Why are there so many Bell fans?

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Postby Rival » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:15 pm

len_geta wrote:Craig McCracken and Gendy Tarkofsky are gods among cartoonists for me. They've created Blossom, Bubbles, and Buttercup perfectly. The colors, style, and how well their personalities fit together is all genious, and this is why they will always be better than any "original" character. Don't get me wrong, Bell is awesome and probly the best knock-off character that will ever exist, but she follows to many cliches for me to like extensively. Evil and the black/white colors are too cliche, every "cool" knock-off usually seems to follow that formula.

It`s Tartarosky not Tarkofsky. But i get what you mean but still i prefer Bell.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 12834
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:54 pm
Location: Poland
Gender: Male

Re: Why are there so many Bell fans?

Postby Jack Salem » Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:05 pm

I'd have to agree with Geta a bit. A lot of people are talking about how Bell's story is a lot better and her personality is a lot more complex or whatever. I'd have to disagree because:

A) Other than the fact that she's the head councils daughter, that's virtually the ONLY story she has. I....can't see the deepness there. Mystery but that's about it. However, I feel that since so many of you have so much faith that Bleedman's character origins must be as uber fantastic as his art (I already said my opinion on his narration) that of course Bell's character plotline HAS to be imaginative.

B) In my eyes, Bell is only about 1/3rd an original character. Why is this? Other than clothes color, hairstyle, and most of her personality she's of a description directly from the PPG themselves. As for her personality, sure she's moody but only between 2 character cliches. The 'naive good girl' and the oh so standard 'bad guy badass that toys with good guy cuz ther badass' architype.

C)Sure bell is cool but I'm not really goin' OMG BEST CHRCT ON PPGD OMFG SO ORIGINAL' because really she's not as much original as an outlet of the three girls combined. Hope I didn't sound too harsh but that's just my opinion.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 632
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:39 pm
Gender: None specified

Postby Icerider » Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:23 pm

You're entitled to it. It's just different to see the PPG getting kicked by someone their own size and type. I like Bell most. That's my opinion, even though it's a bit cliche'd.
Image
Just call me Ice
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 4280
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:20 pm
Location: Right Here
Gender: None specified

Postby Krunkmatt09 » Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:35 pm

It would be cool if they had princess enter into the comic and Bell would find her annoying and not wanna team up with her and Princess would always try to pal around!
Well, I'm back by popular demand, well not exactly!

Boomer of the Rowdyruff Boys rocks, he's my favorite guy character in the doujinshi!

Wassup, everybody, well I have to say The Powerpuff Girls Doujinshi rocks!!

Hell yeah, I spell crunk with a K!! LOL!
ImageImageImage
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:43 pm
Location: In my room
Gender: None specified

Postby Monsoonkiller » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:52 pm

god i hate princess, i'd pay to see bell beat the crap out of here
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:15 am
Location: Ohio
Gender: None specified

Postby Yoshi » Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:00 am

I like McCracken and Tartarosky but I still like Jhonen Vasquez better. Note to self: Find some Johnny The Homocidal Maniac comics.
"Worst case scenario I'll get arrested for public nudity.
Best case scenerio I'll get arrested for public nudity with a boner. It's win win.
" ~ Dave
"Also Yoshi is the most important person in all of Australia." ~ Zepherin
Moderator

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 12585
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:38 am
Location: In A Tree Gathering My Nuts
Gender: None specified

Postby Rev » Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:06 am

Yoshimoto wrote:I like McCracken and Tartarosky but I still like Jhonen Vasquez better. Note to self: Find some Johnny The Homocidal Maniac comics.


Now there's something I can get behind. Jhonen Vasquez is one of my favorite artists. So dark...so great...
You say the glass is half full. I say the glass is half empty because some guy came and took a drink out of my glass, and now I'll probably die from some horrible disease like leprosy, but before I die I'll be shipped to an island to get electro-shock therapy, but it won't work and my arms will fall off and it's all because some guy took a drink from my glass! THAT's pessimism, my friends.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:22 am
Location: I ask myself that often...
Gender: None specified

Re: Why are there so many Bell fans?

Postby stray » Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:19 am

Dakota Sanz wrote:I'd have to agree with Geta a bit. A lot of people are talking about how Bell's story is a lot better and her personality is a lot more complex or whatever. .


Well...she doesn't have a story YET, but there's a good possibility of a story coming out...mayhaps luring her to the side of good, or something or other.

The fact is, she's new. PPG have their story/family. Bleedman can't change that. But Bell, is she REALLY the daughter? Or was she created/adopted/kidnapped as a child (c'mon, she's so pretty!)...? Can she, perhaps, become a better person and help the PPG in their fight against evil? Why does she love Gir so much?

Questions like that make Bell attractive. And yes, her character design (i.e. her physical appearance) just roxx0rz
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 413
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:04 pm
Gender: None specified

Postby Icerider » Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:23 am

lol Changers...GIR's cool, no matter what side he's on! He'll probably always be with Bell though.
Image
Just call me Ice
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 4280
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:20 pm
Location: Right Here
Gender: None specified

Postby Monsoonkiller » Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:33 pm

Gir is kind of not really on any side presay. He hasn't done much beside bring comic relife but hell he's still funny.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:15 am
Location: Ohio
Gender: None specified

Postby Icerider » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:02 pm

Bell will keep him with her. So whatever side she's on, he'll be on.
Image
Just call me Ice
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 4280
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:20 pm
Location: Right Here
Gender: None specified

Re: Why are there so many Bell fans?

Postby Abaddon » Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:42 am

Personally, I think people are overlooking the possibility that Bell isn't an original character but instead.... is actually a Dee Dee clone. I know it might be crazy but it seems to me that nothing else except a new Dee Dee could break Mandark out of his angsty, depressed mood. Besides, how neat would it be to have a fight between Dexter's sister and girlfriend. It also explains her sweet side...
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:30 am
Gender: None specified

Postby Icerider » Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:44 am

hmm...didn't think of that...interesting possibility.
Image
Just call me Ice
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 4280
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:20 pm
Location: Right Here
Gender: None specified

Re: Why are there so many Bell fans?

Postby stray » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:38 am

a DeeDee clone?!
whoah, interesting
but regardless, she's still an original character.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 413
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:04 pm
Gender: None specified

Postby Crash » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:28 pm

a deedee clone? naaaah.. she much to smart and evil for that.. Deedee was allways destroying things, but never wanted to hurt anyone.. I dont think she's a clone
Learning Kanji is like trying to memorize a cartoon, how to draw it, what the caption is, and what the caption MEANS. and most of the time there's more than one caption.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 6775
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:24 pm
Location: The Netherlands.
Gender: None specified

Postby Lengeta » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:34 pm

Icerider wrote:I like Bell most. That's my opinion, even though it's a bit cliche'd.


That's almost the exact reason I don't like her so much, uber-cliche. I think all the Sonic "original" fan characters are what killed characters such as Bell for me.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 10945
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2003 11:59 pm
Location: Lehi, UT
Gender: None specified

Postby stray » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:51 pm

she's not cliche for me, more like just a simple design. for her personality, what colorscheme would you choose? can't go with red, she's not hotheaded.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 413
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:04 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Why are there so many Bell fans?

Postby sundance » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:57 pm

>.@

I think Bell is the Anti Hero we all want and need.

She has the little girl lost and angelic white characterization of a nymph and can turn into a devil at thre "drop of a hat" Excellent character development.

What's not to love?
I am entering my Second childhood, which is good, because I didn't enjoy my first one!
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:37 pm
Location: NC
Gender: None specified

Postby Candy-sama » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:53 am

Agrees with ^
I have cooties, and when boys touch me, they burn.
Image
Digi-Charat characters are cute
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:34 am
Location: Canada... eh?
Gender: None specified

Postby Icerider » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:45 pm

I don't know. Just that some people don't like "used" ideas.

As was mentioned, she isn't hot headed, so red wouldn't go with her. She isn't extremely cold to everyone, so blue is out of the question, and taken. She's evil, so there goes yellow, orange and pink, which is also taken. Brown just doesn't suit, Green's already taken, also.

It doesn't leave a lot of choice, you know! That's why most truly evil enemies are black and white, sometimes grey.
Image
Just call me Ice
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 4280
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:20 pm
Location: Right Here
Gender: None specified

Re: Why are there so many Bell fans?

Postby Curris » Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:19 am

The reason why I love Bell is the fact that her dual nature meshes so well. She is not just a bad ass/good girl mix, because she in fact seems to be unaware of her differing personalities. Her very essence of character resonates with depth and detail. I have found deep symbolism to support this.

1. Notice how Bell's uniform is white. White ( Near Ultraviolet ) is the highest color in the Electromagnetic spetrum (Which means High power and potential) Consider other powerful individuals who represented power through the color white ( Adult and Personality Merged Raven, Teen Titans; Gandalf the White, Lord of the Rings; Etc.).

2. Her eyes are true white ( Pupil-less ) when in a "Good" mode. and faded grey when "Evil". White eyes represent purity, while the grey subtlely hints at a deeper darkness.

3. After returning to a "Good" mode, ( Such as after halting her attack in front of Gir-ly), she seems to be unaware of the fact that she was attacking someone. She seems to be almost amnesiac ( Spelling? ) and vunerable. The way I describe it, is that she seems "Blank"; Neither good, nor evil ( On the surface anyway... ). She just follows her orders with unswerving loyalty, and her playful innocence is just secondary.

4. As far as color schemes go, the color white/grey fits her Blank status, similiar to the way it fits an empty easel, or the matrix construct. Blank, but endless possibilities ( Potential ).

This is by no means abandoning Blossom. She lost, but as a victim of circumstance. She had the method to stop Bell, but then the Council Showed up and overwhelmed her. As an antangonist, Bell is required to be the more powerful foil to any single hero. Besides the PPG operate as a team; therein lies their truest strength, among the love, friendship, and trust. Without her fellow PPG's, Blossom was at the disadvantage.

All characters in any world fit an archtype. If they didn't, a new archtype would be created to hold them. However, I feel that this alone does not make a character "Used"; only the poor insertion and development of the character can dullen the effect of a character like that. So far, Bell has attracted a fan base due to an extremely well developed image and self, ( From the perspective of the readers. ). None of the characters have been "Used", as they have maintained the purity of their archtype.

P.S. This is my first post here. I just finished reading the archives. Excellent, Amazing, Spellbinding work. The characters fit excellently from their own art styles, into anime -esque styles, and style Bleedman uses to draw them. They interact in a way that seems fully plausible but interesting ( Dynamic ), with room for twists! The layout is well thought out and flows well; neither too cluttered, nor obtrusive. Thank you for the give of this comic, Bleedman! /thanks

P.P.S. Let me know if my two cents shed any enlightenment. Tell me your thoughts, too. Or do I think too much? ( I do frequently over-analyze...)

P.P.P.S. Sorry for the long post! ^_^
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:53 am
Location: IL, USA
Gender: None specified

Postby Yoshi » Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:27 am

Nice intro post :)
"Worst case scenario I'll get arrested for public nudity.
Best case scenerio I'll get arrested for public nudity with a boner. It's win win.
" ~ Dave
"Also Yoshi is the most important person in all of Australia." ~ Zepherin
Moderator

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 12585
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:38 am
Location: In A Tree Gathering My Nuts
Gender: None specified

Re: Why are there so many Bell fans?

Postby Jack Salem » Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:49 am

Although I doubt Bleedman did that much research/insight for Bell, still good point.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 632
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:39 pm
Gender: None specified

Postby Crash » Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:56 am

good lord.. what are you? are spycho-analist?
wow you really dismanteld Bell there..
very nice..
Learning Kanji is like trying to memorize a cartoon, how to draw it, what the caption is, and what the caption MEANS. and most of the time there's more than one caption.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 6775
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:24 pm
Location: The Netherlands.
Gender: None specified

Postby Candy-sama » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:25 am

Wow, didn't expect that for someones first post.
Great insight... worth every cent...
I have cooties, and when boys touch me, they burn.
Image
Digi-Charat characters are cute
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:34 am
Location: Canada... eh?
Gender: None specified

PreviousNext

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest