Dark Souls 2

100% GAMES! Use this forum to discuss any game in any context and to organize get-togethers, guilds, and tournaments with your fellow Snafu posters.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Dark Souls 2

Postby Remni » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:00 am

COUNTDOWN TIME!

This game will probably be my game of the year for sure. Got it preordered with the Black Armor edition, wish I could get the Collector's, but will be good all the same. Cannot wait to start this shit, really really hoping the dual-wielding has been tweaked and works better now then Dark Souls' version of it.
My Steam - Xbox GamerTag: TheSweedishChef
Shameless league stuff!
Fortunately Unfortunate

Re: Dark Souls 2

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:34 am

I've been practicing by playing the first Dark Souls for the past week to get ready for this one.
Bark

Postby Senel » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:46 am

Practicing will help you a bit but enough is different with 2 that it isn't going to carry you far.

You character will be much slower at the start and the parry and backstab windows are smaller.
Pelvic Sorcery

Postby Senel » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:00 pm

Here's a very good description of things that have changed.
Pelvic Sorcery

Postby Havoc » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:48 pm

I actually got to play the beta of this back in November. So I sorta got a first hand idea on what it'll be like.
It was awesome. My only complaint was that they replaced the kick function with some really slowass pommel bash move. I'm hoping that they fix this. Other than that, I loved it.
User No. 24602
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:34 pm

@Havoc:

Lucky bastard.

I'm kind of looking forward to the bosses, because the last one had some sick looking boss fights. My favorite was the Wolf who wielded a sword with his teeth. He was so cool I actually felt bad about killing him. I know the Gaping Dragon was really cool, but my personal favorite was the wolf.

I'm sure they'll keep the whole exploration stuff from the last game, I just hope that they'll be just as much or even more stuff to explore and (hopefully) find something cool.
The whole Metriodvania thing. I love it when games do that right.
Bark

Postby Remni » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:51 pm

The Gaping Dragon was pretty amazing, only problem is that it was too easy. I personally like the Seath fight the most. That dragon just looked gorgeous.

But I'm definitely looking forward to the new stuff, mostly the environments though. Been watching lots of trailers and all the new environments look great.
Shameless league stuff!
Fortunately Unfortunate

Postby Senel » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:31 pm

Havoc the pommel bash is here to stay replacing the kick animation. It may be possible to equip an item that allows you to kick for novelty, much like the egg sac would allow you to 'kick' them with the tongue.

For bosses aside from the Mirror Knight and Chariot I've seen screenshots featuring a boss called    "The Last Giant" possibly making them Gwynevere or maybe even the First Born son of Gwyn.   

And Artorias was probably my favorite boss fight, if not him than maybe Ornstein and Smough or Crossbreed Priscilla.
Pelvic Sorcery

Postby Havoc » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:11 am

Senel wrote:Havoc the pommel bash is here to stay replacing the kick animation. It may be possible to equip an item that allows you to kick for novelty, much like the egg sac would allow you to 'kick' them with the tongue.

Well poo. I like the kick better because it was a whole lot quicker than this new pommel bash, which made it easy to shove enemies off cliffs, that and the kick looked cooler. Hopefully you're right about an item that lets you kick instead of bash. Speaking of which: I'm hoping that there will be an item that lets you do cartwheels and somersaults, like the Dark Wood Grain ring did in the first Dark Souls. Being quick and nimble was kinda my core strategy and that ring sorta helped, also it looked badass as hell.

I say my favorite boss battle was Ornstein and Smough. Artorias would probably be my second choice. There was one boss battle in the beta against the Skeleton Lords, but I never got to beat it in time.
User No. 24602
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Remni » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:43 am

I saw vids of people facing the Skeleton Lords. Honestly watching the guy who was playing it, I dont understand why he was having such a hard time with it. Take out the Pinwheels first, then you can go apeshit on all the skeles.
Shameless league stuff!
Fortunately Unfortunate

Postby tonightscake » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:50 am

I liked the moonlight butterfly boss, mainly because it was easy to beat (I ran with balanced skills since I played solo so I used ranged magic) but also because it was both majestic as fuck and the boss music was amazing.
Why not?
Lovely Antics

Postby Remni » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:11 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot all about the Moonlight Moth, which I find amusing because I'm just about to go fight the thing. That one definitely takes my vote for favorite boss fight. I'm in the middle of my first NG+ with my main character I made. He's a Dex/Int that mostly uses the katana weapons + magic. I've built almost all the different types of weapons upgrades using only the katanas. My favorite is the Enchanted Iaito +5 that I have, because its damage is based off my Int which is sitting at 40. I'm looking to do the same kind of build in DS2 if possible.
Shameless league stuff!
Fortunately Unfortunate

Postby Senel » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:48 pm

I've been told that there's double ended swords in DS2 soooooo, when I learn what stat they scale with I'll be building a character and dual wielding them.

And I always pretty much used Beatrice to deal with the Moonlight Butterfly, since the only time I ever really had ranged attacks was building my poison ninja.
Pelvic Sorcery

Postby Mad-Mutt » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:47 pm

Got some youtube videos I thought were funny enough to share.

The first one is a charming little walk down memory lane of how bone crushing our first play through might have been.

The second is an amusing little rundown of the Dark Souls lore done by one of my favorite animators/youtubers.

Edit: Almost forgot, these may contain slight spoilers if you haven't played through the first game yet.

Bark

Postby Senel » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:20 pm

I'd argue that if they haven't played the first one they shouldn't be here but then I guess it doesn't really matter since DS2 is so long in the future the past games story has been utterly forgotten.
Pelvic Sorcery

Postby Havoc » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:04 am

Has anyone played Demon's Souls, the predecessor to Dark Souls? I thought Demon's Souls was great, but they really knocked it out of the park with Dark Souls.

Senel wrote:I've been told that there's double ended swords in DS2

Interesting. Are there any screen shots or images of this?
User No. 24602
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Senel » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:19 am

Not that I've seen, though VaatiVidya had told me it's a new weapon class via twitter. Also considering Bandai/Namco of America had flown him out to demo play it numerous times and that he seems to have a copy of the game already considering Gamestop hired him to make a video for them to advertise I'd say I take his word pretty well.
Pelvic Sorcery

Postby Ro Wong » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:13 am

If you're practicing on Dark Souls, try not to get used to moving a lot while locking onto targets. From what I've seen, moving your character before attacking makes them attack in that direction now instead of just at the locked target.
Demon of Elru

Postby Havoc » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:03 am

Hmmm....I don't remember ever having that problem while playing. But it's been awhile. Also it could have something to do with the way I play.

I know the bow and arrow is quite a bit different. Aiming is in first person now, and depending on which hand you equip it in, determines the orientation of the controls. Like Equipping it in your left hand will make it so L1 is to shoot, and R1 is to aim, and vise-versa for the right hand.
User No. 24602
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Senel » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:39 am

You could always aim in first person, or do you mean it no longer autofollows your lock and it defaults go to aim?
Pelvic Sorcery

Postby Havoc » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:43 am

What I meant was on the first Dark Souls when you aimed the bow, it was over the shoulder view. In this one, when you aim, it goes into first person, and you can't see your character or the bow. I'm pretty sure you can still lock on and shoot, but I don't remember if I tried or not.
User No. 24602
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Senel » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:35 am

Some pregame hype. Really like watching two PvP twitchers buddy cop the game at the highest difficulty.
Pelvic Sorcery

Postby Remni » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:25 am

That is pretty cool, I'm gonna attempt to do that with one of my buddies. On another note, I think my first class is going to be a Swordsman, do some dual wielding fun. The first game made me sad with the dial wielding, since the off hand didnt really do much outside of shield use.
Shameless league stuff!
Fortunately Unfortunate

Postby Remni » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:45 pm

So I got the game. Died outright 3 times in the tutorial area alone. This game is going to be frustratingly entertaining, I can already tell. On a better note, the dual wielding is pretty good this time around, feels pretty fluid for the most part.
Shameless league stuff!
Fortunately Unfortunate

Postby Mad-Mutt » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:11 pm

Picked the Swordsman class and doing a lot of stinging and moving. Things are going about as well as they can be for me so far. Took down my first boss in just three tries, not sure if the firesword I found helped out a lot or not.

Its pretty fun, I'm playing as cautiously as I can and checking those corners. The Souls games kind of remind me of how I played classic Resident Evil and REmake.

I spent a bit of time just wondering around the hub town and enjoying the sights, the game's art direction is pretty great.

I nearly laughed my ass off when the first boss I fought ripped his own arm off and tried to hit me with it.   
Bark

Next

Return to Snafu Gaming