I got Jury Duty

This forum can be a scary place, 'cause we got lax rules: let's see your war face. Take a breath, and roll the dice, you might find out we're really nice.

Moderator: Mod Squad

I got Jury Duty

Postby Onizaru » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:22 pm

Got a letter in the mail on Friday. It finally happened. I am summoned for jury duty for Monday. Thanks for the short notice.

Re: I got Jury Duty

Postby Q.U. » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:23 pm

Make sure to let the defendant know you can be bribed.
This post is intended for information only. Please do not reply to this message as responses cannot be read or acknowledged due to the stupidity of the user.

Postby Mathias » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:24 pm

Huh. I was notified a month in advance. I got lucky and didn't have to serve on a single trial for the whole month because they all settled or were pushed back. There was one brief trial that I missed, but that would've been the only one.

Postby Onizaru » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:28 pm

I think this juror summons is a bit sketchy given that there is a chance I have a warrant for an unpaid ticket. (for which I already served time). However, coincidences do happen.

My main concern is that I lost my license and I have to go a good distance to get there.

Postby Vegedus » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:34 pm

I don't think we have jury duty here. I'm unsure how it works. I think it'd be an interesting experience actually.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby Onizaru » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:53 pm

Do you have trials by jury?

Also I just realized I capitalized Duty from typing out Call of Duty.

Postby Mathias » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:56 pm

There should be a number for the courthouse on the letter. I'm sure that you could tell them your vehicular situation.

Postby Izanagi » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:37 pm

There is a distinct lack of Pauly Shore in this thread.
I am thou... Thou art I... From the sea of thy soul, I come...
Soulchild: u thnk evry thng stupid.
DaCrum: Warbear, why did you suddenly become pretty cool? Stop it.
BR:love is just a boner everyone is looking to fart on warbear
Wild Card

Postby Tuor » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:43 pm

Vegedus wrote:I don't think we have jury duty here. I'm unsure how it works. I think it'd be an interesting experience actually.

So..there are professional jurors?
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Hiryu » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:53 pm

I don't even know how it works here but I do know I never saw someone being called for jury duty.
ImageImageImage
GET A LOAD OF THIS
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Vegedus » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:19 pm

Hm, doing some research. I'm not a hundred percent certain, but basically everyone can get picked as a juror here too. However, you are picked for a duration of four years and do get paid, so it's basically a half-time job. There's a lot of special cases where you can decline, especially notably if the juror duty might conflict with your job, so a lot of retired people apparently end up doing it. I guess the long period is why it's not something most people hear about. Plus, we don't sue each other all the time like 'MURICA!
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby Grey » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:05 pm

i wanna do jury duty ):
I'm NORML and I VOTE
Soul Silver Friend Code: 0260-2900-0828
Suave Brit

Sexiness: Godlike

Postby Mathias » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:03 pm

I'm a little disappointed that I didn't see any trials, tbh. I was curious to see how a trial proceeded. The one I missed was because I had forgotten to call the night before for reporting time.

Postby Whatis6times9 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:17 pm

Vegedus wrote:Hm, doing some research. I'm not a hundred percent certain, but basically everyone can get picked as a juror here too. However, you are picked for a duration of four years and do get paid, so it's basically a half-time job. There's a lot of special cases where you can decline, especially notably if the juror duty might conflict with your job, so a lot of retired people apparently end up doing it. I guess the long period is why it's not something most people hear about. Plus, we don't sue each other all the time like 'MURICA!

Actually that's kind of how it works in America, if you serve in a trial you get a couple years before being called on again, if you don't get picked for a trail you'll wind up getting called on about a year later. You get paid enough for bus fair for the first 3 days, and then it jumps up on later days. Most people get off from hardship or lying through their teeth. So most juries here are people too stupid to get out of jury duty, people with too much value in "civic duty" and old people who are bored and like Matlock.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Grey » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:18 pm

i went to go see the supreme court in action when i was in DC

that was mad boring. it was some affirmative action case

i swear clarence thomas was asleep
I'm NORML and I VOTE
Soul Silver Friend Code: 0260-2900-0828
Suave Brit

Sexiness: Godlike

Return to Wham, Spam, Thank you, Ma'am!