Games we regret buying

100% GAMES! Use this forum to discuss any game in any context and to organize get-togethers, guilds, and tournaments with your fellow Snafu posters.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Games we regret buying

Postby Teran » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:00 pm

Can't be as bad as Sonic the Hedgehog, which should be renamed to "Sonic Disaster".
Disclaimer: If you don't agree with my opinion, I'm not a comic reviewer or a writer, I'm just an asshole. There, I just saved myself two months of psychological torment.

Postby Marquis de Soth » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:31 pm

Hmm...Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly. The game was just way to glitchy and way too short. The only thing that made it partially worthwhile was this fun glitch that I could use to mess with the entire game. Other then that, it was a total piece of crap.
Marquis de Soth

Postby Mr.Button-Eyes » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:45 am

Hmm. Even worse was Crash Bandicoot: Wrath of Cortex. Loading time took so long I thought there might have been a glitch with the CD or something. Turns out there wasn't. And each time I started the game would take me about 5 minutes and another 5 minutes getting in and out of levels...
How I wonder, What you're at!
bk-o wrote:I feel the hat business is soon going to become a major world thing. Hat economy will boost, and much, much hair will be pressed.

Postby Onizaru » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:59 am

Unlimited Saga:Image
I saw it there on the shelf. It was new (not used) and was only twelve pretty little dollars. Well Those dollars would have made a prettier meal for me and a lady friend at IHOP or something. It wasn't bad in the sense that they didn't know how to program a good game. The storyline wasn't even complete rubbish. It was just that you can't move on your own. Your confined to a damn comic style grid. It gave no good explanation for the battle system and just plain didn't let me be enough of an individual. :'( Why squeenix why did you let me down. Saving grace on there part though. I game it to a hardcore gamer friend and he loved it. Then got frustrated with it and threw it out a window.

King's field/Eternal Ring: ImageImage
Well noted bad game. Passable but still not fun. When you die you are taken back to the title screen immediately. Maybe would have made a good pc game but engh. they suckzors as console games. Unfortunately a tarnish to the name of agetec in my eyes. Saving grace again being that Kings feild has the old school case. The only reason I got it realy.

digimon2/3/4: Image digimon one pic posted so that you know to get it instead of the others
None of them was anything like the first one. Not in the least. I loved the first one. It was like a super complicated digivice. I still have my digivice. I was considering starting to play with the thing agian before school started. They just aren't the same. They are just regular games. ENGHH. I don't want digimon for a regular game. I wan't to raise a damn digimon. I want to have to carry around portapoties so that it can poop wherever it wants. I want it to run around eating all the poop of the old guys when it evolves wrong cause I was too busy training him to let him poop. I want to have a damn meat farm. MEAT FARM!!! I wish I could get my hands on a working copy. I have two unworking copies In my possession. I hope that they will make one (hopefully on the ds) that is just like the original.

I know there are more games I wanna bitch about. I have bought and played many a bad game in my day. But my dog just took a shit on the floor behind Me and I must go beat her with a wet toaster. [spoiler] I would not hit the dog with a toaster wet or otherwise. I did hit her with a paper plate though[/spoiler]

Postby Dorian » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:02 am

I enjoyed Super Paper Mario a lot. Granted, it was different than Paper Mario, but in a good way. I treated it like a classic 2D Mario game with some new features. Who doesn't like the Super Mario series? The writing was also entertaining and the art style was excellent as always. Not the best game ever, but fun.

Anyways, I'm sure I could mention a ton of games I regret buying as there have been many over the years, but for recently, I'd go with Final Fantasy XII.

The FF series has had it's ups and downs since I went into it with 7, but I decided to give it a shot nonetheless. Well, first and foremost, the new battle system was a bad call. Basically, it felt like playing an MMORPG by yourself. I already play one of those, so why do I want to play one that's single player? Second, that point buy system, whatever it was called, was illogical. The VGcats comic was pretty apt; Why do I have to spend points to know how to wear a hat?

And maybe most importantly, the story made absolutely no attempt to be interesting in the first.. five hours? I understand giving some games time to settle or really get into a story, but they could have made some attempt to make something interesting from the start.
Never asked for this

Postby Kaj » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:30 am

Donkey Konga 2: the music in the game wasn't even good..... at all.....

Shadow the Hedgehog: need I say any more.

Custom Robo: the game sucked, it was a complete waste of my time. Not enough customization options and the fact that you are constantly locked on to an enemy didn't help either...... Oh yeah, and the story sucked. The aspect of fighting with tiny robots just doesn't seem right. "Stop there villain! I will defeat you in a game of tiny fighting robots!" Although I do have to admit that it did have a kick ass opening video.

Postby Teran » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:46 am

I actually did enjoyed Shadow the Hedgehog. Although it had many glitches, sound voice was terrible (seriously, if you were too fast, the characters skipped their lines and it sound horrible), it had some decent gameplay. Anyways, the best thing of the game was the music.
Disclaimer: If you don't agree with my opinion, I'm not a comic reviewer or a writer, I'm just an asshole. There, I just saved myself two months of psychological torment.

Postby Kaj » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:50 am

The main thing I didn't like was the fact that it was a Sonic character, who just happened to be a hedgehog, that had his own game in which he used guns, but I bought it regardless because of a friends suggestion. That's the last time I take game suggestions from him.

Postby Teran » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:55 am

Yeah, the game didn't received a good reception after all. I bought it because I thought this game was going to revolution Sonic the Hedgehog. Although I liked it... it really had some flaws. Still, had decent gameplay, but well, reception doesn't talks very good of it.

Postby Jingle Males » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:57 am

Some of these games are a bit old but nethertheless:
Star Trek: New Worlds- Good god no.
Earthworm Jim 3D- Big fan of the show and the Snes games, not a big fan of the one for the N64.
Peter Jackson's King Kong DS- Unspeakable.
Spyro: A hero's tale- Too god damn hard, the only thing easy about it is how easy you can die.
Star Fox Command- The story missions feel randomly generated and really challenging, and has a lack of variety in the multiplayer modes.
More to come...
Last edited by Jingle Males on Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
LEMON JELLY LEMON JELLY LEMON JELLY LEMON JELLY
fool my bullets are made of suns

Postby Kaj » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:59 am

Malebolgia the mad one wrote:Peter Jackson's King Kong DS- Unspeakable.

I have no clue why, but that one made me laugh.

Postby Teran » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:02 am

Fact: Most of the videogames based on movies are simply horrible, with really simple elements that give a bad name to the movie.

Postby Jingle Males » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:05 am

I just don't have the nerve to even speak about that dammed game..although it is not the WORST movie game I ever played...but it's pretty laughable nethertheless, almost as laughable as Dukes of Hazzard.

Also I'd like to state another fact: Most games that are based off of cartoons pretty much suck as well.

Postby Kaj » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:18 am

Especially anime games. Except for the Budokai series. Those are actually pretty decent.

Postby Teran » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:22 am

The only real problem of those games are the dubbings, and stuff like that. Heard it on a review, that many original elements from the Japanese game were changed.

Postby Jingle Males » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:23 am

And let's not forget about Nickelodeon games, 65% of them belong in a cesspool of hell, and they shall be burned next to E.T.

Postby Teran » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:26 am

Damn, haven't played those Nickelodeon games, but they look damn horrible. I mean, so many sports, they are Mario Party wanna be!

Postby Jingle Males » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:28 am

Yes, I see you are either talking about
"Lights, Camera, Pants."
Or that other party game that involved a bunch of nick charicters...

But "Lights, Camera, Pants."... I didn't even have the courage to pass the first stage.

Postby Teran » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:32 am

I can barely see hear the name of the game... and not attempt to commit a murder. Graphics look awful, and as said previously, Mario Party wanna be. Simply sounds childish... horrible...

Postby Jingle Males » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:34 am

The mini-games breaks the boundary line of stupidity...trust me, you wouldn't even be able to play one mini-game without having to feel very sick everytime you open your eyes.

Postby Yoshi » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:50 am

Wow. I don't recall a single game I've bought that I ever regretted. Granted, I've been given some terrible games, and I've played some terrible games but I've never actually bought one. Some games I bought on a whim (Such as requiring two purchases to get both for $50 rather than $90 for the one) that turned out to be good fun. Take AvP2 for example. Now, I didn't mind the first one but I just needed a second game for the discount. And it turned out ooookay.

I've been given some terrible ones such as Turok: Evolution (Although surprisingly good fun in multi) or True Crime (PC version). I've been given some great games, too, like Metroid Prime (Gamecube) or Morrowind (It's a great game, STFU).

I dunno, I always have a habit of getting a demo first (Download for PC, demo units for consoles) and getting some decent time with it before enacting a purchase. I never judge games on their predecessors because a sequal can always suck.

In conclusion, I've never bought a bad game.
"Worst case scenario I'll get arrested for public nudity.
Best case scenerio I'll get arrested for public nudity with a boner. It's win win.
" ~ Dave
"Also Yoshi is the most important person in all of Australia." ~ Zepherin

Postby Teran » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:52 am

Hmmm, a game I did regret to buy was "Pokemon Crystal Version". Although the game was good, it was almost exactly as Pokémon Gold & Silver, so I didn't enjoyed playing it.

Postby Jingle Males » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:54 am

I'd like to add the FFX, and FFX-2...A few gamers will find anything good within FFX 1 & 2, and this includes even the most dedicated of perverts.

Postby narutodesu » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:40 am

Naruto Uzumaki Chronicles. I should have just rented it...wasn't worth the money.

Also agreed with Oni on Digimon world 1. I love that game sooooo much I wish my PS2 wasn't a piece of crap as it refuses to read PS1 games otherwise I'd be playing Digimon world 1 right now.

I like most of the games I've bought though..I mean if I didn't like them I wouldn't have bought them.

Postby Teran » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:45 am

But sometimes you expect a lot of a game, and when you buy it, you really regret the fact that you payed for such thing. That's the purpose of the thread. Also, the rented games count, and stuff like that.

PreviousNext

Return to Snafu Gaming