StarCraft II: WoL (What would you have prefered?)

100% GAMES! Use this forum to discuss any game in any context and to organize get-togethers, guilds, and tournaments with your fellow Snafu posters.

Moderator: Mod Squad

StarCraft II: WoL (What would you have prefered?)

Postby NodTrooper32 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:10 am

There are so many things that in the early alpha / beta stages that SC2 had that I thought was a very cool feature.

One of these being an ability of the Ghost, called Drop Pod. You could load up any Ghost Academy (At the time it was called a Shadow Ops) with Bio units such as Marines, Marauders, Reapers, SCVs, and I'm assuming even other Ghosts, and use a Ghost to call down a Drop Pod and those units will land at the target-location the Ghost selected.

Another thing I found interesting was how Mech was set up. The Firebat was a Mech unit, built at the Factory. As well as the Cobra (Diamondback), and the Siege Tank.

The Starport could originally upgrade itself to build units while lifted off.

The Queen was a MUCH better tank when morphed into a "Large Queen", but there was a build limit on it.

Immortals for the longest time were built at the Gateway. Gee, that would be OP. Warping in up to 10 Immortals almost instantly with a Warpgate.

The Phoenix could shoot ground targets, and of course it had it's famous Overload ability.

There was a replacement unit for the Carrier called the Tempest. It was very similar to the Carrier, but it produced Shurikens instead of Interceptors. Shurkiens were the only, and still are the only, air unit to have a melee attack in StarCraft. Though it no longer is in normal gameplay.

The Reaper had a D-8 charge ability, which made them 10x more useful. With about 3 Reapers, you could kill off half of entire armies. Though the D-8 charge took a while to detonate after being placed, so the likely-hood of that was very small. The Reaper could also use Stimpacks, and was also a lot stronger with about 150HP and instead of doing 4x2(+5 Vs. Light), if I remember correctly, it did a solid 15 damage.

All-in-all, what feature that was in SC2's development would you like to have seen in normal Gameplay?
Madness.

Re: StarCraft II: WoL (What would you have prefered?)

Postby BeeAre » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:40 pm

Well, before I can comment on this, I want to ask if you'd be willing to discuss the story elements, as well as the gameplay.
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
Puff Most Epic.
Ladies and Gentlemen, The:
BR

Postby Asmodai » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:48 am

Never cared for the multiplayer

I liked the singleplayer, but the story was rather meh. Blizzard seems to have lost their touch with creating interesting stories (*cough*Diablo 3*cough*)
Mephobiac
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby NodTrooper32 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:27 pm

BeeAre wrote:Well, before I can comment on this, I want to ask if you'd be willing to discuss the story elements, as well as the gameplay.

Hah, sorry this has taken forever to reply to. I was looking back to this for a day or so and didn't see anything, so just stopped.

The Story was interesting to me, though I have to agree with most people that it seemed to cinematic, or movie-like. They might as well just turned the game into a movie on it's own.

The Gameplay constantly shifts, and as of recent, we are seeing Terran Players use Ravens a lot more, mostly in TvT. The balancing has gone through huge shifts, and with 1.5.2 I think it was...Queens got a range buff. Terran's QQ'd forever, still are, but are learning how to cope. Which the only other thing Terran's have had to cope with was the Ghost being rendered more or less useless.

Personally, I'm a Zerg player. The Queen and Overlord buff was very great. Zerg never really had a sure-fire way to scout out a Terran that was walled in before he did some kind of cheese, and with the Overlord and Queen buff Zerg are able to scout it earlier and react easier, unlike before were if we could at all scout say 10 Hellions, we'd have to quickly use 5 or so Drones to build Spines, which still technically does what the Hellions were suppose to do and fuck with the Zergs economy.

I still say the Sniper ability still needs to be reworked. Brood Lords may need a nerf, but it's not to worry about. Ravens gas price needs to be toned down, or at least the energy-cost of Seeker Missile. As for what Protoss may need changed, I'm not quite sure...They are set up pretty perfectly.

Edit: Also, playing a bit of HotS beta I can see that the changes and new units they added actually opens up a lot more options for Terran and Protoss, though Zerg remains mostly the same. Vipers are useful for their Abduct, but the Blinding Cloud unfortunately doesn't see much use due to it's short AoE.

I'd like the Warhound to get back, though. It was a really interesting unit concept. They could of just increased the cost slightly. 100/75 was really too cheap for how effective that was. Make it maybe 125/100 and it'd be much better.

ZoulArt wrote:As for the thread question.
I would have loved to see the Goliath again in multiplayer.
I loved that unit in SC1

Goliath would be REALLY nice to have for Terran in WoL...
Madness.

Postby Blood Lord » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:33 pm

Blizzard screwed Starcraft over a bit. I think its funny how most of the new units in Starcraft 2: HotS are unit corrections to make fans happy. Like the Hellion. God, I hate that thing. Its funny that they did what they had originally planned for the firebat and turned it into a bipedal mech.

Sucks they are removing the carrier though.
Stufflikehearts - He is a Sith Lord. I love Blood Lord :3
Jeffffey - Blood, you look at the information someone says, look over what really happened, and reply in a way that makes them realize what they were really thinking.
Light10s - Blood Lord! Your avatars are becoming more epic. You make me feel like getting on all fours and submitting my loyalty and obedience to you.
Fievel - Numerous campaigns and conquests, countless bodies decaying after the abandonment of victorious battlefields. Such is the life of Blood Lord.
Dusk_Imp - Blood Lord is like a celebrity here. Everything he does is pure awesome. ALL HAIL BLOOD LORD
Doctress Who - Why couldn't there be a Blood Lord in every forum? It would make life so much easier.
Mercypostle

Postby NodTrooper32 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:59 am

Blood Lord wrote:Blizzard screwed Starcraft over a bit. I think its funny how most of the new units in Starcraft 2: HotS are unit corrections to make fans happy. Like the Hellion. God, I hate that thing. Its funny that they did what they had originally planned for the firebat and turned it into a bipedal mech.

Sucks they are removing the carrier though.

Hellion's always interested me, being a weaker combination of both the Vulture and the Firebat. A useful unit, and a not-so-useful unit.

Battle Mode made the Hellion worth using, though.

The Carrier has been re-added in the fourth patch and has yet to be removed.

Also, I agree. Swarm Hosts and Vipers are interesting.

In a patch for HotS Beta that JUST came out like a couple hours ago, the Widow Mine has been severely altered, and the way they altered it I think is a VERY, VERY bad idea.

Here is the patch-note,

"Widow Mine
This unit has a new missile ability called Unstable Payload.
Unstable Payload is an auto-cast ability that initiates once the Widow Mine is burrowed. It cannot be turned off unless the unit is unburrowed.This ability launches a missile at a target within 5 range, then starts to rearm another missile.Unstable Payload does 160 damage to a single target and 40 splash damage. The missile auto-acquires cloaked units.The missile auto-acquires temporary units like Hallucinations, Infested Terrans, and Locusts.It takes 40 seconds to rearm the missile. The cost is free for now.The build time of this unit has increased to 40 seconds."

The Link: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/6794980782

Edit: I'll be sure to keep up with this if anyone has anything else to say about the game. ^^
Madness.

Return to Snafu Gaming