Time to mix it up

Discuss new comics, posts, and news directly from the Snafu-Comics main page!

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Time to mix it up

Postby Blood Lord » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:50 pm

Bull shit. It's reasonably fine to expect quite a bit from fanfiction. I've read fanfiction stories that were better written than novels I've read.

It's the skills of the person that make the content acceptable or not, not the classification of the story.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby ULTRADJ » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:15 pm

Oh yeah, we shouldn't expect much since it's just fan fiction. It's not a story with art and effort put into it shouldn't be great. It's not like when you create a story you put your heart and soul into it so people can enjoy. If he doesn't try, then why are we reading this damn comic in the first place!? I do expect a good story, even if it is fan fiction, not to mention the fact that this and PPGD got awards in the past for being awesome web comics, so some effort had to be put in it.
ari-6 wrote:I am sure the overwhelming majority of them actually do regard this man as a "genius" who could not possibly be faulted.

If he's a genius, then I'm Einstein. Like a said before, he's a bad ass artists, but like all people, he has his faults and things he isn't good at, like story telling. I'll admit I have some faults too, but don't sit there and tell me you do not expect to read a good story because it's just fan fiction. Why wouldn't you want to read a good story in the first place? Just for the lols? I don't think so.
Just Rockin

Postby Blood Lord » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:36 pm

ULTRADJ wrote:we shouldn't expect much since it's just fan fiction.

No, like I just said and that you just expounded upon, it isn't the classification of the story, but in the skill of the creator where the fault or the success lies.

A fanfiction story can be better than a published novel - sometimes even better than the original work. It's the skill the creator has in pulling it off which causes the expectation. Bleed has skill in drawing, not writing so he gets someone to help him, who isn't that skilled in writing either. the fault of GT doesn't come from its classification as fanfiction but the quality and skill that the writer (NEK) is making.

Ever hear of the phrase "don't judge a book by its cover"? Same thing applies here, you cannot judge a book on being good or bad based on the classifications and appearance alone. Note that doesn't save it from being interesting to you or not, which is different from being a bad or good book. Exact same principle applies to fanfiction, you can't like or hate it based on its classification alone. You have to make that call with the content.

So GT isn't being ripped or ignored because its fanfiction, its because the content as degraded significantly within the last year.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby ULTRADJ » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:02 pm

I know, I expect a better story from the writers since the first arc of when GT started was so awesome. The greatness has gone very low throughout the years. I was being sarcastic on my statement you quoted, unless you knew and were just raising a point, then I'm sorry for doubting you. My apologies. Most of what I did type still stands though, yours too.
Just Rockin

Postby OrangeBee » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:10 pm

whoa whoa

I just meant it as a joke.
THE OFFICIAL SHITPOSTER

Exodis: Image us as the Camelot, the guy going as a troll/Krest, and Hiroko as... the bunny.
ShitPoster

Postby Krest » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:16 pm

It's not just GT.

DeviantArt was the birth of many great authors. Its literary quality dropped in favor of artistic quality. And the fanfiction authors of the net gave up alongside.
Sleep With Neil Patrick Harris

Postby Blood Lord » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:52 pm

DA is a terrible place for fanfiction.

ULTRADJ wrote:I know, I expect a better story from the writers since the first arc of when GT started was so awesome.

You had different writers.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Havoc » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:46 am

I don't know what to think with NEK and Bleed anymore. I don't know who's to blame, if they're both to blame, who to blame more, or whatever the fuck. I don't think it even matters, since neither one will come here and talk to us. All I know is this comic has gone to shit. I agree with Guardian. The fact that it's a fanfic should dictate its overall quality.

ULTRADJ wrote: I also agree that even those still mildly interested in the comic are only sticking around to see the time split or to see if any other heroes survived, but I think those two should just be dropped altogether, like a time split never happened. At all. And who cares about the heroes at this point? Obviously the authors don't.

Regarding the heroes: I FUCKING CARE! For the love of God, 80 to 90% of the hooks in this story revolve around them. But I'm starting to feel like it's simply not worth at this point. Especially if the story doesn't address them every now and then. It creates a feeling of frustration and despair.

ULTRADJ wrote:That will be and is one of his downfalls. I also read somewhere that he isn't a good story teller either, so combine that with not caring about his fans, he looses all popularity because his fans are done putting up with his jackassery. Bleed, you're a bad ass artist, I'll give you that much, outside from that...just stick to being an artist and nothing else. You need to listen to your fans, positive and negative responses. These will improve your story, along with your ideas that might be good. Do all that and you will be successful. Ignore your fans and have bad ideas that won't work, you'll fall very quickly. Communication is key, be it other authors, fans to your works, or even people close to you, that is one of many factors that makes a good story.

Since no one here pays Bleedman, I feel there's not a whole fuck lot we can do about what's happening here. I think he's perfectly capable of getting away with whatever the fuck he wants.

@ari-6: Goddamn, ari. Not that I disagree with you or anything, but I didn't expect such a blunt statement like that coming from you. It seem totally out of character. :O
But regardless; I feel you're right about all of that. For awhile now, the phrase I keep coming back to is "Ivory Tower".
User No. 24602
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Krest » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:21 pm

Guardian wrote:DA is a terrible place for fanfiction.

It is NOW.

And someone should pay Bleedman for this. Does he have a Donation page? He should make one.

Postby Hallow Nova » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:25 pm

@Havoc
I think it's in character :U
Plus being blunt is for the best, maybe the writer(s) can learn a thing or two.

@Krest
Funny. Getting donations from hyped up kids with money. Not going to do shit for the story.
They'll start thinking that they're doing a good job based off the donations, and if the revenue stops/slows it'd still wouldn't mean anything to them since they're already getting zilch.
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby ari-6 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:51 pm

I feel a couple of people took offence to what I said before. Sorry about that, I suppose I was too blunt or perhaps I spoke out of turn.
ari-6 wrote:If I had to make a general assumption based on most of the bleed fans I have seen, I do not credit them as being all that intelligent. I am sure the overwhelming majority of them actually do regard this man as a "genius" who could not possibly be faulted.
I just wanted to point out that I was not talking about anyone here when I said that. The fact that you actually discuss things is proof of the contrary. I mainly meant allot of the fans I see on DA but I guess I did let my mood get the better of me
Krest wrote:Wow Ari. That's harsh.

Having a bad day?

I agree with you, Orange. We shouldn't expect too much from fanfiction.
Harsh? Really, I'm sorry if you felt insulted. But I think you are very wrong. The quality of a fanfic, like anything, depends on it's creator. Saying the fact that it is fanfiction means there is little to expect from quality is like saying you don't expect anything from many aspiring authors that already have the skills to be successful. Isn't there a saying that only 10% of something is decent, or something along those lines?
ULTRADJ wrote:but don't sit there and tell me you do not expect to read a good story because it's just fan fiction
I do not actually believe I said that. I just think too many people make the mistake of confusing a good illustrator with a genius (This is especially true on DA)
Havoc wrote:@ari-6: Goddamn, ari. Not that I disagree with you or anything, but I didn't expect such a blunt statement like that coming from you. It seem totally out of character. :O
But regardless; I feel you're right about all of that. For awhile now, the phrase I keep coming back to is "Ivory Tower".
I can be blunt when I wish to I guess, but too many times I fell I went too far and said something I should not have.
Some people shouldn't have an imagination. They just abuse it.
Im Making This Up As I Go

Postby Krest » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:07 pm

ari-6 wrote:Harsh? Really, I'm sorry if you felt insulted. But I think you are very wrong. The quality of a fanfic, like anything, depends on it's creator. Saying the fact that it is fanfiction means there is little to expect from quality is like saying you don't expect anything from many aspiring authors that already have the skills to be successful. Isn't there a saying that only 10% of something is decent, or something along those lines?

When a person builds off of another's work, you just plain can't expect the result to be perfect. I know that there are many great fanfictions out there. I just said that no one should EXPECT a fanfiction to be good, especially when nowadays many authors use fanfiction to begin their writing career.

--

Need a hug? :O

Postby ari-6 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:16 pm

Hmm? Aren't you aware of my aversion to touching of any kind?

Of course you could not expect everything to be excellent all the time but the way you said "shouldn't expect too much from fanfics" just made it sound like you can't expect much because it is an inferior medium. Sorry if I mistook your meaning.

Postby Hallow Nova » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:47 pm

I think ari's bluntness is a good thing :3

Also, I do expect fanfics to be good. I don't see a single reason for why I shouldn't.

This is a bit off topic, so let's continue this elsewhere shall we? viewtopic.php?p=3467968#p3467968
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby ULTRADJ » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:15 pm

Krest wrote:
Guardian wrote:DA is a terrible place for fanfiction.

It is NOW.

And someone should pay Bleedman for this. Does he have a Donation page? He should make one.

I think people pay him on DA to do pics they requested on him. I'm pretty sure I saw it on his DA page.
Just Rockin

Postby Sigment » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:12 pm

Those are called commissions. And yes, he gets paid for those. Now let's get back on topic.

I wonder if Mimi was in Aku's realm with Him's permission. He may not have planned for Mimi saving Chi. Then again, maybe He did. He's still at the top of my list of potential clients that Skulker's working for. He may have hired him for the sole purpose of getting Mimi to rescue Chi, earning a bit more trust with Aku. I can't say it's the most likely scenario, but I feel like the man gambles with his decisions at times.
"Stick around... I'm full of bad ideas." -Isaac Clarke
"You've chosen your Answer. Now see it through." -Serene Haze
Gizmo - You're always awesome Sig. DON'T 4get that.

Check out my literary comic: Kurosai Chronicles!
The Resident Smartass

Postby ari-6 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:14 pm

Yes, it is called commission and it is his primary source of income if I am not mistaken. Like all professional illustrators, his primary motivation is monetary gain after all.

edit: Sorry Sig, didn't see you there. Yeah, If I had to guess, I would say there would be some twist where HIM set it up to get Aku on his side. Or maybe this whole story line will be used to introduce Walker into the story.

Postby Fan_the_Flames » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:29 pm

If HIM really did set up the events in this flashback by sending Mimi there and hiring Skulker to kidnap Chi, thus giving Aku a hatred of ghosts, as well as giving HIM and Aku a connection for a potential alliance, I'm going to be really annoyed. HIM may have been smart and planning in the majority of his PPG episodes, but this is on a whole different level. It would be reaching a level of Xanatos Gambit I don't think I've seen in a long time.

All I'm hoping is that the next page is the last page of this "battle". To be honest this is all it needs, even if they do a "Some time later" sort of thing to jump ahead.

Postby ari-6 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:43 pm

If Mimi was going to win then I can see it being a curb stop battle. But I want Skulker to win. And if Skulker was going to win, it isn't believable that it would happen in only a page

Postby Havoc » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:37 am

ari-6 wrote:I can be blunt when I wish to I guess, but too many times I fell I went too far and said something I should not have.

No offence, but given you timid nature; it just caught me off guard, that's all. lol Moving on:

ari-6 wrote:If Mimi was going to win then I can see it being a curb stop battle. But I want Skulker to win. And if Skulker was going to win, it isn't believable that it would happen in only a page

Mimi taking Skulker out without problem using things such as kitchen suppies, follows the quaky nature of this comic. Although I enjoy the comic's sense of humor, Mimi losing to Skulker makes for a far more interesting story. It's as simple as that. I'm sorta torn here: I want this flashback to be over asap, but at the same time, I want to see both sides put up a good fight. I'm hoping for some sort of middle ground.

What I want to see is: Mimi and Skulker fight, Mimi finding out he's too strong, and then she somehow escapes either by creating a distraction herself, or some sort of third party will come in and divert Skulkers attention. I'm also hoping that Skulker will get a call from his employer one this fight is over; foreshadowing things to come and maybe even revile who hired him or at least give us a hit. However my hopes are exactly high at this point.

Sigment wrote:I wonder if Mimi was in Aku's realm with Him's permission. He may not have planned for Mimi saving Chi. Then again, maybe He did. He's still at the top of my list of potential clients that Skulker's working for. He may have hired him for the sole purpose of getting Mimi to rescue Chi, earning a bit more trust with Aku. I can't say it's the most likely scenario, but I feel like the man gambles with his decisions at times.

Although that's a very plausible theory, I'm kinda hoping this isn't true. I want the plot to be a bit more expansive and than that. I want there to be some sort of mysterious third party, or hell; even a fourth party. I feel like the plot is too narrow at this point.
User No. 24602
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby rock2161 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:22 pm

Seems plausible to me. As I said before, I think Mimi's really just out of her weight class here. Best bet is to grab Chi and run.

On the other topic, try to remember that while it is reasonable to look at popular fanfiction and expect good, or even great things... it's online, and free. This is something he makes by himself, and puts on a webpage. Just keep in mind that you have a lot less of a right to complain... when you're not paying anything for it. If you were spending money, or driving/walking somewhere to pick it up, maybe, but as it is...
When life gives you lemons, make apple juice, and laugh while everyone else tries to figure out what the hell you just did.

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? You're a mile away, and you have his shoes.

Previous

Return to Comic Updates and News!