MLG GameBattles Brawl Ladder

100% GAMES! Use this forum to discuss any game in any context and to organize get-togethers, guilds, and tournaments with your fellow Snafu posters.

Moderator: Mod Squad

MLG GameBattles Brawl Ladder

Postby Lengeta » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:11 am

This front page will be continually updated.

MLG GameBattles
Smash Bros Brawl
Online Ladder

|- Ladder Frontpage -|- Forum -|

Snafu-1: |- Clan Profile -|- Roster -|- Matches -|

Snafu-2: |- Clan Profile -|- Roster -|- Matches -|

Last edited by Lengeta on Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:34 am, edited 19 times in total.

Postby shadow_the_beast » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:27 am

^_^; alittle early isn't it?

I agree with this Ranking Event but I have a few questions and suggestions.

How are we going to begin this event? Is there going to be some wierd sign up before we get into this? You know like randomly pick our names and put with another. In a way a actually having a tournament to see what our ranks is going to start off with. Loser go against others who lost in the same round. For example: semifinalist go against each other to see whose 4th and 3rd place.

1 of the main problems would be new players joining in afterwards. If there's 1 then he/she could go against last guy. If there's 2 than they could go against each other for their ranks. If there's 4, there could be a 4 player match to see who won 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th off that match, then put them in their proper place, though each of them are still below other combatants who's been playing this. The problem is over 4 newcomers. Something I still have no clue on.

Has for some other fun suggestions, Once a month or 2 we could have "SPECIAL EVENT MATCHES" kind of like WWE Pay per view matches. For example. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place could be in a triple treat match to be number 1. Also have a specific rules match like the kind of items you could use, winner ranks would increase dramatically.

These are somethings I would suggest. Take your time and think. It took me forever to type this with the wiimote.

Postby Erix » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:32 am

I'll need to train up in the game before I go tournieing :P

Postby shadow_the_beast » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:38 am

Rent Melee from blockbuster.

Postby Lengeta » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:41 am

Ug... I've typed plenty with the Wiimote too...

First, I don't think this is too early, the game's out in a month and it would be nice to have this already up and ready the second the game hits. I know most everyone will be spending plenty of time with the single player at first, but this would also let us work out any bugs that creep up more efficiently.

As for the very beginning, I would like everyone to start on an even playing field, but your right, there's a problem about who you can challenge in the beginning, maybe just anyone. An initial tournament might be the best plan, I'm not sure.

I'm actually working with a script right now, but I just barely downloaded it and I'm just getting started playing with it (having troubles logging in already... :( ), so if we can put something like this up and how a program like this actually runs will make a drastic difference in how everything is run. I'm going to talk with Dave about installing a script on his site. If I can't, we'll probably have to run some sort of wikipedia-type page anyone can update to do everything. A script would definitely be much more streamline.

I really like your idea with special matches. It would be fun to change the rules of the game for the ladder every month or something. One month could be all items on, next month no items, third month smash-ball only. Something like that could be tons of fun.

Added after 2 minutes:

Erix wrote:I'll need to train up in the game before I go tournieing :P

The idea is you can jump-in and leave anytime you want with quick results. You definitely wouldn't need to train-up, but you definitely can if you'd prefer to.

Postby shadow_the_beast » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:59 am

Well no need for me to come in late. If there is a sign up or anything of the sort, SIGN ME IN.

The fact that today you came up with a great idea earlier to making scripts. Not Bad.

There's still a problem with newcomers. Like of how they would start after everyone are ranked.

Postby Dave » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:13 am

start at an even playing field? That's retarded just set them up as they sign up. First come first... rank to begin with. It'll fix itself in the wash.
WiNg0o wrote:To be honest I thought Dave just existed. In the beginning there was Dave.
Administrator

Postby SpellRuler » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:20 am

Wait for the European version.....
Keeper: Welcome to the forums. And yes, don't try to bitch with Ganon. He can be a nice guy, but act like a bastard to him and you're comparing that to a battle between a yellow-belt martial-artist, and a guy with a tomigun. You ain't gonna win.

Smaug & Nix: Smaug: I was hoping for a perfect mold of your penis. But that'll have to wait. Nix: Smaug, you know you don't need a mold of it, you can have the real deal any time you want.

Dave & Yoshi: Dave: A better question would be can a Sledgehammer stop my boner. This is what the people REALLY want to know. Yoshi: .. See, now why are scientists not researching something worthwhile, like that?

Pokemon Pearl FC: 1933 7298 5053 Name: Blitz

Postby Jay » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:24 am

Hah, I hope I at least stay above the Median. If I find the time, I might actually be able to put some time into playing. I have a few doubting bones in me though.
Internet Celebrity ToastCrust
Twitter | Transistor Glamor | FFXIV: Lenini Leni (Hyperion)
RP Mod of the 3rd Astral Era

Postby shadow_the_beast » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:28 am

The main problem is the start up. next is newcomers, then it's choosing who would go against who in a simpliest for everyone who takes part. It needs work, but a month would cover it.

Postby Lengeta » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:40 am

Newcomers would enter in the bottom rank. And Dave's right, setting up any type of script, whoever enters first is ranked first. That's the only way it could actually be done, and yeah, it's definitely the best way too. It's only unfair right there at the VERY beginning, and as Dave said, it will work itself out anyway.

And the script I'm working with isn't coded to work with windows... I need an actual website to test it out it seems, I keep getting undefined variable warnings. I'll keep on truckin' though.

Postby shadow_the_beast » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:42 am

Do we sign in a new forum or is this it?

Postby Lengeta » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:44 am

SpellRuler wrote:Wait for the European version.....

You can pop in as soon as it hits and should be able climb the ladder plenty quick. This is assuming Brawl will forgo regions.

Added after 1 minutes:

shadow_the_beast wrote:Do we sign in a new forum or is this it?

Yeah, WAAAAAAY to early for that. If we can get a script going you'll have to create a new account on that database. It would be using an email for your username and putting in a password.

Re: SNAFU Smash Bros. Tourny Discussion

Postby MikChad » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:42 pm

Sounds good, hope it all works out. I'm really anxious for this now.

Postby shadow_the_beast » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:09 am

Any updates?

Postby Risen Hell Fire » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:14 pm

The one problem I see with this happening, is that no one who has a copy of Brawl will be on the internet, or make contact with anyone, for a while
This is the internet, things are either the equivalent of the clouds parting and the right hand of god descending and handing you a wad of hundred dollar bills, or the worse than the holocaust, potato famine, 9/11, and the black death combined and merged with the ebola virus.

Location: Telling assholes what I have to say. Whether they want to hear it or not.

Postby Yoshi » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:12 am

I've a question: Aren't the PAL and NTSC versions of the game different? If so, can they even play against each other? Would any differences create an unfair playing field.

Okay, so three questions.
"Worst case scenario I'll get arrested for public nudity.
Best case scenerio I'll get arrested for public nudity with a boner. It's win win.
" ~ Dave
"Also Yoshi is the most important person in all of Australia." ~ Zepherin

Postby BobSagat » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:02 pm

Oh please, it's not like were going to let any Euros pla-

Um... I mean...

Suuuuuuuure...
ImageImageImageImageImage
2pro

Postby Grey » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:14 pm

Yoshi wrote:I've a question: Aren't the PAL and NTSC versions of the game different? If so, can they even play against each other? Would any differences create an unfair playing field.

It wouldn't matter to me, because I don't plan to wait for the EU release in Q3. I'm modding my Wii as soon as possible and getting an American copy from my local import shop.
I'm NORML and I VOTE
Soul Silver Friend Code: 0260-2900-0828
Suave Brit

Sexiness: Godlike

Postby Lengeta » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:47 pm

Risen Hell Fire wrote:The one problem I see with this happening, is that no one who has a copy of Brawl will be on the internet, or make contact with anyone, for a while

Yeah, I expect everyone to play single player for a least a month. The occasional online play will be with closer friends. Nevertheless, that lets us roll into it nice and slow so any bugs can be worked out quickly and without incident. I also would rather get something like this up and running and ready to go so it's available as soon as someone wants to use it.

Yoshi wrote:I've a question: Aren't the PAL and NTSC versions of the game different? If so, can they even play against each other? Would any differences create an unfair playing field.

I don't think we have any sort of confirmation for anything like this. I'm betting Brawl will be region free, but wouldn't be surprised if it isn't. Running multiple ladders for different regions would be the solution, and shouldn't be difficult at all assuming the script itself runs fine.

Grey wrote:It wouldn't matter to me, because I don't plan to wait for the EU release in Q3. I'm modding my Wii as soon as possible and getting an American copy from my local import shop.

If your going that far too mod it, why not just grab the Japanese version a couple weeks earlier?

shadow_the_beast wrote:Any updates?

No... I'm not skilled enough to create my own script, and altering an existing one is even more difficult than that. I'm going to try and find some free hosting for this ladder, and I'll have to do that before I can actually test the thing. This script I'm using seems simple and still very customizable though, so hopefully it will work great. I'll talk to Dave about having him host the script, but he's extremely busy with his website without this, and school's just started up for me, so that will most likely be a slow process.

Postby Lengeta » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:37 am

So, yeah, hey guys... after much deliberation, I've decided getting something like this going myself is out of my scope. I'm not a good enough programmer to get something like this rolling out. Sorries for getting everyone excited. I still want a ladder local to Snafu though. We should still challenge other forum members to matchs, report them, and keep some records on here. I'd be more than happy to keep on top of this stuff and keep it all contained in a single thread. I could update the first post with recent/overall results, and well and updating with a new post in the thread. It's sloppy, but it would work really well and give us a good idea how we stack against one another.

That said, GameBattles (Major League Gaming's competitive latter site) will be running a Brawl latter. I'd suggest everyone hit that up. I'm not sure on the particulars of how it will all work, but they've got clan support setup for it too. I'll get a Snafu clan going, and as time progresses, we'll have to grab the best of us here and get them going in that clan. MLG's probably the biggest videogame tournament organizer, so yeah, should be an awesome ladder.

Also, SWF (Smashboards.com) is currently working on getting their own ladder going. If/when they get it going, I'd also suggest everyone hop aboard that one too. I also know one of the coders extremely well, so when they've got that up and running I'll hit him up and see if we can set up something similar here with his help.

Postby freeyourmind775 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:50 pm

How do we join???
I'm all registered but i don't see a "Join team" button anywhere...
***My favorite Video***
How well do you know me (So what if I'm a trend whore?)
Gamertag: Intelguy775
The story of my Deployment
The funny thing is that the crime looked well thought out. If he hadn't beaten himself into submission he might have made off with some serious loot. -Spazmonkey
Australia won't be joining with England until they apologise for dumping us on an island :( -Yoshi
Bubbles aren't sharp. -Ace of Flames
Figures an all powerful ring wouldn't be enough for a woman. - Halo

Postby freeyourmind775 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:06 pm

Invite me???
Same name as always...
***My favorite Video***
How well do you know me (So what if I'm a trend whore?)
Gamertag: Intelguy775
The story of my Deployment
The funny thing is that the crime looked well thought out. If he hadn't beaten himself into submission he might have made off with some serious loot. -Spazmonkey
Australia won't be joining with England until they apologise for dumping us on an island :( -Yoshi
Bubbles aren't sharp. -Ace of Flames
Figures an all powerful ring wouldn't be enough for a woman. - Halo

Postby Lengeta » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:49 pm

Your in, fym. For some reason your not popping up on the clan page... maybe it just takes a little while? Not sure.

Added after 3 minutes:

Oh, durr, you probably just have to accept.

Re: SNAFU Smash Bros. Tourny Discussion

Postby profgoten » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:53 pm

I cant wait for it to hit UK shores I'll be up for a few matches with peeps I was awsome at melee :D Link roy/marth were my main characters to use :D kinda wish dragon ball was online too lol

Next

Return to Snafu Gaming