Time to mix it up

Discuss new comics, posts, and news directly from the Snafu-Comics main page!

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Time to mix it up

Postby Tenshi Nova » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:54 pm

The most logical thing to do.
Phase out and leave.
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Krest » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:44 pm

You all severely underestimate Mimi.
Sleep With Neil Patrick Harris

Postby Sigment » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:57 pm

More like we just don't want Skulker to be a pushover for her.
"Stick around... I'm full of bad ideas." -Isaac Clarke
"You've chosen your Answer. Now see it through." -Serene Haze
Gizmo - You're always awesome Sig. DON'T 4get that.

Check out my literary comic: Kurosai Chronicles!
The Resident Smartass

Postby silvercover » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:59 pm

Krest wrote:You all severely underestimate Mimi.

mimi so far hasnt really displayed anything except for physical objects and abilities.
if she had shown like energy blasts or something, it would be feasible for her to do some real damage.

of course though, she could also pull out ghost hunting devices in here, but that's sort of unfair and is too good. that would make mimi unstoppable, close to the level of the GODDAMN BATMAN, if she can just pull out every counter for an enemy.

Postby Blood Lord » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:01 pm

Just hoping for something unpredictable to happen. Mimi winning is the most obvious outcome in this situation unless we are going on one hell of a backstory ride.

Skulker winning would be something different, but is probably not going to happen.

Postby Megadon » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:24 pm

Alright here's my thoughts on the Skulker vs. Mimi battle. I'm not taking anything from Mimi, because throughout her time in her demon form, with the loss of her psychic abilities, she has display exceptional skill in improvisation, one-on-one combat, and weapon use. Turning anything non-lethal or otherwise in to an extremely affective weapon. Then there is Skulker; the Ghost Zone's greatest hunter, who on several occasions uses basic hunting and combat tactics to easily overwhelm his opponents. Now both have amazing skills and credentials, but when it comes down to it, it's a matter of experience vs. talent. Mimi shows a enormous amount of raw natural talent, but because this happened so long ago (flashback) we aren't fully sure if the talent she had then is equal to the skills she has now. While Skulker has years probably decades worth of hunting and combat experience. Not just with ghost but obviously with demons as well. So like say it comes down to experience vs. talent, and hate to say but in those types of matches experience wins close to 87% of the time. Now that's not saying Mimi is not in that 13% where talent wins, or will maybe fight him again and wins, but I think when it comes to this first round Skulker wins by a landside.
The Madness has gone quiet for now. But it's always there and will return.
I'm cured, mostly.
Seeker of truth. Truth of Light and Darkness.

Postby silvercover » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:37 pm

not really, the big problem here is that skulker is a ghost as tenshi pointed out last page.
if skulker wasnt, id say the fight would be fairly even enough, with skulker using various gadgets against mimi's arsenal of utensils.

Postby Megadon » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:05 am

I'm not forgetting the fact that Skulker is a ghost, but as he's shown in the last page he does have experience fighting some demons. Because Aku Spawn or not those guards where still technically demons, and Skulker beat them easily. He probably has experience fighting different demons all throughout the underworld.
I'm cured, mostly.

Postby Darkingdomhearts » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:21 am

I think it also would be more interesting if Skulker won this fight, but in a way that Mimi still saves Chi, because Mimi still has to be the knight in shining armor to make Chi fall in love with Mimi. And experience wise, Skulker obviously has much more experience than Mimi. He has more experience than Mandy is old, while Mimi only has this ability for approximately one and a half year, or more (basing this off her new hair style which she got a year after gaining her powers).
CHECK OUT THE SNAFU COMICS WIKI

Postby Megadon » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:29 am

The way I see this story playing out is Skulker wins round 1, Mimi and Geoff, or maybe Mimi by herself, go on adventure through Aku City and Ghost Zone, fight Skulker again, and then we have the knight in shining armor moment.
I'm cured, mostly.

Postby rock2161 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:15 am

:unsure: Am I really the only person here that thinks Mimi is waay out of her weight class? IIRC, she doesn't actually have that many fights, certainly not against anyone who you'd assume to be top tier... and even in his home series, Skulker was usually pushing the high end adversary range. Add in the tendency this comic has of buffing up its characters from their home series, and I think he's just going to be annoyed.

P.S.
Okay, sorry, I actually missed a few posts, my keyboard is crap. I would honestly posit that, even if Mimi's talent does outstrip Skulkers own considerable prowess, which I wouldn't take for granted, at her age the advantage it gives is pretty much negligable against anyone with any serious (by the measures of the series) combat ability, be it talent or experience. I honestly don't see her as a serious threat to anyone top/high tier, which Skulker is shaping up to be.
Last edited by Tuor on Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Don't double post, please
When life gives you lemons, make apple juice, and laugh while everyone else tries to figure out what the hell you just did.

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? You're a mile away, and you have his shoes.

Postby Krest » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:22 am

Mimi will use laser beam eyes on his eyes. Using that moment of weakness in which he probably won't go hollow, she'll bite his arm, releasing Chi. She'll then open a portal and escape with Chi through it.

I can just see it happening.

Postby silentgrace7 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:35 am

I still want Mimi to kick his behind >.> One way or another, no matter to what degree or which time they face off, I want Skulker's rump handed to him on a platter. Despite that obviously being the upset most people are not looking forward to. I just really don't like him, though, so don't let my bias influence this interesting conversation.

That last panel really screams Courage reference, though ^.^ Mostly the cooking utensils...but Skulkers face really has that standard appeal that comes from just about any of the show's antagonists as that little, pink dog approaches them for the first (or succeeding) times...that and Eustace, but I think someone has already made that notion here if I remember correctly.
Doors are for people with no imagination

Postby Havoc » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:47 am

@Krest: ...What?

silvercover wrote:regarding grim tales. I can accept other people not liking chi cause, yeah, she hasnt done much good things yet. however, she also hasnt really done anything bad.
and you saying that chi deserves a smacking since the last page didnt improve my opinion of you.

The reason I hate her is because she's so one dimensional. She has almost no personality, and the little personality that she does display, is completely unlikable and annoying as piss. She's a spoiled bitch, and I would like to see her get her ass kicked. Listen, if you like Chi, then I respect your opinion. But as it sets, I fucking hate her.

Darkingdomhearts wrote:I think it also would be more interesting if Skulker won this fight, but in a way that Mimi still saves Chi, because Mimi still has to be the knight in shining armor to make Chi fall in love with Mimi.

I think I sorta already listed a possible scenario for that, unless you're talking about a different type of outcome.

silentgrace7 wrote:I still want Mimi to kick his behind >.> One way or another, no matter to what degree or which time they face off, I want Skulker's rump handed to him on a platter. Despite that obviously being the upset most people are not looking forward to. I just really don't like him, though, so don't let my bias influence this interesting conversation.

Maybe Mimi will rough him up a bit before Skulker gets the upper hand. That seems a fair compromise to me.
User No. 24602
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Krest » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:38 am

I don't see what's so confusing about what I said. Her mother had laser eye beams. Her father has teleportation powers. And she has sharp teeth. It's totally a legit scenario.

What do you mean she has no personality? She has loads of personality. Her personality is so intense that it's captivated the souls of millions.

Postby Tenshi Nova » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:59 am

@Krest
That information is optimistic.
We're not underestimating her, you're overestimating her.
In the series thus far, Mimi hasn't been able pull out powers like that.
The closest we had to that was when she threw a house.
When compared to all her other fights, was not only more playful, but after that show, she 'weakened'.
Studying the way she had fought in all her other fights, just expresses how improbable it should be for her to win.
In this situation, throwing a house at Skulker should be ineffective.

To the thread
Chi's character. I see nothing unique, yet. People have came and over analyzed Chi before, but they do so without over analyzing the other characters. They do a halfassed 'Yes I did, see!' and move on. Rather than comparing your own opinions with each other, compare to other people's opinions.
Most characters of her type are one dimensional at first, then become unique later on. The problem here is that she's been focused on too much. The only highlights with Chi include, 'her first tantrum we witnessed', 'Her interaction with Him' and 'Blossom'. Which, imo, takes 5 pages, 7 tops, but it took 20-ish pages of 'CHI IN YOUR FACE'?
Many arguments and debates have appeared in multiple threads concerning Chi's 'place' in the comic. All of them ended relatively the same; those that like Chi and those that disliked Chi, respectively remained adamant on the their preexisting opinions. So when making a post, realize that others can argue it.

With the above in mind, I feel like reiterating my views, in an attempt to keep the discussion from repeating itself like all the others.
I don't have a problem with Chi's character, I dislike her, but you can't like every single character you come across.
I also believe, that it's a lack of experience with some posters. They aren't accustomed to see the princesses type character strut their stuff. Spoiled brat that gets it all at first, then the loving misunderstood 'I'll make it up to you my way'.

I've already mentioned the word 'harem' a few times, and people always get jumpy with the word. I think the comic is heading in that direction, never said I liked it, actually I've mentioned a few times how I disliked harems.
The problem with series that follow the, for lack of a better term, 'mainstream harem' style, most girls become the mindless foot soldiers of the protagonist. For me, that's how I view Chi. She'll get her early reception of 'useless', which will transition into 'touching and emotional turning point', then just become background. Whether she dies a good fight, or remains spoiled(but 'enlightened') it's the same for me in all honesty.
It's how many characters similar to her have been in the past.

What sets her apart, is her controversial birth/spawn/creation/blah. That is probably the only thing that 'protects' Chi, the only reason why some readers haven't dropped the series. As if there aren't already unanswered questions.
From what I see, the only thing that can make Chi unique, is her origins. Her personality, upbringing, attitude, emotions, omnicompetence and tantrums have all been done many times in the past. And yes, they've all been done at the same time as well. It's no secret that Bleed's works are influenced by manga/anime, the commonalities are obvious, especially with Chi.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby silvercover » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:19 am

yeah I can see the problem of characters taking the spotlight too much.

also tenshi, I dont believe ive said to have any real problems with most other characters, even junior. the only reason why im "over analyzing" chi here is due to the dislike people are showing to her, that even seems to exceed the real antagonist/bastards in the plot.

for me personally, each character has their own importance and charm that makes the story a story. him is a bastard but that's his shtick and role, mandy's a bitch but thats also her role for the story, etc. these characters are made to brew a story of conflicts.
there's only been 1 time where I immensely disliked the character himself, that is attributed to the incompetence of the directors/scriptwriters.

grim hasnt reached that harem point yet though. yeah I get what your dreading and believe me I dislike those types of storylines that tend to fail.
actually, I think there's only been 1 anime that succeeded in creating a huge harem while giving each of the girls some good focus and keeping them interesting and important to the plot. anime im referring to would be negima.

Postby Tenshi Nova » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:30 am

The post wasn't directed at an individual, so if you feel it doesn't apply to you, then it doesn't :p

I don't think you've over analyzed Chi before, at least none that I can recall.

Also, it's not just the dislike of Chi as a character. That distaste would equal the distaste people have for any other character.
The problem is the AMOUNT of Chi. Imagine being forced to watch Him bitch about his severed claw for 5 pages, before finally deciding to go out and find a way to fix it.

As for anime, I've only seen To Aru Majutsu no Index as an example of an acceptable harem, but even that one has a couple annoying ticks.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Gizmo » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:04 am

:ogle: I'm like, really focused on the pink.
My hands can do what they do for a reason. I'm talking about art, people.
http://doujinshidreamer.deviantart.com/
the one who was born purely out of awesomeness.

Location: On the floor thinking of what else to do with my hands besides draw...no luck yet.

Postby Exodis » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:22 am

That sounds so wrong...
I approve.
The Universal Swordsman

Postby Krest » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:24 pm

Tenshi Nova wrote:@Krest
That information is optimistic.
We're not underestimating her, you're overestimating her.
In the series thus far, Mimi hasn't been able pull out powers like that.
The closest we had to that was when she threw a house.

Exactly how many times have we seen her fight? And in those times, was she ever at her full power? I don't think so. Remember that she always fights dirty - so power levels don't really have anything to do with her fighting potential. You can't really say that's talent. In the battle between experience and cheating, cheating wins.

Postby Megadon » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:49 pm

@Krest
Actually cheating only has a 41% chance of winning depending on the type of comic. And as for her powers; all we've seen from her since she became a demon are the follow: Matter Creation (creating objects out of nothing), Super-Human Agility and Strength, Teleportation, and a Demon Scream. But she mostly uses these abilities 60% of the time on instinct. Where as against someone like Skulker, instinct just isn't enough to beat him.

Now as for the discussion about Chi. I have not decided on her what so ever. I see how Bleed has plans to change Chi's character throughout the story, but until then I'm remain neutral about her. I like the few powers and creativity she displays, but dislike her constant princess/poster girl attitude. But that attitude is slowly changing. So until we have a complete feel of the full (complete) Chi character, I'm reserving my full judgment and remain neutral about her.
I'm cured, mostly.

Postby Tenshi Nova » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:03 pm

Basing her powers on the invasion of GrimSkull.
Assuming that Mimi planned some what ahead, having Jeff in mind, her battle prowess was well showcased.

Then her battle with Mina(I think), had her in a more playful mood.

In all honesty, if Mimi started to pull Puff powers, I'm done discussing GT for some time.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Darkingdomhearts » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:39 pm

Back to the Chi subject again. I'm one of those people who's kinda neutral on Chi right now. I like her because she is different from the other characters, almost being Yandere-like, that is what comes closest to her in my opinion. Mimi is more Tsundere if I may say, also because she is mute, but then she's being seductive but quickly turns that around. Minnie is a Yangire, I think.

However Chi also has a nice potential background story. I like characters who almost are made to be hated. For example in an anime I would like Chi very much. However what I don't like is that we have been focused so much on her, and also Mimi for that matter. But she was a nice new addition to the main characters.
CHECK OUT THE SNAFU COMICS WIKI

Postby Tenshi Nova » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:55 pm

Himedere!
Perfect fit. Spoiled. Greedy. Can't handle being told no. Omnicompetent. Wealthy.
Eventually going to gain her epiphany event.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Updates and News!