Mario Kart makes 10 year old save lives

This forum can be a scary place, 'cause we got lax rules: let's see your war face. Take a breath, and roll the dice, you might find out we're really nice.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Mario Kart makes 10 year old save lives

Postby Wulfespinndel » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:31 am

http://www.9news.com/news/article/34734 ... eeding-car

GOLDEN - When Gryffin Sanders saw his great grandmother pass out behind the wheel of a car while going 60 miles per hour, he wasn't quite sure what was happening. A few moments later, the boy knew he had to do something.

"My first thought was actually, is this a test or what?" Gryffin, 10, said. "My heart was thumping."

Gryffin said his great grandmother, 74-year-old Darlene Nestor, passed out while in mid-sentence.

"I tried to wake her up at first," Gryffin said. "Then, I just took the wheel and drove it into the ditch."

This all happened Friday afternoon on the eastern plains near the town of Hugo. Gryffin was visiting relatives when he and his 4-year-old brother were riding with Nestor. Gryffin was sitting in the front seat when he realized their car was veering towards oncoming traffic.

"I wanted us to get somewhere where we could out of the way of traffic, I guess," Gryffin said.

His father, Sean Sanders, calls him a hero.

"It was all him and he made a very wide decision at a very critical moment and I couldn't be a prouder father," Sean said.

His mother was pretty proud, too.

"My mom actually told me after, 'I'm so glad that you turned into the ditch,'" Gryffin said. "I guess I just had the instincts not to [freak out]."

The car slowed down in the ditch filled with mud and he and his brother were unharmed. Passersby stopped to call 911 and help his great grandmother. Sean said there easily could have been head-on collision.

"The car could have rolled. There could've been, you know, a travesty of an injury or even possibly a fatality," Sean said. "The good news is we will never have to know."

Luckily, this is not the first time Gryffin has driven. He says he learned a lot playing the video game "Mario Kart".

"And, I'm pretty good at go kart driving," Gryffin said.

Nestor was air lifted to a hospital in Colorado Springs, where Sean says doctors are trying to figure out exactly what happened. Sean Sanders says it may have been a mild heart attack.

Oddly enough, the first responder on the scene was Gryffin's cousin, who is a sheriff's deputy. He awarded Gryffin a medal for his bravery.

"The proudest moment I think of this is he's been so humble about it," Sean said. "There's nothing more I could ask of him."

Looks like it's time to buy Mario Kart! Really I don't like racing games, but they're so freaking cool.

I don't like racing games for the fact that I make myself look like I'm driving recklessly, but that's an exception for Mario Kart games. At least you don't get to hit anything.
Reset. Recalibrate.

Re: Mario Kart makes 10 year old save lives

Postby Mir@k » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:37 am

I don't care about crashing inside games. I personally was the type to "drive right" on GTA because i wanted to keep the car i had until i realized i was not having fun driving correctly in a game that has no consequences for reckless driving. And that despawns your car if you don't keep it in a garage in a safe house.

Still i think this is another good example of how videogames can also be benefical to society, so long as american parents stop buying underage twits games like call of duty (as if).
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Sumdumguy » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:43 am

Are you kidding me? Running things over/reckless driving is the best part of any racing game. Especially in the Burnout games where that's literally the whole point. There are entire missions where you cause as big of a pile up in a 4 way intersection as you can.
Meow Motherfucker

Postby Mir@k » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:49 am

Also this
I don't like racing games for the fact that I make myself look like I'm driving recklessly
i dont think you can "make yourself look like" anything since you're not actually driving a car- you're not really applying your knowledge on car mechanics or can in any way have spatial perception of the car you're in, you also have to rely on the car's programming and if it moves like a supermarket trolley because that's how the programmers made it so then how could it be your fault for crashing into shit
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Hiryu » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:24 am

Heh, Sonic & All-Stars Racing better than Mario Kart.
ImageImageImage
GET A LOAD OF THIS
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mir@k » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:37 am

no

diddy kong racing niggaaaaaa   
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Hiryu » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:07 pm

Fuck that shit.
ImageImageImage
GET A LOAD OF THIS
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Wulfespinndel » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:30 pm

Mir@k wrote:Also this
I don't like racing games for the fact that I make myself look like I'm driving recklessly
i dont think you can "make yourself look like" anything since you're not actually driving a car- you're not really applying your knowledge on car mechanics or can in any way have spatial perception of the car you're in, you also have to rely on the car's programming and if it moves like a supermarket trolley because that's how the programmers made it so then how could it be your fault for crashing into shit

That was a way of saying that I suck at racing games. Except Need For Speed Underground 2...sort of. As for crashing into shit I regret nothing. I wish I owned Burnout 3 Takedown when I was younger, it was a great game to try at my cousin's house. Oh, also I went at a very high speed in NFSU2 that when I crashed into a car I was barrel rolling in the air for over five seconds! It was so fun.
Reset. Recalibrate.

Postby Q.U. » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:16 pm

Mir@k wrote:I don't care about crashing inside games. I personally was the type to "drive right" on GTA because i wanted to keep the car i had until i realized i was not having fun driving correctly in a game that has no consequences for reckless driving. And that despawns your car if you don't keep it in a garage in a safe house.

Implying driving cars erratically, in any 3D GTA game was fun for more than 5 minutes.

Implying the flying cars cheat wasn't much more fun anyway.

Implying you shouldn't always be driving a tank in that game instead of cars.
This post is intended for information only. Please do not reply to this message as responses cannot be read or acknowledged due to the stupidity of the user.

Postby Mathias » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:42 pm

When I walk across a street, I feel a sense that I am shrinking because the road doesn't seem as big when I'm driving over it.

Postby Mir@k » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:48 pm

Q.U. wrote:Implying driving cars erratically, in any 3D GTA game was fun for more than 5 minutes.
Note i said recklessly. That doesn't necessarily mean erratic.
Q.U. wrote:Implying the flying cars cheat wasn't much more fun anyway.
fuck you? SEAWAYS & ROCKETMAN represent bing BAM BOOM nigga
Q.U. wrote:Implying you shouldn't always be driving a tank in that game instead of cars.
Tanks are boring as fuck. What kind of amusement is there in making everything that softly caresses any part of your body explode for more than 5 minutes?
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Birdofterror » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:50 pm

Mir@k wrote:Still i think this is another good example of how videogames can also be benefical to society, so long as american parents stop buying underage twits games like call of duty (as if).

Let's see you keep that state of mind when an 12 year old beats the gun out of a big bad man's hand and expertly gets a 360 noscope and saves like 10 peoples' lives.

It's really all about context and what we choose to find value in. If nothing else, CoD at least teaches you how to use ironsights, even if a thousand other games would be better for it.

This reminds me of the time when a guy and his mom were hiking in a forest when a fucking moose ganked them, and the guy used tricks from World of Warcraft to taunt the moose then feign death to make it go away, saving his mom's life.

Vidya gaems save lives. We can't choose which ones can or can't save people. From World of Warcraft to Mario Kart to Call of Duty, it's all about the individual.
"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby Blood Lord » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:56 pm

CoD doesn't teach you how to use iron sights, don't be silly. That can't compare to the real thing at all.

The advantages of video games have actually been found to be improved eye hand coordination (not as much if you went out and threw a baseball with a friend for a few minute), but also improved skill in problem solving. Very interesting day in psychology, that was. I still have the notes and the book... somewhere around here.
Stufflikehearts - He is a Sith Lord. I love Blood Lord :3
Jeffffey - Blood, you look at the information someone says, look over what really happened, and reply in a way that makes them realize what they were really thinking.
Light10s - Blood Lord! Your avatars are becoming more epic. You make me feel like getting on all fours and submitting my loyalty and obedience to you.
Fievel - Numerous campaigns and conquests, countless bodies decaying after the abandonment of victorious battlefields. Such is the life of Blood Lord.
Dusk_Imp - Blood Lord is like a celebrity here. Everything he does is pure awesome. ALL HAIL BLOOD LORD
Doctress Who - Why couldn't there be a Blood Lord in every forum? It would make life so much easier.
Semper Vigilans

Postby Birdofterror » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:22 am

Blood Lord wrote:CoD doesn't teach you how to use iron sights, don't be silly. That can't compare to the real thing at all.
I guess I was just taking my own personal experience at face value. With very little experience with an actual weapon, I used the concepts I learned in various shooting games and hit my targets with practice guns with pretty nice accuracy.

Understanding the concepts of Ironsights and knowing what they are for were kind of what I was talking about, even outside of direct experience, at least seeing it in action- even in a game simulation was all I needed to put it into practice successfully.

Maybe it was just me?

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby Blood Lord » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:24 am

Now of course that isn't all that you get from games, you have to calculate what the game is that you are playing and the type of individual.

for example, most of my knowledge about the Italian Renaissance is coming from Assassin's Creed 2.
http://cronkitehhh.personal.asu.edu/wp- ... t-bad.jpeg
Stufflikehearts - He is a Sith Lord. I love Blood Lord :3
Jeffffey - Blood, you look at the information someone says, look over what really happened, and reply in a way that makes them realize what they were really thinking.
Light10s - Blood Lord! Your avatars are becoming more epic. You make me feel like getting on all fours and submitting my loyalty and obedience to you.
Fievel - Numerous campaigns and conquests, countless bodies decaying after the abandonment of victorious battlefields. Such is the life of Blood Lord.
Dusk_Imp - Blood Lord is like a celebrity here. Everything he does is pure awesome. ALL HAIL BLOOD LORD
Doctress Who - Why couldn't there be a Blood Lord in every forum? It would make life so much easier.
Semper Vigilans

Postby noxux » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:49 am

Supposedly videogames can change your time of reaction, general knowledge and eye range or how far you see.
"The best thing about life is not knowing what will happen, what we do shows who we are" -иохчх
Pabst:"Aww, you're no fun Noxux.
A Fight in a Flash
I am a very tall midget

Postby The Mad Doctor » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:45 am

noxux wrote:how far you see.
Nope I know that to be false.
I wear glassess because of playing games too close to my tv, because it is rather fucking small. No, not reading glasses, but glassess to for near sightedness. Don't asume about what you gain from playing videogames unless it actually does something usefull.

I love things for the exact same reason you hate them for.
Blighttown is easy

Postby Mir@k » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:09 am

i'm so glad i have birdot on my foe list because then i just have to bear with his dumbass for his first post to know not to see the rest
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Birdofterror » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:07 am

That's completely uncalled for, but no skin off my nose. Kids do amazing things when put to the test. First WoW, then Mario Kart. It's astonishing really.

Knowledge is power, even CoD. It just depends on the situation and the individual. For someone with no experience in the subject, you seem to have a strong opinion on parenting and video games' effectiveness with it. So far it seems to save lives, not take them. You're wrong, and that's okay. ;)

Bird oft Error

Postby The Mad Doctor » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:13 am

I don't think cod actually helps with anything. I seen people who think they know everything about weapons because of cod, but in truth, they usually look like an idiot to actual gun experts.

Blighttown is easy

Postby Birdofterror » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:20 am

Was the kid who saved his Great Grandma's life an expert at driving?

No. He wasn't. He had the concept. That's all he needed. That's all he had.

It was enough to save a life.

Bird oft Error

Postby noxux » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:34 am

Birdof see it this way in Mario Kart you move the Wii remote like a wheel so is like driving, in CoD they teach or show nothing, they don't teach of how grab the weapon how to remplace bullets, the most they teach is how to aim and that if you shoot/knife someone in the foot they die.
"The best thing about life is not knowing what will happen, what we do shows who we are" -иохчх
A Fight in a Flash
I am a very tall midget

Postby Birdofterror » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:40 am

What about World of Warcraft and the moose? Surely playing with a mouse and keyboard is second nature to provoking large Canadian wildlife just like holding a Wiimote can teach you how to drive a car. :?

Once again, it's not about the experience, it's about the concept. The Wiimote didn't help him drive the car; the concepts within the game did. He understood the concept of ditches slowing down cars, just like the WoW taunter understood the concept of aggro provoking wildlife.

And to your whole Bullet and Knife thing, kids aren't stupid. They KNOW that shit is fake. People are stupid for thinking kids are stupid. They are not, they have shown time and time again that they are not. They know what adheres to real life and what doesn't. Like ditches.

Bird oft Error

Postby The Mad Doctor » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:03 pm

Birdofterror wrote:And to your whole Bullet and Knife thing, kids aren't stupid. They KNOW that shit is fake.

Try to tell that to an eight year old who's addicted to cod.

Blighttown is easy

Postby noxux » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:47 pm

Birdofterror wrote:And to your whole Bullet and Knife thing, kids aren't stupid. They KNOW that shit is fake. People are stupid for thinking kids are stupid.

First I didn't mean all the kids but many that I have hear talking thinks that this is real well that CoD is real.
Second let's take this to PM so we don't get off topic here.
A Fight in a Flash
I am a very tall midget

Next

Return to Wham, Spam, Thank you, Ma'am!