What are the Odds?

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

What are the Odds?

Postby Janana » Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:27 pm

I really like Bleedman's PPG fan comic but I think he should publish it after he's completed the series of course. ;) They could be in original manga format(Ya know right to left ;) ) and it could be publish by a popular manga company like Viz or Tokyo Pop. I also thought of an anime seires based on comics too. But are the odds of that happening? I mean people can look at it on the computer for free. And there's copyright problems too. What do you think?

Postby Eve » Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:30 pm

Japan is really ok with doujinshis, but I really haven't seen anything like them in the US. (If someone has, please correct me) It would be nice if it were possible, unfortunately I think the chances are quite slim. :(

Postby Aerozord » Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:34 pm

no he couldn't. Since he is using copyrighted characters publishing them as his own would be illegal.

PS how could you forget Shonen Jump

Postby Eve » Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:38 pm

It's not a doujinshi, it's manga. In Japan, it's ok to do fan-based comics like this, but there's nothing like that in the US.

Sorry, just had to clarify myself there.

Postby perper » Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:38 pm

I have to agree that the chances are slim. Copyright laws are killer. However, if CN and Nick agreed (another idealistic but unrealistic possibility) and saw it as profitable then I think it could work. As for looking on the netfor free, that never seems to put a dent in sales. Megatokyo is free to the public but the book sales skyrocket everytime a new volume is put out. Plus other online comics (i.e. Machall, RPG World, etc.) sell books as well and there appears to be a sizable demand.
"...and one day we no longer let time serve us, we serve time and we are slaves of the schedule, worshippers of the sun's passing bound to a life predicatated on restrictions because the system will not function if we don't keep the schedule tight."
-'"Repent, Harlequin!" Said the TickTockman' by Harlan Ellison

Re: What are the Odds?

Postby Aresz-kun » Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:42 pm

The chances are almost zero if you are talking about the US...

In Japan it might be possible but I wouldn t bet on it....

However I hardly think bleedman would be unable to do something original if he had to... ^_^
"I hate this job"

Postby Al Calnos » Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:59 pm

Well the dude is from the Philipnese so... ah my word is probly worse than anyone's else... leaving now...

Postby Eve » Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:03 pm

No, that is a good point. Closer to Japan than most of us here... I think.

Postby Fukaji » Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:31 pm

Hm, even if it were online and I could read it for free, should the oportunity come to buy the comic in printed/book form, I would! *hugs her copy of RPG World: Disk One* Hee! But the likelyhood of it being published, sadly, are very slim indeed. :(
~ I am the one your parents warned you of. ~

Postby Bored guy » Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:32 pm

Actually it would be alot easier IMO to get rid of all the nick characters and use simply the CN ones and sell it to them.
As much as I Love Zim, there haven't been any nick characters that can be replaced with some other made up thing with much difficulty.
IMO thats the only way it'll hit CN, its if they find it profitable.
Twinkies are resistant to fire, collisions, and mental insanity.
Fear the Twinkie.......It will DESTROY YOU!!!

>_> <_<

What?

Postby Dave » Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:56 pm

I'd say the odds are zero. One, as said before it's CN AND Nick and that's bad but Bored guy had a good point of replace the Nick Characters and go all CN is a possibility. But even then there are different creators for each CN show so it's still getting multiple people to say "ok" and that's not going to happen. Japan is a possiblity but that doesn't help any of us anyways. And couple that with Bleedman doesn't want to sell it and the odds go to ZERO.
WiNg0o wrote:To be honest I thought Dave just existed. In the beginning there was Dave.
Administrator

Postby Bored guy » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:11 pm

I'd say the odds are zero. One, as said before it's CN AND Nick and that's bad but Bored guy had a good point of replace the Nick Characters and go all CN is a possibility. But even then there are different creators for each CN show so it's still getting multiple people to say "ok" and that's not going to happen. Japan is a possiblity but that doesn't help any of us anyways. And couple that with Bleedman doesn't want to sell it and the odds go to ZERO.

If Bleedman didn't want to sell than you're right about the odds being zero.

I will be a little sad that the only people who will see it will be it internet geeks and there friends but alas.
Twinkies are resistant to fire, collisions, and mental insanity.
Fear the Twinkie.......It will DESTROY YOU!!!

>_> <_<

What?

Postby Karuma » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:48 pm

All we do is get the execs drunk and have them sign a waiver.

Postby chi » Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:22 pm

Manga wise, it could happen. I mean, weirder things have happened. There always remains a possibility that he himself could be approached by the copyright holders. they do like their money after all. There would just be royalty issues, and the net version would have to be taken down.

Rawk on to those of us that got to live it in it's glory days
.:no apparent reason:.

Postby Janana » Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:35 pm

IMO I don't think it would happen. But it would be cool if it did. ^_^

Postby chi » Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:38 pm

Oh, I doubt it would happen either. i'm just saying that it could

Postby Aresz-kun » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:15 am

All in all the only leagally acceptable version would be if CN and Nick would both agree and ask some independent publishing company with both of their approaval. Then however they would take most of the profits.

However I rally cannot imagine that happening considering that CN and Nick are in a very harsh competition on the cartoon market, it would be horrifing when it comes to copyright matters and money which will have to be paid to everyone....

I think all that trouble would be more than the benefits they might gain on this if they would go and publish it after all...
"I hate this job"

Postby chessiejo » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:07 pm

i would like to see this most excellent series used to develop a new supportive cast of characters, not based on any others.

then when the fan base gets built up there could be a real manga spinoff, but without the nickelodeon characters.

i would love to see (and buy) that!

Postby Mandy » Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:05 pm

It would perfect as a manga. I accidentally started reading it as a manga ^_^;;

Postby Saishu_Heiki » Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:32 pm

Japan works fast and loose with copyright laws... this is why doujinshi works in Japan.

America, on the other hand, has enough copyright laws on the books to fill the Superdome. Doujinshi would be seen an unlawful competetor to their intellectual property and would be sued seven ways from Sunday.

This odd combo is why Disney had such a hard time breaking into Japan. Fans would make doujinshi / inde art / ect and Disney would pursue legal action. It was quite the mess.

CN and Nick are not going to allow an exception to the "its our license, you can't touch it" mentality. To them, it would seem a dangerous precadent to make.
Saishu Heiki
Kyuden Ryu Interviewer - RFFR Librarian - Ricepaper Wordsmith

Postby Verec » Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:08 pm

Hell all American companies are fircely defensive of thier copyrights an 'intelectual property"*ptooy ptooy*. The Fair use provisions of the Copyright lwas are quite specific on the fact that so long as the work is Non-Profit it is legal. If you make so much as one penny of of it, you can be sued seven ways from Sunday. How this would work with a filipino I don't know...
"I saw it, there, in the sewers...for just a second. All hunched over, skin pale white beneath those rags...so many rags. The vermin crawled about his feet like idolaters at worship, and I swear that the wind drew breath in a frightened gasp at his passing. He wore cold like a cloak and I swear that behind that smiling golden mask he was laughing at me as his curved blade rose and fell, cutting through my men. It left wounds filled with crystals of salt...the screams...the screams...and the pants....Gods! The Pants!!!"
-Captain Urtin, who salted and ate his former soldiers.
"Jar-Jar you're a genius!"

Postby Mandy » Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:40 am

America sucks when it comes to liberal arts. Go Japan.

Postby chi » Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:29 am

yeah, American royalties would rather defeat the purpose if Bleedman was hoping to make some money... For shame.

Postby Karuma » Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:55 am

Hmm, but then again, all we gotta do is present CN and Nick with the greatest truth of Doujinshi:

Popularity grows faster as a result.

Plus, lets just do a bit of math...

The storyline is 100% Bleedman's.
Some characters are originals from Bleedman.

Also, the "borrowed" characters are not exactly the same as the originals. They are better. You know, this probably could be deemed legal as an innovation... if we get some good lawyers.

Is anyone here a copyrights lawyer?

Addition-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think there may be an easy way to get CN to notice it, somebody wanna try to get the site shown on an Adult Swim Thursday Night Viewer Card?

Postby PhoenixPhyre » Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:37 pm

Actually Id buy it if it was actually published. But that as said alot of times before is a slim chance.

The only way for it to get published as such is if both CN and Nick decided to take a gamble at what it might do for both. But I thin it would be best to leave it as it is because once published, boht companies may want to alter the story here and htere which could really ruin it.
:D

Next

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)