Wii U

100% GAMES! Use this forum to discuss any game in any context and to organize get-togethers, guilds, and tournaments with your fellow Snafu posters.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Wii U

Postby Glacial Expanse » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:27 pm

So the console came out on November 18th, and I wanted to talk about it. Because If there was anything I want to point out, it's that this year, there were barely any video games announced for the Xbox 360 and the PS3 when I was watching the press conference on the internet.

During the same day of the console's release, 26 games came out for it at the same time so you do have games to play with it. These games include:

Assassin's Creed III
Batman: Arkham City - Armored Edition
Call of Duty: Black Ops II
Darksiders II
Epic Mickey: the Power of Two
ESPN Sports Connection
FIFA 13
Game Party Champions
Just Dance 4
Madden NFL 13
Mass Effect 3: Special Edition
New Super Mario Bros. U
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
Nintendo Land
Rabbids Land
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Sing Party
Skylanders: Giants
Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed
Tank! Tank! Tank!
Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition
Transformers Prime - The Game
Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper
Wipeout 3
Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2013
ZombiU

Any thoughts?
"Nostalgia and border line depression is not a good combination. Looking back at the 90's and early 2000's brings back good memories, but it's also torture cause we're all older now and just realize that life was just simple at one time." ~ comeonman89, Nelly Furtado - I'm Like a Bird - YouTube
Previous Quote

Wulfespinndel
This too shall pass.

Re: Wii U

Postby Blood Lord » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:34 pm

Initial thought: Meh. I've always been that way towards Nintendo, who somehow manages to make money by releasing the exact same Zelda or Mario Party game with a few variations to make it different. when its not. I would kill to see them go under, and torn up by Sony and Microsoft. An M-rated Zelda game would be perfect.

HOWEVER, that is my inital thoughts. To be more specific towards this, I think they have a decent line up of games. But the ones I want to play are also on the 360 and PS3, and I can bet that there are a lot more people playing online on those systems then on the Wii U. I'm really not that interested in it.

"Whoo another screen to hold up to mah face."
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Hiryu » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:42 am

Blood Lord wrote:I've always been that way towards Nintendo, who somehow manages to make money by releasing the exact same Zelda or Mario Party game with a few variations to make it different.
Like Gears of War, God of War and Halo?
Or most games in general that come out nowadays?
Last edited by Hiryu on Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
GET A LOAD OF THIS
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Sentios » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:17 am

Rosso Rose wrote:26 games came out for it at the same time

And not a single one I want to play going from titles alone. If the uses for the second screen end up anything like the uses for the second screen of the DS in the games I played then let's just say I'll remain unimpressed. The only actual application I can see for it is multiplayer games where you need to avoid peeking at what other people can see (card games and such).
Wizard Status. 5 more years

Postby Blood Lord » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:57 pm

Hiryu wrote:
Blood Lord wrote:I've always been that way towards Nintendo, who somehow manages to make money by releasing the exact same Zelda or Mario Party game with a few variations to make it different.
Like Gears of War, God of War and Halo?
Or most games in general that come out nowadays?

Yeah. I just find Nintendo to be less clever about it.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Tuor » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:01 pm

And have been doing it for like 30 years
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Hiryu » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:23 pm

I wanna play two games on the Wii U. Monster Hunter 3 and Arkham City.

Should we turn to Sega to see what drastic changes can cause then? 2 decent Sonic games for years and years. And they didn't learn...
I mean, really. Your whole argument is the fact that games done by Nintendo only had some differences from the others they have done.
The DS LoZ games are exactly like the Wii ones, Mario RPGs sure were like classic Mario games, Metroid going from a side-scrolling RPG to a first person shooter... Woah, so equal.
Kirby... Well, they tried Epic Yarn but that didn't fly, went back to classic formula. Not much can be done on X-Zero, it IS a racing game.
ImageImageImage
GET A LOAD OF THIS
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Whatis6times9 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:49 pm

Tuor wrote:And have been doing it for like 30 years

That's the big reason I'm meh on Nintendo, they haven't created a new franchise since Pikmin. If Sony was still using Crash Bandicoot, Spyro and Siphon Filter to sell systems they'd be laughed out of the market.

Adam Sessler, summed up all my apprehensions about the WiiU in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LZzX0lDyNI
All other bears are pretenders to the throne
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Onizaru » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:49 pm

I played black ops on the original Wii and still had fun. There should be a good enough showing on the wiiU.

As for the Mario rehash thing, they are one of the few still trying to make platformers. When is the last time you saw a new jak and daxter? 2009, that is when it was.

Postby Whatis6times9 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:09 am

There's still plenty of platformers or games that use platform mechanics for at least part of it. Sony themselves have LBP, Ratchet and Clank and Sly Cooper. There's been indy games like Braid, Limbo, Trine, Super Meat Boy and Journey that are some combination platformer and puzzle game. Plus all the stalwarts of the genre like Sonic, Rayman and Megaman have released games recently. Then there are all the genres that have seen platform elements seep in. So maybe platformers aren't dead, as much as your console of choice got jack shit outside of the typical releases.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Vegedus » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:20 pm

You can't argue with success. Nintendo will stop making platformers when people stop buying by the truckload. Given that it's the fans themselves who would lynch Nintendo if they didn't put out a proper Zelda and Mario every so often. They've done plenty of new stuff since Pikmin, but you might not have noticed since some of it was casual games like Wii Sports and Nintendogs. And I guess they get no credit for stuff like New Super Mario Bros?

Personally, I'm optimistic about the Wii U. Sure as hell not gonna get it any time soon, but the buzz seem to point to the extra screen to be a boon to gaming, which I don't doubt given how fond I've of my DS.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby Blood Lord » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:52 am

Nintendo will always stay in business, there's just enough people that they target to actually stay alive. But I don't think they are a serious contender for the Xbox 360 or the PS3 anymore.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Whatis6times9 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:26 am

I ignore the casual audience because they drive console sales, they don't drive software sales though. It's the same thing with first party titles, they push consoles sales but third party titles is what keeps you coming back for to a console. The Wii was hugely successful for console sales, but it was a step back for nintendo's third party relations.

So at this point I'm apprehensive seeing how poor nintendo has done over the past 3 gens with 3rd parties. I also don't have the nostalgia for Nintendo first party titles that make me instantly need to buy anything that runs those titles. I think the touchscreen could be in an interesting feature, but I see most developers just using it as an inventory or map screen or they use it as an opportunity to put in a minigame that doesn't actually improve the game and could actually drag down the experience compared to the more traditionally controlled versions.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Remni » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:34 pm

Well I happened to get a WiiU myself, managed to grab one of the early preorders. Got Mario, NG3, Madden and ZombiU. ZombiU is by far the best of the bunch. Poor choice of naming on Ubisoft's part (although in reality, they named it after a game Ubisoft made waaaay in the past), but the game itself is pretty damn good. Trying to keep you survivor alive as long as possible is actually pretty hard and does remind me of a Dark Souls type thing. I've died about 4 times so far.
My Steam - Xbox GamerTag: TheSweedishChef
Shameless league stuff!
Fortunately Unfortunate

Return to Snafu Gaming