The game development thread(NSF56K) Now with zero ass!

100% GAMES! Use this forum to discuss any game in any context and to organize get-togethers, guilds, and tournaments with your fellow Snafu posters.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Postby karauma » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:14 am

Using another engine isn't just for hobbyists. Many say that if you want to make a game, don't make an engine, buy one. I personally prefer programming though.lol
Bananamancer

Postby Yoshi » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:18 am

I hope you didn't insinuate programming was a useless job.

Also, what engine are you guys using and what language? I'm presuming C++ because you mentioned it but is the engine in-house or someone else's?
"Worst case scenario I'll get arrested for public nudity.
Best case scenerio I'll get arrested for public nudity with a boner. It's win win.
" ~ Dave
"Also Yoshi is the most important person in all of Australia." ~ Zepherin

Postby karauma » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:22 am

Yoshi wrote:I hope you didn't insinuate programming was a useless job.

Also, what engine are you guys using and what language? I'm presuming C++ because you mentioned it but is the engine in-house or someone else's?

Me? Certainly not. Without programming, there would be no Game engines, or for that matter, programs. Also, Programming allows one to customize everything about their game. And we were talking about The game maker, check it out. http://www.yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Bananamancer

Postby Sentios » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:47 am

This is an interesting thread.

Sadly you'll see nothing from me as I lack the ideas to create games. They'd be rehashes of existing titles at best. Needless to say as I result I also lack the drive and thus capability to make a game... or even the imagery for that matter.

However if anyone needs people to play through their games and test them out I can at the very least do that much. Don't even have to be completed games, though you'll need to be a bit more specific on what I'm testing in that case.
Wizard Status. 5 more years

Postby karauma » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:49 am

Cool. ^_^ And have you thought about art? There's always a high demand for game art.
Bananamancer

Postby Yoshi » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:50 am

I meant this:
a lot of the jobs that people do are mostly useless, such as having three concept artists, one for terrain, one for characters, and one for vehicles. Then there's two people for the story, two programmers

Also, get a real engine :)
Best case scenerio I'll get arrested for public nudity with a boner. It's win win.
" ~ Dave

Postby karauma » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:53 am

Ah, m'sees. And I don't use the game maker, I prefer to code my stuff in python.

Added after 2 minutes:

Speaking of which, I think I might have found an actual working python to .exe program, so I may, and I'm not making any promises, be able to show you all my games.
Bananamancer

Postby Sentios » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:59 am

karauma wrote:Cool. ^_^ And have you thought about art? There's always a high demand for game art.

Sentios wrote:or even the imagery for that matter.

Yes. This is the limit of my photoshop skill:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/ ... SCOSig.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/ ... anner2.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/ ... -WHITE.gif

Ya see? I can EDIT images, poorly at that, but I can't create anything new. My current sig was made by a friend, about 3 years ago.

Postby karauma » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:22 am

Ah, but you have no idea how important it is to know how to edit images, what I'm having the most trouble with right now is editing photos to work as textures, level art is a very important part of game design.
Bananamancer

Postby Boymonkey130 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:38 am

I didn't seperate my sentences properly. >.>

What I was trying to emphasize is that, since there was no test to be allowed to help on it, while we have a moderate sized garage-gang of people working on the game, most of the people that are working on things will have short-lived work, simply because there's not much in their line of what they're actually doing.

We have one serious programmer, and one who (supposedly) is going to make dlls and other scripts to help in coding, but other then that we have a whole bunch of people that won't do their jobs because they won't take it seriously, and then we have me and the leader, who have done just about everything we have done...

And yeah, his job is to program a working engine so we can plug all the stuff in and maybe make some more stuff with it later...

I can't organize my thoughts on the whole thing very well... it's pretty disorganized, to tell the truth...

But basically we have a bunch of lazy people assigned to less important jobs, because we know that if we actually start showing progress, they'll eventually work on the small amount of work they have to do... (writing, modeling, etc.)

Since the programmers are new to the whole thing, they're making slow, slow, slow progress, which is probably why they don't see anyone else doing anything, leading me back in a circle to the start of the whole rant...

What I'm trying to say in as few words as I can is that we have too many people assigned to jobs that won't need doing for a while...

And blast it, now I've confused myself

EDIT: The two programmers are working in Dark Basic, a spinoff of Visual Basic that's (supposedly) optimized for game programming. I think it's a weak language, but you can take it into commercial quality...

If I catch to them in C++, then I'll be making physics and dlls...
Last edited by Boymonkey130 on Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Sentios » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:40 am

karauma wrote:Ah, but you have no idea how important it is to know how to edit images, what I'm having the most trouble with right now is editing photos to work as textures, level art is a very important part of game design.

To be honest I don't know how to do it either, google has some programs but I'm cheap. :)

Postby karauma » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:46 am

"But basically we have a bunch of lazy people assigned to less important jobs, because we know that if we actually start showing progress, they'll eventually work on the small amount of work they have to do... (writing, modeling, etc.) "
Less important? Dude, Modeling is the second most important thing to an fps, and really, most games in general. Unless if you're doing a 2D game that is. And especially an FPS, you need high quality models for it to work, you can't have a door knob be part of the door texture, or anything like that, it has to be fully 3D.

Added after 1 minutes:

Sentios wrote:
karauma wrote:Ah, but you have no idea how important it is to know how to edit images, what I'm having the most trouble with right now is editing photos to work as textures, level art is a very important part of game design.

To be honest I don't know how to do it either, google has some programs but I'm cheap. :)

I could give you some tips to get started if you want, I'm no pro, but I've got some experience with it. All of the textures on those buildings I did are edited photos I got online.
Bananamancer

Postby Boymonkey130 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:47 am

Gah!

I'm sorry, I'm out of my mind tonight. O_o

I'm still mixing my ideas together... I didn't mean to say it wasn't an important one, but right now we're not seeing any progress from the people that are assigned to make models of all kinds... They've voiced that they need concept art to begin working on things, but they've been told to take initiative and work on low-polygon bas models for the different vehicles. They know everything about what they're making [i]except[i/] specific details. If they would make base models now, it would not only give us more to test collisions in coding, but it would help test framerate, and save time in the later stages.

I hope I got it right this time... D:>

Postby karauma » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:52 am

Boymonkey130 wrote:Gah!

I'm sorry, I'm out of my mind tonight. O_o

I'm still mixing my ideas together... I didn't mean to say it wasn't an important one, but right now we're not seeing any progress from the people that are assigned to make models of all kinds... They've voiced that they need concept art to begin working on things, but they've been told to take initiative and work on low-polygon bas models for the different vehicles. They know everything about what they're making [i]except[i/] specific details. If they would make base models now, it would not only give us more to test collisions in coding, but it would help test framerate, and save time in the later stages.

I hope I got it right this time... D:>

I think you got it right. lol, It sounds troublesome, maybe you should give your partners a martini party. Heh(don't do that, they'll be even less motivated to work.)And I've got about a 2, maybe 3 month optimal time limit to finish a fair number of textures, and models. Basically enough to create 3 small cities. Textures are giving me the most trouble. -_-
Bananamancer

Postby Boymonkey130 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:04 am

I guess it wouldn't be as much of a hassle if we all had access to the same programs, but we're limited to basically one copy of software per job, with the exception of programming. I have the only terrain editor, our character modeler the only modeling program for that, and vehicle, the same...

I think that we should have pushed them both to get the same program, and make sure it was one that could achieve any task necessary...

They have specialized programs, but I think that they should use something more advanced simply because of potential issues... Once they get into more complex models, they'll be kicking themselves, fighting against their program and trying to get it to do something it's not supposed to let them do...

But I'm probably just overanalyzing, overcriticizing, and looking too far into the future when I think about that...

But then again, I just realized... We have one person specializing in textures/2d graphics... >.> <.<

We should at least split the two tasks apart...

Postby Sentios » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:08 am

karauma wrote:I could give you some tips to get started if you want, I'm no pro, but I've got some experience with it. All of the textures on those buildings I did are edited photos I got online.

Feel free to. I don't know what I'd do with such knowledge but it's something to do at the very least and concidering the online communities I tend to hang around there is a decent chance that I'll actually get to use it.

Postby karauma » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:18 am

Boymonkey130 wrote:I guess it wouldn't be as much of a hassle if we all had access to the same programs, but we're limited to basically one copy of software per job, with the exception of programming. I have the only terrain editor, our character modeler the only modeling program for that, and vehicle, the same...

I think that we should have pushed them both to get the same program, and make sure it was one that could achieve any task necessary...

They have specialized programs, but I think that they should use something more advanced simply because of potential issues... Once they get into more complex models, they'll be kicking themselves, fighting against their program and trying to get it to do something it's not supposed to let them do...

But I'm probably just overanalyzing, overcriticizing, and looking too far into the future when I think about that...

But then again, I just realized... We have one person specializing in textures/2d graphics... >.> <.<

We should at least split the two tasks apart...

By 2D graphics, do you mean GUIs and such?
Feel free to. I don't know what I'd do with such knowledge but it's something to do at the very least and concidering the online communities I tend to hang around there is a decent chance that I'll actually get to use it.

Well, if you want to mess around with it, the first order of business is to find an image that loops, that you would like to edit. go here http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/texture_colour/
Go down and select a category, and then, when you find an image that you like, click on it, and then click full screen, if it loops correctly, then show me, and I'll give you some tips on editing.
Bananamancer

Postby Boymonkey130 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:24 am

yeah, GUI's, any effects that don't need to be 3d, stuff like that...

I think that we should have at least two people working on it, because textures alone are gonna be killer...

Postby Yoshi » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:24 am

Dark Basic? Sorry, but it doesn't matter how optimised for games it is, it's still a derivative of VB.
" ~ Dave

Postby karauma » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:30 am

Boymonkey130 wrote:yeah, GUI's, any effects that don't need to be 3d, stuff like that...

I think that we should have at least two people working on it, because textures alone are gonna be killer...

Yeah, textures are hell, and it does take a little bit of work to get GUIs to look cool, so that may be a good idea.
Dark Basic? Sorry, but it doesn't matter how optimised for games it is, it's still a derivative of VB.

Visual Basic? I don't know who you're responding to. lol
EDIT: never mind, I found the post.
Last edited by karauma on Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bananamancer

Postby Sentios » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:31 am

karauma wrote:Well, if you want to mess around with it, the first order of business is to find an image that loops, that you would like to edit. go here http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/texture_colour/
Go down and select a category, and then, when you find an image that you like, click on it, and then click full screen, if it loops correctly, then show me, and I'll give you some tips on editing.

By loops I assume you mean that it doesn't have seams...

Here how's this? http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/t ... ystal7.gif

Postby Boymonkey130 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:32 am

I disliked it enough to pick up C++, even though he offered me his old version of it... I just don't find it very appealing... It's slow, in my opinion, and it'll probably end up requiring a whole lot of losses just to get a smooth framerate...

I'm not the one that's gonna have to program in it... XD

Postby karauma » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:33 am

Sentios wrote:
karauma wrote:Well, if you want to mess around with it, the first order of business is to find an image that loops, that you would like to edit. go here http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/texture_colour/

By loops I assume you mean that it doesn't have seams...

Here how's this? http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/t ... ystal7.gif

Perfect, though it's a little bright, but that can be changed in an art program. Do you have much experience with Photoshop?
Bananamancer

Postby Sentios » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:41 am

I have a good grasp of the basic function however functions but more advanced stuff not so much...

Postby karauma » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:45 am

OK, can photoshop handle layers?(I have zero experience with photoshop, I use the gimp.)
I'll just post a list of questions.
Can photoshop render noise?
Can photo shop make a certain color become transparent?
Can photoshop change the levels of red, green, blue, value(affecting britness) and alpha?
Bananamancer

PreviousNext

Return to Snafu Gaming