My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

Postby TheLivingCouch » Sun May 12, 2013 8:46 pm

Hmm... Optimism rising! I approve, tentatively. It seems were certainly going to get some of that delicious culture shock. It also seems we're going to get getting some typical high school tropes popping up. Hopefully the obvious thing on display will the the B plot and not the main one, but so it goes. This is getting very very interesting.

Postby Dibullba » Sun May 12, 2013 8:46 pm

Guarantee it will, but none the less it looks like it would be a good one shot watch for a movie.

Edit: Doctor is posting these for me as they have paralyzed me with feels
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2013/132/9/e/mother_less_day_by_mlp_silver_quill-d6514c2.jpg
http://th03.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2013/132/b/6/gift__warning_big_file__by_howxu-d64zrgu.jpg

Postby Grieffon » Sun May 12, 2013 9:24 pm

The second link is really small for some reason. Try this

Twilight getting a boyfriend just doesn't sound right. It's likely to happen though, and she will have to leave him and her human friends to go back to Equestria. How will that work?

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Mon May 13, 2013 12:35 am

Twilight is BEST human.
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Mon May 13, 2013 12:37 am

I thought it was Rainbow Dash that was supposedly getting a bf? Hmm...

Also, is this boyfriend thing real now? She's actually getting one?
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist

Postby Grieffon » Mon May 13, 2013 1:44 am

@Sefrol: Judging from Twilight and the guy's interaction from the trailer, maybe? In case you missed it, I posted the link on the previous page.

Here's a list of theater that will show EG.

Postby Mad-Mutt » Mon May 13, 2013 1:50 am

Grieffon wrote:
Twilight getting a boyfriend just doesn't sound right. It's likely to happen though, and she will have to leave him and her human friends to go back to Equestria. How will that work?

How do we not know that's not a human version of Twilight's brother.

I only base that thought off of that the guy had blue hair.

And I should also say I have read next to nothing about EQG.

Here's an Alex Mercer pony (Prototype):
Bark

Postby J-Dude » Mon May 13, 2013 3:28 am

Oh... my... god...

Jesus, of COURSE I have to be stuck for five hours at a fucking hospital when this trailer pops up!

But that's okay! Because the trailer has graced my eye with its vision... and it is GLORIOUS!!!

Ohmahgawdohmahgawdohmahgawd... The art style...! It doesn't SUCK!!!

Okay, so the colored skin is still kinda "whatever" but small potatoes!

No stupid furry ears, no wings, no fat creepy lips, no fucking cutie mark face-tattoos!

And five-fingered hands!

What new spore of madness is this?! Animators actually going against the four-fingered standby? It's unusual is all I'm saying.

Oh, and yes... Spike is a dog... It's still fucking stupid...

But wow! Hate to have some of that fabled culture-shock spoiled for me, but hot DAMN! It's gonna take a cruise-missile to stop me seeing this! Twilight's reaction to her newfound humanity, Fluttershy's reaction to seeing her grab an apple off her tray with her teeth!

This thing is doing what I really wanted, and it's good to see some shots of the ponies too to juxtapose all of this. Though I hope to see Twilight back in her pony form amongst the humans before it ends, just to confirm the whole "scale" thing.

Also nice to see that the stolen crown WAS in fact the Element of Magic, or at least it seems to be.

And from that point we get to the nitty gritty...

This guy...

Eh... okay... Romance subplot... kinda.

I hope this gets downplayed in the... well, let me elucidate. THIS is our villain for the story.

While I've only heard the name in passing, certain crazed bronies on the interwebz have raved on and on about some character named "Sunset Shimmer," who was apparently cut from something and a former student of Celestia... I think.

This girl is recognized to have the same design and color scheme as the noted character, albeit human.

The trailer seems to tell that she is incredibly popular and has won a crown for being prom queen or formal queen or something or other throughout her high school career.

UGH... Yeah, you can see where this is going. The Element of Magic is this year's crown, and thus, Twilight will have to beat her for the crown to get it back instead of just going "yoink" like any normal person would do with something mistaken for some stupid plastic token of adulation that belongs in more important hands... hooves... what the fuck ever, okay?

Yeah, somehow we all knew this was going to end with the prom and a popularity contest, because that's just how hackneyed and stock most high-school fare is...

And hopefully the young buck shown above (who the Derpibooru community has until-further-notice dubbed "Brad") will be downplayed and used to the end of giving Twilight someone to go to prom with, AND NOTHING FURTHER.

I doubt if any of this will be canon to the upcoming season, but we really don't need pony-Brad being a recurring presence in the series... I mean, she's a princess, a pony (and kinda old for him would be MY guess). I dunno, I'm not against the mane six having love-interest characters as part of their development, but we still don't know the repercussions of Twilicorn in full yet, and I think viewers (child AND adult) are going to have enough to adjust to without adding yet ANOTHER major leaf in Twilight's biography, mmkay?

So yeah, I'm TOTALLY seeing this in theaters because so much of this seems awesome, but I also know that a lot of this is gonna hurt my brain and my need to avoid cliche high school shit... Eh, I saw this coming anyway, so bring it on!

Also, Snips and Snails have humans, and Snips looks kinda like Charles Demar from "Better Off Dead"
Harry intentionally used the occlumantic link to see Voldemort's thoughts. He was flicking lit matches at Lucius Malfoy.
"Your pain bores me," said Darth Nonose. "Go fetch Severus. I have some death for him."
Wazit_Blade: "Gah! J-Dude just invaded the thread!"

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Mon May 13, 2013 3:54 am

Dem Legs.

Are we going to expect more EG fanimations once this movie is out?
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby Dibullba » Mon May 13, 2013 4:25 am

Thought occurred to me about "Brad". People seem to have a theory that he is Twilight's humanized brother. When I saw him clearly in the picture posted by J-Dude, it dawned on me that he looks like Soarin. If this is the case, their better be some freakin pies! Also please Hasbro, from the bottom of w/e heart you may have, DO NOT LET SNIPS AND SNAILS TALK!!!!

Postby Mad-Mutt » Mon May 13, 2013 4:34 am

I mentioned that a few posts ago that the blue haired guy might be her brother.

So I agree that's a possibility.
Bark

Postby Dibullba » Mon May 13, 2013 5:22 am

Sometimes, I forget how fast this fandom can be.

Postby J-Dude » Mon May 13, 2013 5:32 am

I doubt it. In fact, I REALLY doubt it. The guy is involved in the most transparent and cliche "stumble onto love-interest" bits I've seen played straight in a while. Seriously guys, sometimes I wonder what goes through the minds of people who come up with some of these empty "what-if" explanations I hear posited; they dropped this hint like a 500lb bomb.

Aside from that, color schemes are evidently consistent in the pony-to-human conversion, with skin colors being derived from coat colors.

This is what the art-people have done to get this across.

Eye color, hair styles and hair color are inconsistent with either Shining or Soarin, and that's not a thing developers are likely to get wrong. I wish it were just Shining, making a strange appearance as a sisterless human character in a world where Twilight never existed, but I'm not gonna act in denial over the writing on the wall. You guys know what high school romance setups look like by now, and these two scenes were shot in an unambiguous fashion. This ain't our first row-day-oh.
Harry intentionally used the occlumantic link to see Voldemort's thoughts. He was flicking lit matches at Lucius Malfoy.
"Your pain bores me," said Darth Nonose. "Go fetch Severus. I have some death for him."

Postby Mad-Mutt » Mon May 13, 2013 10:25 am

Robot pony because robots are cool and ponies are cool:

Bark

Postby Grieffon » Mon May 13, 2013 11:34 am

I'm late on this, but I found a video made dedicated to Dondy Bethea, whom we know as DMajorBoss. It was a song he liked, and it was humanized by the talented SkillDraw team.

Rest in peace, DMajor.

Postby Grivous » Mon May 13, 2013 6:46 pm

So what the hell is Equestria Girls?

Is it a show, a movie or a book? Or is it all in once? I don't know anymore. :/

Grivous.
Grivous

Postby J-Dude » Mon May 13, 2013 6:52 pm

It's a movie, in select theaters June 16th, on DVD later, and as a TV special in August. It also has a book adaptation to come in the same vein as "Crystal Heart Spell" and the like.

You do wonder if they'll have a TV series out of it though, mainly because it's quite a bit of effort to put in for a one-time thing, especially with all the new assets they had to produce for it instead of just the pre-existing ones for FIM.

Oh, and something I completely forgot to mention in my sum-up: I'm pretty sure Twilight and Fluttershy both had veggie-burgers on their trays in that one clip. If this means she has to ASK for that and deal with the whole "meat" thing, I'm gonna be very very happy ^_^

Postby Grivous » Mon May 13, 2013 7:03 pm

Definitely: Friendship is Merchandising.

It's a lot of stuff to look at!
It's like tomorrow is gaining your own comic book.

Grivous.
Grivous

Postby MERASMUS! » Mon May 13, 2013 7:04 pm

I only watched a few episodes of MLP when no one else is home, recently. I tend to find the fanbase amazing rather than the show.
Never anger a magician

Postby J-Dude » Mon May 13, 2013 7:46 pm

TheMadDoctor wrote:I only watched a few episodes of MLP when no one else is home, recently. I tend to find the fanbase amazing rather than the show.

Come for the canon, stay for the fanon.

Yeah, seriously, it's the community that really can make this a full-time thing. So many dedicated fans, using the series as an anchor point to tell their own stories, produce amazing works of art.

And of course, the amazing thing is how the two feed into each other. The show fuels fans who make fully-developed characters out of background filler ponies and the occasional bursts of personality we see them exude. Then the developers take note of this, and sometimes induct fanon into the damn show.

Examples include Derpy's general portrayal in later episodes, even if Hasbro tried to retcon it. Or the term "Alicorn" being used for winged unicorn princesses, acknowledged in "Magic Duel" and made explicitly canon in "Magical Mystery Cure."

And of course, there are enough fans that it pays off more in the brony fandom to create fanart or fanfiction, because there's such a big audience and potential for recognition. It really is a self-sustaining engine, and damn if it isn't a lot of fun.

Is it blown out of proportion for a show about ponies learning about friendship? Probably, but the point is we're all having a blast with it, so who cares?

Postby MERASMUS! » Mon May 13, 2013 8:07 pm

J-Dude wrote:
TheMadDoctor wrote:I only watched a few episodes of MLP when no one else is home, recently. I tend to find the fanbase amazing rather than the show.

Come for the canon, stay for the fanon.

Yeah, seriously, it's the community that really can make this a full-time thing. So many dedicated fans, using the series as an anchor point to tell their own stories, produce amazing works of art.

And of course, the amazing thing is how the two feed into each other. The show fuels fans who make fully-developed characters out of background filler ponies and the occasional bursts of personality we see them exude. Then the developers take note of this, and sometimes induct fanon into the damn show.

Examples include Derpy's general portrayal in later episodes, even if Hasbro tried to retcon it. Or the term "Alicorn" being used for winged unicorn princesses, acknowledged in "Magic Duel" and made explicitly canon in "Magical Mystery Cure."

And of course, there are enough fans that it pays off more in the brony fandom to create fanart or fanfiction, because there's such a big audience and potential for recognition. It really is a self-sustaining engine, and damn if it isn't a lot of fun.

Is it blown out of proportion for a show about ponies learning about friendship? Probably, but the point is we're all having a blast with it, so who cares?

Well first I saw these type of memes.
http://cheezburger.com/5271089664
then after seeing a huge amount of Pinkie Pie and Deadpool crossover fanart. It got me hooked.
The mirror portal in that trailer makes me wonder if the same plot device will be used for Dr. Whooves fanfictions. Converting the doctor into a pony.
Last edited by MERASMUS! on Mon May 13, 2013 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never anger a magician

Postby Mad-Mutt » Mon May 13, 2013 9:05 pm

Hey there Doc. Didn't know you gave the show a shot.
Yeah, its an interested not so little fandom.
Here's something you might find a little interesting:

There's quite a few animated videos of Doctor Whooves. Most of which involve him hanging out with Derpy.
Bark

Postby Dibullba » Mon May 13, 2013 11:27 pm

@TheMadDoctor So I heard you like Dr. Who >.> here is a comic series you might get interested in.

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Tue May 14, 2013 3:06 am

Grieffon wrote:I'm late on this, but I found a video made dedicated to Dondy Bethea, whom we know as DMajorBoss. It was a song he liked, and it was humanized by the talented SkillDraw team.

Rest in peace, DMajor.

I just found this by chance and was coming to post it... Then I see it was for our beloved Dondy...

My heart hurts T-T
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist

Postby Mad-Mutt » Tue May 14, 2013 9:39 am

I hope this hasn't be posted here yet.

Pinkie Pie finds a funky mushroom and eats it:

Twilight really shouldn't have left her alone like that, she should have helped her back to her home and kept an eye on her. Maybe dim the lights, play some calming music and just generally talk to her to keep her from tripping out too bad.
Bark

PreviousNext

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)