My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

Postby J-Dude » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:27 am

I... aiyyy... WHAT?!

You mean to tell me, this WHOLE FUCKING TIME, Double Rainboom was a trojan-horse (trojan pony?) POWERPUFF GIRLS crossover?!

I... I...

I have no idea what even the hell! What am I supposed to say to that?!

I'm equal parts stunned with the awesome, and with the disappointment. Yeah, it's a cool sendup to just about EVERYTHING Lauren Faust has ever been remotely associated with. In that regard, it's nothing short of amazing.

As a pony production though...?

I feel kinda cheated. No, a LOT cheated. After Rainbow runs amock through Ponyville and BLOWS IT ALL TO HELL, we find the pony Universe gets pretty much discarded as relevant to the plot, and fuck around in Townsville.

And after the fucking around comes to a close, we're finally greeted with the consequences of what Rainbow did, and...

Really??? This is just one of those "oh well, we'll do it again!" bits?

No! I don't fuckin' think so! The town looked like friggin Hiroshima! Major municipal buildings and residences were all but DESTROYED! They can't "Raise this town, raise this town" , whether it's a four-count, an eight-count or a sixty-four-count!

And what did we LEARN from all this?

"You shouldn't take things that don't belong to you without asking."

Are you fucking serious? Like, this isn't a joke, this isn't parody, you're offering THIS little nugget of olden wisdom to the world, completely straight?

Wow...

Look, the animation is amazing stuff, and it's obviously a labor of some intense love and appreciation, but I feel bait-and-switched.

It's like how "Inglourious Basterds" was an awesome acting-crammed Tarantino film worthy of its 2009 Oscar Nom, but advertised itself as a Nazi-stomping actioner. What we got was equally fantastic, but it wasn't what we sat down to watch, it's not what we were promised, and there's almost no way of getting that taste out of your mouth when evaluating.   
Harry intentionally used the occlumantic link to see Voldemort's thoughts. He was flicking lit matches at Lucius Malfoy.
"Your pain bores me," said Darth Nonose. "Go fetch Severus. I have some death for him."
Wazit_Blade: "Gah! J-Dude just invaded the thread!"

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:47 am

I'm pleased. I didn't have any expectations except for it being a fanmade episode. And what do fans do? They    make references and cross over things.    It was unexpected, but seeing how    Rainbow Dash suffered from the realization of how such a simple act caused so much mayhem and might have stranded her in an alternate universe hit me well. How Twilight kept reminding her it was a bad idea what she did it, and then seeing the moment when it finally got through RD's head in her flashback was awesome. Didn't really matter where it happened, because the fact it happened is what was important. If you look at it like "taking things is bad" was the message by itself, then yeah, it was a bad message. But if you look past the first and last sentences she talks about regretting not listening to her friends about consequences of her actions, not thinking ahead of what these consequences might be, and acting on greed for her own gain. Remember, this is RD. She's not a deep thinker. It probably would have been better if they added her working in the town rebuilding, but we can't be nit picky.   
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:05 am

This fan episode pretty good done for a graduate student. It's not "Gobelins" quality sure but, in its own respect, well done.

It's not what I expected though. I'm rooting for a "Pony of Steel" kind of storyline. After watching it, I found it satisfying but lacking. There isn't much exploration about what good things she could have done with it--or bad. Seriously, I can sense that this could have the potential to be a re-enactment of the "Mysterious Mare-Do-Well."--on STEROIDS. Where Dash is superman while Batman is... the remaining Mane 5. They could have learned "With great power comes with great responsibility" with some "curiosity killed that cat" put in there. You don't take stuff you don't understand.

The ending is a typical FiM ending. Even of 'gravest' of sins, you still can be forgiven. It could have done better but I'm not going to bitch over it.

I'm to to give a 7/10. It's not necessarily grand but it is a good Saturday Morning episode. If I know any better, this is probably a love letter to all the nostalgic cartoons we watch during childhood.
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:20 am

It felt like my nostalgia hogtied me and fed me love pudding to me.

I wonder what Lauren's reaction to the episode was if she's watched it?
An Optimist

Postby J-Dude » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:17 pm

Oh this... oh my GOD, this.

Not gonna roll on a hate train, but this is the best descriptor I've seen concerning Double Rainboom's problems. That, and pacing issues out the ASS.

I've seen some people on Derpibooru claiming stupid shit like that Magical Mystery Cure was less coherent and well written than Rainboom. I equate this to butthurt and bullshit. Double Rainboom had 30 minutes. 30... MINUTES... to put together a plot and take us on a journey, and it squandered that. It got eight minutes more than any one episode of the show ever did, and we got THIS for a story:

Twilight makes an ability enhancing potion. Rainbow drinks it, because of course she does. Rainbow can fly with awesome now. Antics ensue. Rainbow causes a Double Rainboom and destroys Ponyville, before leaping dimensions into Townsville for a surprise crossover. Antics ensue. Rainbow gets rescued by Pinkie Pie.   

THE END

Oh yeah, clearly better than Episode 3/13, which in 22 minutes contained seven musical numbers, created and resolved a great conflict, brought light to Celestia's plans and purposes for Twilight throughout the entire series, fulfilled Twilight's destiny to rule Equestria alongside her mentor and reconciled to the emotional resonance and significance of the event. It managed to invoke a true emotional response and was paced well enough not to feel especially rushed given the breadth of the story it told.

Rainboom's story is anorexic. It fiddle-farts around so much with filler and padding that it ends up taking the vast majority of time in the thing. It plods though, slooooooowly explaining what the potion might do, and adding overlong comedy bits with fan-favorite characters and appealing to memes. Things like that are generally welcome, but not at the expense of THIS much screen time. Things like    Derpy trying to eat a muffin and getting distracted by flowerpots hitting her head   . Why did it need to be this long?    She's hit by TWO of them    in a good THIRTY SECOND sequence before    one finally smashes her muffin and she stares at it forlornly   . A good editor could trim the entire production by half its length and have lost almost nothing, just by cutting the filler and keeping it succinct and punchy.

It just reeks of lost potential. If it were advertised correctly, and a decent writer and editor had been brought in, you could really have had something. As it is, it's a sundae made almost entirely of sprinkles.
Harry intentionally used the occlumantic link to see Voldemort's thoughts. He was flicking lit matches at Lucius Malfoy.
"Your pain bores me," said Darth Nonose. "Go fetch Severus. I have some death for him."

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:49 pm

Happy Easter everyone one, courtesy of Selinmarusou:
http://selinmarsou.deviantart.com/art/E ... -362662638
Bark

Postby punzil504 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:04 pm

J-Dude wrote: Things like    Derpy trying to eat a muffin and getting distracted by flowerpots hitting her head   . Why did it need to be this long?    She's hit by TWO of them    in a good THIRTY SECOND sequence before    one finally smashes her muffin and she stares at it forlornly   .

The first flowerpot corrected her eyes (so you're supposed to laugh if you caught that), the second "derped" them again, and the third squished the muffin. That's why it took thirty seconds.

It was good, but I have to add the qualifier "for a fan made episode" just because there was so much that was just "off" with it, most of which has already been said.

Characterization issue: I felt like they took Pinkie Pie's character and stuck her in Rainbow Dash's body for an episode. Seriously, Dash even breaks the fourth wall...

Possibly the biggest disappointment for me was the notion (hype?) that they were creating an episode that was so good it could be canon... and obviously the crossover nixed that despite it being cool in its own way.

Overall, I found it very enjoyable Bravo, Flamingo Rich!   
Still preoccupied with 1985

Postby Grieffon » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:52 pm

You know what day it is.

Comic series: Prankstershy
Rarity
Applejack
Rainbow Dash
Pinkie
Twilight

Postby Mad-Mutt » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:19 am

No reason for sharing this other than its cute and well drawn. I was going to put an april's fools prank here, but considering I just saw people getting really pissed off on deviantart for a pony related prank in someone's journal, I'm a little gun shy at the moment. So in stead of me trolling you for a single post, here's cuteness.

Bark

Postby J-Dude » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:23 pm

punzil504 wrote:   The first flowerpot corrected her eyes (so you're supposed to laugh if you caught that), the second "derped" them again, and the third squished the muffin. That's why it took thirty seconds.

Okay, but I'm saying that it still could've been cut down, and it would have been easy. Edit out the first two hits and keep the third. Same effect, less drug out, and you have now saved precious screentime. Once-off gags that don't advance the story should be there and gone. Long enough to be noticed and have a chuckle, but only taking a tiny amount of time to do it. I could've seen that whole sequence happen in the mid-background while Dash was flying by, without even really focusing on [spoiler]Derpy   . Still visible, still works, but you haven't derailed us for half a minute of a thirty-minute production.

What really gets me is the entire ending credits, which behaves as though the PPG plot was THAT integral to the thing, so as to show all kinds of imagery of FIM and PPG characters interacting. That's what galls me about the poor pacing. That moment where the PPGs were looking for Rainbow after she'd vanished had me thinking, "uh oh, Blossom's gonna stumble onto a dimensional tear!"

You could've packed the ENTIRE kickoff Equestria plot into five minutes instead of nineteen if you'd worked at it, though I'd accept eight too. You could've had a STORY with the PPG's where they and maybe even their villains find their way to Equestria for the third act! Not just an encounter that takes up maybe seven minutes of the thirty-minute show at the tail end, which the end-credits try to tell us was the focal point of the entire thing. Why not EARN the extensively PPG'd ending credits? Seeing the character interaction would've made sense had anything like that been predominant.

That, or stop pretending this was about the PPG's, and have Rainbow pull a "Sliders," like I THOUGHT was going to happen, leaping from Universe to Universe trying to find her way back.

But I'm rambling. Wasted time = wasted potential for cool shit to happen.   

Postby Mad-Mutt » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:27 pm

Seeing as it is April Fools, I still kind of want to do something goofy or show you something goofy.
So.... Here's the weirdest shipping I could find on short notice.
Enjoy:

Bark

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:35 pm

An Optimist

Postby Mad-Mutt » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:46 pm

That's right Bon Bon, you fight for your mare!

As long as we're in a Dan kind of mood here.
I have no idea what the genesis of this was, but damn do I find it funny:

(Naughty Language Warning)

My Japanese isn't very good, but I think what Sweetie Bele is saying can be translated into "big brother" so I have no idea why Dan is so pissed.
Bark

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:50 pm

Oh yeah, that's been posted. But still wonderful. Big fun.

And yes, she is saying "big brother".
An Optimist

Postby Grieffon » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:31 pm

From a game's April's Fool event.

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:58 pm

Both those videos amused me greatly.

Kinda funny we get the MLP Japanese dub to watch on April 1st XD

Also, here's a direct link to the dub: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nmMr5S6GCg

I can't watch it though... American's are out of luck...
An Optimist

Postby Grieffon » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:08 am

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:51 am

Well then... that sure was an experience. A refreshed feeling, I'd say. Listening to all the Japanese voices was a treat, loved every single one. Well, except Rarity's. I don't know, but she sounded young compared to being the most mature sounding in the English version. But the one that hit me the hardest... Fluttershy... Oh my god... My heart just freakin burst when her cute as all the heavens voice got quieter and quieter, then suddenly got full of energy, yet was still very quiet. Twilight's, RD's, AJ's and Pinkie's voices fit quite well. But with AJ, after knowing what an Osakan accent is now, I was all "... Well that voice was unexpected." A friend of mine said it was something like a Kansai accent. Can someone elaborate and tell me if this is true and/or how a Kansai accent is different? Also, with the little Japanese knowledge I do have, I did notice they changed a couple things in the dialog to fit the region. Only a couple noticeable things though. But aside from voices, not needing to actually focus on them since I know the plot made me notice a lot of the background sound effects and music I never noticed before, or that might have been changed or added. It was really enriching to the ears. Then there was the Pony TV segment at the end which was interesting. Can't wait to know what they were talking about.

Over all it was just delightful to watch in a slightly new perspective.
An Optimist

Postby Grieffon » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:06 pm

AJ's voice is also different from what I imagined, but the characters still fit well.

Also, has anyone read issue 6 of the IDW comic?

Postby Mad-Mutt » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:54 pm

Wow, who knew Octavia knew hoof-fu?

(Bad puns ho!)
Bark

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:56 pm

It sort of reminded me of how RD fought in the Fighting is Magic showings.

I made myself sad now...

Edit: Here's a thing I didn't expect.

fixed vid
Last edited by Mr. Sefrol on Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
An Optimist

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:06 am

Mad-Mutt wrote:Wow, who knew Octavia knew hoof-fu?

(Bad puns ho!)

That's not Hoof-fu; that's Krav Mare-ga!
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:13 am

Not sure if I haven't posted this already but... here ya go. More Dashie.

"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby Mad-Mutt » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:31 pm

And I found this by accident... So I'm sharing it with you guys.

If any of you find this too weird I'll just make it a link.

Now here's cute to get that out of your head:

Bark

Postby Guardian » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:35 pm

Mad-Mutt wrote:And I found this by accident... So I'm sharing it with you guys.

If any of you find this too weird I'll just make it a link.

Reminds me of Ke$ha's music video to Blow.
“Salvation comes with a cost. Judge us not by our methods, but by what we seek to accomplish.”

"To punish and enslave..."
Semper Vigilans

PreviousNext

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)