Fucking Video Games These Days

100% GAMES! Use this forum to discuss any game in any context and to organize get-togethers, guilds, and tournaments with your fellow Snafu posters.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Fucking Video Games These Days

Postby Sentios » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:00 pm

http://vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/Playstation_2

This list has some good things, it's missing the Ar Tonelico games though which are worth playing simply to listen to the songs in context IMO. 1&2 are for PS2 and 3 is for PS3, ranking against each other the games go 2>1>>3

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1GtMiKXE_E

The rune factory series is also great if you liked harvest moon, of the ones I've played RF 3 > RF Oceans >>>> RF Frontier. Frontier has it's farming mechanics gimped after year 1 by a horrible design choice in the runey management that is neccessary to keep the different map regions alive. For Oceans you have a choice between Wii or PS3 but as is the case for nearly every Wii game, the waggling does not improve the experience and the PS3 version is move compatible (optional) anyways.
Wizard Status. 5 more years

Postby Sumdumguy » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:20 am

I see there has been a lot of good games recommended which is good. I don't really have a game to suggest, so instead I'll give you guys a podcast about gaming. They start off the show by talking about what games they've been playing for the first hour, then go to gaming news, then trailers, then it usually ends there.

I am talking about The Game Station podcast which got rebranded to The Co-Optional podcast as of late. Look 'em up on the youtubes. They tend to be around 3 hours long though, just to warn you.

I talk about this because they recommend good games a lot. Its up to you whether the games hold your attention or not.
Meow Motherfucker

Postby Archrival » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:11 pm

Sumdumguy wrote:I see there has been a lot of good games recommended which is good. I don't really have a game to suggest, so instead I'll give you guys a podcast about gaming. They start off the show by talking about what games they've been playing for the first hour, then go to gaming news, then trailers, then it usually ends there.

I am talking about The Game Station podcast which got rebranded to The Co-Optional podcast as of late. Look 'em up on the youtubes. They tend to be around 3 hours long though, just to warn you.

I talk about this because they recommend good games a lot. Its up to you whether the games hold your attention or not.

They got re-branded as the entirety of TGS got re-branded to Polaris, it's still the same thing just now run by those who make content for it rather than an actually company of sorts. It's a much better youtube solution for those who work for them as they get more creative freedom than they did before, hence 'Broken Quest'.
SUPPPAAAHHH

Postby Sumdumguy » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:49 pm

I thought they were still run by Maker Studios, they just didnt want the limitations of games only content. I still see the Maker logo here and there.
Meow Motherfucker

Postby Archrival » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:26 pm

Sumdumguy wrote:I thought they were still run by Maker Studios, they just didnt want the limitations of games only content. I still see the Maker logo here and there.

The gamers who work that company bought it out, such as Jesse, Dodger and Husky since they were making more money solo than with TGS and wanted to have more control and more content they wanted.
SUPPPAAAHHH

Postby Wulfespinndel » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:15 am

Woah, this thread is still alive? Anyways, since I vented here, I might as well make use of it again, because I really hate the guys behind Splinter Cell Conviction and Blacklist right now.

You see, there is a reason why players have to hide bodies in these kinds of games, and it has been an important principle since SC1 because not hiding the bodies would result in alarms, detection, and even worse in Conviction, firefights. Why the heck didn't they think about that when making that game? It also took them four years to release this game due to Assasin's Creed...FOUR YEARS. You mean to tell me I've waited four years only to get something akin to a Bourne video game?

While the game wasn't really that bad (it's fun playing hunter, and I just end up coming back over and over again because it's just that satisfying), I really hate Conviction with a passion. It was unpolished for sacrificing so much to put an emphasis on action IN A STEALTH GAME, and the player and CPU characters cussed excessively almost most of the time except for the Russians and Kestrel; one character, Archer, likes to use the word asshole so much it makes me want to pull my hairs out.

But like I said though, it wasn't really that bad. It just pisses me off that I can't hide bodies. I also find it quite silly that Sam and other Splinter Cells and Voron operatives have to throw their gadgets, one thing I didn't expect when I bought it a few weeks back. It used to be that you have an SC-20K with a launcher attachment that shot the gadgets to a wall or at a person if you had a Ring Airfoil projectile or a Sticky Shocker (which is now a Sticky Shocker Crossbow in Splinter Cell: Blacklist. Is this Assassin's Creed?)

I should have bought that Metal Gear Collection, but it's a good thing I waited to find out that there was an even better version of it. Once the Legacy Collection becomes cheaper I'll go get my hands on it.

----------------------

That aside, I noticed how many games these days have all of these pre-order game content, and in the case of Blacklist, there seems to be an adequate amount that makes me want to buy from Game Stop in order to get the 3E Eclipse from Conviction. It makes me really miss how I have to unlock content in a game just so I can get that awesome character or gear. It's one of the reasons why I find trophies and achievements to be a waste of time, but they're fun to try to unlock at least until you realize how broken some of them are in certain games that you have to just cheat. I feel like they're probably just there for Microsoft and Sony to stroke your cock just to please your ego and make you feel good about yourself.
Reset. Recalibrate.

Postby Exodis » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:21 am

Bellorosso del Fiore wrote:I feel like they're probably just there for Microsoft and Sony to stroke your cock just to please your ego and make you feel good about yourself.

No wonder I get erections whenever I earn a trophy, especially the platinum.
Mir@k: Exodis is the little kid of the forum, compared to everyone else.
Grey: From now on i will call you eggy because i don't like x but ex sounds like eggs. i like eggs.
Yog: Exodis, your manner of speech and the way you conduct yourself is beginning to evolve to the point where I'm starting to like you.
Blood Lord: Yup, Randori is a very well respected night elf of the community. His valuable service to the site has brought great blessings to this people.
BeeAre: I'm totally gay for Randori.
Stuff: Exodis, you are learning. Mama is proud.

Deemed as the best, Outlawed as the worst.
Check out my story! Exodis - The Last Savior
The Kid

Postby Sentios » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:32 am

Bellorosso del Fiore wrote:but they're fun to try to unlock at least until you realize how broken some of them are in certain games that you have to just cheat.

Or the super negative achievements like 'die 100 times', I hate those so much.

Postby Wulfespinndel » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:07 pm

In my game, I had a hard time getting the Perfect Hunter achievement because I ABSOLUTELY wasn't supposed to be detected. Even if I solo'd a Hunter mission and not get detected I still don't get it. So what happened instead is that I got an extra controller, and went through the whole thing as the other player, and bam, I got the achievement.

Super negative achievements like the one you mentioned is one of the reasons why I don't bother with achievements at all. It's boring how I have to do the same repetitive action hundreds of times. Thankfully I'm a patient person but there are times where even I'm not patient enough to do it at all.
Reset. Recalibrate.

Postby Zombiedude101 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:49 am

I'd suggest giving Telltale Games' adaptation of The Walking Dead a try, it's easily one of my favourite titles of all time and you will know the same feels as I.

Postby The Mad Doctor » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:57 am

Never been interested that much in zombie games. They bore me because of their overused concept. I was ok with left 4 dead on the other hand.

Welcome to the forums BTW.

I love things for the exact same reason you hate them for.
Blighttown is easy

Postby Sentios » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:40 am

Zombiedude101 wrote:I'd suggest giving Telltale Games' adaptation of The Walking Dead a try, it's easily one of my favourite titles of all time and you will know the same feels as I.

It would have been better if it had been a true point and click game. Rather than having relatively pointless movement controls.

Previous

Return to Snafu Gaming