My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:13 am

I'm just going to point out, what I think, are the some external factors that helped make FiM be this viral.

*Lauren's direction for the show
*4chan denizens going crazy with it and the inevitable banning of the MLP flood, causing those people to migrate or create their own sites (i.e. derpibooru, MLPchan, Equestria Daily or Everfree Network)
*The unexpected relationship between fandom and staff. (see staff twitters or Lauren visiting 4chan)
*Tara Strong (need I explain more?)
*John De Lancie supporting the fandom
*Gabe Newell likes ponies
*Redban liking ponies. (unconfirmed)
*The BBC special on bronies and other documentaries
*Very talented artists making high quality (they should have been paid for this) artworks.
*MLP songs were very fun and catchy that inspired musicians do covers or remixes. (Thanks, Ingram & co.)
*The large number of indies making MLP shorts or games (2D or SFM; some are very show-accurate that probably freaked Hasbro out).
*Equestrian Lore is very ambiguous and mysterious. There is very little information about the world of Equestria that urged of the fandom into world building.

From what I can tell, there is this pent up urge for creativity all those years prior to the show. I'm guessing not all cartoons back 2009-10 weren't that inspiring to make fan content with. FiM happened to be in the right time to open that floodgate. Then aritsts feed off each other's work that progressed into "big-time" fan-animated films or short funny collabs. The warm friendly vibe the FiM fandom puts out helped a lot with that, I think. What a marvelous sight, ain't it?
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby Dibullba » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:03 am

To put it in simpler terms. The reason MLP got so popular to the extent it is now is because of the internet in general. From a negative review to people questioning why they are liking this show to finally the boom that is the Brony fandom, would not have been possible without the influence internet has. Closest thing to this without the internet was probably back with The Animaniacs having a grown up fandom though not nearly the size of the Brony fandom today. If internet was more prevalent back then, I am sure the grown up fans for that show would have been more recognizable.

Postby ULTRADJ » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:34 pm

Let's not forget the MLP comics, since they are getting very popular as well which feeds the fandom of growing bigger. I think the comic sales are pretty reasonable, meaning somewhat big, to be popular. It's also its own series kinda, as it's stated the comic and show aren't related, so the comics also have room to explore the lore and expand on some characters kinda like the show, but I think the main comic focuses on more adventurous tales, while the side series such as the Micro Series and Friends Forever handles the Slice-of-Life aspects for the characters, so the main series can have more action and adventure while the having another side comic for the slice of life. (Plus, they make more money that way XD)
Just Rockin

Postby dj1107 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:20 pm

Speaking of comics

Postby Mad-Mutt » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:56 pm

These are some of my favorite types of Vinyl and Octavia pictures.
Even though they have very different tastes in music, their passion for it is what brings them together.

Bark

Postby ari-6 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:50 pm

It just occurred to me but awhile ago (Shortly before MLP happened) I was at a TF can which was holding a auction for charity. One of the things being sold was a portrait of Tara Strong that was sold for £200. I am willing to bet it is probably worth allot more now.
Some people shouldn't have an imagination. They just abuse it.
Im Making This Up As I Go

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:10 am

Notes

1.First paraplegic pony in the series (lamp stall owner), I think. Hopefully, this won't elicit the same level of parental flak Derpy Did

2. Another Greek Mythical creature (to save the lookup, Orthrus was Ceberus's two headed littermate8. He belonged to the monster Geryon, owner of a herd of magnificent red cattle. Obtaining these cattle was Hercules's Tenth Labor.

3. Evidently Equestria has a Japan as well (the green thing one of the ponies tried to offer Twilight for her books looks like a ponified Daruma doll)

* in most versions. Orthrus was one of the spawn of Typhon and Echina, the "mother of monsters" (since nearly all of the Ancient Greek mosters were her children) Echidna is also Cerberus's mother. Most writers say Typron was Cerberus's father as well, which would make Orthus his brother (and only other caniform one) However in the version written by Hesiod, Orthus mated with Echidna (his mother) himself, and HE sires Cerberus (along with the Nemean Lion. The Sphinx and the Learnian Hydra)   
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby Dibullba » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:28 am

Why must Alfa tease me so D=

Also something that blew my mind. Feel free to watch the whole thing cause it is awesome, but listen carefully at 1:30 onwards.

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:52 pm

... Holy shit, it is.
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist

Postby Grieffon » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:38 pm

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:15 pm

Just watched the new episode.

And dammit Mon-K, I'm the only one around here who gets to geek out about mythological creatures. Nah, I'm kidding buddy. Orthros is one of those things I didn't actually expect to see in this, but its still pretty cool. I would have kind of liked a more cooler design, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't think that slobbering over sized freak of nature was kind of cute.

I like episodes like these where the characters are all divided up into their own story lines, even though Dash and Shy seemed to take up the majority of the whole thing, it was practically a Dash and Shy episode, but I don't mind because as I've said before Dash is my favorite character. I could sort of see why Dash didn't hear most of the stuff Fluttershy said, because the girl is about as quiet as a mouse, but she usually notices a whole lot while flying. I guess she's usually an info sponge as long as you don't dangle something she really wants just out of her reach. It was kind of a fun story anyways.

I also liked the environment of the trade fair, it had this giant flee market feel to it and it was just so interesting to see all the stuff the ponies wanted to trade for.   

Also I told you all this might be a thing    Discord lamps. Discord worshiping pony cult confirmed. I'm kidding again, but would I ever love to see a Discord worshiping pony cult.

Discord would be into the idea, right up until they tried to sacrifice a goat to him. Then he'd be all like, "Hey, Twilight, shit's getting to real for me here."   

Also:

Dibullba wrote:Why must Alfa tease me so D=

Gah! Buck! That was cute.
Bark

Postby BeeAre » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:17 pm

Interesting episode. Enjoyed Pinkie Barker.

Discord getting exactly what he wants and finding out it sucks seems like a neat-ass episode, given that the standard procedure for Discord is him saying something like "lol i know exactly what is going to happen and i totally won't be surprised irrespective of basically everything but the tiniest part of a detail that shifts literally everything about the event"

Goaty McChaosQ getting a "fan-club" that overzealously applies chaos to their lives in an inefficient and ultimately predictable way would be a ground-breaking thing in a kids' show, I think. Their "brand" of chaos being ultimately lacking in chaos would make Discord be very descriptive as to what "real" chaos was to him, which would be a tremendous insight into the character, and a big philosophical statement on the nature of chaos and order. Mmm yes, very grood. Subplot for the Prank War. *Notate*
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
最後の撃は。。。切ない。Puff Most Epic.
Ladies and Gentlemen, The:
BR

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:29 pm

Mad-Mutt wrote:   I like episodes like these where the characters are all divided up into their own story lines, even though Dash and Shy seemed to take up the majority of the whole thing, it was practically a Dash and Shy episode, but I don't mind because as I've said before Dash is my favorite character. I could sort of see why Dash didn't hear most of the stuff Fluttershy said, because the girl is about as quiet as a mouse, but she usually notices a whole lot while flying. I guess she's usually an info sponge as long as you don't dangle something she really wants just out of her reach. It was kind of a fun story anyways.   

The AJ/Rarity line was also amusing, especially by the second half. Reminded me of My pet caterpillars Alfonse and Gaston from last summer (called so because they kept falling off thier plant trying to get out of each other's way.)   

Mad-Mutt wrote:   I also liked the environment of the trade fair, it had this giant flea market feel to it and it was just so interesting to see all the stuff the ponies wanted to trade for.   

I half expected Pipsquek to show up and start singing "Ponybella Road" (movie refernce,   
Last edited by Hiroko on Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed the broken spoiler and quote tags. You really ought to be more careful with this.
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby Harumii » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:56 pm

i liked this episode, the 3 divided stories were nice
Pinkie Pie trying to up the value of Twilight's books made me cringe, like c'mon Pinkie you should know better
it was like she was trying to scam people but luckily in the end she noticed she up'd the value too much
and i've definitely been in Rarity and Applejack's position where you both want to be the bigger friend
you end up both wanting to do the right thing and then nothing gets done
the fact that they think about eachother first was the problem and the solution, i liked that
and finally, Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash
i feel like i've seen the whole trade for this for this for this for this thing and it's always funny

the characters we saw in this episode were fun too
the Daring Do stand owner had a way about her i really liked
and the Discord Lamp stand owner had an almost steampunk looking wheel support, at least to me it looked that way
also it seems that the ponies designs are getting more unique
it makes them more memorable

the trade fair reminded me of when i was young and my mom would take me to the flea market with her
i'd always become so fascinated with all the different things they had, i always wanted something when we went   
Art // Literature // Tumblr // Dreadful Comics
Alopunk - Haru, you are 200% a cutie patootie
Tuor - Black lipstick must be messy
Yog - Stay strong, Haru
Is still watching you

Postby Dibullba » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:34 pm

Think the only thing I really liked about this episode was Fluttershy in general. She gives so much that it pains me when she get's taken for granted so easily by those closest to her.

Postby ari-6 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:10 pm

Whenever a new episode comes out, I always read what people had to say about it here before I decide how important it is to watch. Sometimes it is how someone describes it. Or sometimes it is because someone mentions a certain character, like that episode with Luna. This time I read the word Discord, and immediately jumped into it. A little dissapointed he didn't show but it was still a very good episode with three morals for the price of one.

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:08 pm

Mon-Kitsune wrote:Notes

First paraplegic pony in the series (lamp stall owner), I think. Hopefully, this won't elicit the same level of parental flak Derpy Did.

Actually I think that title goes to Jinx here.
That's what they've been calling her.

She was in Ep 20 I think.

While I'm at it...

JINX ART BOMB!!

Bark

Postby Grieffon » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:21 pm

I'm afraid I have to put "Trade Ya" as a candidate for S4's worst episode.

Dash almost sold Fluttershy into involuntary servitude, Pinkie scaring away a kid, AJ and Rarity being selfish and petty with each other? They are better than that. They are a lot better. This episode managed to screw up two-third of the mane casts in a few moments.

Also, Pinkie talked Twilight into becoming a hoarder.Dash taking a rusty horseshoe to trade makes no sense. And there's just too many cliches in this one episode.   

Postby ari-6 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:47 pm

I disagree. There have been much worse episodes in this season

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:09 pm

So she is. Guess i lost her amost are the other crippled caballos in that eppie.

While I think of it (since you've broken spoiler) I suppose I can to (it's minor anyway))
But maybe that second trade offered really was a cruddy one. My memory isn't faulty, but if that green thing WAS a Daruma doll, aren't those things supposed to have blank eyes when you buy them (you buy it make a wish, paint one eye in, and then you paint the other one in when the wish comes true.) That doll had two eyes, so doesn't that technically mean it was already used up?

Postby BeeAre » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:50 am

Grieffon wrote:I'm afraid I have to put "Trade Ya" as a candidate for S4's worst episode.

Dash almost sold Fluttershy into involuntary servitude, Pinkie scaring away a kid, AJ and Rarity being selfish and petty with each other? They are better than that. They are a lot better. This episode managed to screw up two-third of the mane casts in a few moments.

Also, Pinkie talked Twilight into becoming a hoarder.Dash taking a rusty horseshoe to trade makes no sense. And there's just too many cliches in this one episode.   

I will speak vaguely enough that I feel spoiler tags are not warranted, but a warning to people who can infer plot-points from tone alone.

I find your reasoning fuzzy. Characters are better for being complicated enough to make mistakes. When they are not at their best, the support structure they provide for one another makes up for the issue.

The issue is as to whether or not the presentation of the mistake is reasonable--and given that everyone was excited to be there and experience something touted as very seriously outside their normative experience, I find the reasoning behind all their near-catastrophe precisely satisfying.

It's more irritating - to me - to have lots of CMC episodes where there is very little in the way of multiple stories. Most of their episodes are among the more boring ones, imho, which is why this episode is rather far from worst this season, to me at least.

Yes, this episode has procedural pangs to it, but the procedure was handled competently.

As to specifics, Pinkie's intent might have been fudged, but it also spoke to the resolution of her little plot-string that it ended with the recognition she was interested in all along.

AJ and Rarity will never stop dueling. Seeing this variation on the subject is quite fun, personally.

Fluttershy is not being stepped on inconsiderately by her friends this late in the overall story that involves the group working together as a group. She is cognizantly doing precisely what she feels would be the most reasonable solution, and that often puts her own well-being at a loss. Thus it is up to the rest of her friends to manage her against her own love of support when she herself does not.

Sure, she was close, this episode, but do you really think the whole group would have just let the issue she had go once it was explained to them? We've had plenty of times where things happen offscreen that are bad decisions that the group decides to try and shift for what they perceive as a benefit for a friend. The Last Roundup, for example.
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
最後の撃は。。。切ない。Puff Most Epic.
Ladies and Gentlemen, The:
BR

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:55 am

Happy Easter, people!

"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby Blood Lord » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:04 pm

Those are awesome, KM. Is Twilight looking at a Zerg egg?
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:14 pm

That's a Digi-egg Pinkie has. Now how did she get a hold of that...
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist

Postby Hiroko » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:15 pm

Really neat, Kusang. c:

Anyway, Happy Easter, everyone! And coinciding with Easter, it is the 20th of the month. A reminder to those participating, it's once again time for Safe Search Wrap-Up.
The Sentimental One

PreviousNext

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)