.hack//series

100% GAMES! Use this forum to discuss any game in any context and to organize get-togethers, guilds, and tournaments with your fellow Snafu posters.

Moderator: Mod Squad

.hack//series

Postby Mercen-X » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:37 pm

.hack//

What can I say about it? I fell in love with it after playing the first game. .hack has many faults and many deficiencies. In the first set of games, only Kite brings something to an otherwise barren table. He is the one given the ability to hack The World. Pretty much no other character has anything substantial to offer. Each character falls under a class specification which allows them to perform the exact same skills as another party member of that same class (Kite, Natsume, Moonstone... BlackRose, Sanjuro, Rachel... Balmung, Orca, Marlo, etc.) and the Wavemaster class was especially outmatched due to the fact that every other class could be taught to use any spell. It may not have been as powerful, but still...

While the bosses were interesting in and of themselves, I found their backstory to be the most intriguing of any game I'd ever played. But by far, it's most significant impact is in forcing me to wonder if those other creatures, the ones for which a Wavemaster's most powerful spells are named (like Krake, Yarthkins, Vulcan, etc.) could actually be real characters. So far, I've been disappointed that none of the stories have gone this route. I feel the same way about the Scions of Lights in Final Fantasy XII being mentioned only as the counterparts to the Scions of Darkness which you can summon.

In G.U., the story is very similar: comas, waves, chosen hacker, etc. But the difference lies in that each member of GU is a hacked avatar with a Phase attached. Despite the fact that the main character still has to battle these phases in the form of his allies being infected with a virus that makes them insane, it's still awesome.

I really would like to play Versus and this new RPG they've developed Guilty Dragon: The Sin Dragon and The Eight Curses (likely loosely translated). Well, maybe not so much the latter as it's for phones and that's what turned me off of Before Crisis Final Fantasy VII... also I'm not that into games based on cards. But as far as I know, they haven't released these or .hack//Link in America. What why..?

Is .hack// too much of a niche title to provide a universal product for?
I just love how people put commas, in places they so obviously, do not belong.

I don't know about you, but I love the Young Justice animated series.
So I became the 44,901st signer of this petition to bring the series back.
Skree

Re: .hack//series

Postby Sigment » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:53 pm

Missed out on the last disc of both .hack and G.U. :'( Loved 'em though. A fighting game was made a little while ago, called .Hack Versus. But from the sound of it, I myself would not be able to get a hold of it. Here's some gameplay from it. Likely an Easy AI opponent, but it's to show what Kite can do.
"Stick around... I'm full of bad ideas." -Isaac Clarke
"You've chosen your Answer. Now see it through." -Serene Haze
Gizmo - You're always awesome Sig. DON'T 4get that.

Check out my literary comic: Kurosai Chronicles!
The Resident Smartass

Postby Mercen-X » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:19 pm

Yeah, there's a slew of demonstrative youtubes including one 11min that features every move of all characters. I found a video summary of .hack//Link. I'm not a fan of it's method of story-telling. I didn't like it in Wild Arms 4, I don't like it in the NIS games... my biggest irk though is with Tokio's "in-game" avatar. He looks hella cool in Versus, but looks like a beetle in Link. The beetle/kabuto look has always been a peeve of mine.

Skree

Postby Mad-Mutt » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:02 am

Oh, .Hack.

I remember playing you back when I was younger. My adventures with Kite spanning over a four games long story were great fun that I won't soon forget.

I've since lost touch with you and I don't know if I'll ever return, but I did enjoy the time we spent together.
Bark

Postby Sentios » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:14 pm

They were enjoyable while you were interested in them but they weren't exactly great and they definitely didn't age well.
Wizard Status. 5 more years

Postby Icha » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:38 pm

I liked the one I played, which was the first one. Flawed, just like the anime, but also kind of good.
One time when I was high, I thought I was in an ambulance dying. Turns out I was just eating sherbert.
-stufflikehearts-

Postby Mercen-X » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:39 am

Well, it's really more of an interactive novel. They had a story to tell. Some may say that the story is isn't great either. I kick in balls.

Skree

Return to Snafu Gaming