ArcheAge

100% GAMES! Use this forum to discuss any game in any context and to organize get-togethers, guilds, and tournaments with your fellow Snafu posters.

Moderator: Mod Squad

ArcheAge

Postby Sentios » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:04 pm

Found this game by chance, didn't see a thread for it so here we go.

It's supposed to be a game with a large focus on gathering, crafting, constructing player made structures and open world elements (pvp, conquering territories, naval battles and world bosses) rather than instanced everything like wow ended up being. It's a korean game which is in alpha NA/EU localization but it's supposed to open up later this year and there's no NDA so there's already a few twitch/youtube channels for it.

Personally it's piqued my interest. There even seem to be some rewards for exploring the world such as claimable areas that can be built on but don't appear on the in game maps.

http://www.archeagegame.com/en/
Wizard Status. 5 more years
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Re: ArcheAge

Postby Wulfespinndel » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:49 am

That is the most romantic looking game I've ever seen. It feels like it came out of those kinds of novels, albeit in the form of a medieval setting, and it looks quite gorgeous, especially the art.
"Declare the past, diagnose the present, foretell the future; practice these acts. As to diseases, make a habit of two things — to help, or at least to do no harm."
-Hippocrates

KR Series Finished: Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, OOO, Fourze, Wizard
No. of Combat Arms Unbelievables: 3
Live by the Sword die by the Sword

Postby Sentios » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:01 am

It's got mechanics to back it up as well.

There's 120 classes created from combining 10 different skill trees, though there is less viability when it come to hybrid builds but that's expected. You are also free to repick which skill trees your character is using (for a small ingame currency fee) and which skills you're using in each tree so you can experiment with playstyles. Some skills have synergistic combos with skills in other trees even. When changing skill trees, the ones you decide to drop keep their level which means you can level all trees to 50 if you have the patience without having to reroll an alt

You get mounts early in the game, which provide a small speed boost. They can be called and mounted even in combat to my knowledge meaning they can actually be useful for something other than just traveling. Additionally there is real working mounted combat, as your mount levels you get new extra abilities while riding it. The transition between being on foot and being mounted is also fairly seamless and quick, nothing at all like the clunk that is WoW's mounted combat.

Another form of transit you get early on is gliders. Theses can be used to quickly travel short distances, especially downhill. Better gliders also have the ability to boost your elevation allowing you to travel up steep terrain with greater ease.

The game will be a full PvP/PvE experience with no 'PvE' or 'PvP' servers.

There are factions based on your race or your in-game actions which you can interact with, the pirate faction in particular can only be peacefully interacted with by people who were ejected from their faction for having too high of a crime rating. Crime rating is raised by steal other people's crops (from unprotected farms) or by killing people of your same faction in unprotected zones (either for fun or for stealing their trade packs which are used in a certain kind of repeatable quest). If accused of committing a crime there's even an in-game courts system with a jury of players. You can go to jail and have to serve time (I don't know exactly how long it is, but it's not overly long)

Also I have confirmed with some of the people who have played the russian serves that some of the best gear in game really does come from crafting, though their is a little bit of RNG on what quality is produced when you make an item so it's not guaranteed you'll always make the best pants in the game when you craft.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Wulfespinndel » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:54 pm

120 Classes? Like what? Maybe it's because I've been out of touch of gaming, but that's a HUGE number to me.

I'm not ready to play another MMO again, but boy this is quite fascinating.
"Declare the past, diagnose the present, foretell the future; practice these acts. As to diseases, make a habit of two things — to help, or at least to do no harm."
-Hippocrates

KR Series Finished: Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, OOO, Fourze, Wizard
No. of Combat Arms Unbelievables: 3
Live by the Sword die by the Sword

Postby Sentios » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:04 am

Essentially take the wow classes, condense them down to around 15 iconic skills each and allow the player to mix and match skills from any three of them at the same time. Each combination has a class name to go along with it.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Remni » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:59 am

Good ol Trion. They love games with swappable classes like Rift.
My Steam - Xbox GamerTag: TheSweedishChef
||The soul sheds light and death is it's shadow. When the light dims, life and death embrace.||
Fortunately Unfortunate

Postby Sentios » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:30 am

Also based on current information the game will be F2P, a sub or cash shop item that grants 'patron' status will only be required to place houses/farms. This is to prevent poeple from making dozens of free accounts and placing houses everywhere as a form of griefing.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Return to Snafu Gaming