The Inspiration of James...

Discuss new comics, posts, and news directly from the Snafu-Comics main page!

Moderator: Mod Squad

Postby Alex » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:13 pm

I am holed up in my rabbit-cave and immersed in my own world of extra appendages, lost children, blood and insomnia so much that I miss a lot of amazing and inspiring art that swims around on the internet.
However, one of my favorite illustrators (and in my opinion one of the best alive), JAMES JEAN, just opened a new solo show entitled "KINDLING" at the Jonathan Levine Gallery in New York the other day, and it blew me off of my feet.

"The TOY MAKER" By James Jean.

My jaw disconnected itself from its ligaments, fell to the floor, and i blindly stepped on it out of pure awe of his new work. I wish I could see it in person. Things like this both anger and inspire me out of pure admiration of talent. Where as a lot of artists that I stumble upon blow me away the first few times I see their work, a majority of them seem to teeter off and become repetitive, which numbs my eyes to the actual craftsmanship of the art. James, on the other hand, continues to be so far ahead of anything I can even imagine, in both style, narrative, and execution.
If you're not familiar with his work, do your eyes and heart a favor and go take a look at HIS WEBSITE.

And while I am on the subject of inspiration, here is a list and links to 12 of my favorite illustrators that, over the last 10 years, have consistently driven me to keep trying to evolve and learn. Whether its technical talent, passion, originality, imagination, or sheer emotion, I dream about one day being half as good any of these artists:

1. JON WAYSHAK
scrapbookmanifesto.com

2. SAM KIETH

3. JAMES JEAN

4. GREG CRAOLA SIMKINS

5. GRIS GRIMLY

6. TOMER HANUKA

7. DAVID CHOE

8. AARON HORKEY

9. SKINNER DAVIS

10. PAUL POPE

11. WAYNE BARLOWE

12. GEOF DARROW

HOPE YOU ENJOYED THEM AS MUCH AS I HAVE.
WORD.

Re: The Inspiration of James...

Postby Billsthename » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:59 am

nice work, nice detail, nice imagination. but im creeped out by this type of work. its one of those artist things that i have where i feel angry at work i see for no reason becuz there is some hidden emotion in me that says i have to hate it. But its good non the less.
I looked for the perfect name for me and I found one no one used... most people didn't use anyway. So a name with Bill that showed who I was and so Billsthename will be the only name of me!

Postby Demon Lizardman » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:18 pm

All right, these are pretty nice pics.
Now to get these distubing visions outta my head.

Postby Miracle-Angel » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:38 pm

I really like the ones by Gris Grimly, Tomer Hanuka and Geof Darrow.

I also love Craola; he's been one of my favorite artist for a long while now.

Postby Aliot » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:35 pm

quite disturbing all of them, are you really sure that you dont have nightmares whit all this stuff?
If life gives you the back, Grab his ass!

]I've Got a Jar of Dirt! I've Got a Jar of Dirt! I've Got a Jar of Dirt! And guess what's inside it!

Return to Comic Updates and News!