The game development thread(NSF56K) Now with zero ass!

100% GAMES! Use this forum to discuss any game in any context and to organize get-togethers, guilds, and tournaments with your fellow Snafu posters.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Postby Kaj » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:17 pm

I don't understand which version of Python to download....

Postby karauma » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:51 am

I'm actually glad you said that. Download python 2.4, I know it's compatible with pygame(2D game development libraries) wheras I'm not sure that python 2.5 is. so yeah, Python 2.4.
Bananamancer

Postby Kaj » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:12 am

Ok, but there's two versions of the Windows one. One for x86 processors and another for Win64-Itanium users.

Postby karauma » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:48 am

jus' a sec.
Bananamancer

Postby Yoshi » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:54 am

Chucking together a game engine in my spare time.

For those that are interested, DirectX SDK and C#.
"Worst case scenario I'll get arrested for public nudity.
Best case scenerio I'll get arrested for public nudity with a boner. It's win win.
" ~ Dave
"Also Yoshi is the most important person in all of Australia." ~ Zepherin

Postby karauma » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:44 am

Kaj wrote:Ok, but there's two versions of the Windows one. One for x86 processors and another for Win64-Itanium users.

I downloaded the x86 processors one. and it works.
PS. Sorry I took so long to get back to you.
And cool Yoshi. What kind of game are you planning on making with it?
Bananamancer

Postby Kaj » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:51 pm

No problem, and thanks.

Postby karauma » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:18 pm

No problem, and when doing the tutorial, don't skip anything. I think you'd regret it if you did. and if you get bored, just try to bear with it. It's totally worth the trouble.
PS. One more thing, when you get comfy with the syntax of Python, try doing a text based game, where you can move around on an ascii map, and keep adding to it, just don't rush into graphical stuff. It can be damn confusing.
Bananamancer

Postby Yoshi » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:12 am

Basically, I don't intend to make a game quite yet. I just intend to get all the features I want implemented first, such as proper lighting (Ambient thus far, but I just need to properly hook the dynamic DirectX lights), proper terrain (I can get it smoother by using a bigger heightmap but it suffers a big performance drop. Using 256x256 at the moment.), texture maps (In the process for height varying maps so highest peaks will have snow, lowest will have rock, et cetera. I want proper selection based maps.), networking (Not even close to bothering yet.) and of course physics.

Oh, and once the engine has proper character movement and camera control and stuff I want to make a editor base so I don't have to do everything by code.
Best case scenerio I'll get arrested for public nudity with a boner. It's win win.
" ~ Dave

Postby Kaj » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:14 am

Ok, well I'm going to have to hold off on it for a while as I'm having to put my compy in the shop.... I'm posting from my Wii right now because I don't have access to a comp this late at night if it isn't my own.

Postby karauma » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:49 am

Yoshi wrote:Basically, I don't intend to make a game quite yet. I just intend to get all the features I want implemented first, such as proper lighting (Ambient thus far, but I just need to properly hook the dynamic DirectX lights), proper terrain (I can get it smoother by using a bigger heightmap but it suffers a big performance drop. Using 256x256 at the moment.), texture maps (In the process for height varying maps so highest peaks will have snow, lowest will have rock, et cetera. I want proper selection based maps.), networking (Not even close to bothering yet.) and of course physics.

Oh, and once the engine has proper character movement and camera control and stuff I want to make a editor base so I don't have to do everything by code.

Awesome, I've never heard of height varying maps before, but they sound very cool(it also sounds like a bit of a pain in the ass lol).
And OK Kaj, It'll be cool once you start working on it.
^_^
Bananamancer

Postby Yoshi » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:02 am

They aren't really a pain, because with the DX SDK it can analyse pictures quickly and determine grayscale colour value. So basically, it just does 1-50 = rock, 51-100 = sand, 101-150 = grass, and so on.

Also, it auto alpha blends it (Overlaps properly) as long as the initial code is set up correctly.
" ~ Dave

Postby karauma » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:40 am

Cool. It suddenly sounds less evil.

Added after 4 hours 30 minutes:

Well, I didn't do a a new polygon model, but I did a new set of textures. Which for me is by far harder. Check out the new and the old, The one on the right is the new(obviously I hope.)
And now for the roofs.
Well, please comment. I'm fueled by feedback, without it, I am powerless. Oh yeah, because of the texture I edited to make the roof texture, I have to link to this site. http://www.grsites.com/textures/
Bananamancer

Postby Kaj » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:52 pm

I love the textures on the roofs, especially the one on the left.

But the texture on the wood on the front of the houses looks a little bit less realistic. It actually looks kind of like the top of a faux-wood table.

I think the grain of the wood should actually run with the wood longways to give it a more lumber like effect.

Postby karauma » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:02 pm

Kaj wrote:I love the textures on the roofs, especially the one on the left.

But the texture on the wood on the front of the houses looks a little bit less realistic. It actually looks kind of like the top of a faux-wood table.

I think the grain of the wood should actually run with the wood longways to give it a more lumber like effect.

Ditto, but it was my first try, and why spend hours trying to edit something when you could make a newer, better one?
Bananamancer

Postby Kaj » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:30 pm

Very true.

Postby Yoshi » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:00 pm

For some great textures I suggest going out with a decent camera and just taking some close-ups of walls and benches and other things. Works a treat, just check S.T.A.L.K.E.R for an example.
" ~ Dave

Postby karauma » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:53 pm

Yoshi wrote:For some great textures I suggest going out with a decent camera and just taking some close-ups of walls and benches and other things. Works a treat, just check S.T.A.L.K.E.R for an example.

I actually just did that, but unfortunately, I live in AZ, and very rarely is there a day with ambient light. Damn you sun!
Bananamancer

Postby Boymonkey130 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:06 pm

My friends and I are part of a project, I do maps and such. So far I think we're making good progress, but we're having trouble getting the maps to work properly.

Other than that, I've just picked up on C++; as a practice session I'm working on a text adventure game.

And that house looks sweet. >:3
The second one looks more fitting for a horror-style game.

Postby karauma » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:13 pm

Boymonkey130 wrote:My friends and I are part of a project, I do maps and such. So far I think we're making good progress, but we're having trouble getting the maps to work properly.

Other than that, I've just picked up on C++; as a practice session I'm working on a text adventure game.

And that house looks sweet. >:3
The second one looks more fitting for a horror-style game.

So you do level design? Cool. What kind of project are you guys doing?
And thanks, the model took me one day to complete, and the first set of textures(The brick and wood)took me two weeks because of procrastination and inexperience, the second set of textures(The metal and concrete) took me one day. But I feel I should make some changes to the rusty metal.
Bananamancer

Postby Mirak's Mod Ghost » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:22 pm

Karauma, suck my fucking dick for not callimg me to this thread; is the shit.

As most of you know, i make games using game maker and other game engines, wich most of them are pussy point and click shits so i won't name them.

I've been ignoring the drag and drop capacity of GameMaker and instead focused on learning it's language and so far i'm doing pretty good.

Right now i have a project in mind; I always wanted to make a NES/ATARI game, why? Dunno, i always did. So i'm going to use one of my personal made characters to build up a small multiplayer/solo game called 'Pixelman'

I already made the music for it using FL Studio and i made the sprites:

I got 90% of the process ready, i just need to organize 10 more levels and the game'll be made, but i'm experiencing some problems with the coding and so i'll probably delay a little bit longer.

Yeah, this thread is fucking awesome.
Patt-Ytto Productions | Dickwaffles

Postby karauma » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:34 pm

Awesome, I was hoping you'd show up one o' these days Patt, I should have thought to invite you though.
Also, What's the game-play going to be like?
Bananamancer

Postby Boymonkey130 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:05 pm

The game is a rts/fps mix. You can switch cameras mid-game, and when you do, the game style switches.

I think that, with our experience, it would be more realistic to make set areas fps, and others as rts, but my friend (project leader, since he thought it up) and head programmer feels that he's up to the task.

I don't design, actually. Since he told a bunch of friends and basically just let anyone help out, a lot of the jobs that people do are mostly useless, such as having three concept artists, one for terrain, one for characters, and one for vehicles. Then there's two people for the story, two programmers, and one of the important jobs. (character model maker, map model maker, and vehicle model maker.)

I see the whole thing more as an excuse to hang out with friends for a night, but we still get some stuff done...

I have other ideas, but until I get further into C++ I won't really have anything to do. :D

Good luck on yours, too. >:3

Postby karauma » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:08 pm

Thanks. Though I'm currently just doing art. And your project sounds interesting. The gameplay sounds very original too. Please share some screenshots with us when you get to that stage of production.
Bananamancer

Postby Boymonkey130 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:09 am

I'm hoping our other members start actually doing stuff. I know at least ONE storyboarder is working on stuff, but we have nil as far as models go.

Patt, those graphics look cool. One of my friends got me a copy of gamemaker, but I really don't like it all that much... I guess it's just that I see making games as a hobby, while I see actually programming things as what I'm gonna do in the future...

Which is why I'm learning C++, I can make games with it, and that'll help build up some coding experience. :D

PreviousNext

Return to Snafu Gaming