EVO World

100% GAMES! Use this forum to discuss any game in any context and to organize get-togethers, guilds, and tournaments with your fellow Snafu posters.

Moderator: Mod Squad

EVO World

Postby Lengeta » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:19 pm

Hey everyone! I'm heading down to Las Vegas to participate in the EVO World nationals Smash Bros. tournament. I was just curious if any other forumites where heading to the event. I'll be there with a small Northern Utah crew. If there's anyone going that plays Smash, we should definitely meat up for some friendlies. There's plenty of time throughout all the tournaments, and I'll have my Cube/etc. all ready to go in the console free-play for the majority of the thing I'm thinking.

But yeah, everyone come get raped by my Falco. (shame your not going to be able to make it, IoZ T_T )

Postby Coos » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:56 pm

I hope you lose.
I mean, have fun. Watch out for Pro Jigglypuff's.

Postby sfox8 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:43 am

TheCoosinator wrote:I hope you lose.
I mean, have fun. Watch out for Pro Jigglypuff's.

Sleep ftw!

Have fun though. I don't go to tournaments because I'd get pwned. I feel I'm pretty good with Ice Climbers and Kirby but I'm sure I'd get beat by all the pros who practice every day.

Re: EVO World

Postby Kazuo Kiriyama » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:20 pm

I'll be there to compete in the Guilty Gear tournament, as well as play a bunch of other games.

I'm not very good at Smash but I'll definitely be playing a little bit of it here and there. I'd definitely be down for playing you.

Postby Next-Gen. » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:52 pm

My only basic problem, I don't have the cash.

Goo Luck though. Look out for Kirby's.
Name: NG
Griddles wrote:I'm a sadistic bastard :P

Word's, spoken from the master.

Postby Mystery XIII » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:53 am

ugh finally a competition here and i'm broke. i hate irony i hate it with a passion. -__-
guilt...

Postby Lengeta » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:27 pm

Jiggies and Kirbies? WTF? How about Shieks, Marths, Foxes, and other Falcos, that sounds better.

But yeah... maybe I'll see you around Kazuo. I'll probably be wearing a Heartless shirt or one of Dave's other one's if you know what they look like. Look for the big loud kid that plays bowser, I'll be somewhere around him.

Postby Sentios » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:16 am

No, no. Kirbys are what you have watch out for. If they suck you in and fall you both die, my friends little bro used to do it all the time in the N64 one. Needless to say all they have to do is take you down with them every time they die and get in a lucky kill or two. Nothing quite like trashing someone else's score because you can't beat them.

Anyways I won't be going as 1 it's far away and I have no vehicle, 2 I have work, 3 I suck at just about every game (which is funny since my family thinks I'm great, the reaction when I say "You should see what it's like when the GOOD people play" is funny)... I'm seriously waiting for one that I'm actually comparatively good at.
Wizard Status. 5 more years

Postby Yoshi » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:54 am

Kirby isn't useful like that in competition play as the time it takes to fall the other player gets out and has a chance to escape, not to mention you die before them leading to them winning.
"Worst case scenario I'll get arrested for public nudity.
Best case scenerio I'll get arrested for public nudity with a boner. It's win win.
" ~ Dave
"Also Yoshi is the most important person in all of Australia." ~ Zepherin

Postby Sentios » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:09 am

You would think that however if you happen to have a character with poor recovery, you're toast. Sometimes Kirby even manages to save his own ass being one of the best recovering characters in the game.

Postby Lengeta » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:48 pm

Falco has pretty horrible recovery and he can get back just fine... and yeah, that's not a viable tactic really. Just wiggle the control stick next time you get sucked in and you'll never fall victim to this again. Stuff like Fox's shine-spike is MUCH more of an issue.

Besides, Kirby can't suck laser spam.

Postby Sentios » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:25 pm

Well like I said it was the 64 version that he did it in... I never played melee with him, too much of a pain to drag my cube over there.

Postby Next-Gen. » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:58 am

You should see some of the moves I can do with a Kirby. It ain't pretty.

Postby Lengeta » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:57 pm

Smash 64 is broken; Kirby, Pikachu, and Ness are all GODS.

Postby Kazuo Kiriyama » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:07 pm

Smash Bros Melee is broken. Fox, Falco, Sheik, and Marth are all GODS.

Postby InterimOfZeal » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:26 pm

sfox8 wrote:I feel I'm pretty good with Ice Climbers and Kirby but I'm sure I'd get beat by all the pros who practice every day.

Kirby sucks, and I'm not talking about his neutral b. Also, most pros don't practice every day. Hell, some of them play ~maybe~ once a week. But yeah, you wouldn't even make it to the pros, unless you were lucky enough to have on in your pools.

Lengeta wrote:Jiggies and Kirbies? WTF? How about Shieks, Marths, Foxes, and other Falcos, that sounds better.

But yeah... maybe I'll see you around Kazuo. I'll probably be wearing a Heartless shirt or one of Dave's other one's if you know what they look like. Look for the big loud kid that plays bowser, I'll be somewhere around him.

PROTIP: He also LOOKS like Bowser, and johns a LOT.

Sentios wrote:No, no. Kirbys are what you have watch out for. If they suck you in and fall you both die, my friends little bro used to do it all the time in the N64 one. Needless to say all they have to do is take you down with them every time they die and get in a lucky kill or two. Nothing quite like trashing someone else's score because you can't beat them.

Anyways I won't be going as 1 it's far away and I have no vehicle, 2 I have work, 3 I suck at just about every game (which is funny since my family thinks I'm great, the reaction when I say "You should see what it's like when the GOOD people play" is funny)... I'm seriously waiting for one that I'm actually comparatively good at.

Kirby is shit. He was good in 64, but not because of Kirbycide crap. If that's what killed you, you really suck at this game. Lemme guess, DK's cargo hold too much for you, too?

Also, don't brag about your family thinking you're good. Chances are they were dropped on their heads as children.

Sentios wrote:You would think that however if you happen to have a character with poor recovery, you're toast. Sometimes Kirby even manages to save his own ass being one of the best recovering characters in the game.

LULZ@ Kirby's recovery being one of the best in the game. He gets 5 jumps and an up+b, but somehow is still really easy to kill. Just hit him between the 2nd and 4th jump (or after, if they don't just up+b, which is also really easy to edgeguard), and he's dead. Period. gb2 smashtom

Next-Gen. wrote:You should see some of the moves I can do with a Kirby. It ain't pretty.

As in you'd get raped with a garbage character. Bowser is above him in the tier list. The ONLY good Kirby player is KrazyKirbyKidd, and he doesn't even do that well, despite having the most amazing Kirby I've seen. There's also the guy in Germany, but he hardly counts, seeing as he can't come over here to play, and every country except the US sucks at SSBM, with Japan only being moderately decent (SURPRISE!).

Kazuo Kiriyama wrote:Fox is a GOD.

Fix'd. The rest of them are beatable, if not easy to beat. Doc can mess up Sheik pretty badly, and do well against Marth (notsomuch Falco due to laser spam, but even that's fixable), Ganon can stomp Marth if played properly, Peach can take all three, Pikachu can own Falco (actually, anyone can, really), Jiggz can own any of the three if played right (ala King)... the list goes on. Only character without a true counter (or series of them) is Fox. He rapes everyone ever. Period.

Added after 2 minutes:

Have fun, Layne. If Taj/Wobbles/Anyone from AZ is there, tell them I said hi. Same goes for Zoap.
Dave wrote:wait... bobsagat is asian? Really? When did THIS happen?

Jay wrote:A horrible accident during an audition halved the length of his penis.

Postby Next-Gen. » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:52 pm

IOZ, get faster at being first.

BTW, Ness sucks.

Postby Yoshi » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:23 am

Ness is awesome. Jiggly is where it's all at. Yes, I'm a Jiggly player.
"Worst case scenario I'll get arrested for public nudity.
Best case scenerio I'll get arrested for public nudity with a boner. It's win win.
" ~ Dave
"Also Yoshi is the most important person in all of Australia." ~ Zepherin

Postby Next-Gen. » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:22 pm

It's not Ness, it's his control's, there just awful.

Postby Lengeta » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:11 pm

InterimOfZeal wrote:PROTIP: He also LOOKS like Bowser, and johns a LOT.

I LoLed!

InterimOfZeal wrote:Have fun, Layne. If Taj/Wobbles/Anyone from AZ is there, tell them I said hi. Same goes for Zoap.

I won't recognize them... but ok!

Kazuo Kiriyama wrote:Smash Bros Melee is broken. Fox, Falco, Sheik, and Marth are all GODS.

I'll actually agree to that for the most part. It's not broken, but those characters clearly have advantage over the rest of the cast, with Doc and Peach falling shortly behind. Brawl already seems to be tipping the scale in the right direction giving heavy-weights un-interruptible moves, and the talk of more aerial game means much less inescapable/cheap combos. I'm excited!

Postby InterimOfZeal » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:53 am

NextGen, why would I work to be able to reply first? So I could say "In b4 scrubs being fucking retarded"? GG, son.

Doc is easy mode to beat, a good Peach can be a pain, but so can a good CF (who can combo the hell out of Marth and Peach, and kill them at retarded low percents with the knee of justice), a good DK (Bum took 4th at, what... FC6? He beat Chu Datz, and took a match from M2K, and rapes every other space animal ever, as well as everyone else ever), a good Luigi (Ka-Master took 7th at the same tournament), ICs (holy shit ChuDatz took 3rd at OC3, yayuhhzz!), a good Samus (HugS has taken below top 10 in a large tournament in never), and a good... well, damn near anything except for characters that should be in garbage tier, ala Pichu.

Yeah, some characters are easier to play as/have the advantage, but that's how fighting games always have been and always will be. The only way to make a game completely balanced is to just have a clone battle game. The talk of more aerial game means different "inescapable/cheap combos". Seriously, you can get out of ~almost~ everything, sans most of the shit Fox can do to anyone ever (he's gay, though still beatable, it's fucking hard), and maybe a few Sheik 2-3 hit combos.

Any combo that goes over 2-3 hits that doesn't involve CGing is a result of you being too predictable/DIing poorly. Granted, I get stuck in these combos as well, but they are ALL escapable. You have to outthink and outplay them, is all.

Fox is hard, there's no denying that, Falco is overrated, and incredibly easy to kill, which makes all of his flashy combos worthless (ever wonder why even Forward uses Sheik against HugS' Samus?), Sheik is hella easy to combo, and easy to kill. Just don't get grabbed, haha. Marth is probably the 2nd best character in the game (though that's only M2K's Marth), but you just need to outspace him to win. Learn to DI, to predict, and to mindgame, and you won't find yourself being stuck in as many "inescapable" combos.

Unless it's Fox. He's still fucking gay.

Jay wrote:A horrible accident during an audition halved the length of his penis.

Postby Rival » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:58 am

Sentios wrote:Well like I said it was the 64 version that he did it in... I never played melee with him, too much of a pain to drag my cube over there.

You could still get out of it on the 64 version by wiggling the stick, too.

Anyways, obviously I won't be there, good luck kicking Fox ass, Layne. God, I hate Fox in Melee. My German cousin fucks me up with him constantly, everytime he comes to visit.

Postby Lengeta » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:29 pm

Fox is my secondary, along with Young Link and Roy, but Fox is the better of the three. I play with these characters because they feel right, they feel gooood. I have to play a little differently with Fox though, like I have to position and move my fingers differently to short-hop, so I don't like playing Fox as much.

But oh MAN! It feels so good to get knocked way off the edge only to up-B back after playing Falco all day...

Postby Kaj » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:05 pm

I'm a random player. I can easily play as any character, exept Ness, I suck at Ness. But when a match comes along that I know will be a real challange I go Ganondorf. My friend is one of the best players in FL. With two of his friends being the other two, lol. He's a Fox player (of course) and they are Marth and Yoshi players. I've never heard of any big tourneys being held in FL.... I could be wrong though.

Postby InterimOfZeal » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:12 pm

Kaj, you're friends with DaShizWiz? Nice.

Next

Return to Snafu Gaming