What do you think of "cheating"?

100% GAMES! Use this forum to discuss any game in any context and to organize get-togethers, guilds, and tournaments with your fellow Snafu posters.

Moderator: Mod Squad

What do you think of "cheating"?

Postby Flama the foxangel » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:22 pm

Is "cheating" (using codes to beat a game easily or use a guide for all the game)good or bad for you?
I don't understand why some people think that it doesn't matter, as I said is cheating (in my opinion and the opinion of other gamers), other people take the effort to resolve the puzzles of a game or beat all the enemies meanwhile others just put a code and they end with the highest rankings. What's the point of buying a game if you don't play it? With this people start realising that they waste hours trying to figure how to do something in the game when they could use a guide or buy Action Replay to beat it all fast and then they don't want to play the game anymore in the correct form. Then all the effort that the programers put in the game is wasted too.
Well that's my opinion, tell yours...
EDIT: Forget what I said of game guides, almost everyone needs one some time.
Last edited by Flama the foxangel on Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Alucard666 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:31 pm

Nothin wrong with cheating, as long as it's not online.

Postby Coos » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:34 pm

I only cheat when I get bored of something.
and it if it pisses people off when I'm online, I really couldn't give a damn.

Postby Melcadrien » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:39 pm

The whole opinion on whether cheating is good or bad is by the person's own choice. But in my own preference cheating is okay if it isn't online and if you are stuck and you have no idea.

Postby Glahardt » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:55 pm

Cheating is for losers, really. I used to cheat a whole lot, but since I started buying original games, that's where I stopped, since this is what I think: "I'm playing original... And I'm paying loads of cash for it... Cheating kinda takes away the meaning." and stuff like that. I was quite reluctant to cheat on CnC3, even when I was stuck.

Walkthroughs ain't that bad, though. Actually, quite far from cheating. It merely gives tips, hints, and guides you, you still need the skills even if you know where the enemies are, what are their weaknesses, where you're supposed to go and so on. Hell, I finished Bioshock and failed to find all Power To The People stations, and looked for them with the help of walkthroughs on my second go.

Postby Risen Hell Fire » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:14 pm

I've cheated in games before, but not anymore but if you try at a competition you're asking to get your ass kicked.
This is the internet, things are either the equivalent of the clouds parting and the right hand of god descending and handing you a wad of hundred dollar bills, or the worse than the holocaust, potato famine, 9/11, and the black death combined and merged with the ebola virus.

Location: Telling assholes what I have to say. Whether they want to hear it or not.

Postby Sentios » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:20 pm

Some people are only interested in the story of a game hence why they'll cheat to beat it fast. Others cheat just to get 100% of the game beat because that last 20% is obscure and sadistic to do normally. Still others cheat to liven up the game and create replay value.

Either way so long as it's not online it's fine.

Oh and walkthroughs aren't cheating, some of the things required to beat some games are just pure luck to come across. (tales of symphonia, took me forever to find that dam linkite tree even when I knew where to look because the characters were in the way most of the time.)
Wizard Status. 5 more years

Postby Dorian » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:40 pm

If it's not online or in any form of multiplayer, then it's totally your call whether it's 'wrong' or not.

There were times in games where being invincible and just blowing shit up was more fun, which for me goes all the way back to Doom.

There were times when the game was too stressful on normal, even though I probably could do it if I wanted to. Any RTS single player like Starcraft or Warcraft applies there. In which case I was just playing to see the story.

Then there are times when I had already beaten a certain game and just felt like playing again but not do a lot of tedious stuff, like using a Game Shark on Final Fantasy VII after beating it 2-3 times legit.
Never asked for this

Postby Kaj » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:59 pm

I don't usually use codes but I do take advantage of any useful glitches I find in a game.

Postby Bk-o » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:25 pm

I'm not particularly good at adventure games (Not at ALL good) so I've found myself using walkthroughs A LOT. But cheating just to make the game easier cheapens the experience. But yeah, as long as it's no online I think it doesn't matter, only to the person.
I fight Muppets with tactility inhibitions on a regular basis.

Postby EagleMan » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:01 am

Some people like to merely know what happens at the end of a game or just for a sense of replayability to be able to screw around in your game with cheats. (GTA anyone? So much fun.)

Postby Next-Gen. » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:40 am

Cheating can be...screw it. i'm too tired.
Name: NG
Griddles wrote:I'm a sadistic bastard :P

Word's, spoken from the master.

Postby Lengeta » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:50 am

Both. Games should be enjoyable, and if something particular is annoying, say like Dead Rising for example, it's time to cheat. It depends where you get your sense of accomplishment from. Do you want immersion, or completion? Do you want to play the shit out of this game, or just beat it. Some games just take WAY to much time to play, some are way to great to stop playing. So it depends how you get your satisfaction.

I typically play through a game by myself, no cheating, no guides, and on hard mode (unless it's REALLY fucking hard). If there's any replay value I'll play more/again, uncovering secrets and whatnot. But stuff like Metroid and Zelda, yeah, nobody should be collecting every missile upgrade and heart piece without a guide. Fuck that, waist of time.

Postby Material Defender » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:24 am

TheCoosinator wrote:I only cheat when I get bored of something.

Go to hell.

Seriously. Online cheating is the worst thing imaginable. WHAT is so fun about ruining the fun of everyone else on the server? And that there is no compeition. Don't be a douchebag.

That said, I agree mostly with Len on cheating offline. But there are some cheats that are made to just be used for fun, which I occasionaly use on my third time through just for shits and giggles.

Postby Glahardt » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:39 am

I take back what I said about cheating. RAMPAGE IS FUN.

Postby Nox » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:01 am

Games were made for us to have fun.

If cheating helps one to achieve this, then by all means!
even I wouldnt mind using God-mode once in a while, but its better if you win the game first before resorting to shortcuts.

..at least thats what I think.

Postby Dorian » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:59 am

TheCoosinator wrote:I only cheat when I get bored of something.

Never have I been more tempted to abuse mod powers and ban someone. Though unlike you, I'm against doing things that would make me online scum. Though, I hope you get stabbed, in real life. People who cheat in online games deserve pain.
Never asked for this

Postby Wazit » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:11 am

I used to cheat a lot... now I refrain from using cheats whenever possible, only used them in RTS games when I lose at least twice in a level,. But yeah, cheating is okay unless you're cheating online.

Postby Sentios » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:10 pm

There are times when cheating online is okay, but that's only with friends who also know how to cheat... granted God-mode wouldn't be too fun of a cheat to use but speed hacking against a speed hacking friend could be interesting depending on the game.

Really that was one of the interesting things about Starcraft, if you used a cheat it applied to everyone else as well... well with a few exceptions...
Wizard Status. 5 more years

Postby Coos » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:21 pm

Oh guys calm down. I rarley do it anyway. I know cheating is for assholes, but what about when half of the people i play online with do it to me?

Added after 4 minutes:

Dorian- Worst excuse to ban someone.

EDIT: And one more thing, if you think I do the cheating as in Hacking, think again. I have no fucking clue on how to do that complicated shit. If it was an online cheat, it would what everyone else does, Get out of the level for a round and laugh.
EDIT EDIT: I guess I should've been more specific in my first post.

Postby Emerald Emblem » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:40 pm

Are those people on MKDS who leave you in their dust cheaters, the ones with 3 stars I mean?

I hate those people cause they zoom ahead and wait before the finish line just to rub it in. But I got one over one of them. I hit them with a red shell and crossed the line before them.

In Conclusion: Online = No
Regular: depends whether I can't figure it out on my own.
Lily: few people here are worthy of my rape

Postby Material Defender » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:43 pm

Dorian- Worst excuse to ban someone.

Not really. Online cheating is probably the most deplorable thing thing ever.

Postby Coos » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:54 pm

Ok, I understand, but like I said, I rarely do it, and If I do, its' with people who made the game that feel like doing that cheat.
The only reason I posted
"and it if it pisses people off when I'm online, I really couldn't give a damn."
Was because some people that join those games are like 5, and they complian like crazy.
they shouldn't have joined it in the first place.

Postby EagleMan » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:55 pm

There is no online cheating as far as I know, I havent seen a game yet where the developers actually put in cheat codes for online play.

I'd only understand glitchers and hackers. (Which the latter I would rarely if ever see.)

Postby Coos » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:57 pm

That's right, and when I mean cheating I mean glitching.
And when I mean glitching I mean being a little peppy fag in a game with other peppy faggots eager to get out of Fuel Depot in Gears of War.
EDIT: [Why the fuck do I keep leaving stuff out]

Next

Return to Snafu Gaming