Snafu Gaming Talk Thread

100% GAMES! Use this forum to discuss any game in any context and to organize get-togethers, guilds, and tournaments with your fellow Snafu posters.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Snafu Gaming Talk Thread

Postby MERASMUS! » Sat May 10, 2014 4:47 pm

http://youtu.be/V9Q08VaPsSQ

Finally! A new World War 2 game!
Never anger a magician

Postby Tuor » Sat May 10, 2014 4:50 pm

YASSSS! hallelujah!

P.S. Having now watched the video, those guys are fucking hilarious hhahaha
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby MERASMUS! » Sat May 10, 2014 5:53 pm

I watch them a lot.
Never anger a magician

Postby Tuor » Sat May 10, 2014 5:55 pm

The server for the game sucks though
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby MERASMUS! » Sat May 10, 2014 5:58 pm

It's in beta. There certainly are a lot of bugs and tweaks they need to work on.
Never anger a magician

Postby Tuor » Sat May 10, 2014 6:37 pm

My computer couldn't ever get connected to the the server. The server "didn't respond"
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby MERASMUS! » Sat May 10, 2014 6:44 pm

It might be full. I dunno, I haven't played it yet.
Never anger a magician

Postby Panty Anarchy » Sat May 10, 2014 9:12 pm

Tuor wrote:*shrug* he's not wrong, and it's not his fault that EA does so many things worth being pissed about

But think about how many times he's made this video, covering exactly the same problem. It must get tiring.
I am thou... Thou art I... From the sea of thy soul, I come...
Soulchild: u thnk evry thng stupid.
DaCrum: Warbear, why did you suddenly become pretty cool? Stop it.
BR:love is just a boner everyone is looking to fart on warbear
Slutty Angel

Postby Tuor » Sat May 10, 2014 10:08 pm

It hasn't felt exactly the same, to me anyhow, so I guess he must feel the same.
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby MERASMUS! » Mon May 12, 2014 5:43 pm

http://youtu.be/hF27cuomwp8

Whelp. This is a new flavor of insane.
Never anger a magician

Postby Guardian » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:49 am

Anyone got Battlenet and Starcraft 2? Finally got somethings running right and looking for people to play with/against.
“Salvation comes with a cost. Judge us not by our methods, but by what we seek to accomplish.”

"To punish and enslave..."
Semper Vigilans

Postby Q.U. » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:20 pm

Quzor#2446

Although lately I don't have much time to spend for gaming, and when I do I tend to play Hearthstone rather than SC2.
This post is intended for information only. Please do not reply to this message as responses cannot be read or acknowledged due to the stupidity of the user.

Postby Vampire Hiryu » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:16 am

I really need to restart playing SC2. At least to finish the campaign, I was actually finding it interesting.

Valve released a new TF2 short and I gotta say it was really nice.
ImageImageImage
Such a lovely maiden
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby MERASMUS! » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:49 am

I TELEPORTED BREAD!
Never anger a magician

Postby Vampire Hiryu » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:14 pm

So hey, Titanfall is gonna have a free weekend on pc. If you wanna try it to see how your computer handles it and to also see if you like it, now is your chance.

http://kotaku.com/try-titanfall-for-fre ... 1593731195
ImageImageImage
Such a lovely maiden
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Q.U. » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:46 pm

So the Red team has won the point race for steam summer sale free game giveaways on day 2, 6, 7, and now on day 8 they are once again in the lead. Can I already call bullshit on that?

I think the idea of team tokens was retarded to begin with, but now you get to see it in action.
This post is intended for information only. Please do not reply to this message as responses cannot be read or acknowledged due to the stupidity of the user.

Postby Creppy Eggy » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:47 pm

It's bullshit, and a lot of people are saying it's rigged somehow.
The Intergalactic Huevo

Postby Q.U. » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:41 pm

It's not rigged, I don't think. It's just not balanced at all. Many of the high-earners who can get a lot of points or actively play switched team to red because it's been high or winning the most, and now it just keeps on winning because there are more people putting more points into that team.

Postby Creppy Eggy » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:19 pm

You can switch teams...?
The Intergalactic Huevo

Postby Q.U. » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:33 pm

Yes. Team Change tokens.

During each 24-hour period, a user can earn points for their team by crafting the Summer Adventure 2014 Badge. Entrants will randomly assigned to a team when the click “Join a Team” or when they craft a badge during the Sweepstakes. Entrants may change teams only if they receive or trade for a “Change Team” token, earned during the Sweepstakes.

Postby Q.U. » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:22 am

So, I've looked a bit deeper into it and now it makes me curious. Apparently Reddit had started up a plan on day 3 where they would try and coordinate point flow to ensure each team wins twice. And if you look at the screencap they seem to have been succeeding for the first 3 days since their plan was coined together.

But then Steam seems to have noticed that something is up (after on day 3 green won with a 500k point lead to next best team, 4th day pink won with a lead of 700k points to 2nd best, and blue managed to win day 5 with a lead of almost 1 000 000 points to everyone else), and changed the rules to grant 3 free games from wishlist of 30 people who contributed points to the winning team, as well as to 20 people for 2nd team getting 2 games, and 10 people in 3rd getting 1. (This isn't the first time they've changed the rules, on day 2 they changed the minimum level required to get cards from 5 to 8 which made me confused as to why I stopped getting cards, having been lvl 7).

Having said that the whole issue seems extra slimy when you take into account how much money Steam is to get out of it. You can see a little commentary and basic maths done in this vid.

But I wish to make some maths of my own. Steam gets a 15% cut on all marketplace transactions.
Summer Adventure Card 1: Starting at: 0,17€ Volume: 112,566 sold in the last 24 hours.
Summer Adventure Card 2: Starting at: 0,15€ Volume: 108,880 sold in the last 24 hours
Summer Adventure Card 3: Starting at: 0,14€ Volume: 110,531 sold in the last 24 hours
Summer Adventure Card 4: Starting at: 0,13€ Volume: 108,086 sold in the last 24 hours
Summer Adventure Card 5: Starting at: 0,16€ Volume: 108,556 sold in the last 24 hours
Summer Adventure Card 6: Starting at: 0,15€ Volume: 108,103 sold in the last 24 hours
Summer Adventure Card 7: Starting at: 0,15€ Volume: 107,162 sold in the last 24 hours
Summer Adventure Card 8: Starting at: 0,15€ Volume: 107,284 sold in the last 24 hours
Summer Adventure Card 9: Starting at: 0,15€ Volume: 106,361 sold in the last 24 hours
Summer Adventure Card 10: Starting at: 0,15€ Volume: 107,547 sold in the last 24 hours

Which amounts to: 162 831€ of money moved through the marketplace, and 15% of that is 24 424€ in the last 24hours off of only the summer trading cards alone. Not counting the team change tokens or foil cards. Or in fact all other types of cards that saw an increase in trade due to the need for badges.
Now even if all of the 60 people winning 3 games off their wishlist wanted 3 full-price AAA titles for 60€ each (which isn't even close to being true, a good portion of these winners wanted old classics or indie games), that's 8 400€ of cost in game gifts, and still 16 024€ profit per day.

And now we have the red team set to win 3rd day in a row. And all I can say is, Steam did not impress me with their idea. I expected Steam to make profit off this sale and hype, this is only natural, and a good marketing strategy by them. But they could have at least ensured that there was some actual competition, not what it is now, with red team winning with a lead of 400k, 300k, and 200k in days 6, 7, and 8 respectively (day 8 hasn't finished yet, so it's an estimate at the time of writing). The only competition during this steam sale took place during the first 2 days, after that things were either rigged (for 3 days), or completely imbalanced (for another 3 days).

Postby ULTRADJWEEN » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:18 am

I have a question. I'd like to get games on Steam and play on my computer a bit more, but the problem is, I want to use a controller rather than a keyboard and mouse, so my question it, what controller should I get for Steam? I heard that Xbox 360 works for most games, and there's the Steam controller that been out that supposedly works for all games on Steam. So, should I use an Xbox 360 controller, a Steam controller, or some other controller altogether?
When I have something clever I'll put it here. XP
Just Rockin

Postby MERASMUS! » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:27 am

Steam controllers hasn't released yet, as I'm lead to believe.
Never anger a magician

Postby Q.U. » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:45 am

There is no one controller that works with everything. It requires the game developers to integrate controller support into their software. But yes, I heard that most of the games that are made with the option of using a controller will work with a 360 controller.

Postby ULTRADJWEEN » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:47 am

Steam controller isn't out yet? Huh, I thought it was, oh well, I guess I'll either use Xbox 360 for some games and for others maybe invest in a Logitech controller or something. I just don't like using the key board for games, unless it's like point-n-click games or flash games on newgrounds and such, but for actual game games like say Outlast, I'd prefer a controller.
When I have something clever I'll put it here. XP
Just Rockin

PreviousNext

Return to Snafu Gaming