Top reasons why Dreamworks shouldn't mess up in FanFics

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Top reasons why Dreamworks shouldn't mess up in FanFics

Postby Can't-tell-ya-my-name » Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:08 am

Hi... I'm still alive... but now I have to feed all the angry mob of PPG doujinshi that camp in front of my house *sigh* (keeping a close eye on the fan that likes to hang around with the giant butcher's knife* :shock:

Anyway, not want to start a war here... just thought of charing a little something that I'm FORCED to do everytime we're working a new project or a sequel or anything else...

I just read the lattest chapter and I enjoyed it very much... actually for the same reasons I'm going to chare here. Hope the angry mob don't kill me for this one (after all, so far they are behaving... although is spooky to see the guy with the butcher's knife walking around like he owns the place...)

Top reasons why Dreamworks (and Disney too!!) shouldn't mess up with Originals in FanFics (I'm sure many will point out that we have done it... yep, and then most of the times we regret it later on *sign*)

This advice came from a writter of science fictions Best Sellers. Loooooooooooong time ago we were trying to figure out the equation to make happy with our stuff and not get angry mobs instead (after all, an angry mob means we wont be able to get back the investment we do in a movie!! money is what moves us, kids!!! is a sad truth, but is the truth neverless!!). He told us what most writters try to do when taking characters from someone else...

1. Keep the main characters as MAIN all the time if the story or the name of the project is based on them.
Ex. in this case, "PPG Doujinshi"... the PPG should be and remain as the main characters all the time (yes, yes... please don't fight now... don't kill me either... I'm not criticizing Mr. Bleedman's work... I just couldn't think of any other fan work that could rock as much as this one so as to use as an example. Geez). Of course we need more characters (secondary ans cameo appearances, if not the main wont have much to do... but the story should center around the main characters as much as is possible... is not, then perhaps the name of the story should be changed... "Cartoon Network Doujinshi" (*run for my life* *angry mob chasing after*)

2. Never make fan-made characters more powerful/intelligent/smart/etc than the characters you are making the fanwork from.
Now this one is really interesting... common sense tells us "but a stronger fan-made character will give a real challenge to the Oficial one..." eh, yes, but that doesn't mean that people will really like it. Actually people are very temperamental creatures (specially fans, that's why they are fans)... if you mess up with their beloved characters you have to make sure your will is up-to-date.
I feel I can safely assume that Mr. Bleedman's Bell has a bigger fan than the PPG, at least that's the impression I receive here in this forum. MHO? I like Bell, but maybe because I've been bound to the above reasons I would preffer that Blossom would win. I definitelly enjoyed the last pages far more than the previous ones... until I saw how wrong my interpretation of Blossom was.

I even spend almost 4 hours straight watching my baby-daughter's PPG's videos to see my mistake... my conclusion? Here it goes:
Bell could win over Blossom. Why? Because Blossom is part of the PPG. The PPG are a team. They always fight as a team and they kick baddies ass as a team. They are heck powerful. Individually they are all strong, but as the team they are they can make anyone wet their pants. Watch the cartoons. The PPG are always together when it comes to fighting. Those times when they get angry with themselves when the badguys show up they need to cooperate and get together once more in order to beat them.
I would believe that Blossom's route of action in this Doujishi would be... to try to outsmart Bell and get the hell out of her sight... until she's with her sisters.

Oh well... just my thoughts. Hope people wont kill me for this and just chare ideas. (*watching out for the fan with the chain-saw* WTF?!!!)

Later.

Postby Fixen » Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:47 am

Uhh...the so-called Angry Mob is around 30 miles away from you. XD

Oh? Don't worry, I'm not part of them. *hides rifle*

So...arguments can contradict themselves, you know. On the account that Bell is so similar to the PPG, and you should also take into thought that the originals do appear very often (albeit very centered at Blossom), you would see that Bleedman has so far breached your rules, but didn't tip the balance yet. As of now, the five chapters he went through were all about introducing the characters.

Which brings me to other argument: Can you stop now? We've had enough characters.

Re: Top reasons why Dreamworks shouldn't mess up in FanFics

Postby chessiejo » Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:23 am

there is a problem with fights. if the heroes never lose, it gets dull after a while. that happened in Superman years ago i guess, when they had to invent kryptonite to give his enemies an edge. i think it has already happened to Yu-Gi-Oh.
but i hate to see Blossom get badly hurt!
maybe there is no answer for this problem...?
Last edited by chessiejo on Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Fixen » Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:51 pm

I hate that too, but somehow and somewhat, I wished for that to happen as a way to get out of the monotonous streak in hero stories.

Or maybe I'm sadistic. XD

Postby Aresz-kun » Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:55 pm

Ex. in this case, "PPG Doujinshi"... the PPG should be and remain as the main characters all the time

aaaaand it will stay like that all the time, everyone can rest assured that despite we have the RRB, Dexter, Samurai Jack, Jenny etc. in the story the ending conclusion will be that the evil guys will be defeated by the PPGs and the PPGs alone so don't expect something else. These characters will be left behind sooner or later...
"I hate this job"

Postby chessiejo » Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:07 pm

all right, i will trust you, and put my anxieties to bed...

Postby JoeEngland » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:33 pm

I know exactly what you mean with rule number 2. There's one fan-fiction writer I follow, Notmanos, who has made a wonderfully sophisticated and respectable universe combining Joss Whedon's TV series Angel with Bryan Singer's X-Men movies (mostly built around Hugh Jackman's Wolverine). And yet, his original characters irritate me constantly... many of them seem almost perfect, with every combat skill or superpower ever, and almost no personality flaws to speak of.
One in particular, Bob, is basically an ex-god (the Powers-That-Be kicked him out because he was too great, or something). He's always saving everyone's butts and then delivering the moral of the story... I can't stand that guy. Compared to him, Professor X is a handicapped kid. Wolverine is Robin to his Batman. He's more handsome and charismatic and wise than anyone. Read the stories... if you see the Bob character make one serious mistake, or display any real negative emotion, or not happen to have an astonishing superpower or cute remark for any situation, let me know. Ever watch "Retarded Animal Babies?" He's Infinity Lad. And that one element almost ruins the fanfics for me.
Other than that though, I'd say it's really good stuff... I'm sorry, am I moving too far off-topic? Ah, I'll shut up.

----------------------------
http://www.zebragirl.net
-----------------------------
http://www.zebragirl.net

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)