Call of Duty Vs. Battlefield

100% GAMES! Use this forum to discuss any game in any context and to organize get-togethers, guilds, and tournaments with your fellow Snafu posters.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Call of Duty Vs. Battlefield

Postby Q.U. » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:47 am

The PC ports of both of these games are shit.

Though BF4 looks better. And DICE seem to at least try to add functionality and some PC specific options, while Infinity Ward simply doesn't seem to give a shit.
This post is intended for information only. Please do not reply to this message as responses cannot be read or acknowledged due to the stupidity of the user.

Postby Asmodai » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:07 am

The PC version of BF4 isnt that bad... though currently it does seem to crash quite a lot. And if you're playing hardcore (which you should), there's a really obnoxious lack of teammate markers, until you're looking exactly at them, at which point its probably already too late.

And the game looks absolutely stunning! The particle effects are beautiful, and the water is just gorgeous.

Now the PC port of COD Ghosts...

Mephobiac

Postby Whatis6times9 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:16 pm

TheMadDoctor wrote:I just hate modern military shooters in general for their overly linear campaigns and terrible community. Therefore both Battlefield and CoD lose for being the reason creativity no longer being a virtue in game developing.

The entirety of the gaming community is terrible. And we have had this debate, why is any developer going to focus on the campaign when it'll get 8 hours of gameplay vs hundreds for the online component.
All other bears are pretenders to the throne
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Exodis » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:08 pm

Since we are in the topic of Call of Duty and the release of Ghosts:
http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/call-duty-accused-plagiarizing-old-call-duty-210942774.html

Stuff: Exodis is funnier than people give him credit for.
The Greatest Post To Ever Grace This Forum
The Last Savior
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Sigmas » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:30 pm

My friends and I have been calling the series "Copy and Paste" long before this happened. Though I'm sure they'll get a kick out of it.
"Stick around... I'm full of bad ideas." -Isaac Clarke
"You've chosen your Answer. Now see it through." -Serene Haze
Gizmo - You're always awesome Sig. DON'T 4get that.

Check out my literary comic: Kurosai Chronicles!
The Resident Smartass
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Asmodai » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:56 am

Speaking of copy & paste...

Mephobiac

Postby Exodis » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:13 am

Did you at least look into the link Asmo? Because that video is in it, let alone what the article is talking about.
The Last Savior
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Blood Lord » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:15 pm

Still have no problem with.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Asmodai » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:15 pm

Randori wrote:Did you at least look into the link Asmo? Because that video is in it, let alone what the article is talking about.

This is more convenient

Also, you linked to "Yahoo"

Also, also, they refer to IW plagiarizing their own franchise... which I'm pretty sure you cant actually do.
Mephobiac

Postby Vegedus » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:25 pm

Not in a legal sense, no, of course not, but in an artistic sense. It's a pretty creatively bankrupt thing to do, unless you buy their excuse that's it's an "homage". Which I don't, because a homage really shouldn't involve much copy paste at all, it should just be staged in a way that reminds you of the former.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby The Mad Doctor » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:17 pm

It would be a matter of time before the cod fans begin to realize that their unsinkable Titanic is starting to sink. And when that happens, people are gonna start looking for other games more worthy of their time, and then the gamming market will return to harmony as other games will begin to get praise they actually deserve.

Then Half Life 3 will be released.
Not Space Jesus

Postby Exodis » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:43 pm

TheMadDoctor wrote:Then Half Life 3 will be released.

You may be the only person in this site I know that talks about Half Life 3 the most.

Stuff: Exodis is funnier than people give him credit for.
The Greatest Post To Ever Grace This Forum
The Last Savior
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby The Mad Doctor » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:49 pm

I'm sorry. I hold a grudge against cliffhangers and playing through half life 1 is not helping!
Not Space Jesus

Postby Blood Lord » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:01 am

I'd rather ride whatever sinking titanic you see, then mess with all this Half-Life stuff.

If you, MadDoc, could even give me a good reason why CoD is such a terrible game, that'd be great. Besides the 12 year olds who kick your ass and don't stop talking (there is a mute function, didn't know if you are aware of it). And I really don't see the point in marking points against a game franchise for having too many games.

Realism? I could understand that, you have BF 4 on it though.
Controls? Get any other FPS then.
Done before, no ideas? Okay. Get a different game. Better yet, go enjoy life.

Why does it matter if someone finds joy in a game franchise? Why do you hate them for liking it or even the game?

Please, do entertain me with this notion. Because I see it frequently, but never get a sufficient answer from people I talk to about it.

"Why do you hate Halo?" I ask.
"Because its stupid."
"... that's not really a reason."

I don't have a video game franchise I hate. Just things I go "meh" at, at the most.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Birdofterror » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:09 am

Deep breaths Blood Lord. We can get through this without implications on his life.

Doc, CoD isn't a sinking titanic. It's always strongest when a newer game comes out, regardless of how "bad" it is. Sure, it's the same shit forever, but at least it's gotten a game in the past ten years. :unsure:

Half Life and CoD cater to two completely different markets anyway. HL is more for the single player, and CoD is ALL about the multiplayer. That said, this previous tournament poisoned my brain and I'm not sure if I'm ever going to be able to enjoy Call of Duty ever again, but that's beside the point.

The point I'm trying to make is people like different stuff. Maybe it's simply because they never played better stuff, but that is also completely irrelevant. If you want to suggest someone a game, do so. If you want to insult someone's game of preference, it's best to just not say anything at all. There's just never a time or a place to call something a "Titanic." Ever.
"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby Blood Lord » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:28 am

Birdofterror wrote:Deep breaths Blood Lord. We can get through this without implications on his life.

I haven't made a threat or implied any action of implications of his life. I would really prefer it if you would stop making these sorts of comments in your posts, Bird.

I really did like your analysis or last comment in there, Bird. That helps a bit more in my quest for understanding. Thank you.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Birdofterror » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:36 am

Blood Lord wrote:I haven't made a threat or implied any action of implications of his life.
Blood Lord 1 Post ago wrote:Better yet, go enjoy life.
Maybe it's just how I interpreted it, but that seemed like a direct implication that you didn't think he enjoys life when you tell him to go and enjoy life. Once again, probably just me. None of my business anyway I guess.
Blood Lord wrote:I really did like your analysis or last comment in there, Bird. That helps a bit more in my quest for understanding. Thank you.
Uh, thanks. Even a broken clock can be right twice a day.
"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby Blood Lord » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:40 am

Just stop with the comments about me like that, Bird.

EDIT: It'd be nice.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby The Mad Doctor » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:47 am

How many other good games can you think of? And can you tell me why exactly does that make it a good game?
Not Space Jesus

Postby Sigmas » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:12 pm

Can you tell me why you seem to hate any FPS that doesn't have the words "Half-Life" in the name?

The Resident Smartass
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Bad Dragon » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:16 pm

I honestly think that both CoD: Ghosts and BF4 have each their own perks. Before I go on I have yet to play BF4 myself and only have seen others play. I got BF4 for my boyfriend for Christmas so I will likely get the chance to play it some with him in the near future. So at the moment I'm a bit ignorant about BF4 asides from what I've watched (mainly youtube). I also mainly play online when it comes to FPS titles like CoD and BF4 (I haven't even played BO2 or Ghosts campaign yet I have prestiged at least once online in both).

That being said, I think that CoD is a nice franchise for introducing people to FPS who like to play online as well. I like the social aspect of it (even if half the people on there are probably not even supposed to be playing the game or just enjoy putting others down) but I believe every game with online chat capabilities will have some level of issue with that. I believe that CoD is an online game that one can do decent at even if they are not all that good at shooters and/or have a short attention span. I also am a fan of customization which really drew me in when I started playing Ghosts plus I like the challenge of completing challenges and getting rewarded awesome patches, titles, skins, etc. I am also a fan of some of their new game modes like cranked and search & rescue (though the last one isn't all that creative).

As for BF4 I played a bit of BF3 some and enjoyed capture the flag the most (plus it was the only one I didn't completely suck at starting out). I think the game has more potential for attracting people that enjoy a strategic style of game play. I think that BF4's destructive landscape would be quite fun and useful as well. Me personally, the vehicles are a big perk to the game as well as looking more attractive in graphics overall than Ghosts. I would prefer to go kamikaze with some jets for shits and giggles but I have a feeling teammates would be uber pissed if I did that so I try to just go on foot. Sniping can be quite annoying for people like me who are transitioning from CoD but it's more so something you just need to take the time to adjust to. Needless to say BF4 is way more realistic than Ghost hands down. One of the few things I was really disappointed about what how they hyped with Ghost about having similar features but it's just not the same. At all.

I think that CoD and BF4 are games that meet the needs of a different audience. Ghost is meant more to be more casual/beginner gamer friendly and fast paced whereas BF4 is meant for the more strategic minded and patient gamers. You can take my analysis of BF4 with a grain of salt since that is all it really amount to at the moment but from what I've observed this is what I can gather when comparing the two games.
Imperfection is Beauty, Madness is Genius, and it's Better to be Absolutely Ridiculous than Absolutely Boring.
"It was pounded into my brain every day of my life from the moment I started school that I had to be perfect, and if I wasn't perfect it was the result of some character flaw."

IM SO FUCKING HIGH RIGHT NOW

Postby The Mad Doctor » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:55 pm

Sig the Snowman wrote:Can you tell me why you seem to hate any FPS that doesn't have the words "Half-Life" in the name?

That's a unfair assumption, I enjoy many games, a few examples would be Halo, Doom, Left4Dead, Dark Forces, Planetside 2. I was only asking if there was any meaning to is enjoyment aside from easily identifiable enemies.

I really like the stuff I enjoy and that makes it very difficult to not heavily express the things I love. But when I do become aware that everyone finds it annoying I try very hard to not do it again. But when I do make a reference that is as remote as this I feel like everyone pounds me for it. I apologize for that rant, but I felt the need to express my discomfort of the situation.

And fatality ninja, I understand that CoD is designed to be accessible (and don't get me wrong, CoD itself is really a pretty good game on its own) but it annoys me how there is always a new CoD game with a 60 dollar price tag that adds little to the existing formula very much like how EA pulls a new sports game out of it's ass every year or an MMO expansion does the same thing but at least they're adamant about those. And it also annoys me how there are so many Military shooters that copy CoDs aesthetic. But that would be like me complaining about how there were so many old shooters copying doom's aesthetic otherwise I would be ranting on about games that rightfully deserves it's praise like Dark Forces or Duke Nukem 3D. I get tired with modern trends and when I get bored with them I dig deep into stuff that many might not even heard of such as the Marathon Trilogy.
Not Space Jesus

Postby Sigmas » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:09 am

The Mad Doctor wrote:That's a unfair assumption, I enjoy many games, a few examples would be Halo, Doom, Left4Dead, Dark Forces, Planetside 2. I was only asking if there was any meaning to is enjoyment aside from easily identifiable enemies.

Apologies. As you have said, you like it a lot, so you bring it up a lot.

The Mad Doctor wrote:I apologize for that rant, but I felt the need to express my discomfort of the situation.

You're fine, Doc.

The Mad Doctor wrote:but it annoys me how there is always a new CoD game with a 60 dollar price tag that adds little to the existing formula

Believe me, you're not alone on that.

The Mad Doctor wrote:And it also annoys me how there are so many Military shooters that copy CoDs aesthetic.

Now, on that... Are you saying that Battlefield mimics CoD's aesthetic quality?

The Resident Smartass
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Blood Lord » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:34 am

The Mad Doctor wrote:a new CoD game with a 60 dollar price tag that adds little to the existing formula

You can say the exact same thing about the Halo games.

It's a military shooter. Not a ton of room for alterations. You aren't going to pick up a CoD: Rise of Rome game any time soon.

The Mad Doctor wrote: it also annoys me how there are so many Military shooters that copy CoDs aesthetic.

So... you are annoyed how military shooters share or copy the same "principles concerned with the nature and appreciation of beauty, esp. in art", in other words, I'm guessing either the same look and feel or story, correct? Story, I can't help you with that, and feel, I don't know either. But for looks, well I would hope a M16 in one game looked really similar to a M16 in another game.

Sigment wrote:Now, on that... Are you saying that Battlefield mimics CoD's aesthetic quality?

Do you specifically see him mentioning it by name? It's a broad throw out against a genre, not a specific attack. Though I would say that there are elements of design that look similar between both games. However, without a more specific example from Doc on what he is noticing here, I cannot say more.

The Mad Doctor wrote:I get bored with them I dig deep into stuff that many might not even heard of such as the Marathon Trilogy.

You could always try a different type of game instead of a different era.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Sigmas » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:38 am

Blood Lord wrote:Do you specifically see him mentioning it by name? It's a broad throw out against a genre, not a specific attack. Though I would say that there are elements of design that look similar between both games. However, without a more specific example from Doc on what he is noticing here, I cannot say more.

Sometimes a person thinks of a specific example when making such a statement, so I wanted to make sure. But I would prefer not to argue, so I apologize for any possible misinterpretations I may have made.

The Resident Smartass
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Previous

Return to Snafu Gaming