OUCH!!! Touchy! - Competitors are hatin' on the Doujinshi!

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

OUCH!!! Touchy! - Competitors are hatin' on the Doujinshi!

Postby Jack Salem » Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:50 pm

Girly fans:
are pissed. Just in case you didn't know, I've got the scoop (and a few E-pinions)

Story:
GIRLY has dropped to NUMBER NINE on the buzzComix top 100!!
It's currently being beaten by THE POWERPUFF GIRLS DOUJINSHI.

ptoooiey! Take that-um...*ahem*...er...Yeh, there's been a lot of hype around the doujinshi.
I think it's time for Marshmellow Kitty vs. Stupid Powerpuff Girls Fancomic.

All the reviews I've read hail the story enticing, the art gorgeous and the concept enginous....but I ran into some nasty comments that I'd like to comment on a *chuckles* rival comic's forum I was checking out.

I know a lot of 'eml probably saw the reacent 'pun' a small friendly joke in the comic but still, some are taking it quite seriously. The Girly supporters ground have always been the only place I've ever read bitter feedback for the comic. Perhaps it's in jeleousy/fanboyism for the comic or whatever but this litttle tid-bit may have made it worse. Just a small example:
The mere existance of such a comic makes me die a little inside. :(

Aww.. I like that doujinshi comic stuff. Even though the plot isn't all that amusing to me (the whole DeeDee thing... ick... who cares?)

come on, this PPG doujunshi (.. or fancomic idno) looks pretty damn professional.

response:Professional or not, it's crap. It's not entertaining at all, so I don't care how good it looks.

Although I laugh, I gotta agree to some extent. The concept is great but the plot trails off, not to mention it isn't too solid or based on any 'foundation' or growing ground. It seems to jump from bell to the rowdy ruffs to jack to bell again...it's just how the plot progressed that by the time Deedee's story came I just didn't care too much. Meh, Bleedman said being a writer wasn't his strong suites anyway.
The actual quality of color and art is rather impressive, I must say. But what makes it not work is the lack of a good story-line and very dull dialogue.

The dialogue is quite dull though. If it wasn't for the radiance of the visuals/setup or the colors then basing the comic on dialogue alone it is quite boring now that it's mentioned.
The story isn't the syrupy sweet tripe most folks expect, which is probably what throws most folks off.

response: ...are you joking? It's exactly what I expect: unoriginal SHIT. And whatever idiot makes the comic must know next to nothing about Invader Zim to give GIR that horrible dialogue.

Yeh, Gir's appearance was kinda funy but it just didn't feel like Gir to me. Gir isn't stupid and annoying cute dog thing...he's more of the mentally insane type. Almost everything he says in the show is completly random. The only real random thing in the comic he's said was "Eat Me!".

So...yeh hate to side with the enemy but they raise some good points. Even still, the doujinshi to me is still one of the best reads on the internet.

Discuss feelings, thoughts, flames, etc.

Postby Shebum Devi » Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:57 pm

You gotta consider, even without us, he'd probably continue to do the doujin. In the end it's about what he enjoys, we come second. Like he said he isn't good with stories, he's good with art...and he's doing it by himself. I can't imagine that to be an easy set up. Maybe if he had a writer to help him out...it'd blow people's minds.
Ah, I'm just speculating...but what is true is that most of those people are just plain bitchy. Let's see them do what Bleedman does.
He's not having a seizure, he's just roffling. • Behind every great woman, there is an ass. • Fuck Salt! - Tourette's guy

Location: Where am I? Home... without the internets. Need to call comcast, but too lazy.

Re: OUCH!!! Touchy! - Competitors are hatin' on the Doujinsh

Postby Christerray » Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:11 pm

I'm entertained. I just took a look at "girly", and it's not that interesting. Just another "life of" webcomic, like PvP and Penny Arcade (although they're not bad at all).

Girly isn't too original either, so I don't see their argument that PPGD is worse.

Another thing: The story is just begining. If you look at a lot of creations, mostly J. Axer work, the story jumped before everything began to pull together. Bleedman isn't even done introducing all the characters he'd like as heroes, so why should the main conflict be set yet? Sure, it is taking a little while, but during the whole Dee Dee scenario, I was at the edge of my seat...how did she die?

If you came on the forums during that time, people speculated different deaths, yet Bleedman still suprised us that Mandark was the cause. Most people (including me) thought she was terminal.

I know i'm jumping around as well, but i'm doing this on the fly. Bleedman isn't terribly good at English. The dialouge is rough because it's hard for him to write it. He'd probably be a hit in the philipines if he spoke the native language and could actually express 100% what he meant, but each week he must rely on different editors who could very well change the meaning of each sentance.

But still, I love this comic. I can't wait to see it to the end, and I still want to do my fan-comic of it...if only Oddette would show her face :P

Postby Dorian » Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:12 pm

This is kind of funny because I just read the Girly archive quite recently. I have to say that, as far as plot goes, neither comic is very plot heavy.

Girly seems to be more of a romance/relationship comic than humor, and PPGD tries to incorporate a bit of everything as well as action and humor.

In the end, as intriguing as a comic about cute lesbians is, it's just not interesting to read, whereas i've read, rather enjoyed and will continue to read PPGD, regardless that I don't like the shows it's based on or the decidedly stale plot. Of course maybe part of my enjoyment is not knowing these characters well. I have no nitpick with Gir or Zim or Dexter or you name it, because apart from seeing a handful of Dexter or PPG episodes, I don't know how any of these characters act, so it doesn't really register to me if they're acting somewhat out of character.

As far as humor comics go, nothing will ever beat Penny Arcade for me. My sense of humor is rather cynical and sarcastic. I don't really find anything funny but Penny Arcade is something that has, quite often, caused me to laugh out loud. I guess their humor mirrors my own, which is why I can understand why some people don't like it. However they really get credit from me, nothing else makes me laugh that hard, let alone laugh at all.
Last edited by Dorian on Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never asked for this

Postby Christerray » Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:16 pm

Dorian wrote:This is kind of funny because I just read the Girly archive quite recently. I have to say that, as far as plot goes, neither comic is very plot heavy.

Girly seems to be more of a romance/relationship comic than humor, and PPGD tries to incorporate a bit of everything as well as action and humor.

In the end, as intriguing as a comic about cute lesbians is, it's just not interesting to read, whereas i've read, rather enjoyed and will continue to read PPGD, regardless that I don't like the shows it's based on or the decidedly stale plot. Of course maybe part of my enjoyment is not knowing these characters well. I have no nitpick with Gir or Zim or Dexter or you name it, because apart from seeing a handful of Dexter or PPG episodes, I don't know how any of these characters act, so it doesn't really register to me if they're acting somewhat out of character.

Same. Most of the shows that are in the comic I have never seen, or have not seen in quite some time. I don't watch any of the shows regularly (like I used to as a kid), I follow the story because i'm intrigued on how the characters interact with one another from different worlds. And i'm interested in what will become of them.

And the fact that death is not unmentionable in this "childrens" story is also a plus. Anyone could die.

Postby A G.I.R Fan » Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:19 pm

....No, but seriusly.....I feel like Bleedmna's G.I.R is kinda..." Un G.I.R ish"

Doesn't feel like the good old G.I.R................but i must totally disagree with those "Girly" fans coments...they seem too....dunno...hurted?

Postby Christerray » Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:22 pm

Bleedman isn't roman dirge, or johnen vasquez. Of course it isn't going to be perfectly Gir. Samurai Jack is a school teacher, instead of hunting AKU to seek revenge. Dexter is actually violent and may of killed Mandark. Mandy makes friends with a bubbly goodie girl. Not the same characters, but it's all interpretation.

Do you really have a problem with how GIR is portrayed? I havn't even noticed any big change, other than he isn't hanging around Zim.

Postby Setuh » Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:24 pm

<I will try to avoid favorising PPGD>

come on, this PPG doujunshi (.. or fancomic idno) looks pretty damn professional.

response:Professional or not, it's crap. It's not entertaining at all, so I don't care how good it looks

This is definitly jelousity/fanboyism/hate created because another comic fell down on the scale. B-man has his pluses and minuses. His art is one of the best u can find, and I think that most of ppl would agree with me. His plot/conversation abilities could use some patching, but it's not like it's total crap dresses in prietty lines and colours. B-man just took a difficult storyline to follow, and has his ups and downs. Remember that we have really many characters from CN and Nick, which need to resemble those real at least a little<or if they are changed, he needs to stick to that personality> Adding the fact that there are many "main" characters dosen't make it easyer. And the whole "dee dee death" plotline is hard to make "acceptable"<relate this to a topic about dexter going crazy> As for me I think B-man should stop for a moment, and think about where is the place he is heading<in easyer words: he should make sure he has a overwiev of wht he wants to happen in the future>

P.S.
I know that people that are against PPGD will take my post as an attempt to defend B-man from his mistakes. But BELIEVE me, it was not my intention.
Where the path of logic ends, the fantasies come true...
Favourite quote: WAIT! MY BRAIN IS WORKING! - says Ed and throws Jimmys oven against the wall.

Postby Christerray » Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:31 pm

*shrug* to each his own, I suppose. I loved the whole "no one is safe" feeling Bleedman brought. Pleasantville was an excellent movie, because it wasn't afraid to take risks.

Postby A G.I.R Fan » Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:34 pm

WAIT A SEC.....

Bleedman ISN'T ROMAN DIRGE!!

YOU FOOLED ME !!!!!!

YOU ALL SHALL PAY !!!!!!! >.@ >.@ >.@ >.@ >.@

>.<

No, but seriously (i like using that word), I don't have a problem with that. "adaptation" of the "G.I.R" ...(unless it somehow affects my job or private life, wich i doubt)

Just don't like it.......

Postby Hasegawa Rayven » Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:42 pm

I didn't really find Gir to be that much changed.

But then again, I'm not the Die ultra hardcore GIR fan that some other people are. I think he's doing okay with this project. He's got enough to keep me coming back every Sunday obviously, and I have things Like Megatokyo and Penny arcade, and 8-Bit Theatre to distract me which come every other day.
Syaoran and Sakura "Meant to be"

Postby Jack Salem » Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:50 pm

o, but seriously (i like using that word), I don't have a problem with that. "adaptation" of the "G.I.R" ...(unless it somehow affects my job or private life, wich i doubt)

Just don't like it.......

Same here (BTW, Setuh you raised some good points 'n opinions. You weren't sounding fan-boy-ish at all).

The PPGD to Girly is like a good 10 whole units higher when it comes profesionalism. After reading a few of their (colorless) pages I can say that they have no room to talk. Doing this, especially for Bleedman must be a labor of love because from what I've gathered he has a much more demanding job. However, I've gotta give this guy credit as well. Let me tell you, making a comic and actually sticking with it is not easy at all. I respect efforts of both but I don't like the senseless bitching. If you don't like the comic then get on with your life.

As for the GIR thing, (I'm a hardcore Zim fan) it's not just GIR. Blossom has lost like all of her heroism and sheer "know-it-all" ness and has been replaced with 100% goody-goody japanese schoolgirlness. What ever happened to "Girls! Trouble! Move out!". As much 'off' as gir is, Blossom seems like an entirely different girl altogether. Not trying to diss-I'm just saying o.O .

Postby DragonShadow » Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:06 pm

Maybe if he had a writer to help him out...it'd blow people's minds.

Oh! Oh! Me! Me! I would LOVE to work on this project!

I have an almost unhealthy knowledge of just about every popular cartoon out there, I've seen at least a dozen episodes of every show incoporated into this thing, and the entire series of several (including PPG, Dexter, Zim) and have 10 years worth of fanwriting experience. Unfortunately the majority of my knowledge applies to Cartoon Network, as Nick shuffles their schedules too much for me to become a loyal follower of their stuff, but I've caught enough of the good ones (Fairly Oddparents, Danny Phantom, My Life as a Teenage Robot) to know how they work (I know Zim because I have the entire series on DVD).

As far as pertains to Girly, I didn't see that line as a reference to that comic at all. It just seemed like something a girl might use as a nickname for a cute dog named GIR. And I used to read Girly quite often, it was fairly interesting to me, but it was even more random and plot-jumpy than anything in this comic. And if you want REALLY random and plotless, go look up its prequal CuteWendy (I think that was its name). It's like watching Fooly Cooly... on crack.
DragonShadow's Fanfiction Worlds
Current Selection: Echoes of the Past (My Life as a Teenage Robot/The Powerpuff Girls)

Postby Fixen » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:18 pm

I think it's time for Marshmellow Kitty vs. Stupid Powerpuff Girls Fancomic.

Look who's talking. XD

The story isn't the syrupy sweet tripe most folks expect, which is probably what throws most folks off.

response: ...are you joking? It's exactly what I expect: unoriginal SHIT. And whatever idiot makes the comic must know next to nothing about Invader Zim to give GIR that horrible dialogue.

We spell it doujinshi. I believe your mind spelled it without the U. >=P

response:Professional or not, it's crap. It's not entertaining at all, so I don't care how good it looks.

Entertaining or not, yours is crap. It's not beautiful at all, because I don't care how funny it is.

Aww.. I like that doujinshi comic stuff. Even though the plot isn't all that amusing to me (the whole DeeDee thing... ick... who cares?)

You obviously didn't see the latest page.

Postby A G.I.R Fan » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:25 pm

I dont wanna get any "new " enemies by posting this, but out of curiosity i read girly................

Its not bad, in fact, is the only web comic in wich i ever saw a "Omelette Talking German"...........

but of course after " checking" the plot (well, yeah i love o use " ")

I think....umm......you cant even dare to compare this comics....and on a personal point of view...i think i'll stay with Bleedman's work.....

(Although a german talking Omelette is indeed intriguing)

Postby pri32 » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:37 pm

my only problem with the doujin is the WRITING. I mean, MY GOD! Fix the grammatical and spelling errors!

Added after 1 minutes:

DragonShadow wrote:
Maybe if he had a writer to help him out...it'd blow people's minds.

Oh! Oh! Me! Me! I would LOVE to work on this project!

I have an almost unhealthy knowledge of just about every popular cartoon out there, I've seen at least a dozen episodes of every show incoporated into this thing, and the entire series of several (including PPG, Dexter, Zim) and have 10 years worth of fanwriting experience. Unfortunately the majority of my knowledge applies to Cartoon Network, as Nick shuffles their schedules too much for me to become a loyal follower of their stuff, but I've caught enough of the good ones (Fairly Oddparents, Danny Phantom, My Life as a Teenage Robot) to know how they work (I know Zim because I have the entire series on DVD).

As far as pertains to Girly, I didn't see that line as a reference to that comic at all. It just seemed like something a girl might use as a nickname for a cute dog named GIR. And I used to read Girly quite often, it was fairly interesting to me, but it was even more random and plot-jumpy than anything in this comic. And if you want REALLY random and plotless, go look up its prequal CuteWendy (I think that was its name). It's like watching Fooly Cooly... on crack.

Wouldn't watching Fooly Cooly on crack make sense? ^_^

Postby Mandy » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:41 pm

Death to those who oppose the Doujinshi that is known as the PPG Doujinshi!

Yes, watching FLCL on crack would make tons of sense!

Postby PPGD Freak » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:42 pm

Well you have to consider, English isn't Bleedman's first language, and he's had editors fix the spelling and grammar for his pages since chapter 3.
Evil has a new face....

Postby Captain Spyro » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:51 pm

Before I start, let me just say that the PPG Doujinshi is my #2 comic on the net. #1 belongs to a comic called "Jack." ^_^

Anywho, I have no problem with how the story is progressing myself. In fact, besides the fact that this is a crossover, it's the story that caught my attention, no to mention the art. :shock:

I mean, just imagine if the shows had a bigger budget... :shock: lol
Bob: "So, what are you going to do now?"

Spyro: "I'd say the sky's the limit!"

Postby Dorian » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:57 pm

A G.I.R Fan wrote:Its not bad, in fact, is the only web comic in wich i ever saw a "Omelette Talking German"...........

All right, I admit the Omlette that spoke German amused me, too.
Never asked for this

Postby Jack Salem » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:57 pm

I dont wanna get any "new " enemies by posting this, but out of curiosity i read girly................

Don't be afraid to totally front Girly. I'm 98.99% sure none of those guys are even near these threads.

Postby PPGD Freak » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:58 pm

About the whole "Girly" thing, the Girly comic was the last thing on my mind when Bell said that.

Somebody mentioned that the Girly comic is nowhere near as good-looking as the PPGD. Well, every artist has his or her own drawing style, and as of now, the artist updates the comic on every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. He doesn't have much time to work on the pages.
Evil has a new face....

Postby griffa » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:13 pm

Someone may have pointed this out and I accidently read over it, but I would like to point out the "levels of difficulty" in both comics. In my opinion it is much harder to base a story off of characters with incredibly loyal fan bases than making up your own. I'm not saying that making a story is easy, but basing one off of fully formed characters is much more difficult.
" There is life outside your apartment. I know it’s hard to conceive.
But there’s life outside your apartment.
And you’re only gonna see it if you leave.
There is cool shit to do,
But it can’t come to you,
And who knows, dude
You might even score!
There is life outside your apartment.
But you gotta open the door!"
~Avenue Q

Postby Fixen » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:56 pm

Dakota Sanz wrote:Don't be afraid to totally front Girly. I'm 98.99% sure none of those guys are even near these threads.

Good. I was about to delete mine. XD

Anywho, I have no problem with how the story is progressing myself. In fact, besides the fact that this is a crossover, it's the story that caught my attention, no to mention the art.

The huge crossover throughout the realm of CN was what drew me in too. This certainly wasn't "Unoriginal SHIT."

Someone may have pointed this out and I accidently read over it, but I would like to point out the "levels of difficulty" in both comics. In my opinion it is much harder to base a story off of characters with incredibly loyal fan bases than making up your own. I'm not saying that making a story is easy, but basing one off of fully formed characters is much more difficult.

Mixed opinions. Some doujinshis turned out better than the original, but some stayed private and unheard.

Death to those who oppose the Doujinshi that is known as the PPG Doujinshi!

Yes, watching FLCL on crack would make tons of sense!

Go FLCL!!! Yeah...I watched the first two episodes...it's like I'm already on crack.

Postby Mandy » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:59 pm

I understood FLCL after watching an episode twice. It's freakishly addicting.

Next

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)