New Grim Tales Comic: "Bet you have this ringtone"

Discuss new comics, posts, and news directly from the Snafu-Comics main page!

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: New Grim Tales Comic:

Postby DarkKing » Thu May 30, 2013 5:21 pm

I wonder if Mimi will start using her telepathic abilities again now that her other powers are gone.
"The ones who do what they want and
enjoy the most of their lives are the
ones who win in the end."

- Charlie Staz
Bow to Greatness

Postby MERASMUS! » Thu May 30, 2013 5:23 pm

Years of torture and psychological damage make me think otherwise.
Owner of the Bombinomicon

Postby IcyBoomer » Thu May 30, 2013 5:37 pm

Ugh that Harlem Shake ringtone made me bust a move for a moment but then when I saw Chi, I was all like :eek: and stopped.
Darkness is Light

Postby ari-6 » Thu May 30, 2013 5:37 pm

Well I guess this explains the legs/ shadowy tendrils thing. She has some powers she just can't control them yet. Hooray! Mystery solved. I can sleep peacefully tonight.
Im Making This Up As I Go

Postby Xi-1 » Thu May 30, 2013 8:41 pm

Eh. The last time Mimi was human we didn't get any indication that she had any powers. We didn't know about them at the time either, however she probably would have used them if she could have. She didn't, so perhaps they really are gone.

Please read the following purely as me being curious. I do not mean anything serious by it: Really, Blood Lord? You jumped on my comments for that and ignored the "when is he not?' part? Were you distracted by something, perhaps? I have said more before and you have ignored my remarks. Why not now?
A Page Flipper

Postby yessi » Thu May 30, 2013 10:47 pm

I never thought Chi would be that furious just because Mimi won't answer...

Postby Blood Lord » Thu May 30, 2013 10:54 pm

Xi-1 wrote: "when is he not?' part?

What do you want me to get out of the "when is he not" part? The assumption that this individual is constantly tangled up in some sort of diabolical scheme of which every single action he performs is carefully calculated to have a control and intended reaction? It's a phone on a desk. There is as much scheming in that as what he choose to have his desk made out of.

Xi-1 wrote:Were you distracted by something, perhaps?

Regarding your last remarks? Regretfully yes. I usually try to keep a tight eye on the comic threads, but my moderator duties have me doing other things for the site at the current time. Sorry if I caused offense. But most people take my posts that way these days.

Xi-1 wrote:I have said more before and you have ignored my remarks. Why not now?

Do you want me to ignore you? Most of your remarks I don't have anything to say towards and generally agree with them. They are interesting comments that have some range of thought, though possibility of actually happening is rather small. It keeps the mind engaged with other things. Why? Did I offend you in some sort of manner?

Xi-1 wrote:Eh. The last time Mimi was human we didn't get any indication that she had any powers. We didn't know about them at the time either, however she probably would have used them if she could have. She didn't, so perhaps they really are gone.

There are two possibilities that I'm seeing here. The symbiote either blankets her powers with different ones, or alters them when in use. So her powers are still intact, just either placed aside or funneled into a different source. Perhaps then her powers either take some time to reactivate and turn back on, or they are permanently damaged by the long exposure to the symbiote and she no longer has them and/or maintains a trace of it.

You could also factor in the emotional, physical, and mental scaring Him did to her and that alone could have wiped her powers out.

Postby Krest » Thu May 30, 2013 10:56 pm

yessi wrote:I never thought Chi would be that furious just because Mimi won't answer...

"Cause they'll market this song to young, impressionable, and insecure teenage girls..." - Pop Song, Jon Lajoie

She's a girl. Going through that time in life. And you didn't think she'd be that emotionally unstable?
Last edited by Krest on Thu May 30, 2013 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sleep With Neil Patrick Harris

Postby CrimsonCreed » Thu May 30, 2013 10:56 pm

Xi-1 wrote:Eh. The last time Mimi was human we didn't get any indication that she had any powers. We didn't know about them at the time either, however she probably would have used them if she could have. She didn't, so perhaps they really are gone.

Actually one of her powers is that of precognition or future-sight, which is linked to telepathic abilities. Unfortunately her powers are linked only to those who intend on committing evil deeds who's abilities are meta-human from what we know and with the help of Dexter's invention she is pretty much like a listening post able to detect Romulans under cloak. (yes i pulled a Star Trek moment but it does fit the description of what I am trying to say) But I wonder if her ability has shifted or been trained in some way so she is able to predict events that are personal in nature to Mimi.
Nothing is true Everything is permmited

Postby Blood Lord » Thu May 30, 2013 11:03 pm

Wouldn't she be predicting her own movements then?

Postby Krest » Thu May 30, 2013 11:04 pm

Blood Lord wrote:There is as much scheming in that as what he choose to have his desk made out of.

I doubt that desk is just normal wood. HIM probably killed millions in the same spot so a Bloodwood tree would grow, and made the desk out of that.
Sleep With Neil Patrick Harris

Postby RasenOo » Fri May 31, 2013 12:01 am

Man, I have the strangest feeling that I've seen that sort of creature before somewhere....a show? Maybe a japanese demon? Can anyone help me out here, cause' I'm seriously thinking of SOMETHING here....

Postby Dr. Mandalor » Fri May 31, 2013 11:25 am

So what would you people like to see in the next page? We get to see what's going on at Castle Grimskull, or we see the flame blue head run faster than flash to find Mimi's phone? Because i fine with either or, but i wouldn't mind a page showing what the grims are doing.
Spread a little Chaos
Let Chaos Rule

Location: Making past and present a hell of a lot more interesting

Postby supreamDKJ » Fri May 31, 2013 11:38 am

If we do finally get to see what the grims are doing i'm sure that the first thing we see will be mini plotting to get rid of mimi or an awkward dinner scene with mimi and the grims.
natsu dragneel for life

Postby Sigment » Fri May 31, 2013 1:48 pm

Well, likely they'll continue with details on Chi's new... uh... look before they move on to what's happening at Castle Grim. But here's my question: exactly how much time has passed since the end of the last chapter? Days? Weeks? A month?
"Stick around... I'm full of bad ideas." -Isaac Clarke
"You've chosen your Answer. Now see it through." -Serene Haze
Gizmo - You're always awesome Sig. DON'T 4get that.

Check out my literary comic: Kurosai Chronicles!
The Resident Smartass

Postby Darkingdomhearts » Fri May 31, 2013 5:34 pm

Maybe this comic will end the same way as in School Days... no it probably won't they all have special abilities. Talking about special abilities, I think that now Mimi is in her human form again she can use her telekinesis and psychokinesis powers again. They were probably disabled duo to the devil essence that instead gave her summoning powers.
CHECK OUT THE SNAFU COMICS WIKI

Postby Dr. Mandalor » Fri May 31, 2013 5:58 pm

Sigment Kurosai wrote:Well, likely they'll continue with details on Chi's new... uh... look before they move on to what's happening at Castle Grim. But here's my question: exactly how much time has passed since the end of the last chapter? Days? Weeks? A month?

Start of this chapter i recall that Chi texted that Mimi hasn't answered her in :?: 3 :?: days. So not that much time has passed.
Jeff is still a floating head in a cage, Him still looks badass, Mimi is human and handless, Minnie is pissed off at her brother, Jr. is probably getting bitten by Mimi, Grim is still spinless, and Mandy is still a major b*tch. So all things considered, just your average day in the underworld.
Spread a little Chaos
Let Chaos Rule

Location: Making past and present a hell of a lot more interesting

Postby ari-6 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:39 pm

Darkingdomhearts wrote:Maybe this comic will end the same way as in School Days...

Except Jr. cant be killed by decapitation so it wouldn't really end. I have a question about that though, if a main character died where would they go? Reapers cant be killed, Mandy is e'mortal, Minnie was going to heaven (you would assume Grim would make her e'mortal as well, guess he doesn't like her) but if someone else were to die wouldn't they just come back down. If Mimi died Him would do something about it, so I cant really think of a good example though. I was just thinking "It's hell, where are they going to go?"

Postby YesterdaysLingo » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:54 pm

Well, i assume no where (spiritually), we saw Him hang and decapitate Jeff and now he's a little wisp head... kinda like demongo i guess...

But what you mentioned about Minnie got me thinking, why didn't Grim make her immortal? Did he feel the need not to since, honestly, who would want to fuck with the grim family?

A poor thought that I had is when another Reaper is brought into the world, they bear the responsibility of the generation they are born/brought into and later the generations to come until another reaper is brought into the picture.

food for thought I guess...
Flerp flerps

Location: That one place where those people live. You know the one.

Postby Blood Lord » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:11 pm

Grim didn't make anyone mortal, he just choose not to reap them. The only person he did make immortal was that Jack guy. Mandy is only alive because Grim doesn't want to reap her. Minnie though was reaped by Jr who had his father's powers and must have been unlocked when he was merged with the Nergal Demon.

Postby Deadpool94 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:19 am

She almost looks like the cameleon guy on Monsters Inc. Or a human kamoto dragon.
Ya know why I love the Internet? Cause its just like me.
Vulgar, combative and contradictory?
Overflowing with perversion and stupidity?!
Yes and yes. -All three Deadpool
Sniff Ah I love the smell of pancakes in the morning.

Postby Xi-1 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:16 am

@Blood Lord: I wouldn't expect HIM to scheme any less than Jarlaxle (of the Legend of Drizzt series) or Sousuke Aizen (of Bleach), both of whom are (at least at some point) mortal and possess lesser power. So yes, I have a preference toward expecting something from HIM, rather than expecting nothing. I guess that's why HIM's sincerity about not getting Chi involved due to her lack of powers stymied me.

No, nothing personal or offensive. Certainly in light of your Mod'ing duties, with which I can only wish you the best of luck (although I know that people are, generally, idiotic).

Now, to the other comments.

The puzzle of how Mimi's powers work, and whether they can allow for the other to function like different modes would be an interesting one to solve. Assuming we can eventually get all the pieces to that puzzle, and there are corner and edge pieces. Because there is nothing more evil than a puzzle without corner and edge pieces. I really hadn't thought of HER's powers being symbiotic, though. I was thinking more along the lines of full demonic possession. But does that even make sense, given the image we got of her claws falling off?

Assuming there were two Mimi's, one in each form, I suppose human!Mimi could track and predict HER!Mimi and her movements. But they never exist at the same time. If, however, Mimi's predictive powers are still functioning and she can control them properly, she should be able to track and predict all of the Underworld rulers except for Grim, who can't really be said to be evil, and Mandy, who does not have any supernatural powers but is pretty much evil incarnate.

Chi's transformation kind of reminds me of the wormy demons from Spawn, which have also appeared in this comic.

Minnie was mortal until she died. Now she's more like Junior, right? Hard, but not impossible, to kill. That's my opinion, anyway.
A Page Flipper

Postby Darkingdomhearts » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:57 pm

ari-6 wrote:
Darkingdomhearts wrote:Maybe this comic will end the same way as in School Days...

Except Jr. cant be killed by decapitation so it wouldn't really end. I have a question about that though, if a main character died where would they go? Reapers cant be killed, Mandy is e'mortal, Minnie was going to heaven (you would assume Grim would make her e'mortal as well, guess he doesn't like her) but if someone else were to die wouldn't they just come back down. If Mimi died Him would do something about it, so I cant really think of a good example though. I was just thinking "It's hell, where are they going to go?"

I think they will go to Mu. I take Death Note for an example, the ones who used the Death Note can't go to heaven nor hell so they will go to Mu, which means nothingness, and they will be trapped there forever. It is also the place Rem went (who is a Dead God) after she died.

But being immortal means that you won't die a natural death. You will live on forever in the form you wish to life (except for Minnie who is trapped in a custom body. And Mina who became a vampire). They still can be killed. If you grab Grim Jr's head and smash it against a rock, causing it to break, then I'm certain he is dead too.
CHECK OUT THE SNAFU COMICS WIKI

Postby ari-6 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:19 pm

OK so e'mortal was a bad way to put it, now that I'm thinking about this, Jeff is a wisp head but before that was he dead or alive in the underworld, if he was alive how could HIM hang and kill Jeff if he's not a reaper? is it the scythe that matters or does Him just have power over souls in his possession? I would guess the later because I think it was established that taking souls out of bodies being a reaper power. Death is confusing when the series is set in the underworld, is it possible to make someone deader than dead by destroying their soul or something? I think they should have set some guidelines for being dead earlier (or maybe they explained it very clearly and I just wasn't paying attention, I think that was the case for a lot of the earlier pages) but they only just recently tried to establish a kind of map.

Postby Blood Lord » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:29 pm

I'm going to guess that there are one of two things that happened here. The first is that Jeff is alive, and Him has a significant amount of power in his own realm. I'm going to guess also, based on what happened with Minnie, that Him and Mimi both have the power to influence souls in their realm. The issue with this is that there realm seemed to have been the place of trials and temptations, at the end of which they were set free if they succeed. I'm willing to bet that Him and Mimi didn't let that happen very often. But I'm going off track.

I don't think Him killed Jeff, but tore his soul from the body and then mutilated the body. He might have killed him and then took the soul, but I would have thought that Grim would have been alerted to that like how he was with Minnie when she died.

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Updates and News!