Has anyone read this already?

This forum can be a scary place, 'cause we got lax rules: let's see your war face. Take a breath, and roll the dice, you might find out we're really nice.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Has anyone read this already?

Postby Wulfespinndel » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:41 pm

I recently discovered the bad webcomics wiki and I found it to be quite fascinating. I had no idea they had an article on the website, and likewise it was pretty entertaining. One thing it made me think about was how often we even talk about the web comics on the sight anymore, in which to me, it would be almost not at all, aside from Bleed's comics and the others that are infrequent.

So I just want to ask: is the forum itself as a whole, now that it is being take care of Thomas and BeeAre, the new administrators, drifted away from its original intentions, which I believe is to dedicate itself to facilitating discussions focused around the web comics on here? A few years ago, when PPGD was still on hiatus, I recall seeing that many of the sites users have in fact, according to the website, somewhat alienated those who just wanted to know whether or not the comic was going to continue, which was poorly handled if I must say so myself.

And just how independent are we as a community from the original administrators (Dave for example)? Is it possible for us now to take the community in an entirely new direction? As far as I'm concerned, I don't think it is necessary for us anymore to continue to facilitate web comics based discussions now that Dave's pretty much about gone.
"Where we are, there’s daggers in men’s smiles."
KR Series Finished: Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, OOO, Fourze, Wizard
Reset. Recalibrate.

Re: Has anyone read this already?

Postby Birdofterror » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:44 pm

Defining Flaw: Sixteen out of twenty two of the comics are on hiatus (two ended prematurely), and nearly all of them are crap.

He's... not wrong...

He's very blunt and is throwing around generalizations, but I don't think he's technically wrong.

Everyone is allowed to have their own opinions I guess.

/shrug
"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby Artan » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:48 pm

Wulfespinndel wrote:And just how independent are we as a community from the original administrators (Dave for example)? Is it possible for us now to take the community in an entirely new direction? As far as I'm concerned, I don't think it is necessary for us anymore to continue to facilitate web comics based discussions now that Dave's pretty much about gone.

I think it's completely necessary and really the one and only thing we can do. Just because Dave doesn't pay attention so much to the website doesn't mean he doesn't own it, Webcomics are what made this place and it'll be what's left after everyone has gone away. Besides, what the fuck else could we turn it into?
Have you tried turn it off and on again?
QU:You look sad and frightened.
Stricken:i know this probably isn't the time or place now, but god damn millo is a hunk
Resident Illustrator

Postby Birdofterror » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:51 pm

90% of the posts here aren't about the comics anyway.

Whatever it "can" be turned into, it probably already is.
"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby Blood Lord » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:51 pm

I think the guy was pretty spot on in his review.

It is shit, but it is getting better, and hopefully soon we'll be seeing more of it. In consideration, we do live up to the name of Snafu.

Wulfespinndel wrote: is the forum itself as a whole, now that it is being take care of Thomas and BeeAre, the new administrators, drifted away from its original intentions, which I believe is to dedicate itself to facilitating discussions focused around the web comics on here?

Yes. The only webcomics that are updating are Bleed's, and while there is a group that comes on to solely discuss those, the community as a large has found different reasons for staying. Our Misc Sections (Gaming, RP, Lit, Art, and Spam) are the most active section because people want to be part of Snafu there.

However, I don't believe that to be the fault of the current admins. The not-updating comics do need to be removed and new comics need to be selected. BR and Thomas do have permission to make those changes now. (I think)

Wulfespinndel wrote:And just how independent are we as a community from the original administrators (Dave for example)?

About as far apart as Glenn Beck and Nancy Pelosi.

Wulfespinndel wrote: Is it possible for us now to take the community in an entirely new direction?

Yes! And it is something we need to keep doing.

Postby EagleMan » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:09 pm

We are also to an extent constrained by the sections we have though. People will read "Spam" and if they don't go inside they won't realize it's the main hub of normal conversation. "Snafu General Discussion" is essentially dead and buried. You might as well just combine that and Spam together and no one would realize that we weren't a General Discussion forum before.

Postby Wulfespinndel » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:23 pm

Alright so let's talk about gathering new members.

While we've haven't had the chance to grow, at least we've been able to grow by at least a few, such as that of Exodis, Birdot, Krest, Maddoc, the good and the bad alike. What can we really do about this at this point?
Reset. Recalibrate.

Postby Artan » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:27 pm

Change the security question to something simpler. Lets be honest here, a lot of people are retarded won't take the 5 seconds to figure it out. Just change it to a math question or some shit.
Have you tried turn it off and on again?
QU:You look sad and frightened.
Stricken:i know this probably isn't the time or place now, but god damn millo is a hunk
Resident Illustrator

Postby EagleMan » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:40 pm

Wulfespinndel wrote:Alright so let's talk about gathering new members.

While we've haven't had the chance to grow, at least we've been able to grow by at least a few, such as that of Exodis, Birdot, Krest, Maddoc, the good and the bad alike. What can we really do about this at this point?

Not much. The comics are basically the only significant source of new blood. This is why it's been a concern for years about our gradual decline, because there's very few people coming in but if you lose even a few people - to inactivity, drama, whatever - it can be a death knell to the community because the remaining posters have less of a reason to post without their favorite posters present.

Postby Warbear » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:53 pm

This section is full of inane topics and is very likely to lower the intelligence of anyone who browses it for too long. Avoid at all costs.

I can't think of a topic to talk about, so...

The Bearded Ones will Rise

Krest Omnithread

Sounds about right.
I am thou... Thou art I... From the sea of thy soul, I come...
Soulchild: u thnk evry thng stupid.
DaCrum: Warbear, why did you suddenly become pretty cool? Stop it.
BR:love is just a boner everyone is looking to fart on warbear
Wild Card

Postby Tenshi Nova » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:59 pm

Bird is a veteran though :U

There's really no point in going out of our way to find new members. Once new comics replace the dead ones, they'll naturally stream in. In all honesty, I don't see strangers eager to be accepted by Snafu nowadays.
The best way to pick new comics would probably be the Art/Literature Sections. But updates there are not only about as frequent as the Bleed's, but they have considerably less traffic.
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby The Mad Doctor » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:59 pm

I'm curious as to why haven't we cleaned out this website yet.

I love things for the exact same reason you hate them for.
PRAISE THE SUN BITCH

Postby EagleMan » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:00 pm

Tenshi Nova wrote:Once new comics replace the dead ones.

What strange words are you saying?

Postby Blood Lord » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:03 pm

Tenshi Nova wrote:Bird is a veteran though

*snickers

Sorry.

The Mad Doctor wrote:I'm curious as to why haven't we cleaned out this website yet.

Dave prevented it for the longest time. I have no idea what the status on that is now.

I think Thomas said something about tearing them down or archiving them when he remakes the front page.

Postby Blood Lord » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:09 pm

Tenshi Nova wrote:The best way to pick new comics would probably be the Art/Literature Sections. But updates there are not only about as frequent as the Bleed's, but they have considerably less traffic.

If the point was to get people, I would really suggest having a MLP comic going on the site.

To go less extreme, yes, the Art and Lit sections would help, but hunting on DA is better, which, again, I believe BR has been doing and reaching out to people.

There was an idea to do another contest, but do a lit/art combo that would do a page for one of the comics. There was potential after that to gain a comic slot or continue one of the comics yourself.

Postby Tenshi Nova » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:22 pm

How many people from DA would be willing to join? Snafu is commonly associated with Bleed.

And as for a contest where some does a page for an existing comic, I'm not sure how many 'good' results would come out from that.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby EagleMan » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:30 pm

It depends. If newbs are experiencing the same load issues I am where a page loads normally only 20% of the time then they definitely aren't signing up regardless of how enticing the content is.

Postby Birdofterror » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:01 am

Negro I joined before you did. :O

Unless that is another account or something of course.
Blood Lord wrote:*snickers
Aren't there moderator(s) and gold member(s) who joined after me? :P

Maybe the term "vet" comes with a different connotation that one would normally associate with me, but I don't think the actual definition is wrong. Not compared to other people who would be considered a vet. Then again we might need different terminologies. I mean, like Generation 1 Vets and Generation 2 Vets for example. Before and after Dave left would be a good time table, while everyone from when "after" Beeare became an Admin is not a Vet in either time table. Just some examples.

I would like to think the time I've spent here would be worth 'something' by now. :?

As for the topic of "getting new comics" which was hot in 2012 and is still hot now, I tried landing a writing job and "technically" won it with Stan a while ago, but then he ran into crippling financial problems. Once he finally had the ability to come back to the forum after so long he already had a new project brewing with a new writer and even a few new artists from this site. Unfortunately, he updates even slower than Bleed. :unsure:
Bird oft Error

Postby Tenshi Nova » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:07 am

Have you thought of partnering with someone from the Art Sect?
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Birdofterror » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:17 am

Actually yes. There was a time when someone who participated in the original Art Contest had similar goals as I did. I tried to contact that person through BR, but I think he kind of dismissed it. Maybe it was for the best, though. I don't think that person visits this site anymore.

I have the will to write and the ability, just not the actual chance to put it to good use. I will admit that it's much harder to draw than it is to write, at least from my experience, so I'm one of many many fish in the sea. What we REALLY need is good artists with endurance to draw in large doses. Another comic on hiatus will do us no good.
Bird oft Error

Postby Tenshi Nova » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:14 am

One method, comic pages could be saved and piled up. It may be a long process, but the sooner one starts, the sooner one finishes.
It might only be a temporary fix, bit it's better than nothing.

Also, I think you'd be able to find someone, maybe on DA.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Asmodai » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:41 am

That was an amusing read.

SNAFU Comics has no quality control whatsoever. Not in the forums, not in the shop, not in the comics. Yeah, putting too many restraints on an author can make them quit, or find another host, but when you have nearly three quarters of your comics just not updating, and the ones which do update are shitty anyways, it's clear that you don't know how to run a webcomic group. The site doesn't deserve to be on the internet.

That pretty much sums it up.
Mephobiac

Postby Exodis » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:53 am

Well... that was an interesting read. Glad to be a part of this!
The Universal Swordsman

Postby Wulfespinndel » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:04 pm

Birdofterror wrote:

Negro I joined before you did. :O

I still feel like you just got here...sorry mate.
Reset. Recalibrate.

Postby Saint Soul » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:18 pm

careful with that "Negro"" word.
User formaly known as Soulchild

Next

Return to Wham, Spam, Thank you, Ma'am!