want to install linux, need help

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

want to install linux, need help

Postby yalborap2 » Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:15 pm

Okay folks, most of you know what linux is. Now, I've been looking around at various versions of linux, and have found that while it doesn't do some things as well as I would like, it is very functional overall. unfortunately, one runs into a problem: my computer hates linux. I'm using a dell inspiron 600m, and last few times I tried linux I encountered the following problems:wiped the hard drive(my fault.), wouldn't let me get online. now, not getting online is one hell of a problem. I LIVE online. hence, I come to you good people: please point me to a tutorial that makes the process of making this damn computer run something other than XP, alongside XP.

Location: Within the hellish flames known as southern california

Postby devenfore » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:18 pm

http://www.linuxiso.org/ For your Distro. needs. For people new to linux I rec. Suse or Mandrake. :) Get the latest version for whateve distro you DL, and you shouldbe pretty much set. It should detect your hardware just fine. If not there are TONS of info. online in forums and such. I would recomend posting this kind of a thread in a Linux forum though. Not a comic forum.

As far as installing linux along-side of XP, just install XP first. (I have my files all backed up on a 1/2 terabyte Tux-Server, so I format almost every reinstall). After you install Xp, then install Linux, I would look on a linux forum for more help as far as partitioning your HD when you install Linux to run both XP and Linux. It depends on what you are going to do with it. Also, you may want to install it on an entirely seperate HD. But for more information, you really should go to a forum / FAQ page that is based around Linux and not a web-Comic.

:) Hope that helps... If it doesnt...

RTFM.
Your exquisite wife and mother,
Fills me with the urge to defecate! - Pink Floyd

Postby HaloGray » Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:47 pm

Take a peak at Dave's thread on installing Linux
viewtopic.php?t=3142

Specifically, this post:
Halo wrote:If you want to screw around with Linux then don't make it your only operating system. It doesn't support a lot of windows programs because... they're windows programs. It can emulate them but just about everything in linux takes a degree of tinkering. When you feel like browsing the web and messaging boot into Linux, but when you feel like getting some work done boot into Windows.

If you want a 'stupid proof' distrobution to try out I've been hearing a lot of good things about Ubuntu. I use Arch myself but that wouldn't be for you... it installs with no graphics system at all. You basically build it from the ground up and that requires hours of hair pulling and reading through the manual. In the end you only use exactly what you need, but it took me about a week of configurations to play around with that.

When you install Ubuntu the first thing you want to do is get a copy of Crossover office. It makes installing various windows programs (Dreamweaver MX, Photoshop 7) a point and click process. Just because they run... it doesn't mean they run 100% perfect. So it's still wise to use XP and Linux instead of JUST linux.

You'll need to reinstall XP again. When the option to format comes along you'll want to delete all partitions. Then make your windows partition smaller than the full size of the drive. Leave about 10-15gb blank for Linux. Then install Ubuntu. It should ask you where to install and if you want to dual boot with Windows. When everything is installed, on boot you'll get the option of booting Windows or Linux, and you can have the best of both worlds.

Postby zepherin » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:39 pm

Go with something user friendly. Suse is nice because it's only one cd. Make sure you get the linux drivers squirreled away on a cd. Mandrake's install is nice and shiney, easy to install over windows, uses the directorys already there.
Zeph do you ever tire of being perfect? ~Dave
Zeph is still awesome though. ~Rival
I love you so much right now Zeph. ~Yoshi
I love you Zeph. You and your simple yet humorous topic-breakers. ~Coos
Zeph has left me inspired. ~Mathias
Zeph is so awesome even soulless bits of binary worship him. ~Wizard
Curse YOU ZEPH! CURSE YOU! ~JesusChrist
WE ARE SORRY THAT WE ARE NOT AS PERFECT AS YOU, ZEPH! ~Stufflikehearts
Zepherin for forum queen and writer of the best seller "how to screw your brethen up for dummies". ~ The Mirak

Re: want to install linux, need help

Postby Guardian » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:08 pm

This is not the current thread for the latest PpGD comic update. We are experiencing error's with our systems and our administrators are working on a solution.

Please go here if you want to comment more on the page: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=56528
“Salvation comes with a cost. Judge us not by our methods, but by what we seek to accomplish.”

"To punish and enslave..."
Semper Vigilans

Return to Snafu General Discussion