fade to black

Discuss new comics, posts, and news directly from the Snafu-Comics main page!

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: fade to black

Postby Tenshi Nova » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:34 pm

There are 2 main issues with the page.

We don't know what this is, a reboot? A flashback? A timeskip?
This one thing puts a lot of limitations on discussions, and often halts people from thinking, or even caring, about the comic.

Movement of the stories(Plural)
If focus is being forced here, other works take a hit. This wouldn't be that much of a problem is SB moved at a proper pace. So far, with 4 pages, they accomplished what could've been done in 3. This may not seem like a big deal, but at the early stages of the comic, and given the problems in GT, this pisses a lot of people off.
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby ari-6 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:48 pm

I think you are right about that. In comic books and manga, no one minds or even notices when a page alone does not advance the story. But as I have come to realise with webcomics, it is all about fitting as much story as possible into a single page. It doesn't help that the story moves on a rate of 1 page every few weeks so when a page alone isn't entertaining, we feel cheated And that we spend about a week scrutinising everything about that one page.
I am the MISSINGNO
Current world record holder for the longest case of the sniffles.
Im Making This Up As I Go

Postby rock2161 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:53 pm

It does seem a little unfair to the author. Also, that poor, poor fool.
When life gives you lemons, make apple juice, and laugh while everyone else tries to figure out what the hell you just did.

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? You're a mile away, and you have his shoes.

Postby GuyverXZ » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:54 pm

Fan_the_Flames wrote:We know that Boobear has done this with other children before. There's a page from when Hansel and Gene were just entering Dystopius that has the silhouette of Boobear against an alleyway with a young girl who had a very hurt, ashamed look on her face. The implication was obvious.

This still doesn't explain why Licorice/Ginger would care enough about him to trick him. Licorice never seemed like the type that would do vigilante justice like this. She had one goal that we know of, and that was to confront Bleedheart. Unless she plans on using Boobear to try to lure Bleedheart out again, but that would probably mean it would be after the events before the hiatus. Which would lead into a whole new problem about how long into the future this is and why she isn't under house arrest.

I went back to look at the that, I never noticed before but in the next panel the girl is gone with either a book or wallet on the ground and a shoe.
Hell Hound

Postby Nina333 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:24 pm

Ginger's eyes when she is licking the lollipop indicate she knows what Boobear wants to do with her. She is pretending to be a helpless little girl so she can kill or hurt Boobear in a dark secluded alley. She might be waiting to kill Boobear until he leads her to the place where he keeps kids from what he was implying. Lots of people seem confused on if NEK was doing a reboot or not. I was thinking this story was a prequel since Ginger's mom is mentioned to be alive.

Postby Fan_the_Flames » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:40 pm

Boobear mentioning Ginger's mom could just be a ploy to try and get her trust, get a read on her in order to give him something to connect with her about. He should have no clue whether or not Ginger's mother is alive, and Ginger never made any comment confirming or denying that. It is possible for it to be a prequel about the first time Licorice comes out and the meeting with the Mindsnare. If that is Licorice, based on the past history, than Ginger's mother has to be dead, since we know that at the very least her mother's death planted the seeds of Licorice.

Postby Tenshi Nova » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:42 pm

@ari
The big reason for that is because of the amount given.
For comics and manga, they release a few pages at once. This allows them more freedom.
Attempting to do that with a webcomic that updates based on whims doesn't help.
In the long run the story may seem for the better, but once people reach the latest page and wait for updates, they become more aware of how grueling the comic is. It could be solved with a an ETA on pages, but we're not getting that.

@Nina
Where does it say her mother is alive?
Boo is listing common reasons from children that he 'befriended'.
Also, even if her mother was still alive, it could still be a reboot.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby ari-6 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:08 pm

Fan_the_Flames wrote:We know that Boobear has done this with other children before. There's a page from when Hansel and Gene were just entering Dystopius that has the silhouette of Boobear against an alleyway with a young girl who had a very hurt, ashamed look on her face. The implication was obvious.

Okay so I went back and found the page he was talking about. http://sugar.snafu-comics.com/index.php?comic_id=59 He would seem to be correct. Except... If Ginger is going to bad end this guy then he couldn't still be doing this later on. So either one of the following: This is not a prequel, it is a reboot or sequel. Or Flames is just wrong and that isn't the same guy.
I am the MISSINGNO

Postby ULTRADJ » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:31 pm

I've read manga before when you get a 30 page chapter and the story still doesn't go forward. If you look at it in a comic sort of sense, you can see why it would've taken a couple of pages for the story to go on, but since this is a web comic, the rules are a little different. You kind of have to make the story go a little faster in one page, but the author still needs some comfort room to not rush it too fast as to not miss anything but still do it at a pace where the story flows forward at reasonable speed. It can be a bit complicated when you think about it, considering all the factors like how fast can he do the art and etc. I suspect it may take a few more pages to see if this is a reboot or a sequel. But that may take a bit more time, and I can kinda see people are losing their patients with every page, for good reasons of course. We have no choice though but to wait or if the author just tells us right now if this is a reboot or a sequel, quelling us all for a while.
Just Rockin

Postby Tenshi Nova » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:51 pm

Those manga most likely get a lot of shit for poor writing.

It's fine to build up a story, the problem is when the story is built, and nothing comes from it but filler.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby ari-6 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:00 pm

I do prefer it when every chapter contributes to the overall story. But isn't it common practice, especially in long running series to have filler chapters?
I am the MISSINGNO

Postby Darkingdomhearts » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:02 pm

ari-6 wrote:Okay so I went back and found the page he was talking about. http://sugar.snafu-comics.com/index.php?comic_id=59 He would seem to be correct. Except... If Ginger is going to bad end this guy then he couldn't still be doing this later on. So either one of the following: This is not a prequel, it is a reboot or sequel. Or Flames is just wrong and that isn't the same guy.

It still could be a prequel, or actually just a flashback as I prefer to call it in this case. I hope it is a flashback, and that this is right after the death of Ginger's mother and that the we see here is Licorice just being brought into the world (Dystopius). And that she now does go by the name Ginger because she is just created.
CHECK OUT THE SNAFU COMICS WIKI

Postby ari-6 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:12 pm

Oh yeah, two more possibilities I forgot to add: It is a prequel and Ginger get's bad ended (unlikely). Or BB is just in the habit of taking young girls back to his home and giving them gothic lolita dresses and doing nothing else.
I am the MISSINGNO

Postby Fan_the_Flames » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:20 pm

If this is Licorice, then I am interested in how can Boobear see her. According to the Lion, very few people can actually see Licorice. To many, they'll just see Ginger. And so far, I think we only have I think 5 confirmed people that can see Licorice: Bo, Hansel, the Lion, the Mindsnare, and Bleedheart, of course excluding Ginger. Gene is possibly in that list too due to the writing of letters between the two. If two Bravehearts can't see Licorice when she's right next to them, I don't know if a random pedophile would be able to see her.

And Licorice getting the dress from Boobear actually wouldn't be too far fetched, at least the idea for it. I mean, a lot of pedophiles have their own specific fetishes. Maybe he likes dressing girls up in lolita fashion.

Postby ULTRADJ » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:03 pm

I like how when we try to type "lollipop" or "Lolita", we get the lol guy's face. Also, maybe during the time BB introduced him self to her, she and Licorice switched places right there and then. I could be wrong completely, it's just that last page she had those "I'm dead eyes" so maybe that's when the transition happened. I really don't know tbh.
Edit: Huh, the face didn't happen to those two words for me.
Just Rockin

Postby AgentZero » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:31 pm

Someone is about to get **ck*d. Either sense, either person.
"I did not trip and fall, I attacked the floor and I am winning."
"I am on a seafood diet. I see food, I eat it."
"Who says nothing is impossible? I've been doing nothing for years."
Dont Blink

Postby Krest » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:22 pm

It'll be hilarious if BB really does just want to give children a safe place to live. I mean hell, the streets there are more dangerous than a stranger's house.
Sleep With Neil Patrick Harris

Postby Sigment » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:32 pm

Depends on the stranger.
"Stick around... I'm full of bad ideas." -Isaac Clarke
"You've chosen your Answer. Now see it through." -Serene Haze
Gizmo - You're always awesome Sig. DON'T 4get that.

Check out my literary comic: Kurosai Chronicles!
The Resident Smartass

Postby shadownerd221 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:17 am

Well now... this is going to end badly... for Boobear. Oh well, great page as always.

Postby UZF34 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:45 am

Wow, I've seen some dark things on the internet, but this shit just creeps me the fuck out! :eek:

Postby GuyverXZ » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:04 am

ULTRADJ wrote:I like how when we try to type "lollipop" or "Lolita", we get the lol guy's face. Also, maybe during the time BB introduced him self to her, she and Licorice switched places right there and then. I could be wrong completely, it's just that last page she had those "I'm dead eyes" so maybe that's when the transition happened. I really don't know tbh.
Edit: Huh, the face didn't happen to those two words for me.

Maybe we are looking at this the wrong way. Maybe Licorice is actually a split persona of ginger, with the loss of her mother she may have gotten Dissociative identity disorder and Licorice persona is in control of gingers body at this point and time, Further explaining why only a few can see Licorice is not to far fetched if some can dream talk to each other as well.
Hell Hound

Postby RandomHuman » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:06 am

Aaaaahhh!!! Y?!?!!!now to get the popcorn, anticipations killing meh.! :'(

Postby ari-6 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:25 am

UZF34 wrote:Wow, I've seen some dark things on the internet, but this shit just creeps me the fuck out! :eek:

Forgive me for saying so but, if this gets to you then maybe you should stay off the internet. Or things could get really scary really quick
I am the MISSINGNO

Postby MERASMUS! » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:12 pm

UZF34 wrote:Wow, I've seen some dark things on the internet, but this shit just creeps me the fuck out! :eek:

Undisputed best cosplayer of snafu

Postby Tenshi Nova » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:13 pm

Ah, an excellent guide.
Unfortunately, we've been led off topic.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Updates and News!