Dark Souls 2

100% GAMES! Use this forum to discuss any game in any context and to organize get-togethers, guilds, and tournaments with your fellow Snafu posters.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Dark Souls 2

Postby Asmodai » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:41 am

Oh I picked up on that, the whole forgetfullness is kinda the running theme for Dark Souls 2... But it just irks me that NPC never do anything when they get to Majula.

In DS1, they would occasionally wander off, giving the illusion that they're not just there for your use, but that they're actually on their own quest. I miss that in DS2
Mephobiac

Postby Sigment » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:12 pm

Putting this here 'cause I figure it fits well enough. Dunno if anyone else has heard of Miracle of Sound, but he's got some good music. This one, though, is for humor.

"Stick around... I'm full of bad ideas." -Isaac Clarke
"You've chosen your Answer. Now see it through." -Serene Haze
Gizmo - You're always awesome Sig. DON'T 4get that.

Check out my literary comic: Kurosai Chronicles!
The Resident Smartass

Postby Senel » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:57 pm

Pelvic Sorcery

Postby Vegedus » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:02 am

Asmodai wrote:Having finally played DS1, I can conclude that its vastly superior over DS2 in terms of atmosphere and even story... The first time I entered Ash Lake and met the Stone Dragon. Just wow...

Huh, so you played DS2 before 1? I've been looking for an opinion like that. I've seen a good number of opinions saying that DS1 has superior story and atmosphere, and agree myself, but it's hard to say if that's just novelty bias; That people tend to like the first game they played in a series the most, regardless of actual quality.

For my part, the biggest thing is the theme. DS1 has the theme of decay and entropy, of the inevitability of death and ruin. That no matter how hard you struggle, in the end, all you accomplish is delaying the inevitable. I love this theme, it really resonates with me. The road down into Gwyn's crucible is so goddammit melancholic in it's bleakness.

Meanwhile, the theme of DS2 is neverending cycles. The red ladies saying at the beginning that you're going to die over and over. Everyone talking about how many kingdoms have risen and fallen where Drangleic now stands. And you're just perpetuating that cycle, another turn of the wheel, and you will surely end up like Vendrick. It's a decent enough theme, not objectively worse, I just don't like it as much, and it doesn't really make sense for it to be part of the same universe as DS1. 'Eventual collapse' and 'neverending cycles' aren't compatible concepts.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby Asmodai » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:24 am

Its not just the story, but just the general way the game is presented. In DS2, I've hardly had a moment where I went "Wow, this looks fantastic!" Yet DS1 showers me in such moments. Only Dragon Eerie springs to mind, and even that got boring after a few minutes.

Yet in DS1, I'm overlooking the surroundings of Firelink Shrine and think to myself "I wonder if that is the building I was on earlier..."

And of course the worst part of DS2, the Soul Memory mechanic... I cant even comprehend what they were thinking when they thought that was a good idea. It completely screws up PVP.
Mephobiac

Postby Vegedus » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:36 am

How so? It can be annoying for PvE purposes, but I don't see what it does to PvP, besides making sure people are sorta equally powerful.

Postby Senel » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:08 pm

Some people like to stay around a certain level for PVP, 150 for example. The higher your soul memory the higher the level you can invade so you could potentially invade max level characters. While possible to win it's much harder to do so since levels matter more in 2 than they did 1.
Pelvic Sorcery

Postby Asmodai » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:02 pm

Vegedus wrote:How so? It can be annoying for PvE purposes, but I don't see what it does to PvP, besides making sure people are sorta equally powerful.

Because Soul Memory eliminates builds, or any fair form of PVP.

Lets take an example, player A is a casual player who dies a lot, and loses souls in the progress, but marches on nonetheless.

Player B, on the other hand, is a skilled player that hardly ever dies, and thus accumulates more levels.

But as they progress through the game, player A's soul level will remain low, while player B's soul level will grow, yet their soul memory will remain equal! Meaning that while this is preferable in co-op (since player A could summon player B), this is just utter bullshit when it comes to PVP.

Imagine trying to keep the PVP meta soul level of 150, yet still continue to play the game normally... You'd get invaded by people with soul levels of 800, with 99 points in every stat. There's a reason there are so many Havel mages out there.

Soul memory as a matchmaking system is fundamentally broken, and never should've been implemented.
Mephobiac

Postby Remni » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:34 am

Except that it doesnt work just off the Soul Memory alone, Asmo. It does take Soul Level into account as well. If I remember right it's somewhere within the +/-20 range off the start, then grows in range slightly the higher the level is. Soul Memory only gets taken into account after you meet the Soul Level requirement for it.
My Steam - Xbox GamerTag: TheSweedishChef
Shameless league stuff!
Fortunately Unfortunate

Postby Vegedus » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:10 pm

I wasn't aware soul memory gets recorded whether you use or lose the souls. That is kinda dumb. But yeah, I'm under the same impression as Remni, it's +/- 10% of your soul level, IIRC. And the Havel Mages, well, they're likely cheaters.

For my part, I've never had any problems with invaders. Spent pretty much 96% of the game hollowed and online and I'm not sure if I ever got invaded by something that wasn't an AI. Lonely, really.

Postby Remni » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:09 pm

I've been invaded several times in my own games in my first one or two weeks of playing, but only rarely ever since then. Mostly cause I surged ahead so much on my SL in just my first NG that no one can join.
Shameless league stuff!
Fortunately Unfortunate

Postby Asmodai » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:36 am

Soul Level is never taken into account, its entirely done through Soul Memory (hence why so many people are complaining about it) http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/online-matchmaking

Another great example of how SM can get you shafted;

I got invaded by someone in Sinner's Rise, and managed to kill him (by making him fall down the elevator shaft, hah!) But it gave me a whopping 500k souls. This boosted me far too greatly, and now I can hardly find summon signs, or get summoned myself.
Mephobiac

Postby Senel » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:15 pm

Havel Mages are my favorite people to fight. Beating their pathetic asses with parries that lead into a flame swathe before the riposte with the dagger.
Pelvic Sorcery

Postby Asmodai » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:14 pm

After farming red phantoms forever to get my 50 awestones, I finally found the most gratifying weapons ever.

MY BARE FUCKING FISTS!

With the Vanquisher's Seal, your bare hands do about as much damage as any +10 weapon! Also, it allows you to power stance bare fists! And the lack of weapon allows me to wear the heaviest armor!

PUNCH ALL THE BOSSES!
Mephobiac

Postby Remni » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:46 pm

Oh I have a brawler character I specifically setup to do nothing but melee all game. Definitely not the easiest way to win but sure is fun.
Shameless league stuff!
Fortunately Unfortunate

Postby Asmodai » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:23 am

It does suck against enemies that dont have any poise to break through, and you do have to get awfully close... But its fun!

It does work miracles in PVP though, the moment you start hitting someone you can essentially stunlock them to death :D

Now if only I could have my character go "YATATATATATATATATATATATATATATA" when punching, and my life would be perfect

Mephobiac

Postby Senel » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:00 pm

Check the Nexus. Probably a mod for it.
Pelvic Sorcery

Postby Asmodai » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:17 pm

Cant mod DS2... unless you want to get VAC banned
Mephobiac

Postby Vegedus » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:16 pm

There does tend to be a lot of "You're already dead" in PvP...

Postby Senel » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:16 pm

Unless a lag switch is in play you're never in a really hopeless situation. Just takes some kiting and creativity.
Pelvic Sorcery

Postby Vegedus » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:52 am

Oh, I just meant in the sense of *dodge attack, 1 sec passes, dies*, not in futility.

Postby True Order » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:42 am

Asmodai wrote:Having finally played DS1, I can conclude that its vastly superior over DS2 in terms of atmosphere and even story... The first time I entered Ash Lake and met the Stone Dragon. Just wow...

And the NPCs felt much more alive. It always bugged me that the stone lady in Majula would note that the blacksmith looked like her father, but never really investigates. She just sits there, for the entirety of the game.

I wholeheartedly agree with this, but I have a different main reason for it, though I do get yours.

In every game I play my passion is exploring and scavenging.

In DS1 I feel like I'm dredging through a long abandoned land, disturbing unspeakable horrors that consider me beneath them, and conquering highly unlikely odds to gain lost magical or unique artifacts of which I choose the fate of.

In DS2 I feel like I'm retracing someone else's steps, disturbing    multiple armor wearing dudes along with Bowser, Medusa, Jabba the Hutt    and a few unspeakable horrors (I'm looking at you Freja!) who all just come off as highly aggressive rather than all powerful, and for some reason the treasure doesn't scratch my itch very well.

Perhaps the whole repeating cycles theme makes me feel like this is a tired old tale that I'm obliged to be a part of and perhaps gives me the feel that the "treasure" is just some recently deceased's stuff rather than long lost artifacts.

Drangleic didn't feel all that special to me, I found "the mysterious distant land of strange creatures" (mentioned in an item description) to be way more interesting.

To end on a positive note: I like most of the new mechanics, the movement feels much smoother, I like the designs of the weapons and armor and I like the new cleric spells and some of the new mage spells.

P.S:   That Sun Covenant statue made me really miss Solaire.   
"Finish what you started human!" - Kamaji from Spirited Away
Overthinker

Postby Zelosse » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:52 am

Playing Dark Souls and my general thought process has basically been nothing but defective turret quotes.

For those who don't know.

Postby MERASMUS! » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:35 am

Is it normal for me to think that Blightown is actually pretty easy? I think it's because I use my tattered cloths and upgrade them throughout the game and use pyromancy on the bugs.
Owner of the Bombinomicon

Postby True Order » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:42 pm

Do you mean the entirety of Blight Town? Poison swamp, scaffolding, poison dart dudes and all?

Oh, I just checked and the tattered cloths have some decent poison resistance that's almost certainly what made it easy for ya. Otherwise the place is decently hard for non poison resistant peeps, like me 90% of the time.
"Finish what you started human!" - Kamaji from Spirited Away
Overthinker

PreviousNext

Return to Snafu Gaming