What do you think of "cheating"?

100% GAMES! Use this forum to discuss any game in any context and to organize get-togethers, guilds, and tournaments with your fellow Snafu posters.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Postby Sentios » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:40 pm

Lengeta wrote:Any decent online game should be killing new hacks, that's what I mean. People shouldn't be ABLE to cheat.

I'd actually perfer cheaters and hackers to some of the hack shields out there... I mean come the fuck on I can't minimize? I can't have WMP running?
Wizard Status. 5 more years

Postby Kris » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:50 am

I'd NEVER cheat online with other people. But I do use guides. Usually on large scale games. If it's something like God of War or Okami, I'll only look up things when I get stuck.
As far as cheat codes go, I do use them sometimes, again on larger games. Sometimes I just want to get through the story already. Playing through the story is more important to me.
Kris: that's Han Solo
Nix: That guys always smoking foo's
Nix: He be all "Nigga Vada please!"

Darkstar Studios
----------------------------------------------
Wildcard: Kris is the most beautiful man alive
Kris: aww, thanks Wayne

Postby BG07 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:50 pm

Outside of cheat codes and whatnot... there's a completely different kind of cheating that really pisses me off sometimes...

Screen cheating... when you're playing a multiplayer FPS on the same tv as three other people, this kind of thing ALWAYS happens...

You glance over to the other person's screen just to know where they're hiding... bastards...

Postby Lengeta » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:46 pm

Awesome! You've developed the exact same name for screen-cheating that we have.

Back in the Golden-eye/Perfect Dark 64 days, I was a fucking GOD at screen-cheating. You'd know everything going on with every other single person. Their location and where they were going to, their health, itmes, social security number, everything... it was amazing. I can't do it anymore though, to used to everyone having their own TV/computer. So not a big problem anymore, most FPS's aren't played that way this day in age, and if you are, it's your good friends, so not a big deal.

Postby EagleMan » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:08 pm

BG07 wrote:Outside of cheat codes and whatnot... there's a completely different kind of cheating that really pisses me off sometimes...

Screen cheating... when you're playing a multiplayer FPS on the same tv as three other people, this kind of thing ALWAYS happens...

You glance over to the other person's screen just to know where they're hiding... bastards...

You see their screen no matter what, regardless if your not even focusing on it.

Postby Coos » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:34 pm

Lol, we call Screen Cheating "Screen looking" when I play with my friends [same thing still] and when someone does it, its obvious that they do, but they dont admit it, and then someone whines.
I hate my friends.

Postby GuardianX » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:38 pm

I call it screen looking. I don't often play with other people, but when I do, I almost always screen look. I can't help it.

Postby Glahardt » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:21 pm

Hey, hey. It's fun, y'know? Just paying with friends and shit. Hell, I kept glancing at the guy's screen and he did the same with mine, both of us knew, no biggie, the game was still fun.

Postby Yoshi » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:09 pm

I thought "screen-cheating" was the de facto name for it? Bah, if you're playing on the one screen you know the risks. If you're that paranoid about it play a PC/system link game.
"Worst case scenario I'll get arrested for public nudity.
Best case scenerio I'll get arrested for public nudity with a boner. It's win win.
" ~ Dave
"Also Yoshi is the most important person in all of Australia." ~ Zepherin

Postby Wazit » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:09 pm

Haha, me and my friends always turn our computer screens away from each other when we sit next to each other

Postby Flama the foxangel » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:35 pm

Glahardt wrote:
Flama the foxangel wrote:I don't consider using glitches as cheating because is the fault of the programmers and the game testers of letting something like that stay in the game, like the cloning glitch in Pkmn Emerald.
Still cheating, because it's not supposed to happen. If you have even played BF2142, you would've heard of the notorious "invincible titan knife-man" bug, where a player can actually drop into the enemy's titan, in an area which is only restricted to the enemy, it's the spawn point of the titan. Not only that, once they drop in, they become invincible. And when that happens, the 'tards usually start knifing the enemies to get their dogtags and massive knife kills.
So, you still don't consider exploiting a bug cheating?

Ok now I see it. But how can the game testers fail to find those big glitches?

Postby EagleMan » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:35 pm

Theres thousands upon thousands of lines of codes, one mess up can provide a multitude of inadvertent glitches.

Its nearly impossible to fix all bugs as games get bigger and better.

Postby Glahardt » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:35 pm

One man can only think of so many things.
The thing is, there are only few testers, whereas when the game is released, thousands over people play the games with different styles, techniques and such, and lot have gone to places where testers have never been. And, of course, they release patches to fix the problems.
Try writing a program. Any language, Java, C, C++, VBScript, take your pick.

Postby Alucard666 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:40 pm

Yea, they shouldn't have touched Gears of War at all. They fixed some AWESOME AND FUN GLITCHES EVERYONE USED, and fucked up the gameplay. You stick to walls now and shit...ugh

Postby Yoshi » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:37 am

Glahardt wrote:One man can only think of so many things.
The thing is, there are only few testers, whereas when the game is released, thousands over people play the games with different styles, techniques and such, and lot have gone to places where testers have never been. And, of course, they release patches to fix the problems.
Try writing a program. Any language, Java, C, C++, VBScript, take your pick.

VB and C#, and yes, it is possible to release a bug free program. However, it is pretty inevitable that the more code the more bugs, and they can only do so much in a set time period.
"Worst case scenario I'll get arrested for public nudity.
Best case scenerio I'll get arrested for public nudity with a boner. It's win win.
" ~ Dave
"Also Yoshi is the most important person in all of Australia." ~ Zepherin

Postby Hana » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:22 pm

Offline: If it's a game I've played before, I may use a cheat to make myself a high level or give a massive amount of money, just to remove the whole "slogging" aspect that would bore me out of re-playing it.

Online: The closest I get to cheating is being powerleveled in a couple of MMOs, but I don't really consider that cheating. 1, because of the social aspect, which the game is built around. While the High Priest in RO is taking the hits and I can autoattack the monster and not worry about being hit, we can have nice little chats. When I'm stuck in GH Abbey by myself or with my perm monk partner who's the same level as me, we have to constantly watch ourselves, and conversations are interrupted by "MIMIC!" or "MOBRUN!" quite a bit.

2, There's also a drawback to being powerleveled in that manner, though, which takes it so far out of the realm of cheating that you really can't classify it as such. In the normal course of leveling, you get money and/or loot, which gets you money, so you can properly outfit yourself. With powerleveling, you don't, so you're stuck with crappy equips.

In regards to hacks and glitch exploits and such? Wrong. Immoral. Those people should die in a fire.
Official Forum Mom
Wayward

Previous

Return to Snafu Gaming