A thread about Deus Ex

100% GAMES! Use this forum to discuss any game in any context and to organize get-togethers, guilds, and tournaments with your fellow Snafu posters.

Moderator: Mod Squad

A thread about Deus Ex

Postby MERASMUS! » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:47 pm

Understanding the original Deus Ex

Deus Ex is regarded as the greatest PC game of all time. And with good reason. However, some aspects of the game has not aged well, the graphics for example (like all 3D games from 2000)

I played the game with a texture mod that improves the textures significantly. There are also some gameplay mods that help remedy a few things in the gameplay that didn't age well.

Character Building
You really don't have a wrong choice to pick when building a character (except for swimming (no really)) as you progress through the game and accomplish goals, you gain skill points. Like all RPGs upgrading skills improves performance drastically in that area. But the amount of xp you get is small and requires you to think carefully about how you want to spend points for your play style. You will only be able to master one or two skills. There is also a separate character upgrade system where you find "augments" that you activate in certain situations. These are permanent. You might find some that are a huge game changer and others that flat out useless.

Why Non-lethal and Lethal makes a difference

This is more important than it seems. This is for those stealth builds who should give a damn. It is more difficult to perform a non-lethal takedown, but it won't alert anyone else nearby. Also non-lethal runs award more skill points throughout a mission. But being completely non-lethal is not recommended for a first playthrough as it requires you know a great better deal about the level layout and what you are doing.

I am completely psychotic about this game

If I am making a thread about this one game, that I really like and really do like on the first playthrough (I got some tips from all of the reviews). I really do think this game deserves a good shot for all who get a chance to play it. If you already tried it and think and sucks then read this entire post, then give it a second try. If you did both, and still hate it, then fuck off. You are not welcome. It's always $6.99 on steam.

Last edited by MERASMUS! on Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Owner of the Bombinomicon

Re: A thread about Deus Ex

Postby Lady Haru » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:44 pm

of course you made a thread of Deus Ex lol
but wouldn't this belong better in the gaming section?
Art thread // Lit Thread // Tumblr 1 // Tumblr 2 // Dreadful Comics
Alopunk - Haru, you are 200% a cutie patootie
Love lost until found

Postby MERASMUS! » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:51 pm

Barely anyone goes to the gaming section. People seem to just go there for the league of legends thread.

Postby Millo » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:53 am

I know most fans praise the original but it just hasn't aged well. I still think Human Revolution is better
Resident Illustrator

Postby Sly » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:28 am

I'm glad you mentioned the mods, because I fell in love with Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and then went and bought the earlier games on steam in a package deal.

I actually like the pacing a bit better in the original Deus Ex, but there were a lot of mechanics that didn't age very well. Also, Dues Ex is a game that reminisces arcaic computer games, in that it suffers from a serious lack of direction, by that I mean I can't touch Deus Ex without a game guide. There's almost no clues on where to go, and all the maps kind of meld together as far as color scheme goes. It's very, very easy to miss things. To me, the stealth mechanics didn't age very well, so I followed the build to simply kill all things with guns. Sniping did age pretty well, but that's because you have no distinction between head shots or body shots. Sniper is pretty much a one hit kill if you spec in it and get a solid shot on the target. Though sniper rifle does run out of ammo fast.

I really, really like the original game overall, and I love DX:HR, though I could write a book that's already been written by the gamer community on all the bad decisions that went into DX:HR. They fucked up royally on the bosses, and fucked up even harder on the ending. The game really does haven't an end. The story has absolutely no closure. The "ending" is just the head developer being in love with the theme of the game. I say this because if you follow that guy on facebook and twitter, he does act like an augmentation fanboy. I found it slightly ironic because the original game is less about the augmentation itself, and more about how far technology itself can be pushed (idolized in Bob Page's deep desire to trascend humanity itself.) The end goal in Dues Ex is to leave humanity behind in an attempt at becoming a god in a world solely couched in technology. in DX:HR they're more obsessed with replacing body parts than anything else.

Sarif's definition of "human" is INSANELY SHALLOW. That was actually my biggest grip with the whole game. Physical size and strength alone apparently determined to Sarif what it meant to be human. Think about it, you only really fight other major Mech Augs in the boss fights. Everyone else seems to have an aug here and there, AND THEY KILL YOU. Jensen can't survive a fire fight. I could never last very long if I got into a gun fight with groups of non-mech augs. They'd murder Jensen in a heart beat. It made me want to slap Sarif and say "SO MUCH FOR THAT >:/ I'M PRETTY HUMAN. BULLETS STILL KILL AND I CAN'T DO ANYTHING SUPER-HUMANLY COOL WITHOUT CANDY BARS." And you know what? Jensen's life was by no means extended by the addition of the mech augs. So the more Sarif tried to convince Jensen that he was "more than human" I really just wanted him to shut the shit up, because that was such a narrow-minded definition of the human condition. A walking tank doesn't transcend the human condition. It would be like saying Iron Man had departed the means of being human every time he put his suit on.

What about someone who IS IN a tank? Do they transcend humanity? Or do they not simply because it isn't attached to their body parts? >:/ I don't like the idea of Sarif being an idiot because I like him, but this was a criticism I could never get over in DX:HR.

At least to Bob Page in the original Deus Ex, he had a more expansive definition for what it meant to be human. And that got down to the grit of the human condition. Short lives. Humanity's tendency to destroy its environment, and its cruelty to each other and to other living things. Instead of fighting humanity's condition, he indulged in his greed to transcend for all the reasons he had, at whatever the cost. I could relate that to Doaist theory if I wanted to. It's deep shit. And with a story like this, if you don't cut deep you're...well...DX:HR I guess.

my assumption is that DX:HR suffered from their Director. He's obsessed with mechanical body parts, and very much so into himself, and I think that reflected in the game's finished product. Even the writer said they really didn't do enough game testing. And since DX:HR the director has been making bad decision after bad decision regarding what happened with Dues Ex: The Fall. It never should have released on the phone, that was just a bad idea. Their audience is on computer or consoles <__<;;
Do you have the preparedness to tell a lie? How is it?
Look, you're becoming sleepy.

My writings

People ruin all things to the point good and evil can't even exist.
In the depth of humanity, what I saw a terribly cold dream.
Looking Forward.

Postby Yog » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:04 am

Maddoc I can't get the original deus ex to work.
DaCrum
Yog, you are one cool motherfucka.
One day this child shall learn the beauty of life.
Absurdum vitae.
Thanks for being there for me, man.
Resident Old God

Postby MERASMUS! » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:17 am

to stream? Or function?

Postby Yog » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:20 am

Stream
DaCrum
Absurdum vitae.
Resident Old God

Postby MERASMUS! » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:48 am

I tried doing it too, maybe try using different broadcasting software.

Postby Yog » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:08 pm

And you dislike Human Revolution?
DaCrum
Absurdum vitae.
Resident Old God

Postby MERASMUS! » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:12 pm

I do like revolution a lot. You can stream that instead if you want.

Postby Hiroko » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:46 pm

Thread moved by OP's request.
The Sentimental One

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:05 pm

I played Deus Ex on a borrowed copy from a friend, I liked it at the time and at the time I was a little kid.
I'm more than a little miffed that it took as long as it did for a decent sequel to come out when HR did. I thought HR was pretty cool, but when I got through it, I looked at it as a whole and just started picking out parts that I thought could have been better in terms of story, side missions, characters, themes and this and that. Still, HR was better than a lot of other stuff coming out at the time and I really enjoyed the stealth gameplay. For me the gameplay of HR was great for the most part, I just wasn't super into the story on other playthroughs. Still though, the story had some cool ideas too it, but maybe I was expecting a bit more, I was still susceptible to the hype bug back then so I was expecting this big, mind blowing AAA sci-fi story experience. It was still an okay little tale though.

I just hope we won't have to wait like another 10 to 15 years to get another decent sequel.
Bark

Return to Snafu Gaming