Switch to full style
The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.
Post a reply

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:48 pm

@Biostar:

Oh shit, how did I mistake that for a crescent moon?! Damn you psychological fact that memories can be falsified by imagination.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:55 pm

Things I find worth mentioning in the new episodes:

Shining Armor+Cadence= Wife Toss!

King Somber sounds like a dinosaur to me. Even though I've never actually heard what a dinosaur sounds like.

Twilight and Spike aren't gonna split up. Buck those sad comics!

So... are Celestia and Luna gonna turn Twilight into an Alicorn or what? Those two were being all mysterious and stuff at the beginning.

None of these count as spoilers do they? :unsure:

Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:19 pm

Ahhhh season 3 has started bitches! My thoughts on the premiere: Pro's it's always nice to get another variation of ponies, Pinkie & Rarity had the best bits of the show & it's nice to see all the other royal ponies are not forgotten. Also finally a certain character finally gets respect.

Cons: Sombra. I'm sorry but Sombra is a weak as all hell villain. Sure he imprisoned an entire race of ponies but outside of that there was NOTHING to his character he didn't have the charm & fun of Discord or the creepy & awesome premise of The Changlings just a giant puff of smoke (which by the way STOP that shit already entertainment industry it didn't work on that piece of shit movie FF2 it didn't work well in green lantern & it didn't work here the only time it ever worked was in Ferngully)

Anyway decent start to the season now onto slapstick. Ah it's good to be back.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:22 pm

Not sure waht I have today (it'll take a while for the episode to digest in my mind before I start really noticing things but here is what I have now

1.    While King Sombra was desribed as a unicorn, we seem to have another subspecies in him. Specifically with the stokier build and forward pointing slightly curved and unspiraled horn, he looks like the ancient folkloric unicorn predecessor called a karakadann   

2.    While I get why the Mane 6 (well actually the Mane 6 +Shinging Armor and Cadence) "went crystal" when the spell came in force, why did some of them also change appearace then? Twilights mane went up into a bun, I think AJ's hat dissapeared again etc. (actually they looked a lot like they did when they were Cadence's Bridesmaids. Odd effect for the spell to have.   

Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:23 pm

ok, just saw it and    i loved the Crystal ponies, they are so cool and sparkly! but maybe thats the girly Rarity in me lol

Sombra was very boring but i think this episode was mostly suppose to center around Twilight so its all good

i was wondering something during the premiere also, and that is, is Cadence and Shining Armor the rulers of the Crystal Empire? the Crystal ponies did call Cadence "the Crystal Princess" so it seems so...

and here's something interesting, did anyone notice Berry Punch among the crowd of Crystal ponies during the fair? kinda odd lol - Spoiler Link   

@Mad-Mutt
ehhh, idk, but i would put spoiler tags on that anyway just to be safe, ok?

Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:06 pm

Nice episode, meh villain. I guess he just serves as a plot device and not an actual villain.

And for those who were talking about Luna, let me just toss this in. During EQLA, someone asked the writers about Luna's disappearance during the royal wedding. They replied that it has a purpose that will be revealed in the future. I'm looking up for that part, will post a link later.

That's a ton of foreshadowing in those 2 episodes.

I don't really need spoiler these do I? I haven't really mentioned the content of the episode.
Last edited by Grieffon on Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:22 pm

Ok good I thought I was the only one who thought Sombra was a weak entry.

Anyone else getting the comics from IDW?

Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:41 pm

watching it now.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:22 pm

Oh, for anyone who doesn't know the Gak joke, Gak is some sort of slime toy that got advertised a lot during the season premier, even thrice in a row. A few hours later Gak got ponified and get its own ask tumblr.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:26 pm

Mon-Kitsune wrote:Not sure waht I have today (it'll take a while for the episode to digest in my mind before I start really noticing things but here is what I have now

1.    While King Sombra was desribed as a unicorn, we seem to have another subspecies in him. Specifically with the stokier build and forward pointing slightly curved and unspiraled horn, he looks like the ancient folkloric unicorn predecessor called a karakadann   

2.    While I get why the Mane 6 (well actually the Mane 6 +Shinging Armor and Cadence) "went crystal" when the spell came in force, why did some of them also change appearace then? Twilights mane went up into a bun, I think AJ's hat dissapeared again etc. (actually they looked a lot like they did when they were Cadence's Bridesmaids. Odd effect for the spell to have.   

1.   I figured it was an aftereffect using dark magic for too long. Celestia and Twilight both took on a couple of his features when using it, so its not exclusive to him.   

2.    Most likely just an additional effect of the crystal heart and to just to make them look pretty.   

Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:33 pm

that was awesome.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:36 pm

Found it, here's the writers' reply about the question of Luna's whereabouts during the Royal wedding. They said more will be revealed in the future. And judging by    Luna's attitude during the episode, Order's theory might be correct.   

Biostar wrote:   Where has that symbol showed up before? When I saw it I was thinking:

"Swirls and stars? Stars and swirls..."

"Starswirl the Bearded?"

But that's just me.   

It's almost a 100% chance.    He is implied to be one the greatest magic user in history, so I don't think there's a higher level than that in terms of magic.   Celestia and Luna are powerful, but their talent is not magic, and as shown in the S2 finale, it's not hard to get stronger than them.

About the villain, I can sort of accept him given how the episode played out, but shouldn't they have at least included his motive? I mean, Luna became bitter and turned into NMM because she was bitter that no one appreciate her, Discord did it because it was fun, and Chrysalis needs to feed her subjects, but what was    King Sombra   's purpose?
Last edited by Grieffon on Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:36 pm

That Gak thing has really taken off.

Did anyone else get a sense of bread and circuses throughout the faire?   

Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:46 pm

ugh i don't really understand the Gak thing, i mean, it's just a dumb toy that got a lot of ads, but its not very special
its a pretty dumb toy for kids, too, like i can't imagine any child wanting one
seriously, 75% of the comments on the already linked episode were about Gak, i just don't get it i guess
also, that Gak pony is kinda gross looking, isn't it? O.o

Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:50 pm

You have obviously never had the pleasure of mixing borax and glue as a kid to make homemade slime. Non-Newtonian fluids are pretty great to just futz around with.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:50 pm

Grieffon wrote:Stuff about Luna

Life is good.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please don't quote a rather large post with just one line of text.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:54 pm

Haruhi5 wrote:ugh i don't really understand the Gak thing, i mean, it's just a dumb toy that got a lot of ads, but its not very special
its a pretty dumb toy for kids, too, like i can't imagine any child wanting one
seriously, 75% of the comments on the already linked episode were about Gak, i just don't get it i guess
also, that Gak pony is kinda gross looking, isn't it? O.o

It's just how this fanbase works. Something weird comes up, it will get ponified. And now there will be people who will buy the Gak toy and make pony sculptures out of it.

Also, this part was just priceless: Spoiler ep 2.

King Sombra mark the first violent death (presumably, maybe not, with his horn still in one piece), getting blasted into pieces.   

Soth wrote:You have obviously never had the pleasure of mixing borax and glue as a kid to make homemade slime.

There were some slime toy stuff I got back then had fake eyeball included. Good times.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:58 pm

Grieffon wrote:but what was    King Sombra   's purpose?

He was really just a literary device. The episode was really about Twilight and Spike and how they've grown.   

Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:00 pm

Marquis de Soth wrote:You have obviously never had the pleasure of mixing borax and glue as a kid to make homemade slime. Non-Newtonian fluids are pretty great to just futz around with.

well, i had jumbo silly putty, idk if that counts
and a slime toy that made weird noises when you smooshed it...

anywho...    Crystal chubbies anyone - Spoilerish Link   
Last edited by Witch Haru on Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:06 pm

Marquis de Soth wrote:   He was really just a literary device. The episode was really about Twilight and Spike and how they've grown.   

I know, but they should have at least explained what he wanted out of all that. Was he evil because it was fun to see others' misery, because he thirst for power, or for what reason? I don't imagine putting a few lines in the episode to explain that would have been a problem?

Also, now that I have seen both Celestia and Twilight    using dark magic, I really want to see an episode where one of them get corrupted   . I know there will be a new wave of evil Twilight or Celestia fanfic after this.

Also, Pinkie Pie's true form (unknown episode spoiler). I don't recommend seeing it unless you have seen the commercial.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:14 pm

He was an emperor. Emperors=Evil. Don't mind that he is referred to as "King" and that there were other leaders of the Crystal Empire that were decidedly not evil.   

Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:38 pm

Sorry but am I the only one who thinks that King Sombra wasn't as bad as a lot of people keep saying. Sure he wasn't the greatest villain we've had but it's partly because he wasn't at full power when he was defeated. He was a mere shadow for most of the episode and the Mane 6 were trying to keep him out and not getting rid of him more than anything. I don't know, just seems like he's getting too much hate from people.

There is also something I was wondering about the dark magic. Could it be that the dark magic corrupted Luna into NMM or maybe Sombra was the one who corrupted her. It just seems to me that this won't be the last we see of Sombra or at least hear about him. I'm more curious on what Luna's whole deal was during the episodes anyways. She seemed sorta on edge.   

Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:50 pm

Here's an interesting story. Yesterday, out of sheer boredom after a project at school my class was working, I started watching some GunCakes PMVs. Then some guys in my class behind me are like 'thafuck'er you watching'? I says, 'whatever the fuck I want'. Then some of em start getting behind me watching what I was watching; the part where the Changelings start meteoring all over Canterlot.

Why am I telling you this? Because I think if it happens again, I'm gonna show them the part where    Prince SA gets covered up in Sombra's 'body'.    Dat staring-into-danger moment, oh lord..

Oh and it's likely    Luna's probably gonna start teaching.    We get Dark magic and a Dark-style villain, who's to say?
Last edited by Maru on Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:51 pm

The big problem is that he's very nebulous at best. The last three major villains have been very physical in their presence and the stakes were made very clear with each. With Sombra, we get a very vague idea of some threat but it's not as close to home as the last ones were. However, I still feel that Sombra works for what he actually was, a generic threat to show that the main characters, particularly Spike and Twilight have had some major growths since the first episode of season one.   

Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:01 pm

I think Sombra's villain sorta rides on paranoia. It's like the Majora's Mask Moon. There's this whole sense of doom, but it isn't really, really there until it's dead close, like -12 Hours Remaining-. Example, after the whole haybed scene with Fluttershy and Dash, you see houses turning into dark crystals in the background. Because of the angle and hypothetical size of them, I was like, 'Oh fuck it's right behind them! O.O'   
Post a reply