed to meet. It took the main six, who were as far as we could tell from the show were all adults and had their own jobs and responsibilities and made them into teenagers who's only concern was school life. Instead of doing anything interesting with how Spike could be Twilight's adopted son (or brother since she's a teenager all of a sudden) they made him a dog. Which by the way before we the fandom knew Spike was going to turn into a dog, it was a joke that he would. Imagine the surprise when it turned out to be real.

Sorry buddy, but for me it wasn't very interesting.
Bark

Postby BeeAre » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:37 pm

I'm with Mutt, the potential got shredded. Potential it had, but now to do something that is of legitimate expansion to its creative worth, you would be basically required to rip apart what we were given and implant new information all over the place.
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
Puff Most Epic.
Ladies and Gentlemen, The:
BR

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:11 pm

Like I said, right? I'm one of those rare few.

I'm still exploring that idea of Equestria Girl being something like Lucky Star? I dunno I'm just throwing out ideas. Contribute if there's anything mind.

You reap what you sow, Dashie.
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby Grieffon » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:42 am

EqG comic from IDW: http://content.madefire.com/s-ba19a8aa0 ... index.html

It tells events before the movie.

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:50 am

"Jennifer". I don't know why that makes me smile so much.

And, also, Kusang... I agree with you. I liked it too. It's not on the level of the original by far, but it had its moments.

That Fluttershy design. Like, come on. The first second you saw that, you couldn't help but love her all over again. From there it went up and down, but overall I enjoyed it and what it tried to accomplish (entertainment wise, not toy wise). Think this video best explains how me and Kusang see it:

@ Grief: Neat.

EDIT: HOLY FRICK, THAT COMIC WAS WONDERFUL!!! I had read the first part before with Sunset Shimmer's fall from grace, but that second part... Overall it was wonderful to see in that dynamic portrayal frame-by-frame and bubble to bubble. And so much was added to it and AJ's part in it surprisingly became my favorite. I feel a lot of people could relate to her the most, her trying to find herself, reinvent herself, trying to cater to someone else's standards and overall failing to reach said standards. Really, this reinforces the thought of this having major potential, letting us explore those recycled high school "cliches" and make them actually relateable for people who are still growing up or to look back on those days, all with characters we love.
An Optimist

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:50 am

A little picture I drew of Twilight and Spike:

Title: Comfy Dragon
--
Twilight taking a nap on a much larger Spike.
I wanted to capture the problematic dilemma of, "I want to move, but I can't because something cute is sleeping on me," in Spike's expression.
I did that weird thing I do sometimes where I draw on a black canvas for this one as well.
--
--

And here's a video:

Rainbow Dash expresses true happiness and then does a Solid Snake impression:

It must be because I'm really tired right now, but RD's happy dance thing made me really happy.
Bark

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:13 am

@Kusang

That thing is actually a little disturbing, and I don't mean the pic. Why would Equestrians need a "Loyalty License". Yes I know RD's element is loyalty; but presumably the lisences are stock at that point, so they all say the same thing. Is Celestia so concerned with her subjects loyalty that they have to be examined annualy to be certified for it? (you'll note the license expires in less than a year, if it is roughly the same date in Equestria it is here) Actually a "Loyalty License" doesn't sound so much like an equiavalent of a drivers license (which I assume is what is being pariodied) as some sort of totalitarian cross between a State ID and a draft card. Either that, or RD just joined the wonderbolts and this is her military ID.
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby Grivous » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:28 am

@Grieffon: And here comes the comic to SAVE THE DAY!
THAT'S what I was looking for for EqG. Not boring teenagers stuff of being in fashion, glitters, Justin Bieber, Flash Sentry, being the queen of the festival. But their own personal problems and how do they deal and care about themselves and everyone else, using their own strength to get rid of their problems or using their friends to search for help and advices.
But it still hard to understand a couple of things: Why would Sunset Shimmer take apart the Mane 5 friendship if she didn't know about Twilight Sparkle and she being the new Celestia's pupil? And why would that make any difference between the two worlds? "Balance in the Universe"? And the time between Celestia making TS her personal pupil and sending her to Ponyville to make new friends(AJ, RD, FS, R, PP) is amount of years. How long Sunset Shimmer was spending in the human world and in the highschool yet?

That's some of LOTS of holes Habro do in her own story in the name of profit......

Grivous.
Grivous

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:15 am

I do agree her knowing about these particular humans to be the pony counterparts of Twilight's soon to be friends being farfetched since it's insinuated Sunset Shimmer left before the beginning of the show, but her knowing Twilight to be Celestia's most likely replacement top pupil wouldn't be a longshot. Despite not caring about interacting with others for the sake of friendship, she'd most likely take note of her biggest competition. So there must be some sort of spying device she left in her world, or she knew a spell to look into her world despite being a dimension away. Wished the movie would have tried to fill this plot hole, and after seeing this comic I then wished they would hopefully clear it up seeing the movie not deliver on some explanation.

Also, it's interesting to note how much Twilight grew in 30 moons from a filly in the comic to a respectful adult who became a princess. Seriously, that's some major development for a character in such a short time. And it shows how fast a pony grows in their universe, seeming to be like regular horses with them maturing at 4 years old. And if you take that info and compare it to the mental maturity of most of the cast, they mature mentally about 4-5 times faster than humans. At least that's my theory.
An Optimist

Postby Rukair » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:57 am

@Mr. Sefrol @Grivous I have to agree with you both on this. The movie did had holes, which I believe could have been fixed if it weren't for Hasbro breathing on the creators. Now I do like the comic it explains little things before the movie, but two things are still bugging me. One is the dark magic room for I agree with Sunset, why are there no guards? Why was there even a librarian in there? I can understand she keeps an eye on them for just in case someone steals one of them, but that won't happen if there are guards. And it kinda explains in the movie how Sunset was able to use the element of magic by reading it in a dark magic book. Another question comes up in mind is, why does Celestial even have these within the castle? Do they serve some purpose later on in life? Ok now for the second, I find it too coincidental that it was on that day that the mirror, yes I said DAY for I believe it was not even night time yet. That the mirror was on, well that's all I wanted to say on the matter.

Postby PeachyKeane » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:44 am

Wow, that Equestria Girls comic was AWESOME!! I really liked it! ^_^ Does anyone know if there will be a paper-based comic version of it released or will it be an online exclusive?

Postby Grivous » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:05 am

@PeachyKeane: I think it will release as a new comic series, just like the actual MLP series. Like My Little Pony Comic Series and Equestria Girls Comic Series. I am not really sure of it but I do sure it will come more of it in the near future(there are still unexplained things).

Why there aren't any news about it in EqD?

Grivous.
Grivous

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:02 pm

Eqd already had news of this

I'm going to buy the physical copy. And it'll be out by next week. Woohoo!

I saw some interesting book titles in the page where Sunset is in a library researching.

"Crisis of Infinite Equestrians"
"ZFT"
"The Observers"
"Memento Mori"
"Who was Megan?"
"13 Ghosts"
"Lovecolt"
"Infamous Cemeteies of Equestria"

P.S. I am now worshipping Andy Price.
Not-an-animator

Postby Grivous » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:09 pm

"Annual Edition"? That sounds really bad to me.

I saw the titles on the books too. But I couldn't read all of them. I want to take a close look once again when comes up in PDF file on YayPonies or in a high quality picture.
Also, am I the only one who is thinking the Cadance part on the #12 is and/or will be.... really silly? Even more than Shining's?

Grivous.
Grivous

Postby Grieffon » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:57 pm

Andy Price is a magnificent man.

Also a twisted one.

PreviousNext

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)