So now we got this - Alien: Isolation

100% GAMES! Use this forum to discuss any game in any context and to organize get-togethers, guilds, and tournaments with your fellow Snafu posters.

Moderator: Mod Squad

So now we got this - Alien: Isolation

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:02 pm

I have no idea if any of you have heard of this or not, I've known about this for awhile and no ones made a thread about it hear and being a fan of the series I figured I'd share this with you all in case any of you haven't heard about it and to also voice some... thoughts I might have.

Here, I'll just let this trailer speak for itself:

So for those of you who haven't heard, Alien: Isolation is another game coming out late this year based off of the Alien series. This one will be a survival horror with a single Alien and you play as Amanda Ripley, the daughter of Ellen Ripley (duh).
It will focus on avoiding the Alien most of the time instead of fighting it and from what I've heard the Alien can pretty much insta-kill you if It catches you.

Now... we all know about that OTHER Alien licence game and it sucked. You know what if it was just a bad game that would have been disappointing alone, but everything that we were told about the game were straight up lies. As some of you may know, the demo of that OTHER game wasn't even a demo, it was a pre-made cut scene of events that weren't even in the actual game.

I bring it up because I think the approach for this game is a great idea and look promising and the things I've read about it make it seem like the people behind this are trying to make a great experience for fans of the first movie like myself.
And we've all heard this before last time, for all we know these could all be ugly, ugly lies all over again in one more disgusting attempt to make money with a half assed final product and Colonial Marines wasn't even half assed, it was no assed. Zero asses went into the making of that game.
I don't want to get hyped for this game so I'm going to assume that its nothing, but dog shit until the day it comes out and it hopefully proves me wrong.
There is some good new, they've apparently actually allowed people to play a demo of this game unlike like last time and I've read multiple sources of people all claiming to have enjoyed it. But still for all we know, the demo might just be for show and the real game will suck.
So I do intend to keep an eye on this game, but I will avoid getting excited over it. I'd love it if this game turns out to be good, but I'm just too paranoid and jaded to think that it will. Granted Creative Assembly has made some good games... and some bad ones... and some that were a buggy fucking mess. This is a team that has been built from the ground up though and they've been working on the game for (they claim) three and a half years.
I'm too paranoid to give them the benefit of the doubt, but if they prove me wrong I'd be thankful for them.

But we all know what happened the last time:

Sigh, I use to think these things were scary.
Maybe the next game can make me think that again.
Hopefully.
Last edited by Mad-Mutt on Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bark

Re: So now we got this.

Postby The Mad Doctor » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:17 am

So now we expect the graphics to be better in the game than the trailer this time? I never played aliens colonial marines, but I know damn well how people were pissed of at that. This game seems to be taking steps of how a good horror game should be made. Without weapons and only wits.
Shhh no tears only nightmares now

Re: So now we got this - Alien: Isolation

Postby YesterdaysLingo » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:43 pm

This looks awesome... nuff said.... (not quite)

I'm expecting this game to give me jump scares equally or greater to that of the ones I got from the Dead Space series thus far.
I'm just sitting here watching this and seeing the live reaction of Amanda to her surroundings(vocals) and think that's really going to play into the scare factor. - Amanda be panicking and shit even tho she don't see shit and then she be calmed down... turns the corner BAM *insert horrific scene / alien* , balled up in the corner.
Flerp flerps

Location: That one place where those people live. You know the one.

Postby Asmodai » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:55 pm

I remain skeptical... When was the last time we had a proper Alien game?

This looks pretty good though, since this time you're not some awesome, ass-kicking marine... Or some rattling Predator. You're just a regular person.

It's like Amnesia. In space.

Mephobiac

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:38 pm

@ The Mad Doctor:
Doc, at this point, I don't think we can expect anything from some game devs. There have been so many buggy or broken games released that its down right disgusting. My PS3 version of Batman: AO worked just fine, but apparently the PC version had some really bad bug in it that cock blocked your progresses. I don't play Battlefield or CoD, but I've heard that the latest ones were a bit of a mess. Also, Rome: Total War 2.
Colonial Marines gets the most flack for it (and rightfully so) because it was the one with the biggest amount of lies. I don't honestly think you can trust some game devs or companies anymore with today's standards.

@YesterdaysLingo:
I'm hoping for more tense atmosphere and real horror and less jump scares. I want to live something like that scene during the climax of Alien when Ripley is making her escape with Jones the cat in his little cat box and she's so close to the ship she needs to be on to escape the explosion, but there it is, the Alien. She's so close to freedom and there it is, a big wall of teeth, just around the corner that could see her if it just turns its head slightly and all poor Ripley can do is press herself against the wall to keep it from seeing her and you can see that mixture of fear, anger, and frustration on her face, only we as the player will be feeling that. We're so close to getting away with our lives, but there's this horrible thing that can insta-kill us blocking us and all we can do is hope it doesn't see us and there's a very real chance it will.
The demo looks like it can deliver on that kind of tension and horror of encountering this creature, but at this point its harder to trust anything based on that alone.

@Asmodai:
My thoughts exactly, I do think this is a good idea and the trailer along with some of the stuff people have said about their own personal experiences while playing the demo look pretty good. But its not enough for me to fully believe this will be good at this point. I do hope CA can deliver on a legit sci-fi horror experience, but like you said I have a healthy bit of skepticism.
Bark

Postby Asmodai » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:04 pm

"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment."
Mephobiac

Postby Millo » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:28 pm

It's cool that the only enemy to worry about is the Alien but I'm confused about what other obstacles the player must face. Maybe it's just me but I never found the Aliens scary when they walk to be honest it looks very ridiculous to me.
Have you tried turn it off and on again?
QU:You look sad and frightened.
Stricken:i know this probably isn't the time or place now, but god damn millo is a hunk
Resident Illustrator

Postby Mad-Mutt » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:06 pm

@Asmodai:
Always assume the worse and you'll never be disappointed. I'd call that cynical, but in this day in age its a wise habit.

@Milo:
That's your opinion so okay I guess. The idea of the first film was to see as little of the Alien as possible and it was always changing, that way it stayed scary and unpredictable. The devs claim they're trying to keep it that way, by having the Alien be vigilant enough to easily find you if your not careful, so you'll avoid taking much more than a peek at it throughout and it will move along the walls, ceiling and use the vents to keep you on guard.
Only time will tell if they managed to do that. I do like how the Alien is suppose to be able to insta-kill you and how you can't outrun it, you can try to run, but if the chase last more than a few seconds without you finding a way to get away, you're fucked.

As for the actual Alien movement there are at least two types of ways its moved over the years, I think so at least.
To me, the Alien in the first film had a very... womanly way of moving, I've seen test footage of the actor in the suit as he moved around on camera and there was this kind of elegance to it.
For lack of a better word it seemed like the Alien was trying to appear sexy. There are apparently some sexual undertones of the first movie, poor Kane is pretty much raped by the Facehugger and impregnated with the first Alien and there's a theory that (along with the human shaped skull you can see under the creatures skin) that it retained what may have been some sexual attraction for Lambert that Kane once harbored. We never get to see what the Alien actually does to Lambert as it kills her, they barely even show her body after the bloody deed is done, but the way the actress screams and the fact we don't even see it all makes her death seem exceptionally cruel and vile.
All other Aliens after that have had a much more animal like movement to them. They're more beast like and we usually see them on all fours.
I don't know for sure how the Alien in this game will move.
Bark

Postby Asmodai » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:58 pm

Millo wrote:It's cool that the only enemy to worry about is the Alien but I'm confused about what other obstacles the player must face. Maybe it's just me but I never found the Aliens scary when they walk to be honest it looks very ridiculous to me.

Puzzles most likely... I'm fairly certain that this is going to play a lot like Amnesia, which involves a lot of puzzles and backtracking, as well as hiding from the monster(s).

Personally, I didnt find Amnesia to be all that scary (and I'm not saying this to sound cool or anything, Doom III scared me so much that I couldnt even play it). So I'm hoping that this at least will be scarier.
Mephobiac

Postby Mad-Mutt » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:41 pm

Puzzles are a usual staple of survival horror games. Backtracking can be done right, it depends on the devs. One of the things Metroid is famous for is backtracking.
Another thing I'd like to see is maybe a few Half-Life 2 style cut scenes where Amanda Ripley is talking to the other characters, only she's a bit more vocal than Gordon Freeman was.

@Asomdai:

Doom 3, huh? For me it was the first Fatal Frame. That was the first game that really scared me.
Bark

Postby Asmodai » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:44 am

Mad-Mutt wrote:@Asomdai:

:|

:|
Mephobiac

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:32 am

Yep, that's a typo my friend.
Its not the first and it won't be the last.
Bark

Postby Blood Lord » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:40 pm

Asmodai wrote:I remain skeptical... When was the last time we had a proper Alien game?

Wait. There was a decent one?
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Sigment » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:55 pm

Is it weird that I thought AvP: Extinction was kinda fun?
"Stick around... I'm full of bad ideas." -Isaac Clarke
"You've chosen your Answer. Now see it through." -Serene Haze
Gizmo - You're always awesome Sig. DON'T 4get that.

Check out my literary comic: Kurosai Chronicles!
The Resident Smartass

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:47 pm

The RTS?
I don't know Sigment. I played that game when I was younger and I had a bit of fun while playing as the Aliens, not so much with the other races though. I say it was about average, not bad, but not very great either.
I will say that it did let me do one thing where the Aliens were concerned though, it let me do a bit of "Hive Management" in some levels like the first one. For some reason, I had a bit of fun building up my hive with the drones while the queen laid eggs and had the drones move stuff around while some stronger Aliens went out to snatch up hosts for the next generation. I found that kind of fun and in one level I attempted to mainly work on my hive and eventually I sent in a whole hoard of facehuggers into the human camp and they would have no place to run to.
Too bad that wasn't as in-depth as I would've liked it to be, but it was alright.

Blood Lord wrote:
Asmodai wrote:I remain skeptical... When was the last time we had a proper Alien game?

Wait. There was a decent one?

Its not really an "Alien" game its an "Aliens" game, but I've heard good things about "Aliens: Infestation" for the DS. I got a 3DS a while ago and I'm trying to track down a copy of it, to see if what I heard about is true.
From what I've heard you start off with four marines and you eventually find 19 marines (each one with back stories and personality) and if any of the marines die, they are dead for good. Also, I heard that the game is pretty difficult which is good in my opinion, I want those ugly bastards to be hard to kill. I actually sounds like a cool idea and it might offer up some replay ability to see how many marines you can keep from dying on multiple play-throughs.
The fact that its also made by one of my favorite devs, Wayforward (whose hits vastly out way and out match their misses) is also a plus.
Bark

Postby nightmare1993 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:48 pm

Game looks promising with good jump scares, but people love overhyping games to bash them later. best to keep hopes low an once you play it makes you feel good about the buy........just my opinion though o.O
There are no hero's and villains, only fools and fools running errands claiming that its for the greater good.
Never Give Up

Postby Panty Anarchy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:28 pm

I don't really think it makes sense to have Ripley's daughter be the star of a game with aliens when she's, in-canon, safe on Earth, but I'll give it a shot when it comes out. I just hope it ends up being more like Amnesia with an Alien rather than just shooting a bunch of mercs.
I am thou... Thou art I... From the sea of thy soul, I come...
Soulchild: u thnk evry thng stupid.
DaCrum: Warbear, why did you suddenly become pretty cool? Stop it.
BR:love is just a boner everyone is looking to fart on warbear
Snafu Mods Suck 2k14
Slutty Angel

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:49 pm

Okay, if you all don't mind I'm gonna be resurrecting this here thread. I had thought about making a new one since this one is so old, but I figured I'd just post my current thoughts here instead.

I started this thread a long time ago after hearing Alien: Isolation was being developed and I was more than a little skeptical to say the least. Especially after Colonial Marines.

Now I've played the game.
I've beaten it.
I've replayed parts of it.
I've let it sit with me and I've let my opinions on it take form over time to make a level headed overview of the whole thing.

For starts as many of you might know, this game has been getting a lot of praise with good reviews all over the place as well as some fairly decent ones as well and bad reviews are in the minority.
As someone who thought this game was probably going to suck I feel like my expectation were really low, but I actually think this game turned out pretty damn good.

I'd dare say this is my favorite horror game in a long time. I even like it more than Evil Within by Shinji Mikami, the godfather of survival horror. I'm sure that nostalgia may play a part in it for me, but still I felt way more atmosphere, tension and fear while playing this than anything else in a long time.

I played the game on Hard Mode and I'd recommend it to everyone to at least try on their first attempt. Then again, I play shit like Dark Souls and Ninja Gaiden and I play most other survival horror games like Silent Hill when I want to relax, so my opinion in that regard may be from a very twisted perspective.

This game did something for me that I've wanted for the longest time.
It made the Alien scary to me again.
I've always liked the Aliens, even since I was four years old and was blown away by their eerie and unique design, but over the years, my fear of them has dwindled. I still thought they were awesome of course, but not as scary.
But thanks to this game I got to taste that delicious fear of the Alien for the first time in a long time. Every time I caught a glimpse of the Alien I felt terrified for my character's life. I still harbored my deep fascination for the beast, but I also felt a kind of respect and fear of it as well.
After the Alien is formally introduced as your antagonist after the admittedly slow start of the main story (which I also enjoyed) it became a near constant threat and any noise I made made me worried it was going to come looking for something to rip, bit, and slaughter. In other words don't sprint. The Alien also has a few different kill animations that I found to be well done and creepy. There were even certain instances when the final moments before that game over screen was do dramatic with shit going crazy that it created this weird thing where sometimes one of the best parts of the game was actually losing to the Alien.
Still though, getting past the Alien and finding a much desired save point was a whole other thrill on it own, it felt like little small victories.

Like I said I was playing on Hard Mode and the Alien is a brutal, blood thirsty beast with a one hit kill that has your name on it and I enjoyed every stressful second of it. Until you get the flame thrower, you need to be careful, you need to keeping moving (seriously keep moving) and you need to play the game smart, or you will die, a lot. Or you could just switch to normal... that works too... I guess...

I don't want to over hype the game too much because that might paint a bigger picture of it in the head of people who haven't played it and it might not live up to their imaginations. I greatly enjoyed it myself.
On the other hand, keep in mind that this is a slow paced survival horror/stealth game with a lot of focus on its atmosphere and some on its story as well which I like, but for more fast pace gamers who don't get into stealth, they might not enjoy as much.

This is a game that wasn't made for everyone and I'm so happy it is. There have been so many games that are trying to appeal to everyone and end up as bland or uninteresting. But make no mistake, people like me enjoy this game not because Colonial Marines was bad, or because its something different. We enjoy it because we actually found it good.

As with CA though there are some bugs. At one point I had a weird glitch for just a few seconds I was running down a hallway and I was suddenly in SPACE! And I was running around, IN SPACE! It was funny and terrible at the same time. Luckily, this only happened for like a second and I was in the exact place I should be without it happening again for the rest of my play through. I've heard of a few others, but I've personally encountered very few. I didn't find anything game breaking or any progression blockers. Hopefully what is there is fixed with a patch.

There are also the Working Joes. You'll have to fight with these guys as well as any frightened and trigger happy humans you might come across. Some people don't like the Working Joes, other think they're okay, I've even found a few people who claim they think the Joes are even scarier than the Alien. I think the Joes are okay and they serve a decent purpose in the game play and story, but I don't think they're scarier or cooler than the Alien, because after all the Alien is the real star of this show.

Some of the character animations are iffy, but I wasn't bothered by them. The Alien's animations though were great and the environments and lights are awesome and it just sucked me in.

So yeah. This is actually a good game in my opinion (and the opinion of many other people, but that's beside the point) but again its not a game made for everyone. If you like stealth, survival horror, and a challenge, I'd recommend it.

This game actually makes me happy. Yeah, surprisingly.
I went into this thinking it was just going to be another let down because of the track record when it came to license games as a whole and what went down with Colonial Marines so my expectations were already pretty low, but still I enjoyed my time with my drooling, evil sweetheart.

Actual effort was put into this, good honest effort.

I don't really care about buying that DLC stuff, I really think it should have been included with the game itself, but in this case I don't feel like I'd need to get it. The story itself will take at least 10 to 15 hours on your first play through, some people I've heard have clocked in at 20 hours even so you'll get you money's worth in terms of length. I hear some people have some slight issues with the long campaign, but I'm glad its this long because I personally feel like I got my money's worth from it and I was never bored with it from beginning to end. The ending was kind of rushed, but I didn't think it was terrible really. Could have been better though.

It has it flaws, but what doesn't. The positives for me greatly overshadow the negatives.

So yeah... Alien: Isolation...
A pretty good game in my humble opinion as a gamer.

(For the purposes of this little wall of text I purposefully avoided talking about any other reviews for the game be it negative, positive, or so-so in order for this to stay at my opinion and my opinion alone. Before buying the game I'd, as always recommend checking out as many reviews as you could from different sources before deciding if you want to spend your money to buy it or at least rent it to try it out.)
Bark

Postby Blood Lord » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:32 pm

Extremely entertaining to watch Lanipator, as Krillin from the TFS DBZ abridged series, play this.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:51 pm

Oh yeah, I watched Krillin play Dead Space and got a few good chuckles out of it.

I wonder how long those guys are able to do those voices without their throats starting to hurt.
Bark

Postby Exodis » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:08 pm

If Billy West can do voice acting for decades, then these giys can too.
Hail to the Savior

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:50 pm

I worded that improperly.

I was wonder how long it does take for their throats starting to feel sore. As in, does it take thirty minutes or ten?

If you're doing a voice that doesn't come completely naturally to you it can really mess your throat up. As an example I heard a rumor that for MGS4 David Hayter had to do the voice of Old Snake with shot of Jack because it hurt his throat so much to do the old man's gruff voice.

With some voice actors changing the pitch of their voice just comes naturally though.
Bark

Postby Sigment » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:08 am

Mark Hamill actually had to give up his role as the Joker due to the strain it put on his throat, I heard. But really, we should be talking about Aliens: Isolation, yes? And on that note, I'm super pissed that I forgot when it came out. Might need to wait a while before I have a chance to get it again.
"Stick around... I'm full of bad ideas." -Isaac Clarke
"You've chosen your Answer. Now see it through." -Serene Haze
Gizmo - You're always awesome Sig. DON'T 4get that.

Check out my literary comic: Kurosai Chronicles!
The Resident Smartass

Postby Mad-Mutt » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:19 am

Sorry to hear that dude, hope you get the chance to try it out soon and I hope you like it.
Bark

Postby The Mad Doctor » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:54 pm

I cant get it until I acquire a computer that can run modern games effectively.
Awaken child and embrace the glory of your jimmies. Know that we are the triune, the eternal will of rustling, and that you are created to serve us.
Shhh no tears only nightmares now

Next

Return to Snafu Gaming