5 Realities of Being Transgender (Please Read this Article)

Arizona Telephone Directory - Illegal Business Operations

Moderator: Mod Squad

5 Realities of Being Transgender (Please Read this Article)

Postby Hiroko » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:03 pm

I feel like this is an important article that people really ought to read, about just some of the issues transgender people face that many people are blind to, or some of the misconceptions of being transgender. It's even written by a trans woman, at that, so there you go.

5 Shocking Realities of Being Transgender the Media Ignores

I just really want for people to see and read this article. To at least take what it says into consideration.
The Sentimental One

Re: 5 Realities of Being Transgender (Please Read this Article)

Postby Blood Lord » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:07 pm

*places watch on thread.

Postby Krest » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:26 pm

It didn't include the downsides of physical surgery. Even if someone doesn't change their sex, they may still want to have a similar body shape. And that means sawing down (not exactly, but imagine it as so) on the person's bones, the risks of plastic surgery and moving around organs, as well as difficulties that come with the injections.

While it's true that transgender doesn't require surgery, there ARE many who get surgery - and the kind of surgery they get can be about half as bad as bonus surgeries from changing sex, which is absolute hell. That's why I tell people who have already hit puberty to wait until nanomachines are commonly used in the medical world; it's too dangerous and unstable without them.
Sleep With Neil Patrick Harris

Postby Tuor » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:28 pm

What about the entire rest of the article, thoughts?
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Krest » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:48 pm

Yes and no. Generally, only Hollywood still treats transgenders as a menace to society. Other forms of media, such as books, shows, and games, accept them. If the viewer finds out, they themselves could be disgusted - but the characters aren't.

Gender Identity Disorder isn't (or atleast is no longer) seen as a form of CRAZY. There are extensive tests done for a reason - if a person does pass the test, and thus really does have GID, psychologists do not see the gender association as a problem - the problem is the body the people were born in, as postmodern psychology now recognizes "true gender" as valid instead of a misperception. Of course, this can lead to either transgender or sex change, each of which have different results from those tests.

If a person doesn't like talking about such things, they can create a rule (on their show) which states that anyone who asks about it can be taken away by security. Common people can threaten to report someone for harassment. Part of the reason this continues is that transgenders often don't show enough backbone - which further makes people think all transgenders are insecure, when this isn't the case. Celebrity transgenders need to step up and start acting like proper role models already; otherwise, the transgender population will never be taken seriously. I mean, honestly - stars have ONE job. ONE. That job is Divismo. If they're not going to act as inspirations, then they should not have aimed for fame in the first place.

Good points.

Well, duh. Most places in this world don't welcome transgender. If a transgender walks into a Christian town, it's the same thing as a black person (in the past) going to the other side of the tracks. While there are definitely times when caution has been used, many transgenders are still the same as all other humans and thus generally lack common sense. If I ran naked into a football field and went to jail, then I was COMPLETELY not utilizing caution due to a lack of common sense.

I guarantee you that many of those murders happened because the transgender didn't want to hide anymore and thus decide to show off by going to a place filled with people that hate transgenders. Gay people did the same thing. Women did the same thing. Black people did the same thing. Hell, the SAXONS did the same thing. I'm all for transgenders with common sense - but don't add ANY human being without common sense to ANY list of statistics. People without common sense are a completely different factor.

Postby Q.U. » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:55 pm

but what the fuck kind of message does it send to young transgender kids?

This post is intended for information only. Please do not reply to this message as responses cannot be read or acknowledged due to the stupidity of the user.

Postby Birdofterror » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:28 pm

Careful Krest. If you keep making well thought out posts, people might actually like you.
"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby Tuor » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:32 pm

So many assumptions, well two
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Birdofterror » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:46 pm

A lot of what Krest said makes a lot of sense. Except as I read the initial link Hiroko posted, the term "Trap" is seen as incredibly derogatory. While I find that incredibly ironic due to the fact that Krest actually made sense even while having a "trap thread." I'm just smiling and nodding.

Like, his #5 for instance. I agree fully with his recollection of media. While books, games, and other things like that generally embrace and even embolden transgendered people, movies and shows tend to make it into a joke or a full blown plague.

His #4 is more or less a retelling of the information within the article itself. True, but not original.

While his #3 is kind of filled with assumptions, they aren't really offensive assumptions, at least I don't think they are. Continuing on, yes we do need more transgender role models, we need more good role models of every shape and size in my opinion. Bah. At this point it's just me complaining. :?

His #2 isn't much.

His #1 is stating examples of hate in the world. There is so much hate in the world, if there wasn't, people wouldn't have to hide. He's basically saying "We're all the same, and because of that, we all need to be careful. Everyone hates everyone else for different reasons."

Unfortunately, it's not really an opinion that the world is filled with pure hatred. It's an unfortunate truth. :(
Bird oft Error

Postby The Mad Doctor » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:54 pm

I think the universe has imploded.

I love things for the exact same reason you hate them for.
PRAISE THE SUN BITCH

Postby Mir@k » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:50 pm

Traps?
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Krest » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:34 pm

Don't even Mir@k. My trap thread mysteriously got erased without my knowledge, so I'm lying low on that subject for now. >.>

Postby Wulfespinndel » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:59 am

Focus people. I haven't finished reading this completely, so I might post my thoughts later or just watch how the discussion turns out and get whatever I can out of it.

Look, I don't want to act like I'm some authoritarian figure especially since there are enough mods in the forum and the fact that Blood Lord has his eyes on the thread already but until then, please don't get too sidetracked everyone and/or start a shakedown with each other. The past few visits I made to this forum have been rather shameful.

And Hiroko, do share your thoughts with us. You have our eyes and ears.
"Where we are, there’s daggers in men’s smiles."
KR Series Finished: Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, OOO, Fourze, Wizard
Reset. Recalibrate.

Postby Mathias » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:27 pm

I remember Cali Defender.

Postby Icha » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:25 pm

#5 no opinion
#4 People with GID actually have slightly different functioning brains than normal people. Whether that constitutes a disorder/illness depends on the definition.
#3 I've seen a video of the surgery, it's kind of interesting but some may find it unnerving, do whatever you want I guess, but it'll never beat the original
#2 Seems legit
#1 Trans panic defense not allowed last year? Better late than never
One time when I was high, I thought I was in an ambulance dying. Turns out I was just eating sherbert.
-stufflikehearts-

Postby Sentios » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:56 pm

Wulfespinndel wrote:The past few visits I made to this forum have been rather shameful.

If a mod needs to lock this I want them to do so with...

Shamefur dispray. End of rine, rine ends here!

Mathias wrote:I remember Cali Defender.

Who brought Cali up?

Anyway since I haven't chimed in on this yet I think I'll bring my cynicism in for a spin.

The reality is that the entire concept of transgender people makes folks very uncomfortable,

The reality is that what makes people uncomfortable is sudden changes, some one you used to know suddenly being a serial killer would be equally as uncomfortable.

a 20-something trans woman ... but now that I've been out and open for a few years

Emphasis on few, but I digress.

There we can merely be verbally assaulted, nonstop, in pretty much any setting. Internet slang for a trans woman is "trap," as in, a being who exists only to "trap" males into questioning their sexuality.

Oh no, hurtful words, someone call a waaambulance! And there are tons of people who like traps, in fantasy at least. Also, minor point, a trap has to convincingly look like a woman not just be a tranny.

However the whole issue here summed up is whether or not a trans is deceiving males who hit on them, ignoring for a minute that their might be lesbians who could hit on them but let's just focus on how this is a problem with MEN just like the nice well-informed feminists told us it was. It's really just a matter of circumstances, if you let it become intimate before telling them then yes you lead them on. The assumption is that most people, even if not all, are straight and seek out people of the opposite gender when flirting. They don't seek out dudes in dress even if they're on estrogen, only bis and gays will sleep with someone biologically male. To push this any further is to say that men aren't allowed to hook up with people fitting their criteria, which while perfectly in-line with feminism is bullshit logically and realistically.

4. All of point 4 is a history of how things have progressed, it even says that trans are more rare than homos. It's literally telling how things have progressed and then complaining that there's been no progress or that it didn't happen long ago enough. This 'didn't happen long ago enough'/'still hasn't happened' can be argued for 100,000 other things as well so it's not impressive. As far as 'crazy' goes a M>F tranny will have a different behavior and brain chemistry than either a model M or F, but everyone would have a mental disorder if psychiatrists had their way.

3. Part of being a trans is deciding whether or not you want to change your genitals, it's not surprising if others want to know about it when talking about your transition. I agree it's not really the focus, it's only part of a person's private life unless you live in a community of nudists after all, however at the same time we have two examples of trans-women that are putting themselves out in the public eye. The public is always curious about every little detail of the people who catch their eye.

"Just because I like certain things, it doesn't mean I want the whole 'package,' so to speak."

This is an understandable position.

Yet, without surgery, my doctor had to certify that I was "feminine enough" to get the gender on my ID changed in San Francisco.

But this isn't, the gender used by law is about your biologically gender. Having tits and wearing dresses puts you in between but we don't have a biological label for in between.

Even in Sweden, a country you'd expect to be pretty enlightened by reputation, dropped attempted rape charges against a man because his victim turned out to be a trans woman with a penis (their logic being that it's impossible to rape a woman if she doesn't have a vagina).

This isn't a trans issue, this is a male issue. 'Men can't be raped' is what underlies this thinking.

2. This is pretty legit...

The relatively simple premise of "feeling different on a weekly basis" has yet to percolate into pop culture.

What's so hard about understanding the feeling of wanting to wear a cute dress occasionally? (I ain't even trans)

1. Falls under issue 5, if you let it get intimate with out telling them then you led them on. While not justification for murder it is understandable anger. Alcohol was of course most likely involved in this on both side though.
Wizard Status. 5 more years

Postby Krest » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:24 pm

I don't know about y'all, but that picture of the bathroom? Yeah, I'd do that tranny in a SECOND. I don't care what genitals were there, she was fucking HOT.

Postby Whatis6times9 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:55 pm

Well this thread is fucked.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mir@k » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:43 pm

I blame the op. Just posted a link but no opinions, so the thread was up for grabs and look who grabbed it first.
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mir@k » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:43 pm

I was going to post my opinions but i really didn't because i myself didn't even know hiroko's point of view other than she agrees with the article, and just blindposting is dangerous.
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mir@k » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:51 pm

I no want no hurt sahmbadeh ♫
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mathias » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:42 pm

Sentios wrote:
Mathias wrote:I remember Cali Defender.

Who brought Cali up?

IIRC, he wanted a sex change.

Postby Wulfespinndel » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:27 pm

When he says he wants one, he literally means it right? Just wondering.
"Where we are, there’s daggers in men’s smiles."
KR Series Finished: Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, OOO, Fourze, Wizard
Reset. Recalibrate.

Postby Tuor » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:27 pm

They were quite serious about it, from what I recall, yes
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby The Mad Doctor » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:33 pm

Aaaaaand did it actually happen?

I love things for the exact same reason you hate them for.
PRAISE THE SUN BITCH

Next

Return to The Extrovert Booty Society