The game development thread(NSF56K) Now with zero ass!

100% GAMES! Use this forum to discuss any game in any context and to organize get-togethers, guilds, and tournaments with your fellow Snafu posters.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Postby Sentios » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:50 am

karauma wrote:OK, can photoshop handle layers?(I have zero experience with photoshop, I use the gimp.) Yes
I'll just post a list of questions.
Can photoshop render noise? ??
Can photo shop make a certain color become transparent? I can make things transparent... although it's extremely tedious since I don't know the correct way.
Can photoshop change the levels of red, green, blue, value(affecting britness) and alpha? It has a tool to mess with levels which I have little to no experience with... although I have no idea what you're talking to about alpha.
Wizard Status. 5 more years

Postby karauma » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:02 am

Sentios wrote:
karauma wrote:OK, can photoshop handle layers?(I have zero experience with photoshop, I use the gimp.) Yes
I'll just post a list of questions.
Can photoshop render noise? ??
Can photo shop make a certain color become transparent? I can make things transparent... although it's extremely tedious since I don't know the correct way.
Can photoshop change the levels of red, green, blue, value(affecting britness) and alpha? It has a tool to mess with levels which I have little to no experience with... although I have no idea what you're talking to about alpha.

Alright, It seems that photoshop can do almost everything necessary, try going to filters, then render, and see if either clouds, or noise are there.
And the deal with alpha is, every pixel has 4 different values, Red Green Blue and Alpha, alpha defines how transparent said pixel is.
Bananamancer

Postby Sentios » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:17 am

Filters -> Noise
Filters -> Render -> Clouds

It's got both of them.

I see so alpha is the transparency. I don't see anything specifically about alpha or at least by that name, the best thing I've been able to do was make something transparent via a layer mask. With the selection tools I can mask just about anything.

Added after 2 minutes:

I can also just do this http://www.axialis.com/tutorials/tutorial-misc001.html

Postby karauma » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:22 am

OK, is there a color option in the filters? If there is, see if there's something like "Color to alpha".
Bananamancer

Postby Sentios » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:35 am

karauma wrote:OK, is there a color option in the filters? If there is, see if there's something like "Color to alpha".

No. From what I can know if you want a transparent thing in photoshop you put it in a layer and delete or hide the background. If I put that image in a layer 1 instead of background then anything I erase becomes transparent.

Postby karauma » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:43 am

Hmm, could you tell my the different things under filters-color it would kind of suck if they didn't have this tool. :unsure:
Bananamancer

Postby Yoshi » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:44 am

Why do you need certain colours transparent?
"Worst case scenario I'll get arrested for public nudity.
Best case scenerio I'll get arrested for public nudity with a boner. It's win win.
" ~ Dave
"Also Yoshi is the most important person in all of Australia." ~ Zepherin

Postby karauma » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:45 am

Because, it's extremely useful for editing textures. Deleting certain colours would work, but not anywhere near as well as making them go transparent.
You create some greyscale noise over an image, mess with how the noise renders, get rid of the white(or black, it doesn't matter) colour it so it looks good, and you have some dirt, Or some paint, or you can use the same technique to have a certain part of a marble floor be degraded, with only some minor changes in how you do it, it's really a wonder technique.
Bananamancer

Postby Sentios » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:52 am

Photoshop does not have a filters -> colors

Postby Hana » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:52 am

Use color selection tool on a multiple-layer document, then hit the delete key, and make sure all layers below are not visible. All pixels of that color will become transparent.

When you save, save as transparent gif or png through the Help>Save Transparent Image dialogue.

Photoshop also has levels and brightness/contrast as well as channel modes.

Photoshop can do everything that GIMP does, and more, I believe. It's a professional art-rendering program, though it's geared more toward photo editing than actual drawing when compared to the Corel products.
Official Forum Mom
Wayward

Postby Yoshi » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:53 am

Oh, if it's just black or white and you want it to decrease in opacity over the scale (White = transparent, light grey = barely visible, grey = half-opaque, and so on) just use the layer effects like screen and multiply.
Best case scenerio I'll get arrested for public nudity with a boner. It's win win.
" ~ Dave

Postby Hana » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:56 am

If he wants to save the image for immediate textural applications in an engine, it will have to be its own file, rather than applied to the base texture.

Of course, that takes up more resources in running the game engine, but it takes less time in mapping and creating textures to just do tiling base textures and overlay effect textures on certain areas.

But I only have a teeny bit of 3d experience, so don't put too much stock in what I say.
Official Forum Mom
Wayward

Postby karauma » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:59 am

Hana wrote:Use color selection tool on a multiple-layer document, then hit the delete key, and make sure all layers below are not visible. All pixels of that color will become transparent.

When you save, save as transparent gif or png through the Help>Save Transparent Image dialogue.

Photoshop also has levels and brightness/contrast as well as channel modes.

Photoshop can do everything that GIMP does, and more, I believe. It's a professional art-rendering program, though it's geared more toward photo editing than actual drawing when compared to the Corel products.

I know, What I want is the ability to affect it's transparency, not make it permanently invisible. Thanks though. ^_^
Oh, if it's just black or white and you want it to decrease in opacity over the scale (White = transparent, light grey = barely visible, grey = half-opaque, and so on) just use the layer effects like screen and multiply.
Sorry, I'm having trouble understanding what you're saying.

Added after 1 minutes:

Hana wrote:If he wants to save the image for immediate textural applications in an engine, it will have to be its own file, rather than applied to the base texture.

Of course, that takes up more resources in running the game engine, but it takes less time in mapping and creating textures to just do tiling base textures and overlay effect textures on certain areas.

But I only have a teeny bit of 3d experience, so don't put too much stock in what I say.

What I'm trying to teach Sentios, is how to create a good tiling texture, that's about it. Maybe I'm just tired, I'm having some trouble understanding what you guys are saying. :unsure:
Bananamancer

Postby Hana » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:00 am

Oh! Affecting a layer's transparency is tooooo easy. There's a transparency slider.

So if you have all your colors on different layers, you can affect their transparencies individually, or as Yoshi said, use a blending mode. It's right there in the Layers box. Lighten or Screen will make darker colors more transparent and Darken or Multiply will make lighter colors more transparent.

Then you also have modes like Overlay, Color Dodge, Color Burn, Linear Light, etc.
Official Forum Mom
Wayward

Postby karauma » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:03 am

Hmmm... This is really troublesome, The technique my brother showed me is really cool, because it can be used for so many things, but I'm not sure if having all of the colours on different layers will allow it to work. Just a second, I'll try to make a detailed explanation.
Bananamancer

Postby Hana » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:05 am

Official Forum Mom
Wayward

Postby Sentios » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:18 am

It's 5 AM and I have a headache... good night peoples.

Postby karauma » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:24 am

That's a pretty good tutorial. :) You should read it sentios, and here's an explanation of the technique my brother taught me.
So, we start off with a picture, since this is more for Yoshi and Hana then you Sentios, so that they can help figure out what tool is what I want, I'm just using flat colour.

Alright, now we ad noise on a new layer, with the x and y size up to the max(These are options in gimp) so that it will be less cloud-like, and more like static on a screen.

Now we use the "colour to alpha" tool in gimp, and turn the black invisible, but we don't delete it entirely.

Now using the levels tool to screw with alpha, we can get different effects, such as the following.

So, any idea what the "color to alpha" equivalent is in photoshop?

Added after 16 seconds:

Sentios wrote:...

It's 5 AM and I have a headache... good night peoples.

'night.
Bananamancer

Postby Yoshi » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:48 am

Ah yes, that. There are colour channels and layer effects for that.
" ~ Dave

Postby karauma » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:43 am

So you can make once colour transparent, but not delete it?

Added after 1 hours 36 minutes:

Alright, this time the newer texture set is on the left, tell me which you like more.
Bananamancer

Re: The game development thread(NSF56K) Now with zero ass!

Postby MDK » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:09 am

God....you guys make me look like a n00b.
Anyway, i´m not completely sure but i think that the "Color to alpha" equiuvalent in PS woul be.
Select a color using the magic wand

then go to.
Select>Similiar

then hit the "Delete" key.

Thats one thing I missed from the GIMP in PS T.T
Well...gotta leave now, i'm still stuck in 2d game development.
"When I grew up, I put away childish things, including the desire to appear grown up."
ImageImageImageORIGINULCHARCTOR DO NOT STEEL!

Re: The game development thread(NSF56K) Now with zero ass!

Postby Kaj » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:44 pm

Found this just a few minutes ago.

http://www.filterforge.com/

Postby Sentios » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:19 pm

Results of deleting black noise (the noise in photoshop is extremely fine however):

At least I can use the basic functions -_-: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/ ... thblur.jpg

Postby karauma » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:20 pm

@MDK: everyone starts off with 2D, and in my opinion should stay with it until they're comfy, and really, I love 2D, It's so simple. XD
@Kaj: if that was the only way to effect transparency in this way, then I would just have sentios use gimp. lol
@sentios:OK, I just realized what you need to do. render some noise like you did, leave the black there, and then go into levels, and effect value, with levels you can change contrast, and how much black there is rather than white, screw around with it and try to get the contrast higher, and have more white then black OK.
Bananamancer

Postby Kaj » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:44 pm

Oh, no I wasn't suggesting that you use it. I was just sharing something that I found.

PreviousNext

Return to Snafu Gaming