Close Cut Call

Discuss new comics, posts, and news directly from the Snafu-Comics main page!

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Close Cut Call

Postby Hallow Nova » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:27 am

She is arrogant though. Plus, that scene with the gun points more towards her naivety. Knowing how powerful her father is, and that Him is of equal rank, the fact she even expected the gun to do anything is childish.
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby silvercover » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:09 am

its not so much that different from junior...

anyways, my point is that chi may not be that inexperienced or defenseless. she'd probably not win against a serious junior, but I can see her putting up a good fight at least.
Romance Expert

Postby Hallow Nova » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:02 am

I believe the Chi and Jr contrasts were repetitively mentioned. Never said his development was well done.

If I recall correctly, last time this was discussed, the bare compromise was that Chi wouldn't be able to limit her overwhelming amount of power, leading to a multitude of possible outcomes.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Megadon » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:26 pm

Now when it comes to Chi and Jr. it's a close match because neither of them are capable of using their full powers and have some degree of naivete. Jr.'s is the fact that he's never been in a true serious battle. I'm not counting against the Redeemer and HIM for certain reasons, but he hasn't been in a serious battle. Chi's the fact that she's spoiled, doesn't truly know what is happening around her, and just now unlocking her powers. True they both show some degree of control and skill, but they both are still inexperienced. So it's hard to guess/decide who would win a fight between the two.

Personally I say Jr. has 60% chance of winning when the two of them fight. Why I say is because true Jr. has never been in a serious fights he has been in situations where he had to somewhat fight back or show his courage. The two biggest moments when he's done that was against HIM and Mandy. Where as Chi almost collapsed when she found out she was nothing to HIM. So if they fight and it comes down to a battle of bravery and fortitude Jr. has a higher chance of winning than Chi.
The Madness has gone quiet for now. But it's always there and will return.
I'm cured, mostly.
Seeker of truth. Truth of Light and Darkness.

Postby Hallow Nova » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:40 pm

Untrue. Chi didn't have her powers against Him. I wouldn't be surprised to see Chi retain her confidence, even in a hypothetical immediate rematch with Him.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby ari-6 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:24 pm

I feel that if Chi had the chance to fight HIM now that she does have her powers she would probably go for it. She didn't have them before so now she's feeling powerful.
Some people shouldn't have an imagination. They just abuse it.
Im Making This Up As I Go
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Megadon » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:28 pm

You can't really use that no powers thing as an excuse for her. Because Jr. was just a soul with no powers when he went up against HIM and I say he faired better than what she did. Considering the terrified look she had on her face after HIM ate her gun, and even now that she has her power I think it will still end badly for her. She's actually lucky Papa Aku came in and saved her when he did. I truthfully feel there are only 3 people who can go toe-to-toe with HIM: Jr.(Once he masters all his powers), Mandy (Enough said), and Mimi (Once she's actually at full strength). Now Chi (if she is Blossom's Soul) if she had her powerpuff powers, master the aku powers she has now, and get some real battle experience than I see her beating HIM in about 30yrs. But as she is now him just need to slap her one good time into the ground and she'll be ready to run, cry, or give up.
Last edited by Megadon on Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm cured, mostly.

Postby Hallow Nova » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:33 pm

The excuse is that Chi was cocky without reason, whereas now she has reason.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Megadon » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:41 pm

But that's just it. She was cocky when she went against HIM and has learned from that. Whereas she's about to go against the grim children and pain, and just like she did with HIM she's underestimating them. The only one she's not underestimating is Mandy and she's about to leave for a meeting of the Underworld Lords. Plus we haven't even seen what that can really do yet. We've just seen clips of their progress, and again she doesn't have any real battle experience. Whereas in 1 arc the grim children have been through one of their most intense (longest) battles and have gotten some good hardened battle experience. Even if she beats down Jr. she'll be lucky to fair any good against Mini considering the attitude she's had lately.

Now don't take this the wrong way. It's not that I don't like Chi or have disbelief in her powers. But in truth most of the battles in comics come down to 3 things: character, experience, and ability. Chi has the ability part down nothing to challenge there. But the grim children have the ability part as well. And when it comes to her character and experience she lacks in both. That's why I see her as having about 40-45% of the fight if she fights the grim children. To be honest I want to see her character develop more before she fights them.
Last edited by Megadon on Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm cured, mostly.

Postby Hallow Nova » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:47 pm

I doubt Chi learned anything from her encounter with Him.

Also, Chi background gives her more natural strength and battle prowess.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Megadon » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:52 pm

Tenshi Nova wrote:I doubt Chi learned anything from her encounter with Him.

She learned not to challenge a Lord of the Underworld. They don't call them Lords for no reason.
I'm cured, mostly.

Postby ari-6 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:17 am

Blord had a post here. Where did it go?

Guardian wrote: Can you prove that?
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Havoc » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:44 am

Tenshi Nova wrote:No, it's not. You guys can complain about it, the fact of the matter is, her background allows her to have considerably less training than the others.

I know I'm bias hell, with the whole "me hating Chi thing", but unless she's made out to be an antagonist, But like Silverclover said: her beating the shit out of Junior and/or Minnie would make her author's pet and full blown Mary Sue. If she is going to eventually end up on the protagonist side of the field (which I feel she is), then she's better off being a follower, not a leader. I still fear that once Chi engages Jr, it'll turn into one of those cliche anime scenarios of "angry woman dominating men". I want to see an actual fight.
User No. 24602
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby ari-6 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:02 am

We have already seen that exact scenario so It won't be as amusing at all. I honestly can't see her doing too well here but the biggest threat has already left.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Hallow Nova » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:04 am

@Mega
If you believe that, then you don't understand Chi's character. Which baffles me, since it was shoved down our throats.

@Havoc
I feel Chi has the best qualifications for being a leader. Consider their respective predecessors, none of them are mature enough to take their place, but Chi is closer than the rest, especially in terms of raw power.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby silvercover » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:43 am

well rather than being a literal leader, I see chi as having some good capability to do things her own way.

she's not likely to lead junior or the other main chacters in the series, but its doubtful that she'd follow junior and the others in any way.

goes back to what I said before, that junior and chi may get "nice" to each other for the sake of mimi, but chi wont be part of juniors group nor would junior do the same. I see it that both would go in separate paths or have separate objectives at least, making them both the "leader" of their own.
Romance Expert

Postby Hallow Nova » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:19 am

I don't see Chi leaving Mimi with Jr alone, nor do I see Jr handing Mimi over to Chi. The cliche would be for Jr to lead, and Chi to follow(out of her love for Mimi).

Quick note, my comment was meant for their individual realms, not as a group. Havoc's point still has merit though.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby silvercover » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:32 pm

of course you know, that that would depend on mimi choosing to follow junior.
and as we can see from the daydream/flashback she had while sleeping, she's got interest in chi rather than being one-sided on chi's side. its debatable whether her feelings are like chi, but mimi cares about chi at least.

well for now, just waiting for some more developments to get a more clear answer on how this would go. cause despite what others said, its possible that chi and junior dont even get into that big a fight, and even if they fight the reasons may vary which would also depend on how it goes.
like, would they fight cause chi thinks he's hurting mimi, or cause she's jealous/paranoid of him? or would it be the other way around and junior would attack chi first thinking she's come here to bring mimi back to HIM?

for the possibility that they dont fight, I was thinking that chi and minnie would encounter each other first and a fight would erupt. then we get junior/mimi to arrive in the scene to stop them or something.
Romance Expert

Postby Havoc » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:14 am

@Tenshi: You yourself seem to be painting Chi as some sort of absolute, flawless being that's far superior to Junior and Minnie in every way. I really don't want to see that. We can't have Chi overshadowing Jr and Minnie (which she's already sorta doing at this point). She can be on par with Minnie and Junior (but even that's pushing it), or she can be beneath them; preferably beneath.

Also you mentioning how Chi would be a good leader: What makes you say that? Because I really don't see it.

I have to say, if she does team up with the main characters, I want her and Jr to have a sort of rivalry thing going on.
User No. 24602
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby ari-6 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:17 am

Yes to rivalry.

When Tenshi said he thought she would make a good leader, he only meant that she is closest to her predecessor than any of them. As for whether that makes her a leader considering she has already been shown to make bad decisions, pick fights poorly and shout at her subordinates.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby silvercover » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:49 am

I can picture a rivalry going on if mimi does end up joining junior's group(which isnt that official yet you know) and being quite friendly with him.

otherwise, if mimi doesnt join them, or if she's "forced" to stay with him(like cause she's in danger and he's there to help, or chi has her hands full of something else and junior's the only other person available) and isnt really in good terms/friendly with him, then I can see chi not giving a shit about him. she'd just more or less ignore whatever he says and does whatever she wants, thus there being no real rivalry here.

id prefer the latter to happen. you guys already know about how much I favor chi, right? well I consider one of those scenarios I wrote the way to cement chi as a protagonist, of her own route of course. having 2 protagonist is my ideal outcome.
I dont want to see chi being turned into just another girl that gets involved with junior, which is how it would likely go if chi joins the group. chi would just become another side character instead of a main one, as her overall importance to the protagonist(junior) is pretty small.
the other option would be chi eclipsing junior as the protagonist, but that would imply that junior has decayed or has peaked in character development, neither of which is the case here. oh and the fans would be angry, not really a fan of junior but even I would also be a bit upset if the protagonist is replaced for no good reason....
Romance Expert

Postby Hallow Nova » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:28 am

@Havoc
I'm saying that Chi is better than Jr and Minnie. Maybe not by the margin you seem to place on the matter, but the only way I see them beating Chi is by teaming up against her AND having something else to boost their side. Disliking a character is no reason to make them weak or pathetic against the protagonists.

Also, I never said Chi would be a good leader, just a leader.
Ari basically summed up what I meant when I said leader. Chi in terms of development overall, is closer to Aku than Jr is to Grim, or Minnie is to Mandy(course Minnie needs to be retested). I'm not saying Chi is anywhere near ready to be a leader, but neither is Jr or Minnie.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Megadon » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:27 pm

So you're saying that Chi is better because she's closer to being her parent than Jr. and Minnie are to theirs. Truthfully I don't find that as a good comparison. Reason why is because even thought Jr. and Minnie aren't exactly like their parents they have already shown features equal to or beyond that of their parents. Jr. especially, because even though he can't fully control it yet his powers (reaper/nergal hybrid) are already far beyond Grim's. To the point I think deep inside Grim actually fears it. Jr. even did what Minnie and Grim fear and stood up to Mandy, and most likely called her a bitch to her face. As for Minnie; she's already showing combat skills we haven't seen on Mandy until her later (probably 20s-30s) years, and she's only about 10-14 years old. I'm not overestimating the Grim Children, and I'm not underestimating Chi. I'm just saying don't just immediately say one I better because they are more like their parents than the others. And don't just go on and gauge the kids capabilities compared to their parents. Because a lot of times in comics, cartoons, and anime: the later generation (Chi, Jr., Minnie, Mimi, and any other future underworld kids) end up completely surpassing their predecessors.

Now Chi has shown something we've never seen from Aku until recently, and that's caring for other people (even if its only demo her stress ball and Mimi). And I can't deny she has some real possibilities for her. But I don't think she'll really/fully develop until she starts to step out of the image/shadow of her father/mother Aku.

But in truth I waiting on 2 real questions to be answered. One of which doesn't retain to this arc.
1. What are Chi's true originals and how they link to Blossom and Mimi?
2. (And I've never stopped thinking about it) Who is Jr.'s real maternal father?
I'm cured, mostly.

Postby Hallow Nova » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:17 pm

I don't see how this analysis goes against me saying Chi would fit into the leadership role more than Jr or Minnie.

If you're assuming I'm underestimating Jr and Minnie, while overestimating Chi, I disagree. Everything you've stated, we've already known. In all honesty, I don't really see any useful information in you post :p

Jr has the nergal, so he must be compared to Grim and Nergal Junior. His mental state isn't one where he'd go and take charge, unless he finds it necessary.
Minnie has had the tutors and resources Mandy didn't have available for their respective age. Yet, Mandy as a child was able to accomplish much more with her limited resources, than Minnie. Of course Minnie's life has been more sheltered, but that's made Minnie very hesitant. I mentioned that Minnie had to be tested again, based on her 'new' attitude, we've yet to see if her resolve has changed.
Chi, however, being as idiotic and arrogant as she is, impulsively does what she wants and pushes people around. When she developed her powers, she immediately tested to see if she could do things Aku hasn't. This would imply that her grasp on the basics of the powers are set, just as how Aku and Blossom were, but again, this is an implication, since we haven't seen Chi in combat. But, based off her mentality, IF they were all friends, then Chi would be ordering them around.

I never said she'd be a good leader or a good friend. Just a leader. A bossy person that the others wouldn't have to deal with.
As I mentioned, the cliche would be for Chi to fall in line behind Jr.

What would probably be for the best, is to watch Chi show off her abilities against some of the guards, minions or Cerberus. Then people would get a grasp on her abilities, instead of throwing her straight to Jr and Minnie.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Megadon » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:32 pm

My analysis wasn't against Chi being a better leader than Jr. or Minnie. In fact I can see her pulling off the leadership role well. With only like 1 or 2 fails, but all-in-all well. My post/analysis was against you saying Chi is better, because of her lineage and how closely resembles her parent.
I'm cured, mostly.

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Updates and News!