The Sims 3

100% GAMES! Use this forum to discuss any game in any context and to organize get-togethers, guilds, and tournaments with your fellow Snafu posters.

Moderator: Mod Squad

The Sims 3

Postby Archrival » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:39 pm

Have any of you noticed this sequal to one of the biggest selling games franchsies ever or is it another game poor overlooked?
SUPPPAAAHHH

Re: The Sims 3

Postby Remni » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:40 am

I've been playing it for a couple days now. I like the setup of it, it's pretty fun. Making a Clepto-Pyromaniac for a character is hilarious. He steals things and then sets them on fire and dances around it.
My Steam - Xbox GamerTag: TheSweedishChef
Shameless league stuff!
Fortunately Unfortunate

Postby Archrival » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:00 am

I made myself and a college friend and I must say they are really close to the real things.
SUPPPAAAHHH

Postby JinJoe » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:27 am

Almost at the uncanny valley.

Postby Asmodai » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:22 am

I like this game, its better then the sims 2... especially the aging part, I always hated it that only your current active household aged in the sims 2. Now everybody ages! :D

Also, being an evil mean spirited character is fun... I beat up everybody who comes near my house, including the postman/woman everyday
Mephobiac

Postby Archrival » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:57 am

I like how they've focused the job more e.g my college friend is a police officer and you occasionally see him in the cop car with his partner doing patrols.
SUPPPAAAHHH

Postby Salad Snack » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:51 am

Too bad the Enable/Disable Story Progression button is not working at all. It's just a button that sits there right now. There's a temp fix for PC users, but none currently for Mac users. So you'll have to wait for a patch if you have a Mac. Also, you can download a mod that fixes the button, which is what I did. But the mod kinda does a whole much of modifications that you don't really need.

The Awesomemod modifies the Steel Bladder Perk, so instead of it being removed like in the normal game, you still have a bladder needs bar, but even if your Sim needs to go, you won't pee yourself. Though it does still give you a negative moodlet, I believe.

For PC users, you can make a temp fix. If you run Sims 3 by the shortcut and not the Launcher/Download Manager, you can modify the shortcut's target by adding on -togglestoryprogression to the end of the target.

Postby Remni » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:53 am

Well I made my personally Sim now, and it's pretty neat. I'm working towards being a Super International Spy. I took the Extreme trait thing too, so everything I do is "TO THE MAX!"
My Steam - Xbox GamerTag: TheSweedishChef
Shameless league stuff!
Fortunately Unfortunate

Postby Asmodai » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:39 am

I just made myself a underground lair :O
I was gunning for a normal house with a basement, but I made it so big, I could fit in my entire household
Now everything is fenced off by metal wire, and my entire "house" is hidden underneath a forest of trees and shrubbery :D
Oh, and I'm an evil master mind

and what is it that doesnt work with the story progression button? Because for as far as I could see, it worked for me
Mephobiac

Postby gizmo2300 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:00 pm

if the "Story Progression Button" is one of the speed buttons i've had trouble with it too, it's just too slow. I don't know.. i still prefer Sims 2, but this game is pretty nifty too :D

Postby AngelofGeek » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:30 pm

Necroed with the permission of Blood Lord.

So the sims 3 is coming to a close with this final expansion pack. It is such a shame, but I'm sure The Sims 4 will be quite fun. Those of you still with The Sims 3, I suggest checking out Twallans mods at Nraas. Story progression, over watch, errortrap, master controller, and debugenabler are my personal favorites.
I'm a little teacup :3

Postby Asmodai » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:13 pm

Eerie... I installed the Sims 3 just yesterday again, since I felt like playing something silly. But I cant get any mods to work, despite doing everything as described in several guides >.<
Mephobiac

Postby Vegedus » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:42 pm

Played it again recently, due to getting it in the humble bundle. Have pirated them all before that.

While the Sims catch some flak for being 'girl-games' (which is a bad thing because cooties, I guess), and they aren't quite right for me, I do gotta admit there's some great game design in there. The goals and dreams stuff introduced in Sims 3 does a lot to giving the game immediate rewards and make long term play engaging. My main annoyance with it is that it's just to easy: It's easy to get to the top of a career, achieve all your sims goals and buy the best of everything during the life of a single Sim and then there's not much to do afterwards. For me at least, I can't play it not to win, trapping people in pools or fires is only really fun for me once. Maybe the emotion system in The Sims 4 will do something to give the game more exploration and difficulty, but I'm mostly 'meh' about it.

As for the expansions, NAWP. They're super expensive and light on content. Do not want.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby AngelofGeek » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:50 pm

Asmodai wrote:Eerie... I installed the Sims 3 just yesterday again, since I felt like playing something silly. But I cant get any mods to work, despite doing everything as described in several guides >.<

First thing first, make sure you're putting the mods into a folder in the documents of The Sims 3, it'll be a folder you have to make, just name it Mods. Inside should be two folders, Packages and Overrides. Inside the mod folder should also be a txt file made with notepad, it should say Resource.cfg inside should say.

Priority 501
DirectoryFiles Files/... autoupdate
Priority 1000
PackedFile Overrides/*.package
PackedFile Overrides/*/*.package
PackedFile Overrides/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Overrides/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Overrides/*/*/*/*/*.package
Priority 500
PackedFile Packages/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*/*.packages
Priority 499
PackedFile Test/*.package
PackedFile Test/*/*.package
PackedFile Test/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Test/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Test/*/*/*/*/*.package
Priority -50
PackedFile Probation/*.package
PackedFile Probation/*/*.package
PackedFile Probation/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Probation/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Probation/*/*/*/*/*.package
Priority 500
PackedFiles DCCache/*.dbc

Make sure the folders have capital first letters.
Also if you recently updated or haven't updated your sims 3 for a while, make sure to check the mod is still compatible. A way to do this it to check The Sims 3 Laucher, it will say what version you're running. Now, I haven't updated mine to 1.63 and am still running 1.55, so say if I were to download a mod that worked with patch 1.63 and no lower, it wouldn't work. Sometimes the same can be said about mods under 1.63 if something in 1.63 broke it. Also make sure you're if it's in a zip, that you're opening it and putting the .rar file into the Packages folder. May I also suggest if you are of the sort to get over 100 hairs and clothes and makeup that you check out something called S3P or sims 3 packer. You can combine hair, clothes, make up, and accessory files with this to keep your package folder under 100 packages and your game lag and freezing free. Don't combine mod packages with this that change a function of your game. I would also suggest looking up 3booter and Game razor to use in conjunction with each other to make your game run faster.

If your game has been boring you, I suggest you get Twallans Careers mod and Relativity mod. It's really fun. Also check out modthesims for other mods or help if mods still do not work.

Postby Asmodai » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:31 am

Done all of that, I even used a premade framework from Modethesims.com. None of it worked.

I've given up on it, and promptly uninstalled the game... because I also felt a little silly for installing the Sims 3 again.
Mephobiac

Postby AngelofGeek » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:58 am

May I know which mods you had downloaded?

Postby Asmodai » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:01 pm

just some standard clothing stuff, nothing grand. Even something as simple as the nointro mod didnt work, so eh.
Mephobiac

Postby AngelofGeek » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:50 pm

That's strange, did you use the new updated nointro for the maxis thing?

Postby Asmodai » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:05 am

I'm assuming that there's no difference in the mod version

It didnt matter what mod I put in there, none worked. It doesnt matter though, I already uninstalled the game. I really only did it on a whim :P
Mephobiac

Return to Snafu Gaming