Manga Vs Anime

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

What's your favourite? Manga or Anime?

Manga
54%
Anime
46%

Total votes : 13

Manga Vs Anime

Postby Chaz » Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:55 pm

Ok, I've seen this topic on many other forums, but I haven't seen it here. (Plus I'm not looking through 129 pages of topics just to make sure you have! :snoogins: )

Number of Questions:
1) What do you think is better, Manga or Anime? Why?
2) We all know that a lot of Animes don't follow the Manga (or visa versa). Why do you think that is?
3) Does it annoy you when the storylines of anime/manga changes?

As for me...
1) Manga for me, since it it usually the original story from the Anime to be based on. Therefore it's not cut to pieces (like Bluewater's dubbing on Dragonball) and the story tends to be longer than the series.
2) Cuz the Directors cant be asrsed with the Manga storyline? (kidding) Nah, they must change the storyline because the story is different, therefore more people would want to buy it to find out WHAT'S different about it. Which means more £££/$$$ or whatever...
3)Yes! It bloody well does!! It changes how some of the characters are, half the events that are ment to happen dont (like on Love Hina, they don't go to the 2nd Pararakalese area), and for me, it just kills the show.
"Well Grease me down and call me Slick! It is You!"
"I've been expecting you. Been dreaming of you like a Lovesick Lesbian." - Ukitsu (Battle Vixen/Ikki Tousen Manga)

Legally Insane, and Proud of it!

Re: Manga Vs Anime

Postby Shockro » Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:12 pm

Manga, because when things are animated, they normally cut out alot of stuff from the manga (like when they make movies out of books) Thats all I'm saying you silly little new person, welcome to the forums
Last edited by Shockro on Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Cole » Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:26 pm

shut your fucking mouth, shockro. don't even try and pull the, "I'm cooler than you because I've been here longer," shit. the only thing you're better than is some of the soap scum in my shower.
His first fucking post is a hell of a lot better than yours was.
I am what you think I am. My reality is irrelevant.
Warning: My Misogynism level two has upgraded to Misanthropy level four.

Postby Shockro » Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:27 pm

Dude, alls I did was welcome him to the forums with my "new person" thing. People who just came here are just as equal as you or I Cole

Postby Slick » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:12 pm

Anime because the expresions are alot funnier and the voices add to it. But Manga does show stuff that anime doesn't, so I don't know

And don't mind Cole, he has his moments ;)

Postby Dave » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:21 pm

Totally Anime, Fighting is LAME in comic forum. Always has been always will be. And I find anime since it's made second they take what worked and remove what didn't work from the manga and tweak it until it's better. On top of that Manga is usually black and white which is mega downside in my mind.
WiNg0o wrote:To be honest I thought Dave just existed. In the beginning there was Dave.
Administrator

Postby 3darkhunter » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:30 pm

manga since they have the original story instead from the anime which take a lot of things out -.-
I think they take out the parts in the manga because they dont have enough time/space, or just butt plaing old lazy
yes it does annoy me... like garry potter but i understood why for harry potter was a really long book

Anime because the expresions are alot funnier and the voices add to it.

ya it is pretty kewl when u have a favorite manga to be shown in anime with voices and expressions =D

Totally Anime, Fighting is LAME in comic forum. Always has been always will be. And I find anime since it's made second they take what worked and remove what didn't work from the manga and tweak it until it's better. On top of that Manga is usually black and white which is mega downside in my mind.

aint that the truth fighting in mangas isnt as good in anime for i think its set on the story plot. tweaking in the manga is good and all but i dont really mind for if the author does his job then there really wont be ne tweaking, and the black and white is not to badfor color (like the Inuyasha mangas) i dont really like for me newayz

Added after 48 seconds:

garry
hehehe meant harry ^^;
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Bl48UzWcKrI

Its weird how some songs can be inspiring when its kinda suppose to be depressing x-x

Postby Shockro » Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:47 pm

Dave wrote:Totally Anime, Fighting is LAME in comic forum. Always has been always will be. And I find anime since it's made second they take what worked and remove what didn't work from the manga and tweak it until it's better. On top of that Manga is usually black and white which is mega downside in my mind.

See the problem is, I dont watch anime or read manga for the violence (I know, all the guys are thinking WHAT THE FUCK!? NO VIOLENCE FOR YOU?) well, I like the storyline and violence is the bonus.

Postby phrozen » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:50 pm

I wont vote because I like both equally. It totally depends on the series. for example: I hate the One Piece manga, I love the tv show. Some anime doesn't look good as manga. If I want action I'm going to watch anime, if i want comedy or drama I'm more likely to read the manga.

Postby Cole » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:59 pm

I prefer manga mainly because I prefer images and words over shiny pictures and the like.
as nice as some good anime is, I think exquisitely drawn works like lone wolf and cub can not be topped by cartoon work.
I am what you think I am. My reality is irrelevant.
Warning: My Misogynism level two has upgraded to Misanthropy level four.

Postby Lengeta » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:23 pm

Anime is better. They ususally wright the manga as script for the anime, but create it to pull in some Gs before they actually start their real work. Movies are often not done as well as a book has been, but a movie will always be better than the book if it's done right.

Postby Shockro » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:35 pm

I just like the cheaper ones (that is if it isnt downloadable), we trade manga we buy in the corner (what I call it) at school.

Postby Troggles » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:35 pm

The only reading I enjoy is subtitles. Anime gets the square.
booyakasha

Postby Verec » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:20 pm

Manga scres me up the way it's writen. I'm sorry but it's the truth, and I don't have to fork out quite as much to get my hands on Manga as I do to get Anime.(mainly cause I can mooch anime off of others)
"I saw it, there, in the sewers...for just a second. All hunched over, skin pale white beneath those rags...so many rags. The vermin crawled about his feet like idolaters at worship, and I swear that the wind drew breath in a frightened gasp at his passing. He wore cold like a cloak and I swear that behind that smiling golden mask he was laughing at me as his curved blade rose and fell, cutting through my men. It left wounds filled with crystals of salt...the screams...the screams...and the pants....Gods! The Pants!!!"
-Captain Urtin, who salted and ate his former soldiers.
"Jar-Jar you're a genius!"

Postby Kazuo Kiriyama » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:35 pm

For me it's always "whichever comes first is better" The FLCL anime came before the manga. The anime is better than the manga. Love Hina manga came before the anime did, the anime SUCKS. As for Azumanga daioh.... the anime is basically the manga, with different times for different events. It's pretty much the same thing

It all depends on the series.

Postby Cupramen » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:31 pm

Depends.

Like Naruto I like more manga form, and FLCL anime is better then the manga.
60 Tauren Shaman
Whisperwind
Vindicated

Suck it.

Postby Cascade » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:34 am

Now hold up. Some manga are better than the anime, like, for example, Samurai Deeper Kyo and X (Better than the movie, not the TV series.). And some anime series are better than the manga, like Evangelion, Trigun and Hellsing. I only like manga better because there is a manga version of Steel Ball Run and no anime version, as well as all the rest of the Jojo series. (That, by the way, flat out destroy all other action anime and manga on account of their bizzare nature, creativity, original artistic style, and musical references.)

But arguments occur in anime forums too. Also, anime sometimes actually compresses the artistic value of the manga into a simpler, more televisable form. Of course, it is in color, and in some cases that is a serious plus. But also, some series, like X, had a sort of artistic flourish, and this, as beautiful as the TV series was, could not totally be captured in the computer shaded cell. Every page is like a small mural or painting. And in some other cases, the anime and manga have virtually the same artistic quality and same plot. I believe, for example, that the Full Metal Alchemist Manga and Anime are of comparable quality. It really does depend on the show. And artistics are only one part of it. A lot of anime skips little plot segments that the mangaka could incorporate as flavor chapters or little interesting bits that made the comic what it was. On the flipside, anime has voice acting, which sometimes accentuates the tension or mood of the plot. Unless someone reads the manga to you, or you read it to yourself, which is, erh, kinda weird. But yeah, it's sort of difficult to just say if one is better than the other.

(EDIT) Oh you meant fighting is lame in comic FORM. Okay. Well I don't agree with that. Maybe you've not read Blade of the Immortal, Jojo's Bizzare Adventure, Hellsing or Samurai Deeper Kyo, but all of these mangas have very fun fight scenes. You can't say, of course, that the fight scene is fast paced or as fun to watch. But then again, they can't liberally recycle animations like DBZ or even Rurouni Kenshin in some episodes. The real challenge for a good artist is to catch the character in the moment of fighting, to convey the intensity and the power. Of course, if fighting is the biggest element of Japanese anime/manga to you, then of course anime is the natural choice.
FUKKATSU

Postby Dave » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:47 am

Cascade your being far too reasonable here.

Clearly I'm right.
WiNg0o wrote:To be honest I thought Dave just existed. In the beginning there was Dave.
Administrator

Postby Shockro » Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:02 am

Cupramen wrote:FLCL anime is better then the manga.

I bought that manga. If I didnt think I understood the show for a while, think about how long it took for me to understand the manga.

Postby Shebum Devi » Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:51 pm

Manga only because it's cheaper!
He's not having a seizure, he's just roffling. • Behind every great woman, there is an ass. • Fuck Salt! - Tourette's guy

Location: Where am I? Home... without the internets. Need to call comcast, but too lazy.

Postby 3darkhunter » Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:38 pm

never seen the samurai deeper kyo movies or epidsodes but it would be very nice to see them for its one of my favorite mangas =D
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Bl48UzWcKrI

Its weird how some songs can be inspiring when its kinda suppose to be depressing x-x

Postby phrozen » Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:14 pm

Kyo sucks. I never read the manga but I have been told its better. the anime was like watching a slightly better animated version of Kenshin. Same legend, dumb stuff added.

Postby Shockro » Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:31 pm

FLCL, one of the most annoyingly confusing manga's

Postby Lengeta » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:50 pm

FLCL is suppose to be confusing, that's what makes it so unique, most of it dosen't make sence.

Postby Mandy » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:55 pm

I actually understood the FLCL anime after I watched it twice. And I would prefer anime if CN wouldn't densor the gory and sexy stuff.

Next

Return to Snafu General Discussion