9/11. Your Thoughts?

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

9/11. Your Thoughts?

Postby Mo Yeongsu » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:33 pm

This is a demonstration to certain people on how to make a real thread that has intelligent discussion. If any mod does feel this thread is lockable, by all means go ahead.

With the 7th year anniversary of the World Trade Center attacks close at hand, I'd like to get some thoughts from you guys, despite many of us really not being affected by the events at all. The significance of 9/11 is that it was a well planned, deliberate attack on American lives on US soil. Some of you may think it happened and it's over and have no more thoughts on it and if that's you, then don't post. My questions are:

-Did it affect you? Did you lose anyone? Do you know someone who did? Did it change your perspective on anything? After all, before that event, terrorist attacks were far off things that really didn't seem real. In fact, you may still feel safe and untouchable.

-Where do you see 9/11's place in history? I doubt anyone would have voted for war with Iraq if not for the events of September 11th. And think about this, it's sort of our generation's Pearl Harbor. 20-30 years from now the images will not bring up any memories to the children studying history. It'll be another date to memorize with some facts that don't have any relevance to them at all.

-Are you doing anything on 9/11 besides being pissed that people are talking about it and halting work to remember people they don't know?

Just a few things to think on.

Postby Marquis de Soth » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:34 pm

This year I plan on doing something different. Of course I will reflect on the death experienced from that day. However, instead of being miserable and sad on that day, I plan to celebrate the life around me.
Marquis de Soth

Postby the_original_vitrial » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:39 pm

We should have a memorial to the survivors, you know, the people and animals they dug out of the wreckage. I heard some people actualy came out alive from that thing. And if you survived something like that then you deserve a friggin statue.
ya'll can kiss my hairy ass

Postby Grey » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:41 pm

It is very much so the Pearl Harbour of this generation. The difference being that after PEarl Harbour, America attacked the people responsible.

America - I find - makes too big a deal of the 9/11 attacks. People need to move on. It was a terrible event and the only thing that can be done is prevent something like it happening again. Dwelling on it isn't going to solve a thing. After the 7/7 London bombings, security has tightened up and several attempted London bombings have been thwarted as a result. We remember, but we don't really make a huge day out of it.

Keep the soldier in Iraq but take their guns. Give them hammers and screwdrivers so they can start rebuilding the disgusting number of destroyed housing and make up for the disgusting number of Iraqis killed in the war.
I'm NORML and I VOTE
Soul Silver Friend Code: 0260-2900-0828
Suave Brit

Sexiness: Godlike

Postby Mirak's Mod Ghost » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:42 pm

I honestly do not care much about that day.
Patt-Ytto Productions | Dickwaffles

Postby bob-dude » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:47 pm

Cry me a river then Build a bridge and get over it. What is done be done.
Paolini: Characters are born of necessity

Griddles: Well you know I am sadistic... I'll only kill a character when their purpose is served.

Postby Mo Yeongsu » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:49 pm

Bob-dude, you really did miss what I was trying to accomplish and probably didn't read my post, but decided to look cool and come down here to flame me. That hurts buddy. And if you read the "Sorrow Day" thread, you might understand the second meaning of this thread.

Postby BlazingBarrager » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:50 pm

Mir@k wrote:I honestly do not care much about that day.

Why am I not surprised... :anger:

Location: That little place in your head you don't know about.

Postby Sable » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:54 pm

I feel great sorrow for the thousands of people that died on that day. But it also makes me realise how lucky i am to be alive.
RacialslurX2

Postby L_Leon_Fuego » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:54 pm

I remember I was in my fifth grade homeroom when it happened. I remember that on our way to gym, the teachers we passed had some worried looks on their faces. Our gym teacher broke the news to us, and I didn't understand the gravity of the situation until they sent us home early and my dad picked me up.

My father works for the government and his building was evacuated. We went home and they were replaying the footage from Good Morning America. I was scared. The fact that America, the place where I lived, the home that I thought was invincible, was attacked definitely shook me. I was scared because my mom was on a plane and I didn't know if it was one of the ones hi-jacked. I thank God that she wasn't on one. The next day I realized that danger was all around me. I had been taking martial arts classes all my life and I felt that I was pretty much invincible.

Looking back I realize that the events of 9/11 is what started me into being more cautious, to start appreciating life, and realize how easily it could be ended. I realized from the beginning that this was history in action. It was the first time I realized that too.

On a side note, on 9/11 I'm getting my wisdom teeth removed.

Postby bob-dude » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:00 pm

I understand it, I'm just really not that much in the mood for a thread like this but I'll give it my best of what I have on me. FYI I was NOT flaming you dude, sorry if it seemed like I was but it wasn't like I was yelling or telling you to STFU or anything. I was just being blunt, it has been 7 years and personally I think we need to move on.

-Did it affect you? Did you lose anyone? Do you know someone who did? Did it change your perspective on anything? First off no it did not effect me, no I did not lose anyone, no I did not lose anyone I know and truth be told I was too young(as most people here were at the time) to really get what was going on at the time so it really has not changed anything about me in the long run. I'm still as F-ed up as ever.

Where do you see 9/11's place in history? I see it has how history will remember it, vague but the vagueness works for me.

-Are you doing anything on 9/11 besides being pissed that people are talking about it and halting work to remember people they don't know? That I know of, no. The 12th day of the nineth month will just be another avarage day in bob land.

And I am fully aware of the second reason of this thread, I'll get back to you when I'm in my "chat topics" mode.

Griddles: Well you know I am sadistic... I'll only kill a character when their purpose is served.

Postby Mirak's Mod Ghost » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:03 pm

BlazingBarrager wrote:
Mir@k wrote:I honestly do not care much about that day.

Why am I not surprised... :anger:
Because i am a Mexican and don't care? Fucking sue me, we've had tragedies too and i don't remember people from other countries caring, you want me to care? I'm sorry for the people that died. Ok, am i on your buddy list now? Seriously.
Patt-Ytto Productions | Dickwaffles

Postby Mo Yeongsu » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:04 pm

Bob, here is why I was just a little ticked at you and Mir:

Mo's first post wrote:Some of you may think it happened and it's over and have no more thoughts on it and if that's you, then don't post.

Postby bob-dude » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:06 pm

Ah, point taken then. My apologizes.

Postby Comic Kitten » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:17 pm

That day has no specific meaning to me other than it was a sad day to my country. I had no one I knew get killed of harmed, but I'm also not one to not care. I don't cry or feel sad about it, but I don't just ignore the day either. This 9/11 I'm actually buying my ticket to go visit my older sister in Washington ^_^
Hmm

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:24 pm

Terrorists will have a field day when 9/11 comes... I don't want to sound sadistic or insensitive, but knowing how blood thirst those guys are, I think they'd be smiling and grinning ear-to-ear remembering this day...

This goes show that every nation always has its own chink on their armor...

Seen the replay on TV... what's my reaction?

HO-HO-HOLLLY SHIT!

I was smiling and laughing in disbelief, in awe--'coz it's unbelievable! It's like something out of a game--something I would do in a game! D:>

I don't want to see another event like this :<

And yeah, Security should be "One Up'd".
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby J-Dude » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:35 pm

That's the one thing people don't bother to give Bush's administration credit for: no other attacks HAVE hapenned on American soil since that one.

I mean, blame the guy for what you will, but nobody can deny security upping has been a rousing success in 9/11's wake.

Personally, I don't think it's right for people, especially from other nations, to say things like "get over it". 9/11 was an anomaly, one we hadn't seen the likes of since Pear Harbor in WWII.

We Americans have grown use to the feeling that while danger exists in the world, and wars are waged, they are mostly apart from our lives here. Here in our borders, we feel safe from foreign threats. When 9/11 hapenned, when the most massive buildings in the most massive city in our nation were destroyed, and a symbol of defense and power was wounded, it completely rocked our worlds. The front line was HERE! Here, in our very country! All day I remember half of use were searching the skies here in Southern California, searching for a plane that might even be heading for Los Angeles!

Look, I know how sheltered and timid that makes us sound, but we're used to being...well, pretty sheltered. The blanket of our military's protection has kept us safe and warm for decades, and the generation of the time mainly has never experienced such a thing. So of COURSE when it finally did, it was etched forever in our minds!

You hear ancient war veterans go on about the events of their day, about things they remember. Most of OUR generation hardly gives a shit about WWII or anyone who died there mainly because it was before our time.

So no, while most of us didn't lose somebody in 9/11, we're not forgetting it anytime either. It's the direct catalyst for the culture and world of our time, and we know it. So when the magic "9/11" date rolls by again, what did you think we were going to think of? Odd numbers?
Harry intentionally used the occlumantic link to see Voldemort's thoughts. He was flicking lit matches at Lucius Malfoy.
"Your pain bores me," said Darth Nonose. "Go fetch Severus. I have some death for him."
Wazit_Blade: "Gah! J-Dude just invaded the thread!"

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:04 pm

I guess not.

Though, I would to have some of those "blankets" you speak of :]
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby J-Dude » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:45 pm

Kusang_Manalo wrote:I guess not.

Though, I would to have some of those "blankets" you speak of :]

Is a metaphor :P
Harry intentionally used the occlumantic link to see Voldemort's thoughts. He was flicking lit matches at Lucius Malfoy.
"Your pain bores me," said Darth Nonose. "Go fetch Severus. I have some death for him."
Wazit_Blade: "Gah! J-Dude just invaded the thread!"

Re: 9/11. Your Thoughts?

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:56 am

I know :P
Not-an-animator

Postby m0rutu » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:59 am

I can't say I was affected noticeably on that day.... but it was tragic, it was a war crime, and I am still very disappointed at how most people have reacted to it.
The general population, with their "9/11 - never forget!" stickers, have pretty much forgotten about the whole thing.
The fact that the people who claimed responsibility for the attack haven't been punished yet is pretty amazing.

I mean, just imagine what the history books will say: something like "On 9/11 xxxxxxxxxxxx lives were lost... Al' Quaida claims responsibility... US puts out a bounty.... aaaaaand everyone goes back to fighting over the same-sex marriage issue (see chapter 'Useless Debates of early 21st century')"
I think the students of that history class will have some questions for the teacher.
m0rutu

Postby Sable » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:55 pm

Hey, Is it true that the terrorists on teh plane only had knives? Cause if that was so thatd be messed...up....
RacialslurX2

Postby Mo Yeongsu » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:16 pm

I think it was box cutters, Sable. And if that was the case, I know what you're thinking: "There should have been some man that was willing to risk getting stabbed to protect the people."

Nowadays, if a terrorist pulled a knife, I wouldn't be afraid to risk it. If there were just two or three able bodied men trying to take one guy down, it'd be worth it to get stabbed or die because after 9/11 we'd know that one or two people dying could save thousands more in that situation. The pilot or the stewardess should never have opened the cabin door on those 9/11 hijackings regardless of the weapons.

Postby Sable » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:40 pm

Mo Yeongsu wrote:I think it was box cutters, Sable. And if that was the case, I know what you're thinking: "There should have been some man that was willing to risk getting stabbed to protect the people."

Nowadays, if a terrorist pulled a knife, I wouldn't be afraid to risk it. If there were just two or three able bodied men trying to take one guy down, it'd be worth it to get stabbed or die because after 9/11 we'd know that one or two people dying could save thousands more in that situation. The pilot or the stewardess should never have opened the cabin door on those 9/11 hijackings regardless of the weapons.

Excactly. I would have risked my life knowing i would save thousands. And theers also the fact that well, either, I sit down and do nothing and we all die. Or, Risk my life to stop the terrorists knowing that theres a good chance ill be stabbed, but will save thousands, and who knows, i might still survive.
RacialslurX2

Postby Mo Yeongsu » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:55 pm

The problem is Sable that the passengers of that flight really didn't know how to react. There have been other hijackings, but many do end without all the passengers dying. They land, have a few days stand off demanding shit and much of the time the passengers are freed.

After the people on the plane thought to be headed for the white house found out what happened at the WTC they took down their captors and died doing so. So, they did do it, but really when your life is in that situation, I doubt you'll have anything but fear on your mind.

Next

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)