My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

Postby Krest » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:22 pm

Kusang_Manalo wrote:Before watching that, recite the oath first.

I love that show SO much! xD

For those that don't know, it's Pound Puppies - another show on the Hub.

--

"Neither has the fandom. Ha!" LOL

NOWACKING :D

"Forgot to shave this morning." Nice.

I never noticed before...but Equestria Girls is officially non-canon - since it showed Vinyl's eyes.

HA! Street Sharks reference! :D

"I'm not voice acting to myself." Or am I?

IMO Sunset Shimmer is best pony.

--

Fall of the Empire? Eh, it looks OK.
Sleep With Neil Patrick Harris

Postby Blood Lord » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:30 pm

Grivous wrote:Did you see "Fall of the Empire" trailer yet?

I can't wait for that to come out. It looked great.

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:05 am

Kusang_Manalo wrote:Before watching that, recite the oath first.

Wait a minute... Despite knowing what show it's from, hearing Tara voice that makes me realize how close their animation is... That could essentially be what little girls would look like next to them.
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:39 am

Grieffon wrote:

Voice by Azula. No, seriously, Grey DeLisle voiced Derpy in this one.

Remind me again how the fuck did they get Grey to do this.

This is nuts!
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:06 am

... Rewatching that... I just... Holy crap, it's more epic than I thought.

I want more Grey DeLisle Derpy!
An Optimist

Postby Biostar » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:40 am

Kusang_Manalo wrote:Remind me again how the fuck did they get Grey to do this.

This is nuts!

Apparently DeLisle is the one that approached them because she liked the character.

Postby BeeAre » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:15 pm

I'd love more Grey Derpy :][
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
最後の撃は。。。切ない。Puff Most Epic.
Ladies and Gentlemen, The:
BR

Postby Krest » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:42 pm

I actually didn't like Grey as Derpy. Sorry, I just didn't.

Postby Blood Lord » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:13 pm

BeeAre wrote:I'd love more Grey Derpy :][

hmm, yes. Although once it was pointed out that she also voiced Azula, I couldn't stop thinking about when she snapped in Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Derpy is a odd character, imho. She's very... flexible in terms of what you can do with her in fan-made productions.

Postby BeeAre » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:32 pm

Derpy = derp, muffins, mailmare

anything else relies on another character's fanon continuity.
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
BR

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:40 am

I still don't think "Derpy = Dinky's mom" is right. I've seen so many shots of Dinky with Carrot Top and another male unicorn in season two and three that I think they're her parents. But thinking Derpy babysits her is something I think is plausable with how much people like to make that her and Carrot Top are best friends.
An Optimist

Postby Grieffon » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:16 am

For better or worse, "muffin", "mailmare", "handicapped" and "Dinky's mother" has been carved into Derpy's character from very early, so they have become her character. All the derivation I have seen still revolves around those traits, even the above "rage over muffin" is something I have seen many times (completed with superpowers). If a new personality, unrelated to the existing ones, is used for Derpy, it can be for any characters. It wouldn't feel like her. This also applies to other background ponies such as Lyra, Octavia and Vinyl.

With that said, I have seen some new ideas that still works well. There's this fic which interpreted Lyra as a mute, but she can "talk" to certain ponies (namely Bonbon and Twilight) through the music from her lyre. I think the fic Background Pony was also great without covering the usual subject of "hands" and "humans" (I haven't read the fic, but that's what I get from the few first part of the comic version). Hopefully more artists/writers can come up with different ideas.

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:37 am

Awww~ That last one made me feel all fuzzy inside uwu

Also, even though the fandom's made this or that the most accepted head canon for a pony, sometimes it just doesn't mesh well with me. Most of them actually being with Derpy. Again, mentioning the "Derpy mom" thing, and also the "Doctor x Derpy" companionship. It's cute and it was fine at first. But I've always wanted to see more "Doctor x Octavia" companion stuff.

P.S. Since we were talking about Ms. Grey, even if it's off topic, found this that was pretty adorable.

An Optimist

Postby Krest » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:43 am

Now I have a strong desire to see Rubypony's version of the Red trailer =.=;

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:01 am

Tell that to the guy who did My Little Lagann. Maybe he'd whip up something.
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:39 am

That video to this day still makes my eyes watery with splendor.

It'd sure be a sight to behold for sure. You have the epicness of a gun scythe mashed up with ponies. And timber wolves as the werewolves.
An Optimist

Postby punzil504 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:26 am

BeeAre wrote:Derpy = derp, muffins, mailmare

anything else relies on another character's fanon continuity.

I'm not even sure where they got mailmare from. There's about 4 different post office employees delivering mail in the show, and Derpy wasn't any of them.

I think someone mixed up the Moving Company from "Feeling Pinkie Keen" with some kind of UPS/FedEx establishment.

I think the fandom is afraid to write Carrot Top being Dinky's mom out of fear that the story would get downvoted to oblivion.
Still preoccupied with 1985

Postby BeeAre » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:06 am

The point about being a Mailmare is that it is an independent attribute. It relies on no character. Dinky's Mother as an attribute relies on an entirely separate character. Now, this is fine for many fanon characterizations. Button Mash's mother, for example. But she exists solely on the basis of Button Mash, who only exists for a few moments in the CMC song looking for Cheerilee's special somepony. Button Mash's mother exists entirely because of another character. So is it the same with Dinky.

Derpy exists independently of Dinky. She existed before Dinky did. Therefore, only actions which are considered independent can be brought across the range of media to describe her without bringing up the attributes that end up requiring another character to describe her.
BR

Postby Princess » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:55 pm

*pops in*

Grey as Derpy is amazing.

Actually, anything Grey is amazing.

*poofs out*
Tuor: Stuff is our resident, hot mess, alcoholic.
Tuor: You foolish fools, no one can tame the stuffaluffagus!
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Dibullba » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:02 pm

Got 2 good ones here:

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:55 am

I kinda expected "Still Alive" to have Dashie doing parkour stuff. It's just Twilight singing the song. Dang.

@BeeAre: I like Derpy when she's a cartoon character. Then this "Project Thundercould" thing pops up and turns her derps into a medical condition. Haha, I feel he's just trolling.
Not-an-animator

Postby Dibullba » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:39 am

The Project Thundercloud thing with Derpy's character from my point of view is how people can reinterpret a character for artistic means. What makes background ponies so interesting is how much they can be molded into different personas since they have no characters to begin with. The fandom itself merely accepted specific interpretations that came out the strongest such as Lyra and Bon Bon having a bond of some form since they appear with each other quite often in the show. So the approach taken with Derpy in PT focused more on her weakness to create a more believable persona rather than being the lovable ditz. I myself still prefer the lovable ditz, but Derpy is something a bit more special in my eyes in terms of what kind of character she really is. Looking back to the moment of her discovery and rise of popularity in the fandom. It begins with an animation error, rise in popularity for the fandom, animators noticing this rising interest of bronies and certain fanon, then beginning minor shout outs to the fandom through a character persona envisioned by the fandom. Derpy's true character in my eyes is that of the unity shared between the fandom and those who make the show. So no matter how you prefer to see a character in terms of what is popular, many views can be applied to a character through different methods.

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:34 am

Not to be a wet horse blanket, but by that logic, isn't the eventual near "banning" of Derpy sort of our own fault? After all, it is US who created the characterization that they ended up using and which got enough people offended that it resulted in Derpy being relegated back to the background. We saw a pony with a messed up eye and immediately though "something wrong in her head" (as opposed to, say "okay, a pony with a lazy eye"). Everything else came from that If we share the joy of the positive of what we have created, we must also share the blame for any negative. Our collective imagination and creativity is a powerful thing but powerful is not necessarily always equivalent to "good"
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby Mad-Mutt » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:34 am

@Dibulba (The Still alive video):
I always found that theme from Mirror's Edge to be beautiful. This is also a well made video

@Mon-K:
No one bated an eye with how dimwitted Snail and (to a lesser extent) Snips was, but the moment a female appears who acts like that then things become offensive. You can add a large list of other male characters that fit the category of slow from multiple sources of media, but I'm sticking mainly to the show. You could make a counter point that Snips and Snails are just kids, but I highly doubt age will give Snails a higher IQ in time.
I really don't want to be the guy throwing the gender thing out there, but it seems like its there. The only other show I can think of like this that got away with doing the "slow female" thing (outside of all those anime girl stereotypes from Japan) was the PPG episode "Twisited Sister" but Bunny was a tragic character. From what has been put on display, it seems like its only okay when the males are "slow". The whole reason why Derpy's voice was like that in the episode was because the voice actor thought she was a boy.

I do find some fault with the assumption that Derpy's crossed eyes make her mentally challenged, and I never assumed that about her. Especially since I'm the supporter of the head canon that Derpy is a single parent holding down a job to take care of her kid or kids. I thought she'd might be a bit of an odd-ball, but that's about it. Anyways I like odd-balls.
Bark

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:07 pm

It's plain hilarious how those over-zealous white knights show their discontent with Derpy's portrayal.

No one complained about Goofy.
No one complained about Stimpy.
No one complained about Patrick Star.
And they just happened to snap when Derp turned cannon? It's ridiculous. What's more ridiculous is that they didn't even give her a chance to develop in the series. Only one episode and they axed her. It's like punishing a child for holding a knife when the child was thinking of making breakfast for you. They "hate" the fandom for portraying Derpy as...derpy. But you know what? I bet the bronies funded more charities than these over-zealous bunch that spits acid on wherever. Signal boosting doesn't give money to charities.

It's an unforeseeable powder keg that Hasbro unintentionally lit up, thinking it's a good idea to listen to the ideas of the fandom [/cynic]. Not sure if you really can thow the blame on the bronies. The fandom is like an enthusiastic child baking a chocolate cake. The kid made a fabulous cake but the kitchen is totaled--but the cake is certainly not a lie.

I just wish we have more Snowdrop than Smile HD.
Not-an-animator

PreviousNext

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)