Halo 4. (Spoilers may be present.)

100% GAMES! Use this forum to discuss any game in any context and to organize get-togethers, guilds, and tournaments with your fellow Snafu posters.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Halo 4. (Spoilers may be present.)

Postby Guardian » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:30 pm

Jasthn wrote:I guess I've got a lot of Halo to play when I get back home then o.o

Yup.

Spartan Ops challenges are also an easy way to level up too. I'm at the stage where the challenges are 20,000 or 10,000 points. This weeks spartan ops challenge was to kill 30 Knights and 50 Crawlers.
“Salvation comes with a cost. Judge us not by our methods, but by what we seek to accomplish.”

"To punish and enslave..."
Semper Vigilans

Postby Jasthn » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:12 am

Yeah I quickly realized that Spartan Ops is an easy way to level up. Not only that, but I personally find it a good way to sharpen ones skills if playing alone. Dying on single-player mode doesn't hurt the player too much if they die, not restarting them to the nearest checkpoint, so the player can make it their goal to not die and see whether or not they can. This is often something I find myself doing when I do Spartan Ops, and it's a good way to challenge yourself.
I GOT 'DEM HUMPS.
Doctress Who:You can be my Brony bitch ;D
Droctress Who:Jas, would you like me to make you a sandwich?
JesusChrist: Well if you insist Jasthn I'll use it with you. Spread them cheeks

Tragedy_and_Comedy: Jas is about as dangerous as a kitten.
Blood Lord:I hit your dog with mah truck. :3
Lenore Celestalis:*jumps on your back* weee~
That guy.

Postby MERASMUS! » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:47 pm

The only thing I didn't like about the campaign was the fact that there wasn't as much mystery about requiem than the halo ring in the first game. If you read ghost of onyx, glasslands, you would already know that requiem is a shield world, and if you read the Thursday war, you would already know the Didact might have been dormat on requiem. The mystery would last three levels if you were completley new to the franchise or don't explore it, then that would be it. But the plot dives deeper into the relationship of master chief and Cortana, dealing with mortality of them both. Something never done before in the franchise. Neil Davidge did a great job but I still prefer Martin o' Donnell. The prometheans, I thought , were the coolest enemies I ever saw, as they all worked together and largley intelligent ocasionally dealing with zerg rushes of crawlers. In multiplayer I'm good with assassinations, using stealth and active camo. I've gotten used to stealth tactics so much, when I'm not playing Halo 4, I'm playing Assassin's Creed 3.
Never anger a magician

Postby Guardian » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:50 pm

Whats the odds of an average gamer getting into those? Most of them just buy the games and call it good.

But the plot dives deeper into the relationship of master chief and Cortana, dealing with mortality of them both. Something never done before in the franchise.

I believe they said that this was their intention, to focus more on the Chief and developing more character (did this ever happen? I don't think so).

I'm not going to rule Cortana out just yet. Even with the events of the end of episode 10, I think there will be something more on it later on. I really want them to do a season 2 of Spartan ops, but they have got to mix it up a little bit more if they do. I got buttonphobia from playing those. I push a button and POOF, 20 damn knights, 40 crawlers, and who-the-hell-knows how many watchers come from now where to descend upon my power-armored ass.
“Salvation comes with a cost. Judge us not by our methods, but by what we seek to accomplish.”

Semper Vigilans

Postby MERASMUS! » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:17 pm

That's why I hide with active camo whenever I push a button. I'm usually equipped with a DMR, Plasma pistol, AA efficiency, active camo, and stealth. Works almost all the time, The plasma is for Knight shielding from range, DMR is for headshots and crawlers, and Active Camo and stealth is for assassinating the knights while being invisible. I have a habit of calling those "incognito strikes".
Never anger a magician

Postby Guardian » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:01 pm

I think I use active camo for two classes, my sniper (DMR, pistol, Frag, mobility, ammo) and a assassin class that I'm still working on getting it right and figuring out how to best use it. I don't have a problem with assassinations without it, so I find having two classes a bit redundant for my style. Usually, I rock out with a BR with Promethean Vision. Additional abilities change depending on what type I'm playing.

Semper Vigilans

Postby MERASMUS! » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:16 pm

I'm more inclined to use the DMR or light rifle, Try to complete the wetworks specilization if you have not. It gives you a stealth support upgrade which makes you imune from promethean vision and silences footsteps.
Never anger a magician

Postby Guardian » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:29 pm

I think I was in the middle of the wetworks specialization, which I would need to complete a assassin class. I did Stalker first, I think. I dunno, its been a while since I've been on. After that I'm going Engineer or Tracker.

I like the DMR, only for long ranged maps. The light rifle, I haven't had a ton of experience with, mostly because I'm biased to human weapons, and I always run out of ammo like its no ones business when I have alien weapons. The reason I like BR over the other ones is that it is a pretty good balance between a DMR and the AR. I've pretty consistently against people using those rifles too. The covenant Carbine is another weapon that I do like, but don't find myself using much, except on my Ranger class that has a jump jet.

Semper Vigilans

Postby MERASMUS! » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:13 am

When I use covenant weapons, I use ammo support upgrade, and when I use the carbine, I use dexterity to counter the slow reload time.
Never anger a magician

Postby DaCrum » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:58 am

I hate the Promethean weapons. They just are not as good to me as a battle rifle or DMR honestly. The boltshot is alright though. I like it for the sheer fact that that close range attack gets me a remarkably good amount of kills.
Escape will make me God.
65124_134_12++[CMND PRAMA +49c2]

Postby MERASMUS! » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:58 am

The Scatershot, The Incineration Cannon, and the Binary Rifle, are pretty awsome Da Crum, (or can I call you Durandal)
Never anger a magician

Postby Guardian » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:47 pm

Not a huge fan of the scatter shot, it works, but would still rather have a shot gun.

The binary rifle is possibly my favorite Promethean weapon, the biggest probelm I have with it is the two shot per clip and the laser that shows up while you're zoomed in. Not my favorite brand of sniper rifle, but it can get the job done.

Total red flag to everyone on the map of where you're at. The Incinerator cannon is messy, plus I'd rather have more shots like the rocket launcher or the fuel rod cannon.

Its a power vs amount kind of a thing for me.

Semper Vigilans

Postby DaCrum » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:51 pm

Once again, I prefer the shot gun to the scattershot for the simple fact that it seems easier to hit people with the shotgun. The sniper rifle and whatever the Covenant sniper is in this game are superior to the binary rifle because it is easier to aim, larger clip size allows quicker fire return, and ya know, the big ol' laser that doesn't point out of the gun helps out a LOT. And I honestly don't think I've ever actually killed anyone, other than myself, with the incinerator cannon. It's not that it's a bad gun, but compared to the alternatives, I would prefer the rocket launcher or fuel rod cannon. Both have a larger clip size, faster reload time, and I find significantly easier to aim and fire with lethality.
Escape will make me God.
65124_134_12++[CMND PRAMA +49c2]

Postby MERASMUS! » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:45 pm

I have developed a tenique to use the Binary Rifle more efficiently. It's basically quickscoping with the binary rifle. It's really simple, I aim the reuticle in the area of a player, hold the scope down, fire the gun, and release the scope. First time I ever needed to quickscope in halo. This teqnique saved me from a sword lunge once in Binary slayer. As for sniper rifles and beam rifles, I master no-scope kills. In halo: CE, I ALWAYS no scope the sniper.
Never anger a magician

Postby True Order » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:42 am

Sooooooo maybe lighting a fuse here. But am I the only person who largely did not like this game?

Before it starts to sound like I am trolling or something, here are some details to note:

1.)To play multiplayer, even offline multiplayer you need to save roughly 4 gigs of data to your 360's hard drive. This highly stunts the game's portability.
    Ex: Went to a friend's B-day hang out celebration and brought Halo 4 upon request, with 3 and Reach as fallbacks. This friend had one of the older versions of the Xbox 360 that had sh!t for hard drive space. Needless to say no Halo 4 was played that day but we still had tons of fun with Reach and 3.

2.)Not a single one of my friends or brothers, most of which played the previous Halos, entirely understood what happened in the campaign aside from Cortana    dying.   

3.) I'm the kind of person who really liked Halo style maps. The kind of maps that had a neat balance of vehicle and infantry play or the kind that focused on one or the other. The kind of maps where it was clear that the focus was on the map.... as opposed to the background of the map. You know damn well, damn well, that they focused waaaay too much on the backgrounds and you know there's something wrong when the map bores you compared to the scenery. I'm not saying I hate pretty backgrounds, Gears of War 3 has lots of nice backgrounds but they do it in a way where I don't feel the urge to leave the map to explore it. These complaints go double time for the dlc map packs.

Sorry if I offended anyone. But in terms of this picture: Image

I have been left in the suicide square. Not a pleasant feeling, no siree.
"Finish what you started human!" - Kamaji from Spirited Away
Overthinker

Postby MERASMUS! » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:00 am

So basically, you're complaining that you can't take the game to your freinds house? Might as well complain about the fact that you can only play PC games on your own computer, which I have no problem with.
Never anger a magician

Postby Guardian » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:38 am

@True Order. Your opinions are welcome here. I think they designed Halo 4 to go with the newer style 360s. I also have a older one with 20GB hard drive, and it isn't bad, I just need to watch my hard drive space.

I agree with you on some aspect of the multiplayer usage. I hate the fact that I have to be a Gold member in order to do spartan ops. I suspect that it was done to keep people from massively leveling up outside of Live. I think they could have at least disabled the rank system when you don't have Gold or Xbox Live.

True Order wrote:Not a single one of my friends or brothers, most of which played the previous Halos, entirely understood what happened in the campaign aside from Cortana    dying.   

That surprises me. Because I, like your friends, have done the same, with the exception of the first 4 halo books that delt with before Halo 1, during it, and a little after.

Semper Vigilans

Postby MERASMUS! » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:55 am

True Order wrote:[list]

2.)Not a single one of my friends or brothers, most of which played the previous Halos, entirely understood what happened in the campaign aside from Cortana    dying.    .

I don't think I understand, did they mention what parts they didn't understand? Because, the only thing that probably wouldn't make sense to a fresh halo player is the Didact showing up of nowhere. And THAT could be fixed by finding and watching the terminals. This reminds me of one time, when my friend told me he finished the game on legendary, I checked his record, he only finished it on easy. Is there a possibility that your friends skipped the cutscenes?

Sorry about my defensiveness. I'm rather sensitive when It comes to halo.
Never anger a magician

Postby Guardian » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:38 am

True Order wrote:
3.) I'm the kind of person who really liked Halo style maps. The kind of maps that had a neat balance of vehicle and infantry play or the kind that focused on one or the other. The kind of maps where it was clear that the focus was on the map.... as opposed to the background of the map. You know damn well, damn well, that they focused waaaay too much on the backgrounds and you know there's something wrong when the map bores you compared to the scenery. I'm not saying I hate pretty backgrounds, Gears of War 3 has lots of nice backgrounds but they do it in a way where I don't feel the urge to leave the map to explore it. These complaints go double time for the dlc map packs. [/list]

Sorry to hit you again, but I don't understand this issue. I've never heard of it this way before. Are you opposed because the maps are too pretty and have too much background, or that they aren't good looking enough?

The only map complaints I have are that I hate symmetrical maps.

Semper Vigilans

Postby MERASMUS! » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:00 pm

Symetric maps arent even that bad. Blood Gulch was my favorite map of the franchise.
Never anger a magician

Postby Guardian » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:38 pm

I hate symmetrical maps, and I HATE Blood Gulch. Its boring and uncreative. I remember doing and getting consistently sniped from one side of the map to the other and no way at all to counter act unless I or someone else had a sniper rifle. This is one reason why I prefer Ragnarok over Blood Gulch. You can't dominate from a single position. Not even a Mantis in the middle of the map can do the trick.

They're boring, way too simple, easy to dominate and get your teeth kicked in at the same time, and you do the exact same thing on them no matter what side you spawn on. Asymmetrical maps force you to think differently on each side. You draft up newer plans for assault and then have to learn how to counter them and then redraft plans again until you flesh out a decent strategy.

I like to think while I'm engaged in mindless killing. Learning and creating new ways to out smart and out maneuver my enemies. Symmetrical maps don't force you to do that.

I miss High Ground. That was a fun map, rushing uphill against a fortress from a beach was beautiful. I had my breach plans excellently made where I had a shotgun and was in the base before the enemy team could man the walls.

Also this:

Semper Vigilans

Postby MERASMUS! » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:00 am

Very well, I see your point in that. I just liked BTB clashes from both sides. And your point about Valhala makes sense. That map was designed to prevent total domination. But I still like the classic Blood Gulch.
Never anger a magician

Postby Guardian » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:21 am

Bump'd this shit up, yo.

My finals ends tomorrow, which means as soon as I get done making a CS for Hana's X-men RP, I'll be on Xbox Live. So for whoever wants to play some Halo with Blood to seee how things get rocked, or settle a personal grudge against me, I'll be on.

Gamer Tag is Stormrage 501

Semper Vigilans

Postby Lord Frieza » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:18 pm

I finally managed to get Internet connection for my Xbox (through a bridged connection via my laptop. Not the best option, but the only one I had), so it's only a matter of time before I cash in the Gold membership card in my drawer and jump back on Halo. The last time I was on was I think in Febuary, so no doubt I'll get my ass kicked in my first few games.

Whenever I was on, I never saw many people playing the DLC maps. Are they not worth getting or what?

Oh, and my gamer tag is Super Godzilla3, if anyone cares.
Planet Pawner

Postby Guardian » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:40 pm

I've heard the maps are fun, but they are a requirement to play. I think they just get shuffled into the rest of the playlists though.

Semper Vigilans

PreviousNext

Return to Snafu Gaming