Calling out for a Lico

Discuss new comics, posts, and news directly from the Snafu-Comics main page!

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Calling out for a Lico

Postby MillennialDan » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:04 pm

All the screwed up stuff that's been shown on this site, and you guys make a call to arms over a lousy slur? I agree that the comic's been pretty cruddy lately, but that's a separate issue from this totally bogus double standard you're promoting.

Postby Sigmas » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:11 pm

I love how you're only paying attention to one problem rather than seeing everything else we find wrong with this comic.

Even if you ignore the censoring or the slur, the "plot" to this may as well be written with shit on a stick, IMO.
"Stick around... I'm full of bad ideas." -Isaac Clarke
"You've chosen your Answer. Now see it through." -Serene Haze
Gizmo - You're always awesome Sig. DON'T 4get that.

Check out my literary comic: Kurosai Chronicles!
The Resident Smartass
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Fan_the_Flames » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:46 pm

If anything, the "double standard" is in the fucking censoring in the comic. Typical curse words, curse words that are allowed ON THIS FORUM and even would be found in a PG-13 movie are considered worthy of bleeping out. If that's in case someone younger finds the site, fine (even though the stuff leading up to these pages would probably be more mature than they would want anyway.)

But dyke, a slur that has always had negative connotations to the lesbian community, along with the implications behind the fact that being shaved bald would make her look like one, which could be an insult to non "Lipstick Lesbians" if you would, just passes on by.

I won't get into the other parts of the site or comics because this is a topic for Sugar Bits, but the "screwed up" stuff in this comic was always taken with at least a modicum of tact before Melancholy. The death of Ginger's mother, Ginger's alternate persona in Licorice, Bo's almost death, and the loss of Brave's family, all of it was handled maturely. Then we hit Melancholy, and suddenly most subtlety was out the window. "OMG, Licorice is pure evil, even if she's absolutely nothing like the original story and we're giving you fuck all to tell you if it's a new story or not! Oh, and Boo Bear's a good guy, even though everything we saw before and know about Dystopius implies that guys that help people are not a THING in Dystopius." That's what people are more angry about than anything. 2 year long battle or not, the writing of SB has gone down the tubes so fast.

Postby Princess » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:23 pm

Sigment wrote:I love how you're only paying attention to one problem rather than seeing everything else we find wrong with this comic.

Even if you ignore the censoring or the slur, the "plot" to this may as well be written with shit on a stick, IMO.

It seems he also he was not around for the suggestive rape shit that was going on with that Boobear dude, or anything else people have complained about over the years. Also, I don't care that Boobear ended up as a good guy, that page is extremely triggering and uncalled for.
Tuor: You foolish fools, no one can tame the stuffaluffagus!
Oct 31, 2014 at 4:23 pm EST, sempai finally noticed me.
Snafu Mods Suck 2k14.
All Men Must Die.
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Hallow Nova » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:38 pm

MillennialDan wrote:All the screwed up stuff that's been shown on this site, and you guys make a call to arms over a lousy slur? I agree that the comic's been pretty cruddy lately, but that's a separate issue from this totally bogus double standard you're promoting.

Tenshi Nova wrote:We both know it's not just one thing. viewtopic.php?p=3495397#p3495397

Maybe if you paid a bit more attention, you'd see the many other reasons. Also, it should be mentioned that slurs aren't allowed to be used on the forums.
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby The Creator » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:18 pm

Well... someone called this down to the letter, I don't remember who. Its kind sad that it was that predictable. I wasn't hear for all the year long battle pages but, I definitely miss them, its like we're not actually reading sugar bits, just some bizarre parallel universe fanfic.

It seems that anywhere NEK goes...
KORRA SEASON 3 IS ONLINE http://www.watchcartoononline.com/the-l ... f-a-nation
let me think about it

Postby Megadon » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:29 pm

It was me Creator. I said this scream the whole call Lico for help, "DO you want my help or not?", feel to it.

The leave Britney alone thing I didn't really care about, because I didn't really care for Britney.

The argument or which is worse: a sexual slur or a curse word. I'm staying out of it for personal reasons. Got me in trouble in High school.

I can understand why people feel sad and disturbed in this update. When Boo first appeared we had mixed feelings about him. Heck I even threaten to break the 4th wall, enter the comic, and kill himself myself if he was going to do "dark things" to Ginger. But we later find out he's a good guy and was just randomly killed for no good reason. And now he have street punks who confirm he's a good guy, and now find out his kids are now going to be orphans "again". But hey that's how the cards play sometimes. In truth he should be glad it was just Lico with a stab. Imagine if he was killed by FliqpY from HTF.

Now as for what's about to happen to Jayce and his crew. I want someone to be stupid and give a piece of candy. Even if it's just a stick of bubble gum. Because I want to see how she kills these guys so badly.

It's a so,so update this time. Good artwork, and okay dialogue. But it causes a lot of mixed feelings. Can't wait for next page. Want to see how they all die. Here's hoping for mint bullet, with a bubblegum gun.
The Madness has gone quiet for now. But it's always there and will return.
I'm cured, mostly.
Seeker of truth. Truth of Light and Darkness.

Postby TKetic » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:32 pm

I honestly don't get why people are saying this page is shit and sucks and whatnot. Its not that bad, I happen to like this comic. But those guys are so screwed now, don't give her candy. Whatever you do, don't give her any candy.
"Someday, I'd like to go one week without meeting an insane mage. Just one week." Hawke

Postby Megadon » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:42 pm

Welcome to the forum TKetic.
And go over the rules of the forum okay.
Don't want a new guy getting in trouble and I could have warned him.
The Madness has gone quiet for now. But it's always there and will return.
I'm cured, mostly.
Seeker of truth. Truth of Light and Darkness.

Postby Chaoticgarden » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:07 pm

I knew she was going to save ginger, and shaving people's heads is the worse they can do?
The thinning line between you and my sanity is quickly fading.

Postby SantaUltraDJClaus » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:15 pm

TKetic wrote:I honestly don't get why people are saying this page is shit and sucks and whatnot. Its not that bad, I happen to like this comic. But those guys are so screwed now, don't give her candy. Whatever you do, don't give her any candy.

Don't start a battle you can't finish. Look at Tenshi's reasons on why this is an abomination:

Tenshi Nova wrote:We both know it's not just one thing. viewtopic.php?p=3495397#p3495397
Pro Snafu Mods Supporter 2k14
Just Rockin

Postby Blood Lord » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:48 pm

TKetic wrote:I honestly don't get why people are saying this page is shit and sucks and whatnot. Its not that bad, I happen to like this comic. But those guys are so screwed now, don't give her candy. Whatever you do, don't give her any candy.

I would highly suggest that you get to know your fellow forum members and their reasonings, before making a call out like this and looking like an idiot. A good understanding of the current hostility on the site can be found, literally, posts above you.

So instead of walking in and making stupid remarks, do some research and ask people, politely.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby MillennialDan » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:59 am

How the heck did everyone miss the fact that I said I AGREE that the comic has been lame recently? My remark was strictly related to the silly notion of asking that the comic be removed or the page altered in some way because of an insulting slur. There has been a ton of offensive content in the comics here, so that is once again a ridiculous thing to say.

If you don't like the comic anymore, don't read it. It's not very good, so you'd be doing yourself a favor, right? I don't even mind the complaining, but the tone of outright activism in here is a little overboard.

Postby Hallow Nova » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:03 am

Dan. You need to stop yourself. Read the 4 posts that responded to your own post, in such a manner that you claim others haven't given you. I would just quote myself AGAIN, but since it's on the same page, it'd just be spam.

In case someone makes more uninformed comments, I'll repeat it once more...

There's more than one reason for why Melancholy should be detached from Sugar Bits. The slur is ONE OF MULTIPLE REASONS. This page is ONE OF MULTIPLE DISAPPOINTING PAGES. The distaste for Melancholy stretches back to THE FIRST PAGE, which was posted half a year ago; and before anyone makes another assumption, it was given the benefit of the doubt each page, even though each page detracted more and more people.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby ari-6 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:51 am

MillennialDan wrote:How the heck did everyone miss the fact that I said I AGREE that the comic has been lame recently? My remark was strictly related to the silly notion of asking that the comic be removed or the page altered in some way because of an insulting slur. There has been a ton of offensive content in the comics here, so that is once again a ridiculous thing to say.

Another thing that I don't think anyone has mentioned yet, there have been a tone of controversial things in these comics. But most of the things that people will use as example: Implied pedophilia, abortion, 9/11 blah blah blah are all themes that have some baring on the plot. Even the Boobear thing was part of the plot. The slur has nothing to do with the plot and is only there because someone thought it was funny. It can be removed and this page would be no less pointless but it would be less offensive. So your argument really doesn't hold up
Some people shouldn't have an imagination. They just abuse it.
Im Making This Up As I Go
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Hallow Nova » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:12 am

I'm not sure whom ari agreeing or disagreeing with here, but something I feel being miscommunicated should be addressed.

GT and SB are 2 different comics. Though GT isn't being discussed, it should be mentioned that some people do believe that GT should be removed.
When you read GT, you're well aware of what you should expect from the beginning. The concepts and controversial topics add to the flavor and character development of the story.

This is when we move to SB and Melancholy. Sugar Bits officially ended with DMajor's passing. Melancholy is an undefined story that shares 1 or 2 characters from SB. The style, tone and themes are completely different.

There's also the assumption that everyone wants Melancholy to be deleted off the site. Though some do, others have merely asked for SB to stop updating.
Give Melancholy its own slot AWAY from SB. Though I don't think Melancholy should even be on the site anymore, detaching it from SB would at least give SB's ending meaning.
SB was ended in the hopes that it'd be continued in the future, by someone capable enough to do so.
If one wants to argue that it's Bleed's work, this isn't Bleed's site.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Gizmo » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:39 am

Skull boy has a better plot than this...and the antagonist is a freaking pizza!!!!! :cussing:
Give in to the DARKNESS

Postby FatexXHearts » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:15 pm

Tenshi Nova wrote:Give Melancholy its own slot AWAY from SB. Though I don't think Melancholy should even be on the site anymore, detaching it from SB would at least give SB's ending meaning.
SB was ended in the hopes that it'd be continued in the future, by someone capable enough to do so.
If one wants to argue that it's Bleed's work, this isn't Bleed's site.

That sounds like a pretty good idea, even more so since it still up in the air what Melancholy is, no one know if it a prequel or sequel, or side story. And based on the update rate and what we've seen so far we probably won't know anytime soon.

As for the page... meh wasn't exactly the worst but it wasn't exactly good either but everyone already stated previously why. At this point just curious where this is going it been a couple pages now and we seem to be going nowhere, one character died who just appeared out of nowhere so that doesn't really do much.
Last edited by FatexXHearts on Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Hallow Nova » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:10 pm

This is an awkward welcoming, feels out of place, but...
Welcome to the forums Fate! Please read our rules and notes, and enjoy your time here! :D
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Sigmas » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:29 pm

Tenshi Nova wrote:I'm not sure whom ari agreeing or disagreeing with here, but something I feel being miscommunicated should be addressed.

I believe Ari is saying that the slur on this page could be edited out, and the page would be just as shitty. In other words, he's on our side of things.
"Stick around... I'm full of bad ideas." -Isaac Clarke
"You've chosen your Answer. Now see it through." -Serene Haze
Gizmo - You're always awesome Sig. DON'T 4get that.

Check out my literary comic: Kurosai Chronicles!
The Resident Smartass
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Darkingdomhearts » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:41 pm

I really hope that somehow Sugar Bits could be redeemed to how it originally was. The first page of Melancholy made me really curious, I still kinda liked the Boobear part, but the it suddenly hit a stone and fell down the hill. They could have done this soooo much better, I actually hoped for a prequel or something. But now with the MLP, rip-off Ace, Britney Spears, unnecessary censor, and dragging the whole story out way too long it just doesn't have any value anymore.

I still have hopes for Grim Tales, as although there are only info pages of things we already know, I think that at least is interesting and leading up to something. But we can also thank Grids for making a decent plot in the first arc of it.
CHECK OUT THE SNAFU COMICS WIKI

Postby Hallow Nova » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:15 pm

Darkingdomhearts wrote:it suddenly hit a stone and fell down the hill.

It sky dived into a large hole.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby FatexXHearts » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:25 pm

Tenshi Nova wrote:This is an awkward welcoming, feels out of place, but...
Welcome to the forums Fate! Please read our rules and notes, and enjoy your time here! :D

Thanks for the welcome! :) but why does it feel awkward?

Darkingdomhearts wrote:I really hope that somehow Sugar Bits could be redeemed to how it originally was. The first page of Melancholy made me really curious, I still kinda liked the Boobear part, but the it suddenly hit a stone and fell down the hill. They could have done this soooo much better, I actually hoped for a prequel or something. But now with the MLP, rip-off Ace, Britney Spears, unnecessary censor, and dragging the whole story out way too long it just doesn't have any value anymore.

Yea. The Boobear part could've been interesting, but then he died cause..well why the heck not I guess. And this isn't even dragging out a plot anymore, there no real plot. This feel more like filler than anything, and a poor written one at that, but like you said we can only hope it get better

Postby Hallow Nova » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:29 pm

Well, most of the thread so far has been filled with anger towards the page. Then all of a sudden, "Welcome :D"
Just a bit stange imo :p
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Blood Lord » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:33 pm

FatexXHearts wrote:This feel more like filler than anything, and a poor written one at that, but like you said we can only hope it get better

Well... I don't think there is anyway we can see this get worse.

I'll just stop, knock on wood, and resist suggesting ways this can go further into the toilet.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Updates and News!