Recommend me an Anime. (READ THE OP FIRST)

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Recommend me an Anime. (READ THE OP FIRST)

Postby Wulfespinndel » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:22 am

This is a special request because these days, there as been an unfortunate amount cute girls and moe influence among present day manga and anime. What kind of anime I'm requesting should NOT have the following. These restrictions are based on the impact of today and last decade's anime, nd because of this, I've also become quite picky.'

MAKE SURE TO LOOK AT THE ANIME LIST BELOW BEFORE YOU RECOMMEND ANYTHING.

EDIT: Supernatural/Fantasy Anime restriction lifted.

------------------------
Requests:
- Good plot
- Great Characterization
- Badass characters
- Uncommon, original ideas no one's ever though of in an anime
- Little Comedy. It's great to have a laugh, but the anime's I've seen so far have quite an amount.
- Little to no Slice of Life. Keep it minimal, but I welcome some, just not too much.
- Action Anime is great, but it doesn't have to be
- Anything with ideological, philosophical, political, or psychological perspectives If there is any.

Restrictions:
- NO CUTE GIRLS. (I'm damn serious. I've had enough of seem them all around me. And I like real women too.)
- No anime that has anything erotic of any kind. Sort of a follow up to no cute girls. I want to watch something I won't get in trouble with as well as something that won't drive me crazy-go-nuts.

- Also, don't look at me like I've never heard of:

009-1,
A Certain Magical Index
Air,
AKB0048,
Afro Samurai,
Akira,
Angel Beats,
Azumanga Daioh,
BTOOOM!,
Baccano,
Bakemonogatari,
Berserk,
Black Butler,
Black Lagoon,
Black Rock Shooter,
Bleach,
Blood+ or Blood-C,
Casshern Sins,
Cat's Eye,
Chaos;Head,
Clannad,
Claymore,
Claymore,
Cobra,
Code Geass,
Cowboy Bebop,
Cromartie High School,
Cutie Honey,
Cyborg 009,
D. Gray Man,
Darker than Black,
Death Note,
Desert Punk,
Dr. Slump,
Dragonball,
Durarara!!!,
Eden of the East,
Ef - A Tale of Memories,
Elven Lied,
Ergo Proxy,
Escaflowne,
Eureka 7,
Excel Saga,
Fairy Tail,
Fairy Tail,
Fate/Zero,
Fist of the North Star,
Fooly Cooly,
Fruits Basket,
Full Metal Panic,
Fullmetal Alchemist,
Galaxy Express 999,
Gantz,
Ghost in the Shell,
Gintama,
Gokusen,
Golden Boy,
Great Teacher Onizuka,
Gundam,
Gungrave,
Gunslinger Girl,
Gurren Lagann,
Guyver,
H2O,
Haiyore! Nyaruko-san
.hack series,
Hana Yori Dango,
Hellsing,
Hetalia,
Honey and Clover,
Hunter X Hunter,
IDOLM@STER,
Ichigo/Strawberry %100,
Ika Musume,
Initial D,
Inuyasha,
Jormungand,
Junjo Romantica,
K-ON,
Kaicho wa Maid-sama!,
Kanon,
Kekkaishi,
Lucky Star,
Lupin III,
Macross,
Mirai Nikki,
Moribito,
Nana (great anime),
Naruto,
Negima,
Neon Genesis Evangelion,
Nichijou,
Nisenmonogatari,
One Piece,
Outlaw Star,
Panty and Stocking,
Paradise Kiss,
Persona,
Pretty Cure,
Puella Magi Madoka Magica,
Queen's Blade,
Ranma 1/2,
Robotech,
Robotics;Notes,
Romeo X Juliet,
S-Cry-Ed (I love that anime, very much)
Sailor Moon,
Saiyuki
Samurai 7,
Samurai Champloo,
Shuffle,
Skip Beat,
Slam Dunk,
Soul Eater,
Space Battleship Yamato,
Spice and Wolf,
Steins;Gate,
Sword Art Online,
Tekkaman,
Tenchi Muyo,
The Big O,
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya,
Tiger and Bunny,
To Love-Ru and To-Love-Ru Darkness (CENSOR MASSACRE LOL),
Tokko,
Toradora,
Trigun,
Trinity Blood,
Tsubasa Chronicles,
Welcome to the NHK,
Wolf's Rain,
X/1999,
xxxHolic,
Yu Yu Hakusho,
Zatch Bell

I made this list because whenever I ask this question I would usually get the same old answers. I'll also let you know what I've watched already too. Some of this stuff at the top are some I've watched completely too. The most recent anime series I've finished watching was known as Mobile Police Patlabor.

I'm really sorry If I have to be this way. I'm just tired of what anime has become. There are times where I really don't feel like watching much anymore because of this out of a loss of faith.
Last edited by Wulfespinndel on Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Water does not resist. Water flows. When you plunge your hand into it, all you feel is a caress. Water is
not a solid wall, it will not stop you. But water always goes where it wants to go, and nothing in the end
can stand against it. Water is patient. Dripping water wears away a stone. Remember that, my child.
Remember you are half water. If you can't go through an obstacle, go around it. Water does.
This too shall pass.

Re: Recommend me an Anime. (READ THE OP FIRST)

Postby Saint Soul » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:06 am

Good luck then.
"Small muscles, big brain, the heart of a lion."
—Anthony DiNozzo on Timothy McGee
User formaly known as Soulchild

Postby Grieffon » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:22 am

Go with old anime then. Try Rurouni Kenshin/Samurai X.

Do you watch anime movies as well?

Postby Blood Lord » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:27 am

Stufflikehearts - He is a Sith Lord. I love Blood Lord :3
Jeffffey - Blood, you look at the information someone says, look over what really happened, and reply in a way that makes them realize what they were really thinking.
Light10s - Blood Lord! Your avatars are becoming more epic. You make me feel like getting on all fours and submitting my loyalty and obedience to you.
Fievel - Numerous campaigns and conquests, countless bodies decaying after the abandonment of victorious battlefields. Such is the life of Blood Lord.
Dusk_Imp - Blood Lord is like a celebrity here. Everything he does is pure awesome. ALL HAIL BLOOD LORD
Doctress Who - Why couldn't there be a Blood Lord in every forum? It would make life so much easier.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Dibullba » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:28 am

Two animes I can recommend at this point just thinking about it:
1. Paranoia Agent
2. Another

Would have also suggested Btooom! since it fits your limitations perfectly, but it would seem you already know about it.

Edit: Also probably a redundant suggestion, but Detective Conan is a good anime in terms of plot and good writing. If anything the movies are always good for boredom.
Last edited by Dibullba on Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Saint Soul » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:35 am

i'd recomend Narutaru.
"Small muscles, big brain, the heart of a lion."
—Anthony DiNozzo on Timothy McGee
User formaly known as Soulchild

Postby Wulfespinndel » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:14 am

Blood Lord wrote:Go here instead: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=44996

Oh gosh, that's a ton of pages. Don't wanna read any spoilers, but I want to know about some of the animes that you guys were talking about in the thread. There's a whole ton of shows out there, but it's hard to choose from sometimes.

I'm not quite interested in Paranoia Agent to be honest, but I've never heard of Another though...horror...interesting. Never thought about that genre.

---------
That's a crazy premise for Another.

I also didn't want to ask for old anime because I wasn't sure of how much you guys know. Also, has any of you watched the live action Rurouni Kenshin movie yet?

EDIT: I'm going to start taking a look into light novels that have been adapted into anime. Until then though, I probably would need more recommendations despite the popularity of a novel's adaptation into anime.
Water does not resist. Water flows. When you plunge your hand into it, all you feel is a caress. Water is
not a solid wall, it will not stop you. But water always goes where it wants to go, and nothing in the end
can stand against it. Water is patient. Dripping water wears away a stone. Remember that, my child.
Remember you are half water. If you can't go through an obstacle, go around it. Water does.
This too shall pass.

Postby Dibullba » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:27 am

Not particularly my specialty in knowing light novel's that transcend to anime. Think the only one I know well is Princess Tutu which has a magnificent ending, but the beginning may turn you away without the patience to watch each episode.

Postby Collider » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:58 am

- Serial Experiments Lain

A true masterpiece. Satisfies requests 1, 2, 4, 5, 6 and 8 nicely. It's quite philosophical and the plot is very difficult to disentangle completely at a first watching. Contains lots of references to various sources, from Marcel Proust to Cordwainer Smith.

- Haibane Renmei (Charcoal Feather Federation)

Sure, it is a Slice of Life anime in a sense, but you will most certainly find it to be completely different from anything you have seen before. Very slow-paced and profound, and probably not for everybody, but it is definitely worth a try.

- Boogiepop Phantom

Pretty much fits all requests. I should, however, warn you that this is an entry in a much larger series, and the puzzle-like plot is very difficult to comprehend without having read the "Boogiepop and Others" and "Boogiepop at Dawn" novels first. The latter only exists in book form, but the former has been adapted into a manga titled "Boogiepop Doesn't Laugh". There's also a movie version of "Others", but it is so ridiculously bad that I will refrain form recommending it.
Gaze into nothingness and despair!

Postby Marquis de Soth » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:38 pm

I would recommend that you go to the earlier linked thread or you might find more help at the Weirdness Thread in the RP forum. There are several members there who are avid watchers of anime and you might get a more comprehensive response from them.

I'll leave this thread unlocked for now since there is no reason why we can't have a general anime thread in this subforum as well.
Marquis de Soth

Postby Wulfespinndel » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:10 pm

Marquis de Soth wrote:I'll leave this thread unlocked for now since there is no reason why we can't have a general anime thread in this subforum as well.

It's mainly personal to be honest. I've been driven mad by how overexposed some of the anime I've listed are as well as how many I know and their genre's. I believe that in order for some of us to get more out of watching anime, we need some variety in the anime we watch.

Oh, and Collider, I find it hard to believe those shows are that ancient. Definitely might give them a chance. And please guys, keep this going as much as you can. I hope that we can bring more attention to anime that aren't well known as others and old school anime as well. For me, this thread is starting to turn out to be something of unique quality. At least I hope so.
This too shall pass.

Postby Dibullba » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:06 pm

Well this part of the forum did have a anime thread before. Listed like 25 of my favorite animes excluding Dragonball cause who doesnt know what Dragonball is.

If we are talking anime that is not very well known, but is a good watch. Taking from the 25, I can add 5 more animes as a recommendation though these are not particularly action animes. I will put them in order of more fitting to set standard to less fitting though still worth a look.

1. Fractale
2. World God Only Knows (is actually more well known than these others)
3. Kaleido Star
4. Shinryaku Ika Musume
5. Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu

Postby Mir@k » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:27 am

If you're up for something different and beautiful, try Mononoke.

Mononoke follows a wandering, nameless character known only as the "Medicine Seller" (voiced by Takahiro Sakurai). The series is made up of individual chapters in which the medicine seller encounters, combats and subsequently destroys various mononoke. The "mononoke" are a type of ayakashi, unnatural spirits that linger in the human world.

The Medicine Seller always proceeds in the same manner, using his knowledge of the supernatural to fend off the mononoke until he can learn the spirit's shape (Katachi), truth (Makoto) and reasoning (Kotowari). Only then can he unsheathe his sword and exorcise the demon.

The English subtitles translate these three necessities as Form, Truth, and Regret.
It is a horror anime, but the art style is different to anything i've seen, as it uses styles similar to those of feudal japan's paintings and stuff.

Just see the opening or a piece of the first episode and decide if you like it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKd_5vwx ... re=related

It picks up the pace slowly, but when it does, the action is great.
Best thing is that it is short (12 wonderful motherfucking episodes), so it doesn't fuck up.

DOWNLOAD IT IN HD, YOU'LL MISS THE BEAUTIFUL DETAILS OF THE PATTERNS FOUND EVERYWHERE!

Ah, and don't worry, not all episodes are as cringe-inducing as the first. (You'll see ;) )
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Wulfespinndel » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:44 pm

That anime looks epic Mir@k. The pace reminds me of Casshern Sins, and that wasn't a big deal. I finished that anime last night.

Another is also 12 episodes. I'd like to ask for a moment, what's the ideal length of anime to you guys?
This too shall pass.

Postby Dibullba » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:06 am

A healthy balance of seasonal animes and two or three long running animes. The long running animes help to make sure that if no good short animes are out during a season, you at least have something to watch. As for the short animes, minimum of two per day that way a better anime does not outshine a decent anime to the point of it being boring, though this is usually not too much of an issue.

Postby Grivous » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:29 am

I would suggest The Lost Canvas, but you don't wanna Fantasy Animes or with too much Slice of Life. But there are Badass Characters, Great Characterization and lots of action(and some comedy). The manga/anime is known as the most hardcore version of Saint Seiya.

Grieffon wrote:Go with old anime then. Try Rurouni Kenshin/Samurai X.

I recommend that. Old but it's very nice.

Grivous.
Grivous

Postby Collider » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:31 pm

Let me tell you, that anime Mirak recommended is simply awesome - it's been too long since I last saw something so jaw-droppingly gorgeous.

Looking into the director, I also ended up discovering quite a few fantastic series - I'd especially recommend two beautiful gems, "Trapeze" and "C - The Money And Soul Of Possibility". I haven't finished either of them yet, mind you, but what I've already watched was amazing - and, if the quality of Mononoke is anything to go by, I doubt they will disappoint me in the end.

EDIT: As it turns out, "C" was actually a huge disappointment. I am still not done with Trapeze yet, though.
Last edited by Collider on Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Hiroko » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:12 pm

It doesn't look like you've listed Now and Then, Here and There, so...I guess there's that?
Admittedly, I don't know much about it--I haven't even seen the anime myself. But I've heard people say it's good--and heartrending. Something about dystopia and consequences of war, I believe?
The Sentimental One

Postby Wulfespinndel » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:33 am

Hey guys, so far, I've finished Another (wonderful anime, sad OVA), and I'm currently in the process of finishing the last 3 episodes of GunBuster. As always, let me know If you guys know anything else apart from the anime's I've listed. There are many wonderful, interesting, epic and unique recommendations here and I'm thrilled to be able to watch something new to my tastes.

As for Another, I was thrilled after finishing it because of the twists in the anime that I did not expect. When I watched the last episode, I was in for a shock because there were so many factors in the anime that could have affected the students but I found some of it to be hidden to the characters' knowledge, including myself. As soon as I finish Gunbuster, I'll move on to Mononoke.

I once considered watching Saint Seiya but I wasn't able to find any subs at the time. I'll try to find some subs again, but Lost Canvas looks like a good start considering it's a prequel.
---------------
Actually, it's still ongoing so I'll watch the original series.
This too shall pass.

Postby Dibullba » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:51 am

Yeah, I really tried to use my detective skills to determine who it was in Another. I was so sure in that one kid, but my god what a freakin twist that was.

Postby Collider » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:44 pm

Rosso Rose wrote: I'll move on to Mononoke.

If you can spare the time, I would recommend taking a look at Ayakashi: Samurai Horror Tales before jumping into Mononoke. As it turns out, the latter is a spin-off of the former; more specifically, Mononoke is a continuation of sorts of Ayakashi's last tale (the series is an anthology). In my opinion, the aforementioned narrative is one of the best stories featuring the medicine peddler, despite the fact that Ayakashi as a whole is not that good.

Postby Grivous » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:49 am

@Rosso Rose: You can watch the episodes online with subs in english here: http://www.animefreak.tv/watch/saint-se ... vas-online

Roll the scroll page, select the episode you want watch, press Play and have fun!

Grivous.
Grivous

Postby Wulfespinndel » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:11 am

Collider wrote:
Rosso Rose wrote: I'll move on to Mononoke.

If you can spare the time, I would recommend taking a look at Ayakashi: Samurai Horror Tales before jumping into Mononoke. As it turns out, the latter is a spin-off of the former; more specifically, Mononoke is a continuation of sorts of Ayakashi's last tale (the series is an anthology). In my opinion, the aforementioned narrative is one of the best stories featuring the medicine peddler, despite the fact that Ayakashi as a whole is not that good.

Oh really? I didn't catch the part where the medicine peddler was in Bake Neko when I visit the wiki page. I just skimmed through it. Thanks for the reminder.
This too shall pass.

Postby BossyGirl » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:35 pm

Try Souleater~
~ count them forsaken ~
Obsessed with the mess that's America

Postby BossyGirl » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:37 pm

crap I think i'm in trouble
~ count them forsaken ~
Obsessed with the mess that's America

Next

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)