Parents Television Council Attacks [adult swim]

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Parents Television Council Attacks [adult swim]

Postby Wulfespinndel » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:23 am

CrunchyRoll wrote:Cartoon Network's Adult Swim, the associate programming block of its anime Toonami line-up, has raised the ire of Parents Television Council, a pro-censorship group founded in 1995 by conservative activist L. Brent Bozell III, with a scheduling change that saw the mature audience line-up starting at 8 p.m., rather than 9.

“Parents beware: not all cartoons are created equal. And what’s particularly dangerous about Cartoon Network and ‘Adult Swim’ is that the content changes from being kid-friendly to adult-oriented not with the click of a remote, but with the tick of the clock,” said the council’s president, Tim Winter in the organization's press release.

It continues
“Cartoon Network’s ‘Adult Swim’ has a long history of marketing explicit animation to children. The network’s announcement that it is moving this programming block to an even earlier hour when children are more likely to be in the audience is disturbing on a number of levels. The network claims that they’re targeting adult males by moving ‘Adult Swim’ to an earlier hour, but in the process children are being thrown under the bus.
Our own research on animated programming documents the troubling amount of sexual content airing on cartoons, and ‘Adult Swim’ in particular included some of the highest levels of explicit content. Also in our study, we found that Cartoon Network failed to use the TV ratings system to warn parents about sexual content, suggestive dialogue and explicit language 100 percent of the time.

Adult Swim has been very successful for Cartoon Network. For 2013, Adult Swim set ratings records for adults 18-34, 18-49 and men 18-34, according to preliminary data from Nielsen Media Research.
For the year, the Toonami block grew average delivery of all targeted demos by double digits, ranging between 39% and 44%.

via New York Daily News

"Declare the past, diagnose the present, foretell the future; practice these acts. As to diseases, make a habit of two things — to help, or at least to do no harm."
-Hippocrates

KR Series Finished: Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, OOO, Fourze, Wizard
No. of Combat Arms Unbelievables: 3
Live by the Sword die by the Sword

Re: Parents Television Council Attacks [adult swim]

Postby Tuor » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:28 am

Maybe parents should try some actual fucking parenting and tell there kids to go to bed/stop them watching tv when the shows get inappropriate.
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Tenshi Nova » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:31 am

That's what my family does.
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
Rocks

Postby Tuor » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:33 am

Parents these days (most of them) don't seem to get that parenting y'know, actually requires you to do some fucking work and put some effort in
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Tenshi Nova » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:51 am

I honestly, haven't seen this first hand, so I wouldn't know.
What I do know is, there are ways to block content, making so that kids would need a code set by a parent in order to watch shows with certain a rating.
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
Rocks

Postby Birdofterror » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:16 am

In the most extreme cases, yes the entire channel could be blocked, but you could just enforce stricter rules like Tuor said.

Then again, in my case, no matter how strict your parents are, a little patience and ingenuity can get you past any rule. Either wait for them to go to sleep, or use your quickly developing child brain to swiftly figure out how they are blocking it and unblock it.

No vchip or computer password could stop this kid. :D

Then again, fiddling around with locked electronics I think is what ended up making me somewhat tech savvy, so I still agree with harsh rules. The smartest kids will get the contraband. ;)
"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby The Mad Doctor » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:29 am

Hahahaha, that's hilarious there. They forget how intelligent people are.
F U Im evil

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)