Dark Souls 2

100% GAMES! Use this forum to discuss any game in any context and to organize get-togethers, guilds, and tournaments with your fellow Snafu posters.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Dark Souls 2

Postby MERASMUS! » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:38 pm

The only real problems I had was the navigation to the bottom and back. Ladders tend to blend in with the surroundings.
Oh hello Soldier

Postby True Order » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:45 pm

I marked some of the harder to spot ones with messages during my first run. And I just remembered that the wheel elevator thing was my number 2 killer in that place rather hilarious but embarassing.
"Finish what you started human!" - Kamaji from Spirited Away
Overthinker

Postby Senel » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:30 pm

I always leave 'Trap Ahead' In front of Gwyndolin.
Pelvic Sorcery

Postby Remni » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:38 pm

Senel wrote:I always leave 'Trap Ahead' In front of Gwyndolin.

Everyone leaves that message.

Also NEW DLC SOON.
My Steam - Xbox GamerTag: TheSweedishChef
Shameless league stuff!
Fortunately Unfortunate

Postby MERASMUS! » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:41 pm

Sen's fortress was a lot Harder than Blightown. But the iron golem was pathetic.
Oh hello Soldier

Postby Vegedus » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:30 pm

Agreed there. I think I consider Sen's Fortress the hardest area in the game. There are areas with harder, specific spots and enemies and what not, but Sen's Fortress is just one long stretch of fuck you with no bonfires. And no amount of levels or grinding will allow you to bypass that rolling stone or swinging axes any easier, it's only skill.
Remni wrote:
Senel wrote:I always leave 'Trap Ahead' In front of Gwyndolin.

Everyone leaves that message.

Or 'Chest Ahead'.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby MERASMUS! » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:34 pm

I found a bonfire near the boss fight.
Oh hello Soldier

Postby True Order » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:37 am

There's also an elevator in Sen's Fortress that makes going through it a lot easier once it is activated. I never noticed it until a message essentially told me about it.

It's the 2 human sized cages a floor below the room where you see the boss fog. Step on one and bazaam!
"Finish what you started human!" - Kamaji from Spirited Away
Overthinker

Postby Remni » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:09 am

I never had issues in Sen's Fortress really. I never found it too hard at least. Honestly Tomb of Giants is where I had the most issue. All that damn darkness made it hard to do a lot of stuff unless you were completely prepared.
Shameless league stuff!
Fortunately Unfortunate

Postby Asmodai » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:43 am

Sen's Fortress sucked ass!
But then I found the most overpowered item in the game, the Fog Ring, and everything after that became child's play... Seriously, that ring is so fricking good.

As for Tomb of the Giants, I made sure to get my intelligence up so I could cast Light, which made it significantly easier.
Mephobiac

Postby Senel » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:23 am

I still enjoy my 'Ninja' cosplay every now and then. Got a fully upgraded Iaito, Shadow set, Poison mist, poison throwing knives, black bow and parrying dagger.
Pelvic Sorcery

Postby MERASMUS! » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:36 am

I like to carry around a raw halberd at this point. And the gravelord sword looks badass.
Oh hello Soldier

Postby Birdofterror » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:13 am

Yeah, there's actually a bonfire that my brother told me about in Sen's Fortress. You can find it by reaching the roof and probing the railings on the edges of the roof until you find an opening. You should find a bonfire by falling down.

Be extra sure it's the right falloff though, or you risk... you know... falling to your death.

I found that crawling up the back door to blight town was actually really fun on my level 12 run where I made it to and beat 4kings before Placing the Lordvessel to get the Red Eye Orb. It was very hard, but fair to get through. Unlike most of lower Blighttown, there isn't a lot of annoying unskippable poison, and instead there are a lot of enemies with blowdarts. Also, even though I've beaten the game several times, I only recently found out that there is a Fire Keeper's soul in that hidden area in upper Blight Town that is absolutely fucking SURROUNDED by enemies. Even though I had already beaten 4Kings, it still took me several attempts to clear that place out without dying.

In other news, I also recently tried a Minimum-Soul Level run of Dark Souls 2 with the intention of getting the Red Soapstone as fast as possible. Skipping (nearly) every enemy in Heide's Tower and using the glitch to beat the Dragonrider in 4 seconds, I quickly killed the "Priestess" at the top of the tower and took her lockstone. From killing the boss and her I had no choice but to go up several thousand soul memory points, which I am trying to avoid. After I got the stone, I went over to the Giant's Forest to kill the Pursuer. Why, you may ask, if I'm trying to do with with a minimum soul run? Well, I needed his ring, pure and simple. I was rolling with a Dagger at the time, which was fully upgraded to +3. No large Titanite shards can be found until later in the game. The Dagger usually one shots things through parries, guard breaks, or backstabs, but when it comes to bosses, it's pitifully weak.

As I stated earlier in this thread's conception, I recently learned the awesomeness of the Ring of Blades/Dagger combo, where the Ring adds a fixed amount of bonus damage, and the Dagger is sarcastically fast to attack with. So with that, I got a substantial edge at the beginning of the game. Soloing the Pursuer was challenging, but I had to one shot him or my entire strategy would fail and I would have to remake my entire character. Fortunately, I managed to take him out in one go, thanks to the Early Ring Strategies. Start with Life Ring, Get into the Early Blue Covenant, then kill the guy you enter that covenant with. There, you now have 3 rings. Two giving you % health, and one giving you flat 50 armor. It allowed me to survive not one, but two fuckups in a row versus the Pursuer. It gave me the slack I needed to take him down with a dagger. Moving on-

The real fight was yet to begin. Using the Priestess's rotunda stone, I made my way to the Huntsman's Copse to fight what I knew would be the hardest boss I've yet to face. The Executioner's chariot... at very low level... with a dagger. Turns out simply getting TO him was quite a chore, as those bouncing dark enemies near the bridge are very dangerous and nearly as strong as the pursuer. Luckily, their AI is legendarily terrible and they tend to kill themselves the minute you step over a hole. That said, that also gave me a sobering reminder. I don't WANT them dead, in fact, I want as few souls as possible. So at this point, simply reaching the boss was giving me a minimum of 2K souls per attempt, which digs right into my soul memory. Every attempt makes my goal that much more impossible.

So after cheesing the absolute hell out of the red phantom in front of the Boss's door by circling around him then using my Overpowered Dagger+3 with ring of blades high dex combo several times, he wilts like a flower and my first of many attempts ensues.

It does not go well. I'm not going to go into detail about how many times I attempted this, and will instead just say. It took me 12 attempts to beat the Executioner's Chariot at level 25 with a Dagger+3. My soul memory at the time was about 80K, not bad, but way off of what I wanted. The final attempt was very hit or miss, relying on me actually getting an Alluring skull from one of my previous failed attempts and using it to hole all of the skeletons into one area as I doinked the necromancers to death. The Executioner himself was more than capable of glitching out and shoving me into a wall and killing me in one combo, as he did several times. But I stayed on him, utilizing counter attack bonuses (Attacking while the enemy is attacking) to double my dagger's damage, going from 30 damage to almost 80 per swing. After almost breaking my dagger, he fell over and I joined the blood covenant and got my red soapstone.

Now I am currently doing low(ish) level PVP in the forest ruins. Unfortunately, my soul level is a spit too high for some people. I've managed to get about 50 tokens of spite from opponents, and at about 100K soul Memory, the traffic really slowed down. It's sad, really. Soul memory in my opinion is the worst addition to Dark Souls 2.

I wish I had a way to get a lot of red orbs at low level without farming, or get a permanent solution like the Red Eye Orb from Dark Souls 1. But alas, if I want stable low level pvp, I will have to stick with Dark Souls 1. :(
"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby Asmodai » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:20 am

Soul Memory killed the PVP scene...

Also,

Mephobiac

Postby MERASMUS! » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:28 am

Was that in source filmmaker?
Oh hello Soldier

Postby Vegedus » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:47 pm

Birdofterror wrote:Yeah, there's actually a bonfire that my brother told me about in Sen's Fortress. You can find it by reaching the roof and probing the railings on the edges of the roof until you find an opening. You should find a bonfire by falling down.

I know, I know, I was exaggerating for emphasis. That bonfire is about 90% into Sen's Fortress, past most of the annoying traps, so it's only really good for getting to the boss easily.

Postby MERASMUS! » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:41 pm

I beat Gwynn on my own. Only because I spent hours waiting to see summon signs. But I beat Dark Souls.
Oh hello Soldier

Postby Senel » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:59 pm

So...........You didn't save Solaire?

How could you.

Also this is adorable and I shall now make this character.

Pelvic Sorcery

Postby MERASMUS! » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:48 pm

I was a forest hunter, not a servant of chaos. I didn't even fight him.
Oh hello Soldier

Postby Vegedus » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:41 pm

... Well that was weird. I've just started a new game, no plus, was in Heide's Tower and I get invaded. The dudes names is "Nice Hacker", he's running around in buttefly wings, and doesn't take damage. He's not attacking either, and once I backstab him, he drops a bunch of awesome rings, such as the Third Dragon Ring and the weapon concealing ones. Where after he hops off a cliff. It's a bit facinating that you can hack the game that much. Now I'm trying to decide if I should actually use the rings, given that it'll bypass the difficulty of the early game. I'm finding that rather enjoyable so far, so I'm leaning 'no'. Gonna keep the awestone tho.

Postby Asmodai » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:35 am

I'm guessing he also gave you a shit-ton of souls? So your Soul Memory is probably also fucked now...
Mephobiac

Postby Vegedus » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:12 pm

Nope. But I don't care about soul memory anywho. I'm farming like a motherfucker. Been White Soap Stoning Ruin Sentinels all day without a hitch.

Ran into a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle in the process. There was a Donatello too, with appropriate staff weapon.

Postby Mad-Mutt » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:31 pm

After the recent patch I heard that curved swords are now super good when it comes to parrying and someone in a different part of the internet showed me this gif to explain how weird pvp has gotten and I started to laugh my ass off:

Bark

Postby Remni » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:29 pm

Vegedus wrote:Nope. But I don't care about soul memory anywho. I'm farming like a motherfucker. Been White Soap Stoning Ruin Sentinels all day without a hitch.

Ran into a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle in the process. There was a Donatello too, with appropriate staff weapon.

Yay, that's awesome. Turtle Power. Closest they could come to making Mikey and Raph's weapons are the whip and thrusting dagger.

Anyone played the new DLC yet? Came out today
Shameless league stuff!
Fortunately Unfortunate

Postby Mad-Mutt » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:42 pm

I love the area the DLC takes place in I'm a fan of    underground areas    and the first time you see the    pyramid and the Dragon    is pretty cool too. Certain enemies have some new tricks up their sleeves like some have a poison mist around them that discourages backstabbing, found that out the hard way, you're going to need a back up weapon because some things have shit that can quickly break your weapons. The level design is very maze like and it feels like you're exploring this huge ass place filled with twists, turns and traps and, like everywhere else in the Souls series, 95% of the things you run into want to kill you.
Bark

PreviousNext

Return to Snafu Gaming