My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

Postby Dibullba » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:16 am

EVERYTHING I KNOW IS A LIE!!!!

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:51 am

Words fail me for that last video so I'll just use a meme:

Now for my contribution to your growing sugar coma:

You sure are Luna, you sure are.
Bark

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:43 pm

Mad-mutt... That's my face... I can't stop smiling...

Guys, seriously, I can't. Someone call for help.

EDIT:

Ummm...
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:20 pm

A thought recently came to my rather odd mind a little while ago while reading a Spiderman comic. It involves Discord.

Now I'm am aware that at times my thought process can seem a bit random and weird, but you all seem to not be bothered when this happens so I'm going to share this little thought that popped into my head.

Discord kind of reminds me of Venom.

And I don't mean their personalities, appearance or anything like that. I what puts them together in my mind is their circumstance.

When Venom was first introduced in the Spiderman lore, he quickly amassed a lot of popularity much like Discord did, to the point where he was one of the most popular characters in the Marvel roster. Venom became so popular and so well loved that at some point Marvel decided to make him an anti-hero in the series "Venom: Lethal Protector" so because Marvel didn't want a character who was evil as one of their most beloved they chose to make him one of the good guys.

Now what made me think about Discord was me wondering if this was Hasbro's thought process. Discord had already become one of the most popular characters in the show to the point where the one question that wasn't far from most of the fan's minds was, "When is Discord coming back?"

I wander if Hasbro had a problem with a villain becoming one of their most popular characters much like Marvel did with Venom. So they made him good in order to fell less uncomfortable about it. It might explain why it did seem a little rushed, unless that one fan theory that Discord is just pretending to be good is really true. If it is that would make a good Fluttershy episode that could deal with the themes of betrayal.
Now I have no idea if this was Hasbro's actual though process, its only a theory.

I for one don't have any problem with Discord being good, its given me and a lot of other people who like bizarre fanfiction an actual canon excuse to write about some good old weirdness thanks to the fact that we now have a character who has a strange power set and a love of the chaotic on the side of good. The bizarre has always fascinated me and Discord's very nature is bizarre.

Okay, me rambling about this is now out of my system so here's something cute:
Bark

Postby Blood Lord » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:50 pm

RD: "dafaq?"

Postby Biostar » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:57 pm

Dibullba wrote:EVERYTHING I KNOW IS A LIE!!!!

Not yet

Postby Grivous » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:38 pm

This excerpt is from the book "Pinkie Pie and the Rockin' Ponypalooza Party!".
Is it makes their names as official in the show?

Grivous.
Grivous

Postby Blood Lord » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:41 pm

If the book is legit then yes.

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:42 pm

This may just be bitterness speaking (I really, really liked "Reverend Mudd" for Pinkie's dad's name) but there does seem to be a little lack of thought here. If those are Pinkie's families names, why is Pinke the only one in the family without a lithic (stone related) given name? If "Pinkie" was just a nickname, and her actual name was some sort of pink mineral (Rose Quarz, Morganite,Kunzite etc.) I could accept it. But we know Pinkie's first name is Pinkamena. Why would she be singled out?
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby Grieffon » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:33 am

The Pacman names the fans gave them have already stuck too long for anyone to consider the canon name. Ingenious Rock sounds stupid anyway.

While we're at it here's a comic of the Pie family.
Part 1
Part 2

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:57 am

I saw news of this, but this is the first time reading the sister's new names. The parent's names sound okay to me, but of course the sisters' names... I'm just... I "loved" the names Inkie and Blinkie. It was cute and despite being a little corny matching Pinkies name, it fit really well in my opinion. If they were just "Marble" and "Limestone", I'd be a little more okay with it, even if still disliking them. But the random "Pie" part doesn't do it for me. Maybe there's a back story to adding the "Pie" to their names, like Granny Pie being an influence... And with Pinkie being "Pinkamina", it might have been because she came out pink, which was very different from the rest of the family's blander colours that they maybe couldn't think of a rock pun name but made one that still sounded farm-like? Just making a guess.
An Optimist

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:18 am

Maybe, though Pinkie was a much duller shade of pink before her rainboom epiphany. I have a feeling that if a similar epiphany ever happened to Marble, she'd change to a much brighter shade of lavender as well. And marble is not normally lavender so the rock color pun doesn't really match there either. Given the color, one might expect Chalcedony Pie or Lavulite pie (if they could name thier daughter Pinkamina, complex first names are not inappropriate) Though actually Calcedony is more often pale grey, so that would sound better for Limestone. And actually that was why I came up with Mudd as Pinkies dads first name, it was the only sort of earth rock based name I could come up with that fit with Pie (since we've never heard him speak on camera, it might be funny if he had a Southern accent like AJ; then he could be Missisissippi Mudd Pie (oh wait there's no Mississippi in Equestria never mind)
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby punzil504 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:55 am

This was brought up in one of the FimFiction forums, and I suggested that Limestone's full name is Keisha Limestone Pie. She leaves the rock farm to become a lawyer under the moniker of K. Lime Pie, Esq.

It devolved into a debate over how Pony family names don't work, despite fanfics giving Rarity the surname of Belle, the "House of Twilight" (Twinkle, Velvet, and Sparkle), giving Fluttershy the surname of Posey, Trixie Lulamoon, Cup, Carrot, Pumpkin, and Pound Cake, and the list goes on.

Even the Apples are handwaved a bit... Granny Smith explicitly calls her family the Smith Family in Family Appreciation Day, implying that she married into the Apple Family. Or maybe it's more like the Apple Clan, considering Hayseed Turnip Truck, the Oranges, and the fact that half of the family's names begin with Apple.
Still preoccupied with 1985

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:51 am

punzil504 wrote:
Even the Apples are handwaved a bit... Granny Smith explicitly calls her family the Smith Family in Family Appreciation Day, implying that she married into the Apple Family. Or maybe it's more like the Apple Clan, considering Hayseed Turnip Truck, the Oranges, and the fact that half of the family's names begin with Apple.

Actually I tend to think that the Apple Clan wasn't called the Apple Clan until AFTER they came to Ponyville and found the Zap apples. If you look at the semi-official list of character names, don't remember where I saw it but I remember I did see it once, NONE of them had names that had anything to do with apples (I remember Prarie Tune was one on the list, the Pony with the banjo cutie mark) Nor with the exception of Annie/Granny herself, did any of them have marks related to apples. Your mark has to do with what your special skill or inner nature is, so it follows that if there are special skills or skillsets that have become common to your family, most of the marks will eventually become related to that, and after a generation or two people in your faimly will start naming thier kids appropriately for those skills (i.e. an Apple clan member may not know EXACTLY what thier kids skill set is going to be, but they probably have a pretty good idea it will have SOMETHING to do with apples) And in some cases i think parts of the names are actually nicknames (for example I sort of assume Big Macintosh's real name is simply Macintosh Smith, since given how he looked in Aj's flashback I'm not sure anyone would have known when he was born that he'd grow up to be the hulking giant he is. Unless AJ's dad was also a big strapping Cythesdale type and they simply assumed he take after him (it's not like Titian-o ponies run in the Apple clan line, Braeburn, Apple Strudel and most of the Appeloosans are normal pony build)

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:55 am

New MLP game in progress...

I'm concerned about this awesome project...

Haven't they learned their lesson from Mane6?
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby Mad-Mutt » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:59 pm

I too feel a twinge of concern for this project. I also wonder what ever became of that Pony Sims thing from a while back.

Anyways to lighten the mood here's a picture of Lyra wearing pants. My favorite part of this drawing is just how proud of herself she looks for being able to wear them:

Also here's an animation. I have no idea which one came first and I'm sorry if this has been posted here already:
Bark

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:45 pm

Now that nicknames are brought up, and Punzil brought up "K. Lime" Pie, this actually gives me a little hope of this. It actually could be her name if after Pinkie's revelation about herself, the sisters found themselves good at things other than rocks as well and renamed themselves accordingly. And, well, Marble Pie is already a type of pie and I never knew. Silly me.
An Optimist

Postby Biostar » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:53 pm

Kusang_Manalo wrote:Haven't they learned their lesson from Mane6?

Does giving them different names help?

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:07 pm

I do hope it does get through. There's nothing really that Hasbro can complain about compared to Mane6's project, like them claimed it was showing them in a violent nature (unlike in the comics where Chrysalis seemingly splatters a cute little heart kitty creature on a wall and was endorsed by them~). To me this sort of feels like the later Persona games minus the dungeon crawling and monster creation. The only thing I can see Hasbro nitpicking over is the sexualization of the characters, but then that's usually what Doxy's art does. Been following this project for a while through Doxy's updates.
An Optimist

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:56 am

I dunno, I think game is asking to be axed. Aren't you guys upset that this game is a sell out? Isn't this no better than Hasbro's EQG toyline--or that I-pad game?
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:02 am

To admit, there are things that have me put off from it. Bringing up the sexualized art style of Doxy again, it's just not my style to look at for this sort of thing. He's a good artist and all, but... I dunno, it just clashes with me. And the idea itself is a bit played out. I haven't delved into the details like if it is like a Farmville style game where you can only do a certain amount of things a day, pay money to get more things, etc. But the animation is cute and it looks like it has some sort of story to it. It's no Fighting is Magic, but that might just mean they can go under the radar if they don't push any buttons. Like I try to do with everything, I'll give it a chance until I get a larger scope of it.

Also, here's art things:

Last one deserves a closer look in my opinion.
An Optimist

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:14 am

I need more opinions from you guys coz.... My current view about the creation of the game is anything but positive. Tell me why this game shouldn't be axed.
Not-an-animator

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:15 am

I'll look and see if there's anything I've missed about this thing and get back to you.

Edit: Back with a little more insight on it. Tried to see all the negatives I could, but the only thing that keeps coming to mind is the asking for money (which I usually don't see for these sort of projects) and that Doxy is heavily involved, who I do know from others who have worked with him or just know him semi-personally as someone who does indeed do fine work but can be seen as someone who milks the fandom.

Other than that, the project itself with what's being given still hits closely to something like Persona, just concentrating on the stat raising and socializing and wrapped with ponies as the hook. Personally, I still don't mind it, and I feel they are putting in a good deal of effort with a passing glance.

But still that asking for money is... hmmm... Yeah. Is that the thing that's putting you off too, Kusang? Or is something else bugging you?
An Optimist

Postby Mad-Mutt » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:33 am

@Mr. Sefrol's picture of the warrior Twilight and Spike:

If that was the direction they were taking Equestria Girls I probably would have seen that by now. I really like how Twilight and Spike complement each other to help the other one look even more bad-ass.

@Kusang:

I didn't want to bring this up because I figured people would view it as me being a prude and chose to keep my true feelings to my self, but...

When Fluttershy, I mean Flutters and Trix appeared on screen my reaction was a very loud, "What the %$##!?"
I know people tend to like to make their humanized version of Fluttershy as pretty as they can, but that was a bit too far. And Trix looks more like a LARPing prostitute more than an a magician. Also, I seriously doubt any actual lady would want to wear some of the clothing I saw in the intro.

I don't have a lot of respect for games that try to sell themselves on sex appeal, because we gamers aren't a bunch of drooling idiots. So yeah, I can view this game as kind of a sell out, at least Equestria Girls didn't go with the mentality that "sex sells" if only because they want to appeal to a general audience. Also, the whole asking for money thing is a little off putting and might just result in it getting shut down quicker. And I don't know these people, I'm not giving them my money, for all I know it could be a scam. That wasn't meant as a smear on their person, just what some people may think when they see you asking money from them.

The little versions of the characters looked rather cute, but it is quickly ruined when you realize that some of them might be wearing the kind of outfits that you would view as slutty if you ever saw them in real life. I'm not a prude when it comes to this stuff, but in this case its bothering me. That and as I've said the whole "sex sells" mentality really bugs me. This could have just easily been done with the actual pony characters, but judging by the trailer the only reason they're humans is because the artist wanted to draw boobs and put Trixie in a skimpy outfit.

As a person who plays Harvest Moon and Persona 3 and 4 I'm no stranger to these slice of life/social sim games, but they are very easy to make boring instead of fun. You need a talented developer who can capture the kind of charm needed, and I'm very unfamiliar with these people's work if they even had any.

Now if someone was making a humanized adventure game based off of that picture Sefrol posted, well...
Then again I doubt a lot of people have the means to make something with that kind of graphic quality.

Sorry if this turned into a rant/over analyzation. This is why I don't do this much on this site or anywhere else, I tend to get very detailed in these situations.
Bark

Postby Biostar » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:22 pm

I guess I'm not bothered by it is because it's a fan game and I'm willing to give them liberties. Since they are fans, them selling out will have no effect on the franchise unlike if Hasbro did. The humanization is rational since Mane6 got canned for that fact alone. It's being funded by a Kickstarter-style website which let's people donate to the project and in exchange they are given gifts like a copy of the game, credit, figurines , and etc., so it'll only be made if people want it. As for any sexual overtones, sex doesn't seem a big objective of the game and the art so far looks tame in comparison to how it could be considering who are involved. All in all, it is pretty inoffensive to me. If they want to make it, why should I care? It's definitely not the worse thing that's been created...

PreviousNext

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)